Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

tranny problems

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
3.8fury
Special

Name : James
Merit : 0

tranny problems Empty
PostSubject: tranny problems   tranny problems EmptySat May 08, 2010 6:49 pm

well I've got a 93 riviera 83000 miles on the clock and the tranny only has 1st gear and reverse, when u leave the selector in drive the rpms won't drop until you let of the gas and the car goes to neutral, but it will go in first... Can i put a tranny from a 90 riviera in the 93... Will it fit, bolt up correctly, or are they different. I thought the 88-91 vin C 3800 all had the THM440 tranny and the 92-95 had the 4T60E. i think the supercharged applications had the 4T65E-HD. Is this correct, could someone correct me if i am wrong. any help will be appreciated... thanks
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

tranny problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: tranny problems   tranny problems EmptySat May 08, 2010 9:37 pm

The 440-T4 was re-named to the 4T60 in 1990. However, the transmission in the '90 is different from the '93 (according to GM part numbers).

I would first check and see if the transmission filter isn't plugged before you decide to change transmissions. A filter/fluid change could solve your problem. Most cars still have Reverse and sometimes 1st gear when the filter gets clogged.....

Are there any codes present? We could possibly diagnose the problem if there are codes....
Back to top Go down
3.8fury
Special

Name : James
Merit : 0

tranny problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: tranny problems   tranny problems EmptyMon May 10, 2010 7:09 am

The CEL is not on but i don't have a scanner for OBD1 cars, checked the fluid, it's a little overfull and it is real dirty looking, i guess the first thing to do would be a fluid and filter change and see what happens... I read somewhere also that the 93 has a common issue with bad grounds to the tranny solenoids and that would cause a loss of gears 2, 3, and 4... Any ideas?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

tranny problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: tranny problems   tranny problems Empty

Back to top Go down

tranny problems
Page 1 of 1