Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Abaddon's Riv

Go down 
+40
Animator
Johnny5
98riv
Sir Psycho Sexy
matt270avian
T Riley
Snowdog
al_roethlisberger
charlieRobinson
llamalor2112
Neg Maron Rivi
deekster_caddy
ghpcnm
Derek
BlownRiv
bigdave
crlombardi69
turtleman
L67
flyineagle96
GMFreak8
J. Chris Davis
albertj
97 park ave
ghost88
AA
Eldo
robotennis61
Rickw
Jayrydingslab
stan
Tank
DEMonte1997
VJD2
Hometown Hero
BMD
florence_x
Abaddon
44 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 15 ... 25  Next
AuthorMessage
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

Abaddon's Riv - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Abaddon's Riv   Abaddon's Riv - Page 5 EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 11:50 am

I know you guys have seen it, but here it is again rolleyes

Abaddon's Riv - Page 5 RivFront
Abaddon's Riv - Page 5 PostableRivRear-1
Back to top Go down
flyineagle96
Junkie
flyineagle96

Name : James E
Merit : 23

PostSubject: Re: Abaddon's Riv   Abaddon's Riv - Page 5 EmptyWed Oct 27, 2010 3:58 pm

I like the tips,the wheels need to go.Don't you work at gm?You could get a set of nice cromies of a new regal.
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

PostSubject: Re: Abaddon's Riv   Abaddon's Riv - Page 5 EmptyWed Oct 27, 2010 4:24 pm

In due time my friend, the wheels will go. No, I don't work at GM. I used to work a GM dealer. The wheels will probably be there for a while as I'm spending all my $$$ on the new engine.

Here's an ass shot for 'ya! I love the way the sun was hittin the tail light!
Abaddon's Riv - Page 5 100_1024
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: Abaddon's Riv   Abaddon's Riv - Page 5 EmptyWed Oct 27, 2010 6:27 pm

nicessss
Back to top Go down
flyineagle96
Junkie
flyineagle96

PostSubject: Re: Abaddon's Riv   Abaddon's Riv - Page 5 EmptyWed Oct 27, 2010 6:29 pm

Look's cool,i like the look of your mufflers,tips.ever think of painting up the y so it matches better?
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

PostSubject: Re: Abaddon's Riv   Abaddon's Riv - Page 5 EmptyWed Oct 27, 2010 8:05 pm

flyineagle96 wrote:
Look's cool,i like the look of your mufflers,tips.ever think of painting up the y so it matches better?

The Y is painted....BLACK! It was the same color as everything else, but it was too much silver IMO. I was pissed when I took this pic though. I didn't notice till later that I missed a spot (cleaning) on the very top of the inner left tip.
Back to top Go down
L67
Aficionado

Name : Matt
Merit : 37

PostSubject: Re: Abaddon's Riv   Abaddon's Riv - Page 5 EmptyWed Oct 27, 2010 8:24 pm

Abaddon wrote:
flyineagle96 wrote:

The Y is painted....BLACK! It was the same color as everything else, but it was too much silver IMO. I was pissed when I took this pic though. I didn't notice till later that I missed a spot (cleaning) on the very top of the inner left tip.

Perfectionist rolleyes
Back to top Go down
flyineagle96
Junkie
flyineagle96

PostSubject: temp   Abaddon's Riv - Page 5 EmptyWed Oct 27, 2010 11:02 pm

Never would have noticed,if you didn't tell,again i like those!!! thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

PostSubject: Re: Abaddon's Riv   Abaddon's Riv - Page 5 EmptyFri Nov 19, 2010 11:12 pm

Well, first break-down stuck on the side of the road happened today. The woman left around 6:00pm today (in my car) with the baby. I was getting ready for Bowling....my phone rings. "Your car broke down" she says. I'm like WTF?! She said she heard a noise, the P/S stopped working, lights went dim, and the Battery Light came on. I immediately thought belt failure. I hurry up to get to her, and she managed to make it into a parking lot, right in front of a restaurant, blocking traffic. Luckily it had enough juice to make it across the Parking Lot to the "empty" section. Pop the hood, and find that the Tensioner Pulley that I replaced in the Spring grenaded, leaving only the bearing and the bolt.

Plus = I have a tensioner with the other engine, and the belt is still in one piece. Gravy fix....

Minus = I have to work in the morning and won't be able to get to it until about 1pm.

Sorry for the long story, but I had to experience it, and so should all of you! Abaddon's Riv - Page 5 Bgrthefi Abaddon's Riv - Page 5 725524
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: Abaddon's Riv   Abaddon's Riv - Page 5 EmptySat Nov 20, 2010 12:06 am

I don't mind experiencing the story.!!

