Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Radiator / Coolant Leaks

Go down 
+39
charlieRobinson
98riv
sniperdude
pbrktrt
Z-type
llamalor2112
95rivy
Ridin-Rivi
flyineagle96
Eldo
robotennis61
Abaddon
black shadow
BMD
jonly
BrianEsser
jeffyd123
98inSFl
96riv
#1BearsFan
lionfish
deekster_caddy
xxsupergman25xx
6spd
Rickw
albertj
vendetta
BillBoost37
96RIVMANN
1wickedninja
Chicken
1996RIV CALI
Mr.Riviera
AA
RhinoFLA
dreww
mcgusto82
43 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
llamalor2112
Junkie
llamalor2112

Name : Evan
Merit : 13

Radiator / Coolant Leaks - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Radiator / Coolant Leaks   Radiator / Coolant Leaks - Page 7 EmptyWed Oct 17, 2012 9:49 pm

I scraped and cleaned both surfaces pretty diligently so hopefully it'll be well-enough. Ran out of coolant while refilling so I'll be gettin more tomorrow and then I'll run it to see how well its sealed
Back to top Go down
sniperdude
Fanatic
sniperdude

Name : Mike
Merit : 18

PostSubject: Re: Radiator / Coolant Leaks   Radiator / Coolant Leaks - Page 7 EmptyThu Oct 18, 2012 12:28 pm

Good on you for flushing after seeing the mixed Dex with standard AF. Those two mixed can cause sludge.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 251

PostSubject: Re: Radiator / Coolant Leaks   Radiator / Coolant Leaks - Page 7 EmptyThu Oct 18, 2012 2:11 pm

Mike, there is some evidence that mixing will not actually cause sludging. It's an urban myth. Here's a link with related discussion: https://rivperformance.editboard.com/t1364p75-faq-dexcool-coolant-antifreeze-types

(fyi, I didn't mark your post neg., just letting you know why someone else did)

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
sniperdude
Fanatic
sniperdude

Name : Mike
Merit : 18

PostSubject: Re: Radiator / Coolant Leaks   Radiator / Coolant Leaks - Page 7 EmptyThu Oct 18, 2012 2:47 pm

Well I had it going on in my Northstar Deville and there was lots of info about it there.

Either way, flushing the coolant system is always a good idea.
Back to top Go down
llamalor2112
Junkie
llamalor2112

PostSubject: Re: Radiator / Coolant Leaks   Radiator / Coolant Leaks - Page 7 EmptyThu Oct 18, 2012 2:52 pm

Indeed, if its preventative maintenance, its always a good plan! Might as well not take chances even if its just to keep the coolant color nice n Orange instead of mixing with the green n turning brown tongue
Back to top Go down
llamalor2112
Junkie
llamalor2112

PostSubject: Re: Radiator / Coolant Leaks   Radiator / Coolant Leaks - Page 7 EmptyThu Nov 01, 2012 3:37 am

Well....I'm beginning to suspect I need to hammer out a gasket... Things have been swell until tonight when I smelled that rich coolant scent and just like that, that little pool is beginning to reappear. I'd have included one the first time if the "correct" ones would have fit....sigh
Back to top Go down
Z-type
Aficionado
Z-type

Name : Andrew Zamiska
Merit : 63

PostSubject: Re: Radiator / Coolant Leaks   Radiator / Coolant Leaks - Page 7 EmptyThu Nov 01, 2012 10:54 pm

Awwwww man. Do you think it's still the same problem?
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Radiator / Coolant Leaks   Radiator / Coolant Leaks - Page 7 EmptyThu Nov 01, 2012 11:45 pm

Z-type wrote:
Awwwww man. Do you think it's still the same problem?

Might or migh tnot be same problem. Best way to determine is to wash engine then add fluorescent dye to the coolant and top it off. You'll be able to then see where it's coming from with a black light.

It might be the thermo housing warped from a prior overheating (hence the green coolant it was probably what was on hand) and needs to be replaced (they are available and not real pricey at the dealer).

Making a gasket is a 5 min job with the thermo housing and an x-acto type (stencil cutter) knife. Gasket material is a few bucks a sheet at an auto parts store, the "neoprene impregnated" black sheet will do fine. Put thermo housing on gasket sheet, on flat surface and trace (including bolt holes) with a pencil. Cut the penciled lines thru with the stencil knife. Test fit and trim excesses (you probably will have to retrim the inside hole), then install.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
98riv

Merit : 30

PostSubject: Re: Radiator / Coolant Leaks   Radiator / Coolant Leaks - Page 7 EmptyFri Nov 02, 2012 10:59 am

This doesn't help your coolant issue, but your filter for the BBV needs to be replaced. You can buy it from Rockauto or just use some foam and create your own.

Junkie
llamalor2112

PostSubject: Re: Radiator / Coolant Leaks   Radiator / Coolant Leaks - Page 7 EmptySun Nov 04, 2012 5:12 am

Well I hammered out a gasket from the gasket material sheet and shellacked it up real nice. Seems like there's absolutely no leak after a long day of putting the car through its paces and obsessive checking. As far as I can tell it may have had a thermo swap prior to me buying it and didn't get the gasket replaced and perhaps that's why I suffered the leak just 3 months into owning it. Either way, hope its all said and done now.

As per the bbv filter, that's the boost bypass valve filter yes? The little fuzzy mess here? Haha
Radiator / Coolant Leaks - Page 7 PicsArt_1352023311544

I'm just getting into mechanical maintenance, is there a writeup on here for hopeless newbs like me? dunce
Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

Name : Charlie
Merit : 31

PostSubject: Re: Radiator / Coolant Leaks   Radiator / Coolant Leaks - Page 7 EmptyMon Nov 05, 2012 2:09 pm

I had a leak last week. I tightened the clamp on the fat radiator tube above the manifold on the drivers side and it has been fine since. I noticed the dry hot metal smell on the way to work and then I checked my coolant res. and it was near empty.

how hard is it to replace the bottom fat tube that goes from the radiator back into the bay? Not the top one by the manifold on the drivers side but the bottom one on the passenger side? Mine looks awfully dry with cracks and i really want to get it replaced before winter.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Radiator / Coolant Leaks   Radiator / Coolant Leaks - Page 7 EmptyMon Nov 05, 2012 2:52 pm

You mean the lower radiator hose? It's not a bad job. You will have to drain all the coolant. The clamp on the lower radiator can be a biotch but overall it's no harder than any other car...
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: Radiator / Coolant Leaks   Radiator / Coolant Leaks - Page 7 EmptyMon Nov 05, 2012 3:40 pm

its easier to do from under the car.jmo. if you can,replace the funked up OEM spring shut clamp with a band clamp. makes future repairs much simpler.
Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

PostSubject: Re: Radiator / Coolant Leaks   Radiator / Coolant Leaks - Page 7 EmptyMon Nov 05, 2012 6:02 pm

Roger that. I will check it out this weekend. I can I find radiator hose at the auto reilly's? Thank you.
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

Name : Larry
Merit : 149

PostSubject: Re: Radiator / Coolant Leaks   Radiator / Coolant Leaks - Page 7 EmptyMon Nov 05, 2012 7:20 pm

Charlie,
Goodyear 62152, Dayco 71852, Gates 22154, AC Delco 24326L Take your pick. Prices on RockAuto range from 5.59 to 11.27

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHCda-t_Jls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfT2tEO4XcU
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Radiator / Coolant Leaks   Radiator / Coolant Leaks - Page 7 EmptyMon Nov 05, 2012 8:03 pm

charlieRobinson wrote:
Roger that. I will check it out this weekend. I can I find radiator hose at the auto reilly's? Thank you.

yes or RockAuto.com. you will need to trim an inch or so off the new one to fit IIRC.
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: Radiator / Coolant Leaks   Radiator / Coolant Leaks - Page 7 EmptyMon Nov 05, 2012 8:25 pm

yup. the Gates hoses are really high quality! worth ordering them online. vatozone will get you out a pinch but Gates is the shit!

and while yer at it,might as well get the Gates serpantine belts and heater hoses too! i mean if you got the extra cash...
Back to top Go down
llamalor2112
Junkie
llamalor2112

PostSubject: Re: Radiator / Coolant Leaks   Radiator / Coolant Leaks - Page 7 EmptyWed Nov 14, 2012 2:26 am

Sorry to steal the thread back but....

Got home this evening and my coolant is almost completely gone. HOWEVER this time there's absolutely no pooling where it has been the two prior instances, instead it seems to be leaking out like crazy from underneath the thermostat housing puzzled puzzled puzzled

Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Radiator / Coolant Leaks   Radiator / Coolant Leaks - Page 7 EmptyWed Nov 14, 2012 8:49 am

llamalor2112 wrote:
Sorry to steal the thread back but....

Got home this evening and my coolant is almost completely gone. HOWEVER this time there's absolutely no pooling where it has been the two prior instances, instead it seems to be leaking out like crazy from underneath the thermostat housing puzzled puzzled puzzled

The only thing I can think of would be (bear with me on this) to wash the engine as best you can, all over, and as well the engine bay. Then add some fluorescent dye along with topping off the coolant to a 50-50 mix. Then take it for a drive. Or two. Or more. Eventually you ***will*** be able to see where the leak is coming from and splashing to. Watch out for the possibility that your leak gets worse all of a sudden and car starts to overheat. The dye etc. will not have caused that, whatever is the primary problem would be the cause. But with the dye in the system you'll see what's what.

