Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

front license plate removal

Go down 
+22
charlieRobinson
llamalor2112
stan
GMFreak8
97rivsc
Derek
97 park ave
robotennis61
Rickw
Eldo
DEMonte1997
1998 Riv
brians74x
jonly
Sweepspear
Ash
#1BearsFan
99Rivman
deekster_caddy
albertj
AA
KillaKeninaRiv
26 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

Name : Dave
Merit : 44

front license plate removal - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: front license plate removal   front license plate removal - Page 4 EmptyMon Dec 09, 2013 7:44 pm

I should probably buy a bracket and get the Riv legal for my daughter for next spring.
Back to top Go down
69GSColorado
Fanatic
69GSColorado

Name : Jordon
Merit : 29

PostSubject: Re: front license plate removal   front license plate removal - Page 4 EmptyMon Dec 09, 2013 8:15 pm

Yes the front plate is that bad. I've been stopped twice for it but I have fabricated this beautiful story that keeps me from getting a ticket. I actually bought a new plate bracket, and I carry it with me in the trunk. I tell the officer the plate bracket has been on back order for months, and it just recently came in. I even offer to show it to him, but they just tell me to get it put on as soon as possible. I'll sell the car before that atrocity is mounted on my Riv.
Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

Name : Charlie
Merit : 31

PostSubject: Re: front license plate removal   front license plate removal - Page 4 EmptyMon Dec 09, 2013 8:57 pm

bigdave wrote:
I don't think the factory bracket and license plate look bad on these cars at all. In fact, I think the front bumper covers look a bit plain without them.

Yeah..... keep telling yourself that....  lmfao 
Back to top Go down
llamalor2112
Junkie
llamalor2112

Name : Evan
Merit : 13

PostSubject: Re: front license plate removal   front license plate removal - Page 4 EmptyMon Dec 09, 2013 9:47 pm

I don't think it looks terrible with it, just better without. All considered its about the best/least stylistically invasive bracket I've seen on such a protruding round-nosed car. When the car turns 30 and qualifies for collector plates I'll ditch the front plate and get the front bumper holes filled n repainted. Until then, me and everybody else in Washington can enjoy our front bug catchers. (This is what I tell myself at least. My brother in law whom I see often is state patrol and wouldn't be so kind to me about such things as to give me a friendly warning...sigh)
Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

Name : Charlie
Merit : 31

PostSubject: Re: front license plate removal   front license plate removal - Page 4 EmptyMon Dec 09, 2013 10:00 pm

This is pretty interesting..
http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2013/10/how-many-states-require-front-license-plates.html
front license plate removal - Page 4 6a00d83451b3c669e2019b003ee537970b-800wi
Back to top Go down
stan
Expert

Merit : 12

PostSubject: Re: front license plate removal   front license plate removal - Page 4 EmptyMon Dec 09, 2013 10:49 pm

man...Charlie...I hate that map.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: front license plate removal   front license plate removal - Page 4 EmptyTue Dec 10, 2013 10:54 am

Okay, so even if you got one of those retractable things, still why would you leave it hidden, except for shows? And how many of you are showing your car anyway? Why give a reason to be pulled over? It makes no sense. Just leave the front plate where it belongs.

And that map just shows why it should be designed in from the factory - the majority of states require it.

Would it be different if the front plate location were 'properly integrated' into the design of the front end instead of looking like an afterthought?
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

PostSubject: Re: front license plate removal   front license plate removal - Page 4 EmptyTue Dec 10, 2013 11:28 am

Well I've never been stopped because of the missing plate, but got a warning for it when I messed up and didn't notice a reduced speed limit sign and got a speeding ticket.

My Riv came from Florida originally which meant no front plate. It then went to MN which DOES require it, but the older gentleman I bought it from wasn't interested in having one installed, and never got stopped for it in MN either. I'll put one on in March instead of giving our fine local officers an additional reason to pull over my daughter when she starts driving to school.
Back to top Go down
stan
Expert

PostSubject: Re: front license plate removal   front license plate removal - Page 4 EmptyTue Dec 10, 2013 12:29 pm

but Dave,can't you get a retractable bracket?...just don't drill the bumper.
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

PostSubject: Re: front license plate removal   front license plate removal - Page 4 EmptyTue Dec 10, 2013 1:05 pm

I see no reason to spend $50 on that thing. My Riv is going downhill fast, inside and out. I'm really not concerned about the cosmetics anymore, it's beyond financial feasibility to try to preserve it.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: front license plate removal   front license plate removal - Page 4 EmptyTue Dec 10, 2013 1:32 pm

Well I wasn't intending to search but this link fell into my view today, completely by chance. Michigan is seeking to require front plates claiming crime deterrent and public safety!

http://hunter.senatedems.com/news/article/hunter-introduces-new-license-plate-bill-to-combat-crime-protect-citizens
Back to top Go down
stan
Expert

PostSubject: Re: front license plate removal   front license plate removal - Page 4 EmptyTue Dec 10, 2013 1:47 pm

Ohhh....Derek!...the way the things r goin' I think we gotta wait for the shit to go digital.Imagine just a small concealed area in front ...why not a pop up screen? Your VOLT should have such....hahaha....
Back to top Go down
llamalor2112
Junkie
llamalor2112

PostSubject: Re: front license plate removal   front license plate removal - Page 4 EmptyTue Dec 10, 2013 3:58 pm

