Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Write-Up: Custom Chrome Grill

Go down 
+59
RivieraParadise
rivparadise
Jayrydingslab
stan
BMD
Jamax
95rivy
nebstewart07
robotennis61
BigRay1125
ghpcnm
ibmoses
vovchik
woggy
esquire23
ewolfe0050
millerje18
Rickw
deekster_caddy
ghost88
#1BearsFan
97rivsc
vendetta
sburch23
1wickedninja
SuperRiv07
Chicken
Will08
albertj
99 Riviera 99
KillaKeninaRiv
T Riley
IBx1
Shintsu
Sag
palermocorey90
SC95Riv
98riv
Buapo
99Rivman
jax95riv
Jack the R
HirohataMerc
Ridin-Rivi
2toneRivi
Andysdorm
racinfan
Mr.Riviera
AA
oldsman105
SoCal Riv
clazzicradiorepair
1998 Riv
turtleman
¤DoughBoy¤
Blowin95
xxsupergman25xx
jimmyriv
SpaceBar
63 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
AuthorMessage
Ridin-Rivi
Enthusiast
Ridin-Rivi

Name : Darrin
Merit : 0

Write-Up: Custom Chrome Grill - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Custom Chrome Grill   Write-Up: Custom Chrome Grill - Page 4 EmptyFri May 25, 2007 10:30 pm

Heres another custom grill "thanks spacebar"

Write-Up: Custom Chrome Grill - Page 4 Rivigrillet7.th
Back to top Go down
SpaceBar
Aficionado
SpaceBar

Name : Patrick
Merit : 3

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Custom Chrome Grill   Write-Up: Custom Chrome Grill - Page 4 EmptyFri May 25, 2007 10:51 pm

No problem. wink Looks good! What other mods do you have done?

Someone was wondering what it would look like with the white car. I think it looks pretty good on the white too.

Maybe its just cause I like chrome? scratch

Nice to see more people trying this out.
Back to top Go down
http://community.webshots.com/user/xspacebarx
Ridin-Rivi
Enthusiast
Ridin-Rivi

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Custom Chrome Grill   Write-Up: Custom Chrome Grill - Page 4 EmptySat May 26, 2007 1:10 am

I havent done very many mods yet. Only the port holes, rims, and the new and improved grill. I forgot to mention the wood-grain steering wheel cover. ha
Back to top Go down
SpaceBar
Aficionado
SpaceBar

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Custom Chrome Grill   Write-Up: Custom Chrome Grill - Page 4 EmptySat May 26, 2007 8:29 am

Ridin-Rivi wrote:
I havent done very many mods yet. Only the port holes, rims, and the new and improved grill. I forgot to mention the wood-grain steering wheel cover. ha

The mod bug will hit you soon. wink
Back to top Go down
Ridin-Rivi
Enthusiast
Ridin-Rivi

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Custom Chrome Grill   Write-Up: Custom Chrome Grill - Page 4 EmptySat May 26, 2007 11:43 am

Im sure it will. I have been reading alot and I think I will do the intake, pulley and t-stat next
Back to top Go down
Andysdorm
Aficionado
Andysdorm

Name : Andrew
Merit : 6

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Custom Chrome Grill   Write-Up: Custom Chrome Grill - Page 4 EmptySat May 26, 2007 11:48 am

Ridin-Rivi wrote:

that's where I'm at right now. I'm going to pickup the chrome strips today. Saturdays I get to ride the Riv. It's resting at grandma's house for the season. I hope to have it in next weeks local auto show if it's not brand specific this week. I'm just weary of the chips around the sloppy gas cover, I hope the fact that it's the only Riv will be enough.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/671386
SpaceBar
Aficionado
SpaceBar

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Custom Chrome Grill   Write-Up: Custom Chrome Grill - Page 4 EmptySat May 26, 2007 11:49 pm

Ridin-Rivi wrote:
Im sure it will. I have been reading alot and I think I will do the intake, pulley and t-stat next

Make sure you get a scanner when you get into doing the pulleys too. And read everything you can before doing anything.

Andysdorm wrote:
Ridin-Rivi wrote:

that's where I'm at right now. I'm going to pickup the chrome strips today. Saturdays I get to ride the Riv. It's resting at grandma's house for the season. I hope to have it in next weeks local auto show if it's not brand specific this week. I'm just weary of the chips around the sloppy gas cover, I hope the fact that it's the only Riv will be enough.

Goodluck with the install! Hopefully you get it done before the show and win it. wink
Back to top Go down
Andysdorm
Aficionado
Andysdorm

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Custom Chrome Grill   Write-Up: Custom Chrome Grill - Page 4 EmptyThu May 31, 2007 3:14 pm

I purchased a pair of craft clippers and was ready to install the strips.

