Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

FAQ: Supercharger Oil (M62 & M90)

Go down 
+20
1967 - 1997 Riviera
pbrktrt
chitown_riv98
Yardley
llamalor2112
1998 Riv
DEMonte1997
Abaddon
flyineagle96
Jason
Sweepspear
Eldo
AA
Rickw
T Riley
robotennis61
deekster_caddy
xxsupergman25xx
24 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

FAQ: Supercharger Oil (M62 & M90) - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Supercharger Oil (M62 & M90)   FAQ: Supercharger Oil (M62 & M90) - Page 4 EmptyFri Sep 27, 2019 6:37 am

EyeDoc1 wrote:
Sorry...I just mentioned one of the things that's been known to honk off even the Holy Father, but I've needed some rather expensive door window motors and junkyards and me are on a first name basis.  The problem with harvesting parts that are riveted from a junkyard is more than "hey, you got a 6 point 10 mm socket I could borrow?"  So how do you remove a rivet easily when you have no access to power for a Dremel.  Yes, I know, battery operated drills are available, but wouldn't it just be easier if Ford or BMW to bolt them on instead of riveting?  I was just venting, and Rick was just commiserating.

A chassis reamer works to get rivets out at a junkyard. I use a chassis reamer primarily to make holes for switches and lights on one-off electronic projects. It works quickly on rivet removal too, at the junkyard.
Back to top Go down
EyeDoc1
Enthusiast

Name : Christen
Merit : 5

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Supercharger Oil (M62 & M90)   FAQ: Supercharger Oil (M62 & M90) - Page 4 EmptyFri Sep 27, 2019 1:10 pm

While I love tools, I wasn't aware of these. Reading over the specifications of exact what reamers do, it makes sense to have a set, even if you're not using them for car stuff. All to often I've relied on drill bits to do the job, and they do that rather questionably. No wonder I've broken bits trying to get them to do what they weren't designed for. I trust, these aren't the same as "E-Z Outs" a set of bits of increasing size used to remove broken studs out of cylinder blocks (first used on a 1973 Ford Pinto). Used occasionally, but I never thought of them for rivet removal. Granted, this is off-the-topic for supercharger maintenance, but hopefully someone else stumbles on this and finds it interesting. You can PM me on "E-Z Outs" and whether they'd work.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Supercharger Oil (M62 & M90)   FAQ: Supercharger Oil (M62 & M90) - Page 4 EmptyFri Sep 27, 2019 2:22 pm

EyeDoc1 wrote:
While I love tools, I wasn't aware of these.  Reading over the specifications of exact what reamers do, it makes sense to have a set, even if you're not using them for car stuff.  All to often I've relied on drill bits to do the job, and they do that rather questionably.  No wonder I've broken bits trying to get them to do what they weren't designed for.  I trust, these aren't the same as "E-Z Outs" a set of bits of increasing size used to remove broken studs out of cylinder blocks (first used on a 1973 Ford Pinto).  Used occasionally, but I never thought of them for rivet removal.  Granted, this is off-the-topic for supercharger maintenance, but hopefully someone else stumbles on this and finds it interesting.  You can PM me on "E-Z Outs" and whether they'd work.

Yeah... seven bucks at amazon, three bucks at harbor freight, keep it in a baggie or pouch so it does not get dull from knocking around (not used much) in the toolbox. Makes *very* short work of those rivets. See https://www.amazon.com/Jameco-Benchpro-THR1-R-Components-Diameter/dp/B00B889BVM/ref=sr_1_2. Mine is old, my dad gave it to me when I was in middle school, my hobby then (and now) is electronics.

These are not and will not work as ez-outs.

For the rest of you - search eBay or Amazon or Harbor Freight for "handle reamer" they are not hiding.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Name : Mark
Merit : 104

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Supercharger Oil (M62 & M90)   FAQ: Supercharger Oil (M62 & M90) - Page 4 EmptySat Sep 28, 2019 12:36 am

albertj wrote:

I did not know that, being uninitiated.  Thanks.

wow rotf
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Supercharger Oil (M62 & M90)   FAQ: Supercharger Oil (M62 & M90) - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

FAQ: Supercharger Oil (M62 & M90)
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4