You have to deal with this woman ever day and every time she takes your car and breaks it. Abaddon's Riv - Page 5 Icon_hea

Which seems to be quite often. tongue
Back to top Go down
DEMonte1997
Aficionado
DEMonte1997

Merit : 37

PostSubject: Re: Abaddon's Riv   Abaddon's Riv - Page 5 EmptySat Nov 20, 2010 12:21 pm

That's one of my biggest worries with a car (having a pulley bomb and losing belt). Sounds like you made out alright considering.

Last edited by DEMonte1997 on Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
BMD
Aficionado
BMD

Name : BMD
Merit : 36

PostSubject: Re: Abaddon's Riv   Abaddon's Riv - Page 5 EmptySat Nov 20, 2010 2:31 pm

So the new pulley lasted like 7 months, what brand was it? This makes me think that if my pulleys aren't makin' noise, don't change them in the name of preventative maintenance. confused
Back to top Go down
flyineagle96
Junkie
flyineagle96

PostSubject: Re: Abaddon's Riv   Abaddon's Riv - Page 5 EmptySat Nov 20, 2010 2:35 pm

That is why, i don't let any women drive my Riv's. If something brakes,i know it's my fault and i "won't" have to kill anyone!!! lol
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Abaddon's Riv   Abaddon's Riv - Page 5 EmptyMon Nov 22, 2010 3:53 pm

BMD wrote:
So the new pulley lasted like 7 months, what brand was it? This makes me think that if my pulleys aren't makin' noise, don't change them in the name of preventative maintenance. confused

given the high quality of some of the available bearings, this is quite true. The right pulley will spin a very, very long time.
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

PostSubject: Re: Abaddon's Riv   Abaddon's Riv - Page 5 EmptyMon Nov 22, 2010 5:06 pm

Well, it took me all of 5 minutes to fix it in the parking lot! The belt survived the bomb, and managed not to wrap itself around the Balancer. The bearing of the tensioner pulley (what was left of it) was frozen solid. The only part of the pulley that was left was a little ring around the bearing. I'm not sure which pulley (steel or plastic) is originally supposed to be on there, but it has a Duralast (Autozone) steel pulley on it now. The pulley that was on it was plastic. The Duralast pulley is made in the U.S., and was only $18. The noise that I thought was my P/S pump, (which has been whining a lil for 3 years) was actually that pulley. Stupid Chinese CarQuest garbage!

And, to kick myself in the junk a lil harder, I left my radio face at work Saturday morning. I had no tunes all weekend!!!! Just RRRRROOOOORRRRROOOOOAAAAARRRRHHHHHMMMMMMM of the exhaust and a screaming SuperCharger. It was kind of annoying lol neutral
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: Abaddon's Riv   Abaddon's Riv - Page 5 EmptyMon Nov 22, 2010 5:08 pm

haha!
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Abaddon's Riv   Abaddon's Riv - Page 5 EmptyMon Nov 22, 2010 9:08 pm

Abaddon wrote:
Well, it took me all of 5 minutes to fix it in the parking lot! The belt survived the bomb, and managed not to wrap itself around the Balancer. The bearing of the tensioner pulley (what was left of it) was frozen solid. The only part of the pulley that was left was a little ring around the bearing. I'm not sure which pulley (steel or plastic) is originally supposed to be on there, but it has a Duralast (Autozone) steel pulley on it now. The pulley that was on it was plastic. The Duralast pulley is made in the U.S., and was only $18. The noise that I thought was my P/S pump, (which has been whining a lil for 3 years) was actually that pulley. Stupid Chinese CarQuest garbage!

And, to kick myself in the junk a lil harder, I left my radio face at work Saturday morning. I had no tunes all weekend!!!! Just RRRRROOOOORRRRROOOOOAAAAARRRRHHHHHMMMMMMM of the exhaust and a screaming SuperCharger. It was kind of annoying lol neutral

I was wondering how long it was gonna take for CarQuest to skimp on quality given their "points" they give to people in the trade that buy their stuff.
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Name : Mark
Merit : 104

PostSubject: Re: Abaddon's Riv   Abaddon's Riv - Page 5 EmptyTue Nov 23, 2010 1:29 am

Abaddon wrote:
.....but it has a Duralast (Autozone) steel pulley on it now. The pulley that was on it was plastic. The Duralast pulley is made in the U.S., and was only $18. |

You're joking!! Made in, oh what is the name? The USA???
wow
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

PostSubject: Re: Abaddon's Riv   Abaddon's Riv - Page 5 EmptyTue Nov 23, 2010 9:44 am

Eldo wrote:
You're joking!! Made in, oh what is the name? The USA???
wow

LOL yes, you read that right. The bearings in the pulley said "China", but apparently the pulley itself is made right here in the USA, or the box was made here confused

Even the Duralast TPS sensor I bought for the Jimmy was made here in the U.S, and has a 2 year warranty instead of the 1 year the China ones have! It was only $24.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: Abaddon's Riv   Abaddon's Riv - Page 5 EmptyTue Nov 23, 2010 2:12 pm

Abaddon wrote:
The noise that I thought was my P/S pump, (which has been whining a lil for 3 years) was actually that pulley. Stupid Chinese CarQuest garbage!

How can that be if you replaced this pulley 7 months ago.??? Curious how that works.

I have had a slight whine from Power Steering pump for about 3 years now and replaced all pulleys and belts 2 years ago. Even flushed pump and steering rack the proper way and still can hear it whine when turning the wheel at slow speeds.
It's not bad enough to replace and hasn't gotten any louder. Even tried some Lucas treatment and I never use additives. Didn't seem to help but didn't hurt it either.
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

PostSubject: Re: Abaddon's Riv   Abaddon's Riv - Page 5 EmptyTue Nov 23, 2010 2:56 pm

Rick, as I said, the P/S pump has been whining a bit (especially on cold starts) for about 3 years. I replaced all the idler and tensioner pulleys 7 months ago. The main reason being that the idler behind the engine mount bracket was loose as hell. I figured "while I'm in there" I'd replace 'em all. this way I knew they were all good. About a month ago, the "whining" from the P/S pump sounded like it was getting louder. It was making this gradually louder (every day) hollow whine that would stop once the car warmed up. Never looked at it, never checked it. Just assumed it was the P/S pump about to FA!L. Apparently not......it was that damn tensioner pulley!!! shout
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Abaddon's Riv   Abaddon's Riv - Page 5 EmptyWed Nov 24, 2010 8:59 pm

Rickw wrote:
Abaddon wrote:
The noise that I thought was my P/S pump, (which has been whining a lil for 3 years) was actually that pulley. Stupid Chinese CarQuest garbage!

How can that be if you replaced this pulley 7 months ago.??? Curious how that works.

I have had a slight whine from Power Steering pump for about 3 years now and replaced all pulleys and belts 2 years ago. Even flushed pump and steering rack the proper way and still can hear it whine when turning the wheel at slow speeds.
It's not bad enough to replace and hasn't gotten any louder. Even tried some Lucas treatment and I never use additives. Didn't seem to help but didn't hurt it either.

isn't a slight whine normal? I forget.
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

PostSubject: Re: Abaddon's Riv   Abaddon's Riv - Page 5 EmptyWed Nov 24, 2010 10:03 pm

The only reason a "good" P/S pump whines is because the fluid is aerated. Most people on this forum probably have no idea that their rack and pinion is leaking from the stub shaft seal. Even a slight leak from this seal will introduce air into the system, creating the "normal" whine. Every single 3800 powered vehicle I've seen on a hoist seeps fluid from that seal. Bleed the system until you're blue in face....the noise will return. The leak is absolutely harmless. Until it goes totally bad to the point where the fluid reaches the ground, it's ignorable.
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: Abaddon's Riv   Abaddon's Riv - Page 5 EmptyWed Nov 24, 2010 10:37 pm

Abaddon wrote:
The only reason a "good" P/S pump whines is because the fluid is aerated. Most people on this forum probably have no idea that their rack and pinion is leaking from the stub shaft seal. Even a slight leak from this seal will introduce air into the system, creating the "normal" whine. Every single 3800 powered vehicle I've seen on a hoist seeps fluid from that seal. Bleed the system until you're blue in face....the noise will return. The leak is absolutely harmless. Until it goes totally bad to the point where the fluid reaches the ground, it's ignorable.

thats pretty interesting.
Back to top Go down
flyineagle96
Junkie
flyineagle96

PostSubject: Re: Abaddon's Riv   Abaddon's Riv - Page 5 EmptyWed Nov 24, 2010 10:48 pm

No No, i only want "foam" on my Cappuccino. lmao
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Abaddon's Riv   Abaddon's Riv - Page 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

Abaddon's Riv
Page 5 of 25Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 15 ... 25  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Riv Performance ::   General :: Showroom-
Jump to: