Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Manuel's '01 GTP bulid I'm doing

Go down 
+7
L67
AA
Eldo
DEMonte1997
VJD2
Abaddon
turtleman
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

Manuel's '01 GTP bulid I'm doing - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Manuel's '01 GTP bulid I'm doing   Manuel's '01 GTP bulid I'm doing - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 16, 2010 9:05 pm

Why the waste of money on the MSD coils might I ask?
Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

Name : Codith
Merit : 140

PostSubject: Re: Manuel's '01 GTP bulid I'm doing   Manuel's '01 GTP bulid I'm doing - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 16, 2010 9:57 pm

Abaddon wrote:
Why the waste of money on the MSD coils might I ask?

He wanted 'em.
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: Manuel's '01 GTP bulid I'm doing   Manuel's '01 GTP bulid I'm doing - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 16, 2010 10:03 pm

That answers that. lol Lookin good man. Can't wait to see it finished.
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Name : Mark
Merit : 104

PostSubject: Re: Manuel's '01 GTP bulid I'm doing   Manuel's '01 GTP bulid I'm doing - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 17, 2010 2:57 am

On a related note, with the IC install, did you have to modify the coolant passage for the rear head?
Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

PostSubject: Re: Manuel's '01 GTP bulid I'm doing   Manuel's '01 GTP bulid I'm doing - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 17, 2010 12:28 pm

Eldo wrote:
On a related note, with the IC install, did you have to modify the coolant passage for the rear head?

I did no such thing. What is it you're talking about?
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

PostSubject: Re: Manuel's '01 GTP bulid I'm doing   Manuel's '01 GTP bulid I'm doing - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 17, 2010 3:23 pm

turtleman wrote:
Eldo wrote:

I did no such thing. What is it you're talking about?

I was thinking of this thread from a couple days ago... Perhaps it doesn't apply to an IC install?
https://rivperformance.editboard.com/series-ii-engine-transmission-f4/phenolic-blower-spacer-t7024.htm?highlight=spacer
Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

PostSubject: Re: Manuel's '01 GTP bulid I'm doing   Manuel's '01 GTP bulid I'm doing - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 17, 2010 7:23 pm

We got the downpipe & ubend/cat delete done this morning as well as the tail end of my exhaust probably for good this time. I went to plumb the IC and one of the first things I did was test the IC pump. I'm glad I did 'cause it looks like this thing's dead. I'm not really disappointed though - he needs a better pump than this piece of shit anyway. I googled the part number of this one and check it out...
http://www.boatersworld.com/product/MP63527646.htm
Don't laugh but someone actually ran this on their GTP for years apparently. Flood prime and a whopping 1GPM! Yikes!

I'm going to recommend a flowjet be acquired. We'll buy it new I guess but I'm looking around right now for a used. Let me know if you know of any, please.
Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

PostSubject: Re: Manuel's '01 GTP bulid I'm doing   Manuel's '01 GTP bulid I'm doing - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 21, 2010 12:18 am

The pump came in today - 1 day from zzp - very nice!

Manuel's '01 GTP bulid I'm doing - Page 2 CIMG1696
I'm thinking that'll work out better...

He's bringing the car back over tomorrow mornin at about 8:30. I'm hoping to knock it out reasonably quickly - I have my own car badly needing attention too.

The FMHE and core are already mounted. I need to hang the pump, hose it and wire it up. I'm going to get a relay and hook it up either to ignition or a manual switch, or both depending on exactly how he wants it. plumming is pretty straightforward except exactly where to but the fill "T". It looks like people like to put it against the firewall or behind the grill sorta where the FMHE is. Suggestions?
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

PostSubject: Re: Manuel's '01 GTP bulid I'm doing   Manuel's '01 GTP bulid I'm doing - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 21, 2010 12:34 am

Terrific, even the British are making stuff in Mexico... rolleyes

It certainly is a monster compared to the other one!
I notice it says "intermittent duty" - do you run intercooler pumps off a manifold pressure switch?
Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

PostSubject: Re: Manuel's '01 GTP bulid I'm doing   Manuel's '01 GTP bulid I'm doing - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 21, 2010 12:54 am

Eldo wrote:
I notice it says "intermittent duty" - do you run intercooler pumps off a manifold pressure switch?

hah nope - just take ZZP's word that it'll be fine...
You can buy a pump controller that throttles or slows down the pump under casual driving conditions but it doesn't work on this type of pump anyway. The documents packaged with the pump suggests it was built for stuff like home water systems where the pump will run when water is used - intermittently. It happens to be very good at forcing a healthy amount of fluid through a somewhat restrictive path so it's good for SSIC systems basically (lines in the 3/8" - 1/2" range). It makes sense that ZZP is the only one that really sells this pump because as far as I know, they are the only ones that make a short stack intercooler at the moment.
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

PostSubject: Re: Manuel's '01 GTP bulid I'm doing   Manuel's '01 GTP bulid I'm doing - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 21, 2010 1:02 am

Cool, thanks.
Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

PostSubject: Re: Manuel's '01 GTP bulid I'm doing   Manuel's '01 GTP bulid I'm doing - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 21, 2010 6:50 pm

Well it's basically all done. The IC system doesn't really hold very much fluid so when I do mine, I'll probably just get about 3 bottles of redline and a gal of distilled water.

