Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Write-Up: Radiator Replacement

Go down 
+23
highwaywarrior
robotennis61
charlieRobinson
gmann3001
J. Chris Davis
Natesriv
LARRY70GS
deekster_caddy
AA
albertj
playa
96riv
rivy96
Jack the R
rivman96
98riv
BMD
Eldo
Rickw
flyineagle96
Abaddon
27 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

Write-Up: Radiator Replacement  - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Radiator Replacement    Write-Up: Radiator Replacement  - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 15, 2012 9:06 pm

Natesriv wrote:
okay, two sides...

so NO teflon (or at least a tape type)???

I can see how AA's doesn't leak if he used a liquid sealant...

With a flare nut, if the seat and flare aren't squeezed together, it can leak out by the threads, or right around the pipe/nut. There is clearance there too, and if there is a pressurized leak it can and will come out anywhere it can. It's essentially two sealing surfaces, the flared pipe to the female receiving fitting seat, and the flare nut to the back of the flare on the pipe. The threads are not tapered, and not sealable. It's possible if the fitting isn't tight enough but was somewhat tight, that fluid was leaking past the flare seat and down the threads, but the flare nut to pipe/flare part of the seal was holding. But if the base can leak, the nut will eventually leak too, so sealing the threads is only going to hide your leak until another time. The key is making sure the pipe is straight and the threads are not crossed. Personally I hate flare nuts because I tend to overtighten them and round out the nut, requiring vice grips next time it comes apart. I think the newer design with the O-ring is a massive improvement.
Back to top Go down
Natesriv
Addict
Natesriv

Name : Nate
Merit : 16

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Radiator Replacement    Write-Up: Radiator Replacement  - Page 3 EmptySat Mar 17, 2012 12:01 pm

Okay, I got in it again yesterday and took the nut off. Cleaned the threads and the inner threads on radiator (as best I could).. I DID apply a small amount of thread sealent to the threads...this time a thin liquid instead of tape... and I then threaded it back and tightened it good...I feel any harder and I'll strip something...but I turned it pretty darn hard.

I then hosed off the spilt fluid and let it dry... Then I put a paper towel under the lower nut and went for a drive today. About 20 miles of mixed driving. Got home, looked at towel and it is wet with fluid, but not soaked.

Since that towel sat overnight, I wonder if it was just soaking up the watery/transmission fluid that was left over from the hose washing...

If it's still leaking then I'll take it off again, and NOT put anything on it, I'll clean the threads and put it back together and tighten it good again..

but besides that...what else can I do? I threads in, doesn't feel stripped but the nut doesn't go all the way in (never did I think)....

Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 251

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Radiator Replacement    Write-Up: Radiator Replacement  - Page 3 EmptySat Mar 17, 2012 1:12 pm

Wait a few days and see if it's actually still leaking. It may not be.

At this point, you need to think about protecting the radiator. If you over-tighten, it could damage the fittings, and that's the last thing you want to do. The way these work, when they get tight, they don't want to be tightened much more.

If we assume the new radiator fittings are in good shape (probably are), that leaves the line nut as the culprit. Imo, you can fairly easily cut the line and install a new nut and re-flare the line. That's what I'd do if you're still having a problem in 3 days time.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
Natesriv
Addict
Natesriv

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Radiator Replacement    Write-Up: Radiator Replacement  - Page 3 EmptySat Mar 17, 2012 5:40 pm

well SHIT!

Guys, guess what? When I bought this used replacement radiator, they plugged all the openings...INCLUDING the little overflow tube outlet.

Today my Bro-In-Law and I were looking at it...and realized that little opening was plugged, Removed the plug and all is better...

BUT...we also saw oil in the coolant...unsure if it's motor oil or tranny fluid (since that tranny fluid cooler is on the passenger side)

So....I'm unsure WTF to do... right now I see no indication that I blew a head gasket..car drives fine, no smoke or steam or bubbles in coolant. No foam on oil cap.... we're thinking the plugged outlet may have overpressurized the internals and made the tranny fluid leak out...an internal crack which is now closed since the coolant system now works right..

I'm going to drive it and check every day for leaks, bubbles, and other indicators for a gasket faiure or tranny leak

SH_T!!! I never thought to check that little tube!!
Back to top Go down
Natesriv
Addict
Natesriv

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Radiator Replacement    Write-Up: Radiator Replacement  - Page 3 EmptySun Mar 18, 2012 11:12 am

Took another look this a.m. ...a better look

Appears the entire inner surface of the radiator (at least as far as my finger can reach) is coated in a blick oily film...it's not reddish, but certainly is sludgy..not like motor oil

What could it be...motor oil? Tranny fluid?

