Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Stereo Opinion

Go down 
+2
SpaceBar
Orca
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Orca
Amateur
Orca

Merit : 0

Stereo Opinion Empty
PostSubject: Stereo Opinion   Stereo Opinion EmptySun Apr 22, 2007 1:36 pm

So I dropped about 500 bucks at Circuit City and had a new Pioneer stereo installed in my Riv. It has the whole Sirius radio hookup and the iPod connecter. It's pretty badass and it sounds great. So here's the deal. The guys at Circuit City did the install and the main dash face panel doesn't entirely fit flush on the dash like it used to.

It bows out a little bit at the bottom where the vents are. The dude said it's because there are so many wires in the back of the stereo. He said there is nothing they can do about it. The gap is large enough for me to get my fingertips under it.

I think I'm going to take it back, but I wanted to hear from you guys first. I don't really know anything about installing car stereos, but I think their explanation is a little weak. I already had to take it back once because the dash rattled. Have any of you ever had this kind of problem before when you've had a stereo installed in your Riv? I just want to make sure this isn't something that most Riv owners have to deal with because of the layout or something.

I've had plenty of sound systems put in cars, and this is a first for me.

Here's what I got:

Pioneer DEHP4900IB
Pioneer iPod adapter
Sirius Tuner
Dash Kit
Pioneer Harness
GM Harness
Antenna Adapter
Back to top Go down
SpaceBar
Aficionado
SpaceBar

Name : Patrick
Merit : 3

Stereo Opinion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stereo Opinion   Stereo Opinion EmptySun Apr 22, 2007 3:19 pm

Any pictures? I got one installed at circuit city and the kit fits perfectly inside the dash. But my dash does rattle, do you know how they fixed that?
Back to top Go down
http://community.webshots.com/user/xspacebarx
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 251

Stereo Opinion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stereo Opinion   Stereo Opinion EmptySun Apr 22, 2007 4:12 pm

Why not do it yourself and save $500, install it correctly, with no rattles?

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
Orca
Amateur
Orca

Stereo Opinion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stereo Opinion   Stereo Opinion EmptySun Apr 22, 2007 4:45 pm

I spent $500 on the system. I think they put it in free since I spent so much. I don't really have the dexterity or patience to do an install myself. I'll get some pics to show you what I'm talking about.

How did they fix your rattle SpaceBar? I know there are all kinds of felt strips you can use to stop it.
Back to top Go down
SpaceBar
Aficionado
SpaceBar

Name : Patrick
Merit : 3

Stereo Opinion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stereo Opinion   Stereo Opinion EmptySun Apr 22, 2007 6:03 pm

Orca wrote:
I spent $500 on the system. I think they put it in free since I spent so much. I don't really have the dexterity or patience to do an install myself. I'll get some pics to show you what I'm talking about.

How did they fix your rattle SpaceBar? I know there are all kinds of felt strips you can use to stop it.

They didn't fix it it still rattles frown They install any head unit for free if you spend $99 or over.
Back to top Go down
http://community.webshots.com/user/xspacebarx
steel2040

Stereo Opinion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stereo Opinion   Stereo Opinion EmptyWed Apr 25, 2007 3:47 pm

the space in the back does have to be takin care of due to the fact the factory head units face dont detatch they end up makin aftermarket stereos an 1 or more deeper . My boy used to own a custom audio shop and we did it to my 02 monte carlo and i took apart the dash of the riv to see the same thing atleast it isnt the heating vent back there like the monte's
Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

Name : Codith
Merit : 140

Stereo Opinion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stereo Opinion   Stereo Opinion EmptyWed Apr 25, 2007 5:57 pm

I encountered this issue immediately when i put my system in and fixed it by dremeling out the back plastic wall behind the deck cub. that gives you about another inch or two of deck clearance and a lot more wiring manuverability. And I did it myself and have no vibration or anything so I couldn't tell you how to make yours stop.
Back to top Go down
sburch23
Addict
sburch23

Name : Scott
Merit : 14

Stereo Opinion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stereo Opinion   Stereo Opinion EmptySat Apr 28, 2007 11:11 am

Take it back and tell Circuit City to do it right!!

I had the same problem when my Alpine unit was installed. I took it back to the installers who gave me the same story. I ended up taking it to Best Buy and they fixed it. They told me that they had to "fish the wires around the back part of the dash" but it looks like it should now. I did not doubt that this was a lot of work since I had the power cable, 3 pairs of RCA outputs, steering wheel control cable and iPod cable. I even ended up with more iPod cable to work with.

They also replaced the plastic pocket that had been installed under the head unit. The original unit had the top portion bowed down. The replacement unit apparently just fit exactly.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Stereo Opinion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stereo Opinion   Stereo Opinion Empty

Back to top Go down

Stereo Opinion
Page 1 of 1