I get all my stuff outside, open the package of chrome stripping and was stumped. I expected a different type of stripping, I was hoping it was like a clip that you could cut to size and then push onto the grill blade covering the visible surface. Well these strips are one-sided and have 3m adhesive on the other side, no biggie. I read all six pages and it was already expalined there dunce

So I'm guessing to get the full effect you need to strip on side of the blade and then the other. Was one package enough?. Before I did anything, I cleaned her up and took a before pic. Well looking at the LCD display of the camera I desided not to do it today but to wait and see more examples.

I'm waiting for someone with the light blue metallic to do it so I can see how it looks with a lighter color. The white looks good.

Look for my alternate chrome stripping project in Interiors section
Back to top Go down
Ridin-Rivi
Enthusiast
Ridin-Rivi

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Custom Chrome Grill   Write-Up: Custom Chrome Grill - Page 4 EmptyFri Jun 01, 2007 1:49 pm

To make it easier. I opened my hood and stuck the chrome piece up to the back of the grill to get my measurement. From there I cut it and used a needle nose pliers to position the chrome trim. One package was enough and I had lots of extra trim left over.
Back to top Go down
SpaceBar
Aficionado
SpaceBar

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Custom Chrome Grill   Write-Up: Custom Chrome Grill - Page 4 EmptyFri Jun 01, 2007 9:29 pm

Andysdorm wrote:
I purchased a pair of craft clippers and was ready to install the strips.

I get all my stuff outside, open the package of chrome stripping and was stumped. I expected a different type of stripping, I was hoping it was like a clip that you could cut to size and then push onto the grill blade covering the visible surface. Well these strips are one-sided and have 3m adhesive on the other side, no biggie. I read all six pages and it was already expalined there dunce

So I'm guessing to get the full effect you need to strip on side of the blade and then the other. Was one package enough?. Before I did anything, I cleaned her up and took a before pic. Well looking at the LCD display of the camera I desided not to do it today but to wait and see more examples.

I'm waiting for someone with the light blue metallic to do it so I can see how it looks with a lighter color. The white looks good.

Look for my alternate chrome stripping project in Interiors section

You only need to do one side of the grill Andy. One package is DEFINATELY enough. I had tons left over.

I did it with my hood closed. I just pushed the chrome stripping up against the grill and bent where it needed to be cut then cut it and stuck it on.

Any questions let me know I'll try and help
Back to top Go down
SpaceBar
Aficionado
SpaceBar

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Custom Chrome Grill   Write-Up: Custom Chrome Grill - Page 4 EmptyFri Jun 01, 2007 9:39 pm

I just want to follow up on this too for anyone who was skeptical of doing this mod in fear of it coming off.

I've had it on for almost 2 months now and have been through many car washes. Been at 90+mph speeds with it through plenty of rain and everything.

Today I decided to see if all the strips were holding up good and gave a good little tug on most of them and they are all good as they were the first day I put them on. I haven't had one of them come off or move yet.
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Custom Chrome Grill   Write-Up: Custom Chrome Grill - Page 4 EmptyFri Jun 01, 2007 9:42 pm

so if you ever wanted to pull them off would they come off clean, or would you be buying a new grill?

Back to top Go down
SpaceBar
Aficionado
SpaceBar

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Custom Chrome Grill   Write-Up: Custom Chrome Grill - Page 4 EmptyFri Jun 01, 2007 9:44 pm

Mr.Riviera wrote:
so if you ever wanted to pull them off would they come off clean, or would you be buying a new grill?

No they would come off clean. When I first did it I put a couple on and they weren't very straight. wink It was a couple hours later when I pulled them off and there was no damage to the grill. Then I slapped new pieces on there straight.
Back to top Go down
HirohataMerc
Amateur

Name : Eric
Merit : 1

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Custom Chrome Grill   Write-Up: Custom Chrome Grill - Page 4 EmptyTue Jun 05, 2007 10:16 pm

I wanted to make one for mine out of drawer pulls and never got to it. It would have been easy and looked different
Back to top Go down
http://www.jalopyjournal.com
SpaceBar
Aficionado
SpaceBar

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Custom Chrome Grill   Write-Up: Custom Chrome Grill - Page 4 EmptyWed Jun 06, 2007 8:05 pm

HirohataMerc wrote:
I wanted to make one for mine out of drawer pulls and never got to it. It would have been easy and looked different

Out of drawer pulls? Like this?

