Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Scratched Glass

Go down 
+2
97 park ave
BMD
6 posters
AuthorMessage
BMD
Aficionado
BMD

Name : BMD
Merit : 36

Scratched Glass Empty
PostSubject: Scratched Glass   Scratched Glass EmptyThu Apr 22, 2010 3:19 pm

Hey guys, anyone have a way for removing, or at least minimizing scratches in glass. I looked online and there are a few home made solutions. I also read that "jewelers rouge" used my jewelers to polish diamonds might work with a buffer. I got a small scratch on the driver side window, its deep enough for your fingernail to get caught in it but it isn't glaring, I see it everytime cause I know where it is. Its not large enough to have the glass replaced, but I thought I wouldn't hurt to see what you guys think first. study
Back to top Go down
97 park ave
Addict
97 park ave

Name : Tyler
Merit : 21

Scratched Glass Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scratched Glass   Scratched Glass EmptyThu Apr 22, 2010 3:32 pm

isnt there a company called safelite that has some windshield filler machine? i remember seeing it on TV but im not sure if that was for a crack or a scratch, and off the top of my head i dont know of any glass polish.
any pics of the scratch so we know what were dealing with?
Back to top Go down
BMD
Aficionado
BMD

Scratched Glass Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scratched Glass   Scratched Glass EmptyThu Apr 22, 2010 3:36 pm

Scratch is about have an inch long, don't have pic of it. I don't think the stuff for windshields will work cause I think a windsheild is actually made of two planes of glass with an air gap in between, so the repair fluid fills this gap (might be wrong), but thanks for the response Tyler.
Back to top Go down
97 park ave
Addict
97 park ave

Name : Tyler
Merit : 21

Scratched Glass Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scratched Glass   Scratched Glass EmptyThu Apr 22, 2010 3:53 pm

in all honesty, youre probably right. i have no idea how a windshield is made but im guessing that company repaired cracks not scratches. either way im not sure ive ever seen a glass polish (not like i have ever looked though so im sure its out there)
heres a few links of products i found so far, ill look more later but i wasnt able to find anything local:

http://www.autogeek.net/diglkitforma.html

http://www.amazon.com/Quixx-00040-US-Acrylic-Scratch-Remover/dp/B00164QBKM
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Name : Mark
Merit : 104

Scratched Glass Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scratched Glass   Scratched Glass EmptyThu Apr 22, 2010 4:35 pm

Actually, a windshield (unlike the rest of the glass on the car,) is made of 2 layers of glass laminated with a layer of sticky plastic in the middle...

While the kind of damage those companies usually repair IS probably cracks all the way down to the plastic layer, which would give the repair material a better 'anchor', they do end up polishing it up on the outside so that it's flat and invisible. It would certainly be worth a phone call to ask if they can fill a simple scratch.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

Scratched Glass Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scratched Glass   Scratched Glass EmptyThu Apr 22, 2010 6:59 pm

[quote="97 park ave"]in all honesty, youre probably right. i have no idea how a windshield is made but im guessing that company repaired cracks not scratches. either way im not sure ive ever seen a glass polish (not like i have ever looked though so im sure its out there)
heres a few links of products i found so far, ill look more later but i wasnt able to find anything local:

http://www.autogeek.net/diglkitforma.html

Have you ever used the product listed above by any chance,?

I like the sound of being able to buff out my windshield along with doing the body, now that the Spring weather is here.
I don't have any real scratches that I am aware of, but I have a stained windshield and small pock marks that you couldn't measure without a very accurate depth gauge with a pointed tip and be able to measure in 0.0001"
They don't sound like much but when your traveling withe sun on your face it is very distracting. Between the inherent window glare and the condition of my w/s I'm almost ready for a new one.
But i would like to find a product that could be idiot proof, so as to allow someone I know and trust. to do it after detailing the rest of the car.
Maybe Ill do it and see what happens to my back.
Back to top Go down
BMD
Aficionado
BMD

Scratched Glass Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scratched Glass   Scratched Glass EmptyFri Apr 23, 2010 12:41 pm

Thanks for the links guys. I've seen the Quixx product but it only works on acrylic glass or plexi-glass. I went to a local glass guy and he said if you can feel it then its easier to replace it. I haven't gone yet to large chain shop, so we'll see what they say. It looks like removing scratches from glass is pretty involved, based on this clip...