Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Lubing window channels?

Go down 
+2
BMD
DEMonte1997
6 posters
AuthorMessage
DEMonte1997
Aficionado
DEMonte1997

Name : Rick
Merit : 37

Lubing window channels? Empty
PostSubject: Lubing window channels?   Lubing window channels? EmptyTue May 11, 2010 6:04 pm

I've read on other car sites about guys using some sort of lube to allow the windows to move more easily up and down the channels. Anyone done this with their Riv? I was thinking about attempting it sometime this week. Just curious what people used and where they sprayed the lube. smile
Back to top Go down
BMD
Aficionado
BMD

Name : BMD
Merit : 36

PostSubject: Re: Lubing window channels?   Lubing window channels? EmptyTue May 11, 2010 6:09 pm

I used ordinary motor oil in an oil can and squirted oil along both tracks and all over the gear that raises and drops the window. My window goes up and down super quiet and quicker ( if thats possible).
Back to top Go down
VJD2
Fanatic
VJD2

Name : Vinny
Merit : 5

PostSubject: Re: Lubing window channels?   Lubing window channels? EmptyWed May 12, 2010 12:03 pm

Maybe white lithium grease??
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Name : Mark
Merit : 104

PostSubject: Re: Lubing window channels?   Lubing window channels? EmptyWed May 12, 2010 6:17 pm

VJD2 wrote:

That's what I used when I was in there... Another choice for something designed to spray and then 'congeal' to stay in place is the GM SuperLube
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Lubing window channels?   Lubing window channels? EmptyWed May 12, 2010 7:53 pm

Eldo wrote:
VJD2 wrote:

That's what I used when I was in there... Another choice for something designed to spray and then 'congeal' to stay in place is the GM SuperLube

GM SuperLube is The Stuff for this type of thing.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: Lubing window channels?   Lubing window channels? EmptyFri May 14, 2010 12:01 am

What kind of lube is this GM Super Lube.
Anyone know the make up of it.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Lubing window channels?   Lubing window channels? EmptyFri May 14, 2010 8:09 am

IIRC it's kind of like a petroleum/silicone grease in a light solvent carrier. Spray it and the solvent evaporates leaving the grease.

I don't have a can at the moment but that was my impression based on the smell (which I admit can be misleading) and the label (typical petroleum distillates warning).

Albertj
Back to top Go down
VJD2
Fanatic
VJD2

Name : Vinny
Merit : 5

PostSubject: Re: Lubing window channels?   Lubing window channels? EmptyFri May 14, 2010 12:13 pm

Hmm, I'll have to look into that stuff. I'll be taking the door panels off soon anyhow so why not refresh the channels?
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Lubing window channels?   Lubing window channels? EmptyFri May 14, 2010 5:11 pm

Just get it from the dealer, it's cheaper mailorder but the shipping chop is silly high. I forget how much, though.

YOu got me thinking about how I learned about the stuff. I had a Subaru and had been buying parts from a dealer in northern NY whose son was trying to build an internet parts business (one of the manufacturers they represent "kneecapped" them and they pretty much folded the site, although you can still phone them for parts). He sent me a can fairly cheap to tey, we had been talking about maintenance and he said it was great; WD40 was great water displacer but actually not as good a lube compared to this.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lubing window channels?   Lubing window channels? Empty

Back to top Go down

Lubing window channels?
Page 1 of 1