Write-Up: Custom Chrome Grill - Page 4 8000-3-SS-SIDE
Back to top Go down
HirohataMerc
Amateur

Name : Eric
Merit : 1

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Custom Chrome Grill   Write-Up: Custom Chrome Grill - Page 4 EmptyWed Jun 06, 2007 9:43 pm

Write-Up: Custom Chrome Grill - Page 4 Attachment
Back to top Go down
http://www.jalopyjournal.com
SpaceBar
Aficionado
SpaceBar

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Custom Chrome Grill   Write-Up: Custom Chrome Grill - Page 4 EmptyWed Jun 06, 2007 9:46 pm

I don't know how well that would look on a Riv. But everyone has their own taste.

Maybe if you tackle it and post some pics you can change my mind. wink
Back to top Go down
xxsupergman25xx
Aficionado
xxsupergman25xx

Name : Scotty
Merit : 13

PostSubject: I have a 20 ft of Chrome stripping. (posted Pics)   Write-Up: Custom Chrome Grill - Page 4 EmptySun Jun 17, 2007 3:16 pm

ok so i went to pep boys..and snagged the 1/8th chrome stripping..14.99...for 20 ft.......................i ended up knowin a guy there and he gave me it for 11.99...so goes to show u pep boys=rip off..lol...but anyways....im gonna do the grill...and i wanna know if any1 else has sum suggestions of where to put it..im not tryin to make it look trashy though...well get back to me!

Scotty

Last edited by on Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/xxsupergman25xx/
Andysdorm
Aficionado
Andysdorm

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Custom Chrome Grill   Write-Up: Custom Chrome Grill - Page 4 EmptySun Jun 17, 2007 3:41 pm

check out the door sills I did in the Interiors section.

I also wanted to do chrome rings around the guages but didn't do it. Want to but didn't have enough, you could be the first.
Back to top Go down
xxsupergman25xx
Aficionado
xxsupergman25xx

Name : Scotty
Merit : 13

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Custom Chrome Grill   Write-Up: Custom Chrome Grill - Page 4 EmptySun Jun 17, 2007 6:36 pm

yeah that was def a thought to do around the guages..my issue was..there would be a little line where theyd connect and it might look ugly..or cheesy..but ill give it a look..
Back to top Go down
http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/xxsupergman25xx/
¤DoughBoy¤
Enthusiast
¤DoughBoy¤

Name : D.J.

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Custom Chrome Grill   Write-Up: Custom Chrome Grill - Page 4 EmptyTue Jun 19, 2007 1:42 am

hmmmmm....
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

Merit : 105

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Custom Chrome Grill   Write-Up: Custom Chrome Grill - Page 4 EmptyTue Jun 19, 2007 2:40 am

xxsupergman25xx wrote:
if any1 else has sum suggestions of where to put it.

On the back shelf of the garage where you'll never find it again?

Sorry, guess I'm "hatin'" rolleyes But seriously nothing says "ghetto" like extra chrome applications, especially around the doors. You might get away with it on the teeth of the grill, but I wouldn't do it.
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

PostSubject: got the chrome bug (pics)   Write-Up: Custom Chrome Grill - Page 4 EmptyTue Jun 19, 2007 9:57 pm

i finally got around to chroming out my grill and doing the door sills like Andy(if it wasnt andysdorm then i'm sorry). i used 1/8" on the grill and 1/4" on the sills. i think it looks really good and it didnt cost much at all! thanks for the idea everyone!
yes i know the paint is bubbling on the hood, but its been like that for 5yrs now :/

Write-Up: Custom Chrome Grill - Page 4 Rivier11

Write-Up: Custom Chrome Grill - Page 4 Rivier10

Write-Up: Custom Chrome Grill - Page 4 Dscn0510

Write-Up: Custom Chrome Grill - Page 4 Dscn0511

Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Custom Chrome Grill   Write-Up: Custom Chrome Grill - Page 4 EmptyTue Jun 19, 2007 10:19 pm

Wow, looks really nice, Matthew. Good example of chrome stripping being applied tastefully! Now... get rid of the rest of that roll before you start wondering what other parts of the car you can decorate. A rule to follow: do not let chrome strips come in contact with painted surfaces!

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
SpaceBar
Aficionado
SpaceBar

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Custom Chrome Grill   Write-Up: Custom Chrome Grill - Page 4 EmptyTue Jun 19, 2007 10:28 pm

Looks great on the white Matthew! I think it makes the front end look much better.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Custom Chrome Grill   Write-Up: Custom Chrome Grill - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Write-Up: Custom Chrome Grill
Page 4 of 13Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next