Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

FAQ: Ported Blower vs. Gen V?

Go down 
+17
99prixgt
TonySmooth89
deekster_caddy
Rickw
ewolfe0050
BillBoost37
shrek90
97rivman
1998 Riv
dreww
urbsnspices
Mr.Riviera
oldsman105
AA
RhinoFLA
21 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

Name : Codith
Merit : 140

FAQ: Ported Blower vs. Gen V? - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Ported Blower vs. Gen V?   FAQ: Ported Blower vs. Gen V? - Page 4 EmptyTue May 14, 2013 11:28 am

Replacing rear needle bearing on the alternator - just a few tidbits to help but it's totally doable.

I got a replacement alternator from a junk yard to machine the rear case and use on my car and I figured the bearings are cheap, why chance it.

FAQ: Ported Blower vs. Gen V? - Page 4 20130513_175157
There is a very slight step there you can see so you want to press it out towards the inside of the case.

Pressing the new one in I used some anti-seize for good measure. Rest the case down on an even surface right on the back. The area of the case surrounding the bearing sticks out so that's all that need be supported.

FAQ: Ported Blower vs. Gen V? - Page 4 20130514_000334

FAQ: Ported Blower vs. Gen V? - Page 4 20130514_000329
not the best pic but this is demonstrating you can kinda look through the cavities of the empty alternator case sideways to make sure the bearing is lined up even so you don't start pressing it cocked.

FAQ: Ported Blower vs. Gen V? - Page 4 20130514_000509
almost there. At this point I used the old bearing as a spacer to press it the rest of the way because the larger piece of metal I was using ran out of clearance with the inside of the alternator case.

FAQ: Ported Blower vs. Gen V? - Page 4 20130514_001315
There we go.

FAQ: Ported Blower vs. Gen V? - Page 4 20130514_001042
Just going flush to the outside surface of the alternator case and you're done! Stupid easy.
Even though I used a press, this could certainly be done with a vice at home. With the press, I didn't even need to use a handle on the hydraulic pump so it doesn't require that much force.
Back to top Go down
chitown_riv98
Fanatic

Name : Ruben
Merit : 4

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Ported Blower vs. Gen V?   FAQ: Ported Blower vs. Gen V? - Page 4 EmptyTue Sep 01, 2015 3:28 pm

I ported the blower outlet to that triangle shape with a jigsaw and a dremel. Also a few different files helped to smooth down the surface. I had pictures on my old tablet but unfortunately were lost. Real noticeable up at about 60 when wot is hit.
Back to top Go down
gojo83

Name : Greg
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Ported Blower vs. Gen V?   FAQ: Ported Blower vs. Gen V? - Page 4 EmptyTue Sep 15, 2015 2:06 pm

The ported blower is a nice mod for a driver car that you just want a little more pep out of the gen v has a better casting look and goes better on a show car
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Ported Blower vs. Gen V?   FAQ: Ported Blower vs. Gen V? - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

FAQ: Ported Blower vs. Gen V?
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4