AND WTF do I do with it now?

I know I have to drain it again, and new coolant, but it will need a major flush to get all that goo off the innards...can it even be done with a flush?

I'm not driving the Riv again until I get a new radiator...not a USED one... I think my not removing that plug I may have overpressurized it and damaged it internally...

THIS SUCKS!
Back to top Go down
Natesriv
Addict
Natesriv

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Radiator Replacement    Write-Up: Radiator Replacement  - Page 3 EmptySun Mar 18, 2012 5:30 pm

okay, bought some radiator flush which says it removes sludge online. Will wait for it to arrive. Then I'll flush the entire system and refill...hopefully the plugged outlet was the problem...

until then, she sits in the driveway until I can flush her. I'll redo the tranny line again, it appers to still be leaking, but now I'm curious is the leak was always related to the blocked outlet and the whole sytem being overpressurized...

anyone??
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Radiator Replacement    Write-Up: Radiator Replacement  - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 19, 2012 12:23 pm

I would guess that is transmission fluid. Transmission cooler leaks are fairly common in radiators. Either that or it's oil from the intake manifold. Having the radiator pressure tested should identify the trans cooler's status. Having the whole cooling system pressure tested should help locate other leaks (engine/LIM gaksets etc).

You need to figure out where it is coming from. Adding a cleaning agent and flushing the coolant will not do any good unless you have found/stopped the leak first.
Back to top Go down
Natesriv
Addict
Natesriv

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Radiator Replacement    Write-Up: Radiator Replacement  - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 19, 2012 1:28 pm

well, it's a used radiator and i don't see any way to check internals for leaks...
I think I'm going to just get a NEW radiator, flush the system before I install it thorugly and put the new one in.

Hey, to get enough flow into heater core, should I remove thermostat for the flush?
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Radiator Replacement    Write-Up: Radiator Replacement  - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 19, 2012 4:09 pm

Coolant is always fully flowing through the heater core, even before the thermostat opens. You want to warm it up enough for coolant to flow through the thermostat as well. It also depends on the type of flush, so follow the instructions that come with it.
Back to top Go down
Natesriv
Addict
Natesriv

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Radiator Replacement    Write-Up: Radiator Replacement  - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 20, 2012 12:04 pm

another thought, would it be an option to bypass the tranny cooler lines and just install a tranny oil cooler radiator itself...mount it in front of the a/c radiator?
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Radiator Replacement    Write-Up: Radiator Replacement  - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 20, 2012 1:12 pm

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Radiator Replacement    Write-Up: Radiator Replacement  - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 20, 2012 1:54 pm

You can install an external cooler. They work much better than the internal cooler. The only downside is running the transmission fluid too cold in the winter. Otherwise it will be fine.
Back to top Go down
Natesriv
Addict
Natesriv

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Radiator Replacement    Write-Up: Radiator Replacement  - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 20, 2012 2:01 pm

looking at the posted link...it appeared in diagram that it still went through the radiator...but I haven't fully looked.

I think i'll stay OEM if I can...just not looking forward to redoing the radiator again... but she is 16 years old
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Radiator Replacement    Write-Up: Radiator Replacement  - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 20, 2012 2:26 pm

I run mine in series with the radiator, but that's because it doesn't leak! You can bypass the radiator if you want. I installed a thermostat on the transmission line to only flow to the external cooler above 180º.

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Radiator Replacement    Write-Up: Radiator Replacement  - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 20, 2012 2:34 pm

It should be run in series with the radiator's trans cooler in a permanent installation. But since you need to eliminate a possible oil into coolant leak, you could try bypassing the radiator completely and leave it that way until next winter. You will also find out quickly if you are leaking antifreeze out of the trans cooler fittings!

There is also a UV dye you can add to your coolant.
Back to top Go down
Natesriv
Addict
Natesriv

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Radiator Replacement    Write-Up: Radiator Replacement  - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 20, 2012 3:47 pm

BLAH! So much work...if I'd only found that little plug!

And it's rainy here all week, so I'm basically just waiting...

