Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Moving on to another classic Buick

Go down 
+6
Rickw
Sweepspear
BMD
Abaddon
jonly
blackbart95
10 posters
AuthorMessage
blackbart95
Enthusiast
blackbart95

Name : Mark
Merit : 3

Moving on to another classic Buick Empty
PostSubject: Moving on to another classic Buick   Moving on to another classic Buick EmptySat Jul 10, 2010 11:40 am

I am turning yet another chapter in my life with cars and have sold my wrecked 95 Riviera to make room for the latest Buick in the family: a 1964 Wildcat convertible happy
Moving on to another classic Buick Wildcat11
Moving on to another classic Buick Wildcat10
Moving on to another classic Buick Wildcat12
I really appreciate all the helpful advice I've gotten over the years and wish you all the best.
Back to top Go down
jonly
Enthusiast
jonly

Name : james
Merit : 9

PostSubject: Re: Moving on to another classic Buick   Moving on to another classic Buick EmptySat Jul 10, 2010 12:43 pm

that is beautiful!
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: Moving on to another classic Buick   Moving on to another classic Buick EmptySat Jul 10, 2010 1:02 pm

That certainly is purdy....
Back to top Go down
jonly
Enthusiast
jonly

Name : james
Merit : 9

PostSubject: Re: Moving on to another classic Buick   Moving on to another classic Buick EmptySat Jul 10, 2010 1:11 pm

lets get more pictures. are those the clark's covers on the seats? 401/425?
Back to top Go down
BMD
Aficionado
BMD

Name : BMD
Merit : 36

PostSubject: Re: Moving on to another classic Buick   Moving on to another classic Buick EmptySat Jul 10, 2010 1:13 pm

Right there, is a moment, take it in....blue sky, nice view, cool ride, open road, ahhhhhh congrats Mark, beautiful car.
Back to top Go down
Sweepspear
Fanatic
Sweepspear

Name : Dale
Merit : 11

PostSubject: Re: Moving on to another classic Buick   Moving on to another classic Buick EmptySat Jul 10, 2010 2:12 pm

Nice choice!
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: Moving on to another classic Buick   Moving on to another classic Buick EmptySat Jul 10, 2010 2:30 pm

BMD wrote:
Right there, is a moment, take it in....blue sky, nice view, cool ride, open road, ahhhhhh congrats Mark, beautiful car.

I couldn't have described what I was thinking any better than that.

Very nice car and hope you get the chance to enjoy it with the top down in the hills and mountains of NC.

Is that the BlueRidge mountains where looking at.?

Tell us a little more about the car when you can.
Back to top Go down
blackbart95
Enthusiast
blackbart95

Merit : 3

PostSubject: Re: Moving on to another classic Buick   Moving on to another classic Buick EmptySun Jul 11, 2010 10:31 am

Thanks all. The pictures were taken on the Blue Ridge Parkway near Cherokee, NC. The car is 95% original. It has the #s matching 401 engine and turbo 400 transmission. HP is 325 and 445 ft lbs torque. It moves along quickly for being over 2 tons. It has 99,600 miles on it. The interior is all original except for the carpet. It has factory air, bucket seats, console (no tach). The paint and top were redone about 6 years ago. My goal is to preserve it and enjoy it as much as possible, fixing things as needed and keeping as many original parts as possible.
My only planned mod is to add air bags inside the rear springs and a air ride leveling system to compensate for having 4 passengers. We have a lot of driveways that have steep approaches here in the maountains. I'd also like to find a correct tach for the console.
It runs great, purrs like a kitten, and leaks/burns no oil, just like a Buick should. wink
Back to top Go down
98riv

Merit : 30

PostSubject: Re: Moving on to another classic Buick   Moving on to another classic Buick EmptySun Jul 11, 2010 11:33 am

Nice car!

Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Moving on to another classic Buick   Moving on to another classic Buick EmptySun Jul 11, 2010 11:52 am

Very nice upgrade. Love GM cars from these years!

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Merit : 104

PostSubject: Re: Moving on to another classic Buick   Moving on to another classic Buick EmptySun Jul 11, 2010 5:57 pm

You lucky dog, you got a "Switch Pitch" Super Turbine 400!

That would explain some of the acceleration - and I'll bet that it hardly fights the brakes when stopped at a red light...
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Moving on to another classic Buick   Moving on to another classic Buick EmptySun Jul 11, 2010 6:03 pm

When you mention "Switch Pitch" was that the dual turbine torque converter that I've read about, but never experienced to my knowledge.

I was not taught much about auto trans back in the day 60's - 70's, but read a lot.

I may have driven customer's cars with one but never owned one, which would have made me smarter.
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

PostSubject: Re: Moving on to another classic Buick   Moving on to another classic Buick EmptySun Jul 11, 2010 6:32 pm

Rickw wrote:
When you mention "Switch Pitch" was that the dual turbine torque converter that I've read about?

Actually, the twin-turbine was the old Dynaflow. The Switch Pitch was a 'regular' torque converter mounted to the front of Turbo 400s and PowerGlides, which had a 2-position stator. The vanes would give you high-stall for acceleration and reduced creep at idle, and low-stall for cruising. Of course, you could use taller rear-axle ratios, so it was kind of the first step toward overdrive, but simpler, more robust and smoother. (And it made the ridiculous 2-speed PowerGlide much more tolerable in Super Turbine 300 and Olds Jetaway trim...)

These attachments to the throttle linkage are the giveaway:

Moving on to another classic Buick 4287754062_46a7b7a0e6
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Moving on to another classic Buick   Moving on to another classic Buick EmptySun Jul 11, 2010 7:56 pm

Can you still buy a switch pitch Torque converter for install in another 400 equipped car.?

It is basically early variable vane technology with 2 positions.?
Or did the vanes move smoothly from one position to the other.?
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

PostSubject: Re: Moving on to another classic Buick   Moving on to another classic Buick EmptySun Jul 11, 2010 7:59 pm

Rickw wrote:
Can you still buy a switch pitch Torque converter for install in another 400 equipped car.?

It is basically early variable vane technology with 2 positions.?
Or did the vanes move smoothly from one position to the other.?

Negative. The tranny has to be plumbed to run control-fluid out to the stator. And even then, they changed
bell-housings mid-run, so that the first 2 or 3 years can't be used with later engines...

Just 2 positions, not truly variable.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Moving on to another classic Buick   Moving on to another classic Buick EmptyMon Jul 12, 2010 8:52 am

Rick, our '69 Special and '73 LeSabre have both been converted to switch pitch converters. You need a different front pump assy and a solenoid, and I think there might have been something else different (vlave body?) - we changed it so long ago I can't remember now, but Kenne Belle used to sell kits for it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Moving on to another classic Buick   Moving on to another classic Buick Empty

Back to top Go down

Moving on to another classic Buick
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Riv Performance ::   General :: Showroom-
Jump to: