Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Driver's side weather stripping

Go down 
+2
99Rivman
moldymac
6 posters
AuthorMessage
moldymac
Fanatic

Name : David
Merit : 19

Driver's side weather stripping Empty
PostSubject: Driver's side weather stripping   Driver's side weather stripping EmptyWed Apr 28, 2010 2:09 pm

Does anyone know a source for replacement door weather stripping? Mine is starting to leak at the rear of my door, and now on the highway I can hear wind coming in through there. Looks like its worse at the window. Better yet, is there any way to adjust how far the door gets pulled in when its closed to close the gap?
Back to top Go down
99Rivman
Aficionado
99Rivman

Name : Randall
Merit : 89

PostSubject: Re: Driver's side weather stripping   Driver's side weather stripping EmptyWed Apr 28, 2010 4:14 pm

I don’t know about availability but the part number is: 25640307
Someone posted a video about wind noise on here somewhere and the service manual does give instructions about adjusting the window to get rid of wind noise.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/id/99Rivman
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 251

PostSubject: Re: Driver's side weather stripping   Driver's side weather stripping EmptyWed Apr 28, 2010 4:26 pm

Adjusting the door gap is very easy. There's a couple of torx bolts on the frame member where the door latches. Loosen these bolts and slide the U-shaped latch in. The door will shut tighter, and door alignment will be truer after the adjustment.

In my case, after getting T-boned in the driver door a couple years ago, there was nothing I could do to get the door to seal correctly. The door is aligned correctly on the outside, but the window didn't seal. I admit this is a ghetto solution, but I took a 1/2" wide piece of black foam rubber weather stripping (buy at Lowe's or Home Depot) and stuck it to the existing rubber seal all along the window contact area. Over time, the window will press against the foam and shape it to form a good seal. After 2 years, it has not separated, and it you don't notice it unless you look really hard. If you do this, the only thing you need to watch out for is ice in the winter - the seal gets hard and it likes to stick to the window, so need to be careful.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
moldymac
Fanatic

PostSubject: Re: Driver's side weather stripping   Driver's side weather stripping EmptyWed Apr 28, 2010 4:39 pm

AA wrote:
Adjusting the door gap is very easy. There's a couple of torx bolts on the frame member where the door latches. Loosen these bolts and slide the U-shaped latch in. The door will shut tighter, and door alignment will be truer after the adjustment.

In my case, after getting T-boned in the driver door a couple years ago, there was nothing I could do to get the door to seal correctly. The door is aligned correctly on the outside, but the window didn't seal. I admit this is a ghetto solution, but I took a 1/2" wide piece of black foam rubber weather stripping (buy at Lowe's or Home Depot) and stuck it to the existing rubber seal all along the window contact area. Over time, the window will press against the foam and shape it to form a good seal. After 2 years, it has not separated, and it you don't notice it unless you look really hard. If you do this, the only thing you need to watch out for is ice in the winter - the seal gets hard and it likes to stick to the window, so need to be careful.

Awesome advice, I;ll try adjusting it and hoping that takes care of it. I thought about adding weather stripping there myself as well, so it might not be that ghetto. And as far as ice, mine is a PITA to open as it is when it freezes, I dont see it getting any worse.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 251

PostSubject: Re: Driver's side weather stripping   Driver's side weather stripping EmptyWed Apr 28, 2010 4:42 pm

Use a silicone spray and wipe down the seals before each winter, it helps a lot. Great for moon roof and trunk seals, too!

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: Driver's side weather stripping   Driver's side weather stripping EmptyWed Apr 28, 2010 6:07 pm

The other thing to use is Di-electric paste. It swells the rubber. Put it on sparingly so you don't accidentally get any on your Sunday Best.
Also, the seals are still available new from monsterpartsonline.com, just not free. I think they were close to $100.00 each. Ouch!!!!!
I'm thinking of buying 2 new ones this year as I inevitably have bad cold air leaks from both doors in the winter and I have softened and swelled them with Di-electric grease for the past couple of years in the fall and can't stop the cold air from coming in around all my arm rest switches, the door handles, etc. Both Driver and Passenger sides.
Have removed the door panels and all the plastic is in place and can't figure this out other than replacing the seals or weatherstrip, whichever is the correct name..
Doors have been adjusted to the point where they are hard to latch as well.
Any other ideas are welcome.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Driver's side weather stripping   Driver's side weather stripping EmptyWed Apr 28, 2010 6:48 pm

Rickw wrote:
The other thing to use is Di-electric paste. It swells the rubber. Put it on sparingly so you don't accidentally get any on your Sunday Best.
Also, the seals are still available new from monsterpartsonline.com, just not free. I think they were close to $100.00 each. Ouch!!!!!
I'm thinking of buying 2 new ones this year as I inevitably have bad cold air leaks from both doors in the winter and I have softened and swelled them with Di-electric grease for the past couple of years in the fall and can't stop the cold air from coming in around all my arm rest switches, the door handles, etc. Both Driver and Passenger sides.
Have removed the door panels and all the plastic is in place and can't figure this out other than replacing the seals or weatherstrip, whichever is the correct name..
Doors have been adjusted to the point where they are hard to latch as well.
Any other ideas are welcome.

No, it's about time to replace the seals, really. My passenger side seal is sound but lets a spritz of water in at the car wash from time to time. And if you oen the window at speed then try to close it the air pressure differential makes it whistle, you ahve to crack open the sunroof to equalize pressure then it will quiet.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: Driver's side weather stripping   Driver's side weather stripping EmptyWed Apr 28, 2010 6:54 pm

I haven't experienced those issues yet with this car but I had those exact same issues with my last Eldorado.

Have you experienced the cold winter air coming in through the switches and door handle at all with the Riv.?
Back to top Go down
moldymac
Fanatic

PostSubject: Re: Driver's side weather stripping   Driver's side weather stripping EmptyWed Apr 28, 2010 7:37 pm

I adjusted what I could on the door. The latch in the jam only moved a hair inward. The latch in the door moved back a little more than the one in the jam. I'll have to see how she does, I don't think it moved enough to make a difference, door still closes easy with almost no effort at all, And I didn't have any cold air coming though the switches on my riv that I recall.
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Name : Mark
Merit : 104

PostSubject: Re: Driver's side weather stripping   Driver's side weather stripping EmptyWed Apr 28, 2010 8:31 pm

Don't know if it's still available from GM, but I bought a complete weatherstripping a couple years ago because I figured that dragging my feet across the bottom part would eventually 'break' it...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Driver's side weather stripping   Driver's side weather stripping Empty

Back to top Go down

Driver's side weather stripping
Page 1 of 1