Driving my Si, and that makes me appreciate the almost silent super smooth ride the Riv has!
Back to top Go down
Natesriv
Addict
Natesriv

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Radiator Replacement    Write-Up: Radiator Replacement  - Page 3 EmptySun Mar 25, 2012 1:46 pm

UPDATE:

Went an bought a new radiator at Advance Auto for $198 with tax. Could have had one cheaper ($155 before tax) but that was about 20 miles away... and $4 gas kinda equals it out smile

SO....put it in...seems to work fine. I flushed the old radiator and the fluid was mostly green...it seems just the internals of the radiator were oil soaked...may have been tranny fluid...

BUT!!! I sorta pressure tested the tranny section and it sure seemed fine...

OH, I had cross threaded the lower tranny connection and that's why it leaked... so a replacment had to be done...

I do recommend when installing a radiator to disconnect both the small clamps that hold the lines to the frame... that way you can maneuver them to screw in the connectors to the radiator by hand... Lower one went in fine,, went for a long drive, no leak...problem solved.

So bascially I wasted $100 on an old radiator & fluid... as my Brother-in-Law says.."It's only money, you can always make more" smile
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Radiator Replacement    Write-Up: Radiator Replacement  - Page 3 EmptySun Mar 25, 2012 5:54 pm

Thanks for the update. Glad to see you are back in business!

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
gmann3001
Fanatic
gmann3001

Name : Glenn W. Peck
Merit : 9

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Radiator Replacement    Write-Up: Radiator Replacement  - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 26, 2012 2:30 am

yes you can always make more money, but the feds frown upon that scat LOL
Back to top Go down
http://gmann3001@yahoo.com
Natesriv
Addict
Natesriv

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Radiator Replacement    Write-Up: Radiator Replacement  - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 26, 2012 3:41 pm

why? they do it in china all the time!!! tongue
Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

Name : Charlie
Merit : 31

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Radiator Replacement    Write-Up: Radiator Replacement  - Page 3 EmptySat Mar 16, 2013 11:00 am

Write-Up: Radiator Replacement  - Page 3 OversizedAluminumRadiator

http://shop.zzperformance.com/store/p/1161-ZZP-Oversized-Aluminum-Radiator.aspx

I wonder if this would be a drop in for our Rivs?
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Radiator Replacement    Write-Up: Radiator Replacement  - Page 3 EmptySat Mar 16, 2013 12:41 pm

Don't know, but our rads definately keep the engine cool as-is. This one lets you say you have a big, expensive rad, but personally I don't need to run any cooler. Just install a 160 t-stat for $10, which is already too cold.

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Radiator Replacement    Write-Up: Radiator Replacement  - Page 3 EmptySat Mar 16, 2013 1:11 pm

This is what I got.has everything except the coolant level sensor. works great. if youre running stock you have no idea what youre missing.with this rad underhood temps are way down

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performance-Products/555/52009/10002/-1?parentProductId=752961

took very little modification to install.looks really cool too! I am only using 1 OEM fan and thats plenty to keep the engine cool.I do have 1 of these on order.come summer time Ill need the CFMs

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performance-Products/555/52115/10002/-1?parentProductId=1014845

chillin
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Radiator Replacement    Write-Up: Radiator Replacement  - Page 3 EmptySat Mar 16, 2013 2:09 pm

That JEGS unit looks nice, and priced right. I like having the coolant level sensor (saved me once), but I wouldn't miss the cracking plastic hose fitting on the OEM one bit. I'd like to find an all metal option with the sensor, or modify one like this to accept it.

Back to the ZZP unit, for $300, you could almost buy a used PCM tuning package and program your fans to keep the coolant very close to 180º-185º even in summer. I find it really hard to get temps much above 185º when driving. Even at the road course last year, well below 200º most of the time, after a dozen 2-mile laps. If that's all I used the car for, maybe the ZZP unit would make more sense.

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Radiator Replacement    Write-Up: Radiator Replacement  - Page 3 EmptySat Mar 16, 2013 2:36 pm

couple pics of installed rad.I know it looks a little hacked.Ill address the look of everything when I can.but its super strong installed and done move at all.I even used the OEM rubber blocks to isolate the rad.only took a little trimming.

Write-Up: Radiator Replacement  - Page 3 HPIM1735_zpsac70b65c

my oh so cool Gates Vulco flex hose!

Write-Up: Radiator Replacement  - Page 3 HPIM1736_zpsc9cf0c11

The installation of the Jegs rad nessecitates special hose.a 1 1/4 x 1 1/2 upper rad hose & a 1 1/2 x 1 3/4 lower. with these hoses ,flow is so much straighter.the whole set up imo,takes a lot of stress out of the cooling system.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Radiator Replacement    Write-Up: Radiator Replacement  - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Write-Up: Radiator Replacement
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next