HomeDashboardFAQSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksMemberlistLog in
Share | 

pin hole in fuel line

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
duster_do_little

Name: Dustin
Merit: 4

PostSubject: pin hole in fuel line   Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:31 am

So today I noticed a strong fuel scent while driving, and when I tried to start the car it took forever. I opened the hood to find that fuel was shooting out of one of my fuel lines. I did a small splice as a temporary fix but was wondering about how much one of the fuel lines cost. It's one of the ones that come out of the fire wall metal, go up near the hood and bend toward the middle of the car and have a plastic line heat shrunk to it. then it bends around over the supercharger and hooks to another metal line that looks to go to the fuel rail.

About how much will a replacement cost and how hard is it going to be to replace it?

If I could just replace the plastic part it would be easy, but it looks like the metal and plastic will all come as one part.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator

Name: Aaron
Merit: 222

PostSubject: Re: pin hole in fuel line   Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:09 pm

This is one of those things... if I could not find a replacement line and swap it out within a day or two, I would just take it in to a mechanic or dealer to see what they will charge. Fuel leaks are scary stuff on our cars, because the line pressures are very high, so your patch will probably not last long. Due to risk of a fire, I would not drive the car, but if you have to, do not push it to WOT under any circumstances.

If you have the extra time and the money, you can also go with braided fuel lines. It's more involved, but should last forever:

http://rivperformance.editboard.com/series-ii-engine-transmission-f4/write-up-ss-braided-fuel-lines-t3086.htm

'98 SC Riviera 268k miles 298 HP/370 TQ 0-60: 5.79s ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 4087 lb 20.1 avg MPG Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley AL104 plugs 180 t-stat FWI w/K&N 1.9:1 rockers OR pushrods LS6 valve springs SLP headers ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts MaxAir shocks Addco sway bars UMI bushings GM STB Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus SS lines Brembo slotted discs DHP tuned Aeroforce Hidden Hitch

'05 GTO 49k miles 0-60: 4.8s 16.9 avg MPG Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26
Because fun
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
deekster_caddy
Master

Name: Derek
Merit: 106

PostSubject: Re: pin hole in fuel line   Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:08 pm

I would stop driving it until you fix that. The fuel comes down dangerously near the exhaust pipes.

The nylon/plastic fuel lines are available from auto parts stores, I forget the name or part number but IIRC most autozones and NAPAs have them in stock. They are hard to install (I think heat is required to soften the nylon), and going to braided lines is really not a bad idea if you are up for it.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Guru

Name:
Merit: 114

PostSubject: Re: pin hole in fuel line   Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:43 am

The connector kits are $15-20 each at parts stores; if I remember right the dealers have/can readily get repair kits for you for all the lines but I don't remember details.

I think stainless braided line kits are not hard to find on the internet.

Also didn't someone post the p/n for a Dorman repair kit a while back?

Albertj
Back to top Go down
96RIVMANN

Name: Paul
Merit: 11

PostSubject: Re: pin hole in fuel line   Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:32 pm

It is Dorman part # 800-058 for reference
Back to top Go down
1996RIV CALI
Rookie

Merit: 0

PostSubject: Re: pin hole in fuel line   Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:17 pm

i had the same problem i got my part from pep boys about 20 bucks .
Back to top Go down
Sweepspear

Name: Dale
Merit: 11

PostSubject: Re: pin hole in fuel line   Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:01 pm

I had the same leak.
I found the replacement easy to install.
It comes with a metal hose barb.
Per the instuctions, I used boiling water to attach the barb and form the new line close in shape to the old section which I cut out beforehand.
Since you can't get the remaining piece that is on the car in boiling water to soften it, I very carefully used a heat gun to soften the old line and slid the barb into it.

That was almost a year ago, and it's still holding.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Guru

Name:
Merit: 114

PostSubject: Re: pin hole in fuel line   Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:42 pm

96RIVMANN wrote:
It is Dorman part # 800-058 for reference

Just get the repair kit. I think you will find several list members have used it with good results.

A good blow-dryer hair dryer probably throws enough heat for this - I've never tried that but I would after drying out the gas from the section I was repairing. And by the way, come to think of it boiling water would be Just The Right Temp for softening the nylon for forming the replacement lines and installation of fittings.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Expert

Name: Rick
Merit: 100

PostSubject: Re: pin hole in fuel line   Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:08 pm

If I remember correctly, someone on here reported that they were able to remove the old plastic tube with a very sharp or new utility blade and did as you said. They softened the new tubing ends in very hot to boiling water and had a Hair Dryer available in case it was needed to completely fit the new section of plastic tube over the original section of Aluminum Tube.
If the the tube, as removed from the HOT water, starts to go on, but doesn't finish all the way then have the hair dryer plugged in and ready to go, set at hot to continue softening the plastic tubing to fit over the aluminum fuel tube. The ideal fitment is for you to be able to slip the new tubing on in a continuous manner.
I personally have never done it before but wouldn't hesitate to try with a Dorman kit and being able to try to replace in a continuous fashion for a good leak free seal.
Just be cautious when working around fuel, that's all.
Back to top Go down
96riv

Name: Dennis
Merit: 6

PostSubject: Re: pin hole in fuel line   Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:40 pm

I bought the cheap Dorman 058 kit for my leaky fuel line. I should have measured my old one because it is not long enough for a direct replacement. I wasted 15 bucks because I did not want to splice into existing fuel line. I dug around in my garage and found some 3/8 rubber high pressure fuel line and 4 clamps and 5 minutes later the job was complete. probably not aesthetically pleasing for some of you but with the cover on it looks ok.
Back to top Go down
http://www.arizonagn.com
ebracing20

Name: Erich
Merit: 0

PostSubject: Re: pin hole in fuel line   Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:57 pm

I had the same thing. Driving home from school with the defrost on, and all the sudden i smelled a ton of gas. I used that dorman splice. It been working with no leaks for 3 months, but come spring im switching the fuel lines from the firewall forward to stainless braided and AN fittings.
Back to top Go down
IFallsRon

Name: R.L.

PostSubject: Re: pin hole in fuel line   Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:17 pm

Although the Dorman repair is more cosmetically appealing, I replaced mine with 3/8 ID rubber. When the snow goes away, I'll look at something better.
Back to top Go down
duster_do_little

PostSubject: Re: pin hole in fuel line   Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:12 am

my splice is 3/8 ID high pressure rubber line, and seems to be holding strong. Sorry for the late response. When I get some money I'll probably replace with stainless braided. Had to replace the fuel pump this past summer and I can't believe how much that set me back. Hopefully this one lasts another 190k miles. And hopefully the rubber line lasts into this summer...New belts, fuel lines, turn signal bulbs, brights, and drivers side harness for the wheel speed sensor. Then whatever else goes bad on top of that.
Back to top Go down
duster_do_little

PostSubject: Re: pin hole in fuel line   Mon May 27, 2013 5:57 pm

reviving an old topic. My temporary fix has finally failed so I'm looking into repairing it properly now. If I went with steel braided lines, what all would I need to swap over? I'm seeing that the nylon Dorman part is $20 at advance auto (haven't really shopped around yet, just checking prices). At Auto zone I can get 3' of 3/8" id braided lines for the same price. Would I need to buy more stuff, and is the process very labor intensive?
Back to top Go down
joshuadalegrimes
Enthusiast

Name: josh
Merit: 13

PostSubject: Re: pin hole in fuel line   Mon May 27, 2013 9:38 pm

this happened to me last year. my mechanic ( 40 years in the buisness ) spliced mine with a metal repair section , heated the nylon then clamped the ends as a precaution( he also barbed the metal line or somethin like that to give it grip) have had no problems and the part was only about 10-20 bucks. i helped put it in and even cut the metal line to fit and bent it myself. <3 my mechanic! lol
Back to top Go down

pin hole in fuel line

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next