Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

car tag

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Stealth96
Rookie

Name : Kyle
Merit : 0

car tag Empty
PostSubject: car tag   car tag EmptyFri Sep 10, 2010 2:46 pm

so, after having a few months to play with my new toy (good old sn95 5.0L) i've vastly improved my knowledge upon N/A motors, and how to make them a little quicker.
Right now my GT should run around a high 12 low 13 with an 87 oct 'tune' and i plan to go the wa of afr 165 heads, i should be pullin wheelies.
but BEFORE i do that, i would reallllllly like it if the grocery getter could keep pace.
question is, without a lower pulley (which i know would be easier) what are my best options to build it quicker, N/A
what is a time tested reliable, lets say, valvetrain/cam, headers/heads
i would forge the bottom end regardless of what i plan on doing.
the motor is actually a 2000gtp's and the tranny was rebuilt, but i dont know if they updated any ecu/pcm.
sorry for the loaded question, i just dont want to lose my interest in the two ton car that still outruns my buddies 88 300zx.
its always fun to go from one RWD fast car to a equally as fast FWD car (with subs yay )
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

car tag Empty
PostSubject: Re: car tag   car tag EmptyFri Sep 10, 2010 3:46 pm

If I'm not mistaken, the bottom end is already forged....at least the S/C motor is. The one main difference between the N/A and the S/C motor is the compression ratio. The N/A motor has a higher compression. There are quite a few Intake and Head mods you can do to the N/A to make it move pretty good.

The below link is for an UIM that claims 30 bolt-on hp.
http://www.zzperformance.com/grand_prix/products1.php?id=214&catid=113

A good intake/exhaust setup, along with a good tune could net you an extra 30-50hp easy.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 251

car tag Empty
PostSubject: Re: car tag   car tag EmptyFri Sep 10, 2010 3:56 pm

I've heard the stock bottom is sturdy to 1000 HP.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
Stealth96
Rookie

car tag Empty
PostSubject: Re: car tag   car tag EmptySat Sep 11, 2010 6:44 pm

my only concern is that my original motor threw a rod through the block, so i guess for my peace of mind i would spend more cash.

that intake looks nice, now if only i could find such a bang for the buck for the L67 smile
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

car tag Empty
PostSubject: Re: car tag   car tag EmptySun Sep 12, 2010 1:38 pm

Now I'm confused. I thought you were asking about making the N/A motor faster? Now you mention the L67.......
Back to top Go down
Stealth96
Rookie

car tag Empty
PostSubject: Re: car tag   car tag EmptySun Sep 12, 2010 6:39 pm

sorry for the confusion, i have an L67, but i want to beef it up without messing with the pulleys/super....yet.
i suppose it can be considered building the motor to withstand better boost, but in reality, i just like teching on my motors, and boost is an overly effective way to gain horsepower (which is good, but i want a through and through moderatly nice motor.)
again, it's all a quest to make sure that my cars stay on...a kind of same level. you know?

i have a 94 cavalier as well, and its just a plain dog, so it's not like i need a llttle commuter car. smile
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

car tag Empty
PostSubject: Re: car tag   car tag EmptySun Sep 12, 2010 7:13 pm

Thanks for the clarification. That being said........

Upping the boost in your engine, if done the right way, increases the hp and torque dramatically. The bottom end of these engines is solid as a rock. Almost all of the fast 3800's I know of have totally stock bottom ends. A good CAI, a 3" DP, AL104 plugs, 3.4" pulley (the "conservatives" are going to tell you 3.5" or 3.6"), 180* T-stat, and a good tune is more than enough to get that "grocery getter" flyin.

Adding boost to the stock bottom end isn't going to hurt a thing, unless you try adding too much (without the supporting mods). There is no need to change anything in the lower end unless your planning on making 800hp. Besides, you're going to spend a lot of $$$ changing anything in the internals to make horsepower. This engine, when done right, loves boost. Don't be afraid to change the pulley.....The parts I mentioned above are nothing but a starting point to build boost, and cost less than $500 wink
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

car tag Empty
PostSubject: Re: car tag   car tag EmptySun Sep 12, 2010 9:42 pm

Stealth96 wrote:
my only concern is that my original motor threw a rod through the block, so i guess for my peace of mind i would spend more cash.

that intake looks nice, now if only i could find such a bang for the buck for the L67 smile

That's rare, I know many many 3800s with stock high milage lower ends pushing 12 second GTPs with frequent racing. Rarely do they have lower end problems even at those levels.
Back to top Go down
Stealth96
Rookie

car tag Empty
PostSubject: Re: car tag   car tag EmptyTue Sep 14, 2010 1:38 am

thats good, i've always heard these motors were extremely reliable and strong, but like i said, after $2400 and loads of frustration, you can imagine my...insecuritys smile
money isnt an issue, uncle same treats his soldiers well now a days smile
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

car tag Empty
PostSubject: Re: car tag   car tag EmptyTue Sep 14, 2010 3:14 am

Stealth96 wrote:

the motor is actually a 2000gtp's and the tranny was rebuilt, but i dont know if they updated any ecu/pcm.
The PCM would have to have been changed and more than likely someone capable of doing that job probably had software for the PCM to enhance a few things.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

car tag Empty
PostSubject: Re: car tag   car tag Empty

Back to top Go down

car tag
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Riv Performance ::   Supercharged 3800 Tech :: Series II Engine & Transmission-
Jump to: