Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel

Go down 
+26
sburch23
Cmurphy
AA
Abaddon
duckstu
Rickw
EatDirtFartDust
BMD
1wickedninja
Chicken
'96reese
skuchin
T Riley
sqrivi
Jack the R
IBx1
TonySmooth89
albertj
palermocorey90
xxsupergman25xx
deekster_caddy
Shintsu
1998 Riv
ibmoses
97rivman
turtleman
30 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel   Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel - Page 3 EmptyMon Apr 26, 2010 11:14 pm

Anyone who tries this, please be careful. Make sure you are never in front of the steering wheel at any time during the procedure.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel   Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel - Page 3 EmptyMon Apr 26, 2010 11:22 pm

As long as you disconnect the battery, and your not probing around with a test light, you'll be ok.

I've only seen 1 airbag go off on someone during repairs, but that's cause the dumb ass FA!LED to abide by those rules and had the key on.....btw it was an entire side-curtain in a Yukon.
Back to top Go down
BMD
Aficionado
BMD

Name : BMD
Merit : 36

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel   Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 20, 2010 11:09 pm

Well I followed the instructions I found online and successfully dis-armed the air bag system and switched my steering wheel. There are a few differences from the instructions in my first post.

DO THIS REPAIR AT YOUR OWN RISK. I DO NOT TAKE ANY RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY INJURIES THAT INDIVIDUALS MAY SUFFER FOLLOWING THESE INSTRUCTIONS!

Before disabling the Supplemental Restraint System (SRS), turn ignition to the ON position and observe the air bag lamp in dash. This lamp should flash 7 times and then go out. If lamp remains on before or after the 7 flashes, a problem exists in the system and MUST be repaired before proceeding with the disabling procedure.

Position the steering wheel so that you can reach the 2 spring fasteners. Take the keys out of the ignition and put aside.
Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel - Page 3 389913480
Disconnect the negative battery cable and wait at least 1 full minute for the circuit to completely discharge before proceeding. I wasn't in any hurry so I waited overnight, and also removed the positive cable.
CAUTION: Failure to fully deplete the backup power supply could result in an accidental deployment and possible injury.
Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel - Page 3 389913482
Remove the air bag fuse from the fuse panel

Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel - Page 3 389913484
Disconnect the blue connector position assurance clip (CPA) from yellow SIR connector under dash. To get to it you will have to remove the black plastic cover under the knee bolster by removing three 7mm screws. You will also have to unscrew the under dash courtesy light. I had to lie down on the floor to get to the SIR connector. It would be easier to get to if you remove the knee bolster, but that would require removing the dash, which I didn't want to do.

Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel - Page 3 389913487
Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel - Page 3 389913489
Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel - Page 3 389913493

3. Using a 3-4mm (1/8”-5/32”) Allen wrench, release the 2 spring fasteners by pushing inward through
the access holes. The access holes are located on both sides of the rear plastic steering wheel
shroud. You could also use a ratchet and allen bit as I did.
Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel - Page 3 389913496
Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel - Page 3 389913497
4. Lift and partially remove the airbag module from the steering wheel in order to expose the electrical
connectors on the back side. Take care not to pull on any of the wiring.
5. Disconnect the electrical connectors from the airbag module. The airbag electrical connections have a green safety locking connector-position assurance (CPA) clip that
must be disconnected before you can remove the electrical connectors from the module. B, is the horn connection and C, is the ground for the horn, you pull both of these out. Once you have the horn connector out, you will see a spring. This spring can be stretched to increase the tension to provide better contact and for sensitive honking. I also lightly sanded the copper end on the horn connector, just to create a clean connection.
Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel - Page 3 389914743
6. Remove the airbag module from the steering wheel and place the module face up on the floor, seat
or work bench. If you carry the module make sure the trim cover is pointed AWAY from your body.
Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel - Page 3 389913500
Using a 13/16 socket, remove the nut that tightens the steering wheel to the column.
Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel - Page 3 389913501
Next, use a steering wheel puller tool, to remove the steering wheel. Your gonna have to crank on it and eventually it’ll pop off.
Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel - Page 3 389913503
This is what you’ll see when you’re all done.
Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel - Page 3 389913505
Here is what my steering wheel looked like….
Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel - Page 3 389913506
This is the steering wheel I got from the wreckers before and after.
Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel - Page 3 389913468
Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel - Page 3 389913470
Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel - Page 3 389913473
Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel - Page 3 389913458
Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel - Page 3 389913455
Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel - Page 3 389913452
I realized when I got home from the wreckers that it doesn’t have the stitching that the Riv’s steering wheel has. Still, it looks 100% better than my original wheel. One day I plan to put the Rivs' wheel there but not anytime soon. Hope this helps someone and remember to take all precautions seriously when doing this repair.

Last edited by BMD on Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:56 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Cmurphy
Cmurphy

Name : Charlie Murphy
Merit : 1

PostSubject: After Market Steering wheel?   Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel - Page 3 EmptySun Jan 30, 2011 6:42 pm

Has anyone installed a aftermarket steering wheel?

Mine looks terrible and i really don't want the air bag cause i'm really tall the only thing i'd miss is the radio controls but they are all worn off and just look bad too.
Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

Name : Codith
Merit : 140

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel   Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel - Page 3 EmptySun Jan 30, 2011 6:47 pm

I installed now two Grant wheels. With the adapter, they fit great. If you want to get a product by Grant, I'd recommend the signature series. the horn button design kinda sucks on the Challenger series.
The airbag light will come on once you remove the OEM steering wheel. I'm not for sure but I'd guess it the system probably disables the passenger side air bag as a result of that "malfunction" state.
Back to top Go down
Cmurphy
Cmurphy

Name : Charlie Murphy
Merit : 1

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel   Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel - Page 3 EmptySun Jan 30, 2011 7:27 pm

turtleman wrote:
I installed now two Grant wheels. With the adapter, they fit great. If you want to get a product by Grant, I'd recommend the signature series. the horn button design kinda sucks on the Challenger series.
The airbag light will come on once you remove the OEM steering wheel. I'm not for sure but I'd guess it the system probably disables the passenger side air bag as a result of that "malfunction" state.

Do you know which adapter you used?
I have a Grant challenger series sitting in my garage and a elite sitting in my other car that i might swap out to put in the riviera.
Back to top Go down
sburch23
Addict
sburch23

Name : Scott
Merit : 14

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel   Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel - Page 3 EmptyMon Jan 31, 2011 7:12 pm

Could the new Regal GS wheel be installed?
Back to top Go down
BlownRiv

Name : Name
Merit : 4

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel   Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel - Page 3 EmptyTue Feb 01, 2011 6:41 am

sburch23 wrote:
Could the new Regal GS wheel be installed?

Doubtful. In fact you will be hard pressed to find any GM wheel from the early 2000's on that will slip on your column. Have a look at the 'teeth' on the inside of the newer steering wheels compared to an older one. What will fit is older buick wheels. Or most other GM wheels for that matter.
Back to top Go down
chitown_riv98
Fanatic

Name : Ruben

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel   Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel - Page 3 EmptyWed Feb 12, 2014 2:32 am

Is there anyway to shut the Airbag warning light off with an aftermarket steering wheel? Im thinking there has to be a way to ground something out so the light goes out.
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel   Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel - Page 3 EmptyWed Feb 12, 2014 3:19 am

chitown_riv98 wrote:
Is there anyway to shut the Airbag warning light off with an aftermarket steering wheel? Im thinking there has to be a way to ground something out so the light goes out.

Pull the dash and then the cluster and remove the bulb.Works every time.
Back to top Go down
chitown_riv98
Fanatic

Name : Ruben

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel   Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel - Page 3 EmptyWed Feb 12, 2014 4:15 am

smile 
Back to top Go down
Yardley
Enthusiast

Merit : 2

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel   Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel - Page 3 EmptySat Jun 07, 2014 9:01 pm

Hi all. My horn goes off at will and won't turn off until I smack the horn in the center of the airbag. So I guess I will be replacing the airbag.

I have a question about the procedure. As I understand it, part of the procedure to actually release the airbag module from the wheel is:

Using a 3-4mm (1/8”-5/32”) Allen wrench, release the 2 spring fasteners by pushing inward through
the access holes. The access holes are located on both sides of the rear plastic steering wheel
shroud.

In the photos above they look like TORX head threaded screws.

So, just HOW do I "release the 2 spring fasteners"? Just pushing in on them? Or do they unscrew?

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
http://www.1badriv.com
BMD
Aficionado
BMD

Name : BMD
Merit : 36

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel   Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel - Page 3 EmptySat Jun 07, 2014 11:15 pm

Sorry Yardley, been out all day and just saw your post. Earlier on in this thread I talk about how I used a dismantling process described online with some modifications of my own. You are correct, they were just TORX head screws that just unscrew. The term "spring fasteners" was text that already existed in the instructions I followed. Hope that helps.
Back to top Go down
Yardley
Enthusiast

Merit : 2

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel   Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel - Page 3 EmptySun Jun 08, 2014 8:20 am

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
http://www.1badriv.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel   Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Write-Up: Disabling and Removing the Airbag Module & Steering Wheel
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next