As far as showing the car or takin it to any casual events, the best purchase I ever made was this novelty plate. Black with white n red accents to flow with my cars already established look. I think it looks great and at NW Buick open this summer I had sooooo many guys asking about it haha. Pays to shop around and find the less common designs. Wouldn't you really rather have a Buick
front license plate removal - Page 4 IMAG3555-1_zps084506e0
Back to top Go down
stan
Expert

PostSubject: Re: front license plate removal   front license plate removal - Page 4 EmptyTue Dec 10, 2013 4:20 pm

I think the front line of the car is way too great for plates and such......haha
Back to top Go down
bigdave
Fanatic

Merit : 22

PostSubject: Re: front license plate removal   front license plate removal - Page 4 EmptyTue Dec 10, 2013 5:30 pm

Evan, your car looks great! I don't think it would look any better with the plate removed.
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

PostSubject: Re: front license plate removal   front license plate removal - Page 4 EmptyWed Dec 11, 2013 8:58 am

I ordered an OEM plate holder from gmpartsdirect.com yesterday, $28. Used on Ebay was more than that.
Back to top Go down
llamalor2112
Junkie
llamalor2112

PostSubject: Re: front license plate removal   front license plate removal - Page 4 EmptyThu Dec 12, 2013 12:58 am

Thanks Dave (bigdave, so many Daves!) And here's our sister Aurora for sale near here without the front plate. First one I've seen without and weeeeeeird lookin nose this way
front license plate removal - Page 4 00N0N_hmbpw5hpwe9_600x450
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

PostSubject: Re: front license plate removal   front license plate removal - Page 4 EmptyMon Mar 17, 2014 12:18 pm

Sad day tomorrow... I'm preparing to drill holes in the bumper to add my front plate. My daughter starts driving it on Thursday, and I don't want to give the local officers any reason to pull her over. Just gotta stop by NAPA and see if they have some generic hardware to attach the bracket.
Back to top Go down
llamalor2112
Junkie
llamalor2112

PostSubject: Re: front license plate removal   front license plate removal - Page 4 EmptyMon Mar 17, 2014 1:44 pm

Please just buy one of those hideaway brackets? The kind that flips out to show n slides away to hide. Then no holes in the front bumper at least. Sigh... Poor cars. Compliance is always the destroyer of beautiful design in cars
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

PostSubject: Re: front license plate removal   front license plate removal - Page 4 EmptyMon Mar 17, 2014 3:44 pm

Sorry, not gonna happen.
Back to top Go down
99Rivman
Aficionado
99Rivman

Name : Randall
Merit : 89

PostSubject: Re: front license plate removal   front license plate removal - Page 4 EmptyMon Mar 17, 2014 5:21 pm

1998 Riv wrote:
Sad day tomorrow...  I'm preparing to drill holes in the bumper to add my front plate.  My daughter starts driving it on Thursday, and I don't want to give the local officers any reason to pull her over.   Just gotta stop by NAPA and see if they have some generic hardware to attach the bracket.  

Sorry to hear it but you got to do what you got to do. frown  

Just to let you know, the ones I have removed were held on with large pop rivets, just a hole drilled through the cover, then pop riveted on.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/id/99Rivman
99Rivman
Aficionado
99Rivman

Name : Randall
Merit : 89

PostSubject: Re: front license plate removal   front license plate removal - Page 4 EmptyMon Mar 17, 2014 5:22 pm

llamalor2112 wrote:
Sigh... Poor cars. Compliance is always the destroyer of beautiful design in cars

agree
I'm glad we don't have to have it here in NC, my '95 never had one installed  yay , my first Silver Arrow had one when I got it, I had it removed, the holes filled and had the bumper cover painted thumbsup, still have it on my high mileage SA, don't see a point in removing it until I get around to fixing it up.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/id/99Rivman
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

PostSubject: Re: front license plate removal   front license plate removal - Page 4 EmptyMon Mar 17, 2014 7:18 pm

99Rivman wrote:

Just to let you know, the ones I have removed were held on with large pop rivets, just a hole drilled through the cover, then pop riveted on.

I picked up a set of Balkamp screws at NAPA today, 4 for the bracket, 4 for the plate. Thinking I'll drive the Riv home for lunch Tue or Wed and do the dirty deed.
Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

Name : Matt
Merit : 54

PostSubject: Re: front license plate removal   front license plate removal - Page 4 EmptyMon Mar 17, 2014 8:24 pm

I know it might be a bit too late, but here in MD if the car didn't come with means of attaching a front plate you just need to carry it in your vehicle. Basically I could go remove mine, fill in/paint the holes, and say it came that way and I would be fine.

FOR THE PURPOSE OF PROVIDING, FOR A VEHICLE REQUIRED TO DISPLAY TWO REGISTRATION PLATES, THAT THE FRONT REGISTRATION PLATE MAY BE STORED IN A CERTAIN MANNER INSIDE THE VEHICLE IF THE VEHICLE WAS MANUFACTURED WITHOUT A MEANS TO SECURE AND DISPLAY A FRONT PLATE; MAKING STYLISTIC CHANGES; AND GENERALLY RELATING TO REGISTRATION PLATES.

So if your car has no place on the front bumper for the front tag you no longer need to drill holes in the bumper making stylistic changes to your car.
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

PostSubject: Re: front license plate removal   front license plate removal - Page 4 EmptyMon Mar 17, 2014 9:51 pm

Can't do that in ND. And a plate in the dash is not legal either. What's the point of MD having you keep the front plate inside the car? No one can see it anyway...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: front license plate removal   front license plate removal - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

front license plate removal
Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next