Put it to you this way - if it was a head gasket leak into a cylinder for instance you'd see it on the temp gauge, you'd run hot and maybe have vaporlock problems. . If you installed the cheapest private label thermostat you could, it's time to go get a Gates, they don't cost that much more. It may be sticking or some other silliness. It's a good idea to get rid of the current thermostat if the car has run much hotter than normal for an extended length of time. If you have a cracked intake manifold or other housing, you'll find out for sure with the fluorescent dye. Even if the stuff sprays out hot and then evaporates the dye will leave tell-tale marks easily spotted with a UV light (black light). So yeah, at this point I'd clean things up, inspect with a black light to find any old dye stains if any , fill with coolant mixed with dye, drive a bit (one to five drive cycles to fully warm should do it), and then pull into a darkened garage and check with the black light. Don't have a black light?!?! Well - if you have an incandescent trouble light a really cheap way to get a black light is just to buy a "black light" fluorescent bulb - the screw in spiral kind - at a home center or a walmart. I got mine at Home Depot but I've seen them at Lowe's, the local Do-It-Best, and even the local grocery store from time to time (halloween for instance). They are promoted to "party people" so they may be on an endcap or some silliness instead of hanging with the other bulbs. Replace the bulb in your trouble light with the blacklight bulb. Wha-la. Anyway, after each drive when your car is in the garage, just flip open the hood, click on the trouble light and have a look.

My guess is that your cooling system was under-maintained when you got the car. And, even if you were to call my cooling system well-maintained, it failed when the radiator developed a crack that only opened under high pressure. It took me amost a year to find the stupid thing, that's how seldom it leaked and it had the nerve to leak in such a way that the coolant sprayed out onto the ground usually. So even with the UV light and stuff it was a while before I found it. The mechanic at the dealership and I agreed that this leak was one for the books. What eventually happened was apparently the crack got larger and changed the whizz from the leak to hit the transmission case instead of the ground and as well to start dribbling on the radiator end tank.

Once you have done the dye thing and found the leak(s), the fix may be obvious or it may simply be time to repost. With pictures of the blacklighted dye spots...

Happy leak-hunting

Albertj
Back to top Go down
MarkoRv
MarkoRv

Name : Marko
Merit : 0

PostSubject: coolant leaking   Radiator / Coolant Leaks - Page 7 EmptyTue Jul 22, 2014 5:24 pm

Does anyone know what could be the problem with my riv, when i turn off the car the coolant starts leaking and it leaks for about a minute, it is not leaking when the car is running or when it is turned off, only immediately after i turn it off after it has been driven? the leak appears to be coming from the grill front drivers side
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: Radiator / Coolant Leaks   Radiator / Coolant Leaks - Page 7 EmptyTue Jul 22, 2014 5:28 pm

Probably the Radiator, or it could be as simple as one of the hoses has corrosion between it and the connection. When you shut the car off, the Cooling System is pressurized more than when it isn't running. It might be just enough pressure to push the Coolant out of the fitting/hose connection.
Back to top Go down
MarkoRv
MarkoRv

PostSubject: Re: Radiator / Coolant Leaks   Radiator / Coolant Leaks - Page 7 EmptyTue Jul 22, 2014 5:33 pm

thank you for the fast answer I appreciate it! should i stop driving the car till i fix it? there also appears to be oil in the coolant tank even after i flushed it last week
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 251

PostSubject: Re: Radiator / Coolant Leaks   Radiator / Coolant Leaks - Page 7 EmptyTue Jul 22, 2014 8:09 pm

I would bet a few bucks that the plastic portion of the radiator near where it attaches to the upper hose is cracked, causing the seeping under pressure. These can leak for thousands of miles without much consequence - just make sure to keep an eye on the overflow level. Add coolant mix as needed.

You can check by looking right under the hose. Use a camera with flash (or smart phone) to snap a pic under there. You'll see a stain where the coolant has been. If you're lucky, it's a hose. If the radiator is cracked, get a replacement and a couple hoses ready, then watch it until it gets worse. I'd fix it before winter, though.

As for oil in the coolant, that's a whole other issue. Might be LIM gaskets (another thread).

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
MarkoRv
MarkoRv

PostSubject: Re: Radiator / Coolant Leaks   Radiator / Coolant Leaks - Page 7 EmptySat Jul 26, 2014 2:10 am

AA wrote:
I would bet a few bucks that the plastic portion of the radiator near where it attaches to the upper hose is cracked, causing the seeping under pressure. These can leak for thousands of miles without much consequence - just make sure to keep an eye on the overflow level. Add coolant mix as needed.

You can check by looking right under the hose. Use a camera with flash (or smart phone) to snap a pic under there. You'll see a stain where the coolant has been. If you're lucky, it's a hose. If the radiator is cracked, get a replacement and a couple hoses ready, then watch it until it gets worse. I'd fix it before winter, though.

As for oil in the coolant, that's a whole other issue. Might be LIM gaskets (another thread).

It wasn't oil in the coolant just dirt, and as for the leak you were spot on it was the plastic, replaced the radiator today, thanks again to all who replied to my questions
Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

PostSubject: Re: Radiator / Coolant Leaks   Radiator / Coolant Leaks - Page 7 EmptyTue Aug 19, 2014 10:59 pm

I noticed I have a coolant leak Sunday. Gosh darnit, I just cant win.

Its on the passenger side and dripping ever so slowly right on top of the sway bar.

Top of the bay looks dry. Couldnt find a thing. I dont have jacks or ramps to get under the car to check it out so im probably gonna have to take it somewhere.

glob blob it..
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Radiator / Coolant Leaks   Radiator / Coolant Leaks - Page 7 Empty

Back to top Go down

Radiator / Coolant Leaks
Page 7 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next