Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel

Go down 
+26
sburch23
Cmurphy
AA
Abaddon
duckstu
Rickw
EatDirtFartDust
BMD
1wickedninja
Chicken
'96reese
skuchin
T Riley
sqrivi
Jack the R
IBx1
TonySmooth89
albertj
palermocorey90
xxsupergman25xx
deekster_caddy
Shintsu
1998 Riv
ibmoses
97rivman
turtleman
30 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

Name : Codith
Merit : 140

Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel Empty
PostSubject: Steering Wheel Swap & Air Bag Concerns   Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel EmptySat Feb 23, 2008 1:56 am

I'm pretty sure that I want to swap out my steering wheel and air bag assembly. The leather on my steering wheel has worn down enough to make me put a cover on it and my buttons are all worn out and poor looking. The buttons no longer work at all now since I have an aftermarket radio and I really have no desire to install the PAC.

So, I was planning and getting a good condition wheel to put in and get the air bag thats the same type but without the radio controls on it. (most likely from a Lesabre) Is there any reason why I wouldn't be able to do this?
Back to top Go down
97rivman
Fanatic
97rivman

Name : alex
Merit : 2

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel   Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel EmptySat Feb 23, 2008 5:51 am

Fuck the airbag, seriously!!! Buy a real nice racing wheel or whatever suits you. And a 4 point harness. It'll bolt into the stock seat belts and the two bolts in the back seat.

Then take the airbag wires and wire them up to a car charger or spliced wire and then plug it in and out real quick. you'll understand.... I'd say equal to about a 1/2 stick of dynomite.
Back to top Go down
ibmoses
Aficionado
ibmoses

Name : Bert
Merit : 32

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel   Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel EmptySat Feb 23, 2008 8:56 am

97rivman wrote:
Fuck the airbag, seriously!!! Buy a real nice racing wheel or whatever suits you. And a 4 point harness. It'll bolt into the stock seat belts and the two bolts in the back seat.

Then take the airbag wires and wire them up to a car charger or spliced wire and then plug it in and out real quick. you'll understand.... I'd say equal to about a 1/2 stick of dynomite.

I like the idea of the racing wheel and the four point harness:rock: but if you disable the air bag the insurance company might refuse to pay:nervous: if you were in an accident...

Bert
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

Name : Dave
Merit : 44

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel   Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel EmptySat Feb 23, 2008 10:42 am

Oddly, it doesn't bother me to drive around in my 68 w/o airbags, but I'd never even consider removing them from the Riv. I guess because I drive the 68 differently on the street than the way I drive the Riv.

A steering wheel can inflict significant injury in a collision.

If your Riv is street driven regularly, do not ditch the airbag. I don't know why Alex wants to post that suggestion everytime someone posts about not liking their steering wheel. You've got big time liability in an accident if you've tampered with the airbag so it doesn't work, or is missing. Or if you resell the car w/o putting it back in working order, or telling the buyer.
Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel   Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel EmptySat Feb 23, 2008 11:11 am

97rivman wrote:

If I was tubbing the riv, that would make sense, but I'm keeping the interior and I actually like the steering wheel - also the reason why I'm keeping the stock seats instead of getting ones that don't just let me fall sideways through mild turns lol.

In terms of safety, My airbag in my last car pretty much saved my life in a 75mph head on collision. I got out with a scratch. The guy who ran into me in a bagless F150 went to the ER. I'll keep mine.
Back to top Go down
Shintsu
Expert

Name : Shintsu
Merit : -16

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel   Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel EmptySat Feb 23, 2008 2:11 pm

turtleman wrote:
In terms of safety, My airbag in my last car pretty much saved my life in a 75mph head on collision. I got out with a scratch. The guy who ran into me in a bagless F150 went to the ER. I'll keep mine.
agree
Don't rice it by sticking a race wheel in it. It's not a Honda. Never saw much point in ripping out the old steering wheel and sticking an aftermarket one in so you can lose your airbag. They make them standard on every car now for a reason...
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel   Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel EmptySat Feb 23, 2008 9:18 pm

I think a LeSabre wheel would look okay in there. Some of them had steering wheel controls too!
Back to top Go down
xxsupergman25xx
Aficionado
xxsupergman25xx

Name : Scotty
Merit : 13

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel   Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel EmptySun Feb 24, 2008 1:36 pm

yupp my dad had a LeSabre.. they had the controls on the wheels...get that one smile
Back to top Go down
http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/xxsupergman25xx/
palermocorey90
Expert
palermocorey90

Name : Corey
Merit : -24

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel   Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel EmptySun Feb 24, 2008 1:58 pm

STS, Seville wheel, one from an eldo
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/glowinstrat
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel   Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel EmptySun Feb 24, 2008 8:18 pm

watch out for the switch functions to be different on the different GM wheels that will otherwise fit.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
TonySmooth89
Aficionado
TonySmooth89

Name : Anthony
Merit : 16

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel   Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel EmptySun Feb 24, 2008 11:21 pm

i like the dark brown wheel in my brothers Park Avenue , it offsets the interior pretty nice ,and its more upscale looking than the rivs. plus it has controls in the middle of the wheel rather than as an add on.
Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel   Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel EmptySat Mar 08, 2008 9:04 pm

Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel DSC02816

Buttons are gone!
Back to top Go down
IBx1
Expert
IBx1

Name : ILAN
Merit : 69

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel   Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel EmptySat Mar 08, 2008 9:06 pm

Where did they go? Also, have you considered putting gagues in place of the side air vents?
Back to top Go down
palermocorey90
Expert
palermocorey90

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel   Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel EmptySat Mar 08, 2008 9:17 pm

turtleman wrote:
Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel DSC02816

Buttons are gone!

you listened to me OMG the GED kid knows something clap
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

Merit : 105

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel   Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel EmptySat Mar 08, 2008 10:08 pm

IBx1 wrote:
Where did they go? Also, have you considered putting gagues in place of the side air vents?

Doesn't he have enough guages?
Back to top Go down
palermocorey90
Expert
palermocorey90

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel   Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel EmptySun Mar 09, 2008 9:40 am

not to be codith the racer he still needs a 17" Tach. damn right code
Back to top Go down
sqrivi
Fanatic

Name : scott
Merit : 52

PostSubject: steering wheel swap   Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel EmptyThu Apr 17, 2008 8:12 pm

Does anyone know if this wheel can be adapted to work in a '97 rivi?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33704&viewitem=&item=350047742137&_trksid=p3907.m29
Back to top Go down
palermocorey90
Expert
palermocorey90

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel   Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel EmptyThu Apr 17, 2008 8:26 pm

im sure that you can
Back to top Go down
sqrivi
Fanatic

Name : scott
Merit : 52

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel   Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel EmptyThu Apr 17, 2008 9:12 pm

What about the audio controls?
Back to top Go down
T Riley
Guru
T Riley

Name : Travis
Merit : 10

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel   Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel EmptyThu Apr 17, 2008 10:55 pm

sqrivi wrote:
What about the audio controls?

go for it twisted be the first
Back to top Go down
http://www.rivperformance.com
skuchin
Special

Merit : 0

PostSubject: How do I take off air bag Steering Wheel 97 Riviera   Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel EmptyWed Aug 27, 2008 8:41 pm

Can someone tell me how to remove a steering wheel on a 97 Riviera without blowing the airbag? My tilt wheel is falling apart. Also, I am having trouble with my AC/Heater fan not working all the time, could it be in the sterring wheel? I have read elsewhere in this forum about the "blower control module" but sence I have to get into steering wheel, is there any chance that could be my problem? Thanks Steve
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel   Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel EmptyWed Aug 27, 2008 8:54 pm

First pull your airbag fuse.

The airbag comes off from the back. There are 4 clips you need to release with a screwdriver or something thin and flat. I find they are only accessible when the wheel is 90 degrees from center L or R. Once the spring clips are off the airbag just comes out. Disconnect the wires...

Then you need a regular old steering wheel puller for the rest. A couple of small C-clip pliery things and you are deep in there...

What is going on with your blower? That's a different issue I suspect. The only thing having to do with the steering wheel is the temp control steering wheel button, if so equipped.
Back to top Go down
skuchin
Special

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel   Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel EmptyThu Aug 28, 2008 8:25 pm

Thanks, I guess I know what I'll be doing this weekend.
Back to top Go down
'96reese
Fanatic

Name : Reese
Merit : 4

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel   Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel EmptyFri Aug 29, 2008 1:16 am

hey wait about an hour after you pull that air bag fuse. if not and you start messing with steering wheel the air bag will still deploy. its a safety feature. wait an hour after you pull the fuse.

i agree with deek on the ac/heater problem. what is it doing exactly? not blowing on any setting?
Back to top Go down
skuchin
Special

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel   Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel EmptyFri Aug 29, 2008 11:26 am

Thanks for the tip on waiting an hour, I have heard stories about acidental airbag inflation, and I am a little nervous about playing with it.

A few weeks ago ac blower started acting up, not blowing then all of a sudden start, might have been my imagination, but it seemed like sometime it would start when I would turn a corner or hit a slight bump in the road. I would beat on sterring wheel/ dash above switch and could never make it come on. Now as few days ago it quit blowing completely, won't come on at all. Not on any setting.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel   Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel Empty

Back to top Go down

Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next