I ended up playing a little bit with the coolant circuit. This pump doesn't really let water move through it when it's off so I had to swap the suction and feed lines around to fill up the front mount with water - otherwise I would have been there all day. When I do my own, I think I'm going to run enforced clear lines if only to see whats going on. All you have to look at is the little fill hose to see when you're getting anywhere with filling it. Once I got no more air coming up and letting fluid in I ran the car and felt the front heat exchanger to see if was getting hot - I figured that was a pretty good way to know. It definitely works! It was moving heat with the car sitting idling for a while. I wanted to get moving onto other things for the day so I didn't really go for a ride in the car but I will at some point I'm sure.

Oh for some odd reason, the car is kindof doing what my car does with starting. sometimes it fires right up. But mainly if you warm it up and shut it off, then try to start it a short time later, it doesn't really want to. Seems like if you hit the gas, it will fire up but not like its happy about it. Is that F'ed up or what? We didn't do anything that aught to have any worthy affect on the tune but I might have to play around with that later. The O2 sensor is original and I suggested it wouldn't be a bad idea to get a new OEM one at some point - for maintainance sake, if nothing else. The car has about 130k on it now and IMO that sensor needs to be in tip top shape to make sure the PCM can handle the changes.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: Manuel's '01 GTP bulid I'm doing   Manuel's '01 GTP bulid I'm doing - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 22, 2010 1:28 am

Did anything get down on the crank position sensor.
My brother did some work on his car and he's a bit of a sloppy wrench, got stuff all over everything including the CPS.
After i pointed it out and he cleaned everything real good, it ran fine.
It seems he had the sensors and pickup all dirty, I guess.
Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

PostSubject: Re: Manuel's '01 GTP bulid I'm doing   Manuel's '01 GTP bulid I'm doing - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 19, 2012 2:58 pm

Manuel's July 2012 re-build!

So he's been buying all kinds of shit over that last couple years and waiting for me to build it for him even though I don't have time anymore but that's another story. I told him he's going to need a built transmission which he was going to postpone due to lack of funds much to my dismay but then... his trans took a shit in like August! lol (afaik a typical failure - not stress related but who knows)

So now I'm getting to the end of swapping in a tim king built trans and building his engine. Will update thread with everything when I have more time but for now, a teaser.

Manuel's '01 GTP bulid I'm doing - Page 2 Photo516
Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

PostSubject: Re: Manuel's '01 GTP bulid I'm doing   Manuel's '01 GTP bulid I'm doing - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 19, 2012 3:03 pm

Oh and what do ya know? This guy picks up a transmission from someone local that happens to be in a G/H body case! Why isn't this going into my car?? bonk

Manuel's '01 GTP bulid I'm doing - Page 2 Photo501
Back to top Go down
Selcouth
Amateur
Selcouth

Name : Jonny
Merit : 1

PostSubject: Re: Manuel's '01 GTP bulid I'm doing   Manuel's '01 GTP bulid I'm doing - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 02, 2012 4:08 am

Enjoyed the thread. Any updates on this? What all is being rebuilt?
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Manuel's '01 GTP bulid I'm doing   Manuel's '01 GTP bulid I'm doing - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 02, 2012 4:22 am

I am enjoying the thread too.

I have to get away from the Manuel karma though. My trans (my TC) grenaded last week.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Selcouth
Amateur
Selcouth

Name : Jonny
Merit : 1

PostSubject: Re: Manuel's '01 GTP bulid I'm doing   Manuel's '01 GTP bulid I'm doing - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 02, 2012 4:40 am

albertj wrote:

I have to get away from the Manuel karma though. My trans (my TC) grenaded last week.

Albertj

Sucks! Hopefully you won't be out of commission for long. What replacement are looking to do? Higher stall?
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Manuel's '01 GTP bulid I'm doing   Manuel's '01 GTP bulid I'm doing - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 02, 2012 5:11 am

Selcouth wrote:
albertj wrote:

Albertj

Sucks! Hopefully you won't be out of commission for long. What replacement are looking to do? Higher stall?

No, I run a lot of highway miles and will rebuild with transgo and sonnax parts for durability. A Recon TC, heavy duty frictions, steels, and bands, and Dex VI fluid. And a trans cooler if I can figure out where to hang it. Basically, a 'towing-duty' transmission.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Manuel's '01 GTP bulid I'm doing   Manuel's '01 GTP bulid I'm doing - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 02, 2012 6:46 am

I am very pleased with the performance of the True Cool MAX 22,000 BTU unit. Holding up very well after 2.5 years of service. This unit will keep your trans at or below coolant temp most of the time.

https://rivperformance.editboard.com/t1748p45-write-up-transmission-cooler-install

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

PostSubject: Re: Manuel's '01 GTP bulid I'm doing   Manuel's '01 GTP bulid I'm doing - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 02, 2012 1:14 pm

I got back from my trip to Yellowstone the 29th and got his car back on the road Monday. Some little issues - kinked the fuel pressure hose going to the rail. The zzp modded rails put it in a bad position. Fixed that. The hood wouldn't close. The boost bypass solenoid mounting ear was hitting it. Pretty much just sawed that off and he'll mount the solenoid elsewhere. Hood closes now. The car seems to run pretty nice. We drove it right over to our favorite exhaust shop and got the exhaust welded together (because of the newly installed headers) It needs tuning though (which I refused to be responsible for). I'm going to do some logs and get it nice and drivable this Saturday so he can drive it to get tuned by a real pro hopefully on a dyno. Trans seems to be running nice. ZZP 2750 stall is very street friendly.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Manuel's '01 GTP bulid I'm doing   Manuel's '01 GTP bulid I'm doing - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Manuel's '01 GTP bulid I'm doing
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Riv Performance ::   Supercharged 3800 Tech :: Series II Engine & Transmission-
Jump to: