Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

OBD II to USB

Go down 
+8
Natesriv
albertj
chrldo
nigelf
robotennis61
deekster_caddy
Mr.Riviera
Rickw
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

OBD II to USB Empty
PostSubject: OBD II Cable   OBD II to USB EmptyFri Jan 08, 2010 12:24 pm

I usually have access to the latest and greatest Snap-On scanner with data logging, etc.
Well my buddy closed the shop for the month of January and went to Costa-Rica.
Business was just too slow for him.

I've been thinking of trying Alex Peper's software and dongle for my laptop. Will be able to scan and data-log myself and have the records to compare. His software can be downloaded from www.obd-2.com/.
Alex's software and hardware is about $130.00 IIRC.
The software can actually be downloaded for free to see if it's compatible with my laptop (Is not supposed to work on 64 bit systems) I will find out by downloading, if it downloads OK, then I'll order the rest of his stuff for the GM. Which just consists of the proper cable needed to hook it up to the ALDL. I don't know if there is anything special installed in his cable that allows it to work though.? Otherwise a cable can be had for much less.
If anyone knows if a proper OBD2 cable can be purchased from www.obd2cables.com , then that would substantially decrease the price. Free software and about a $20.00 cable.?

Last edited by Rickw on Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:08 pm; edited 8 times in total
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

OBD II to USB Empty
PostSubject: Re: OBD II to USB   OBD II to USB EmptyFri Jan 08, 2010 2:23 pm

Rickw wrote:

I've been thinking of trying Alex Peper's software and dongle for my laptop. Will be able to scan and data-log myself and have the records to compare. His software can be downloaded from www.obd-2.com/.
Alex's software and hardware is about $130.00 IIRC.
The software can actually be downloaded for free to see if it's compatible with my laptop (Is not supposed to work on 64 bit systems) I will find out by downloading, if it downloads OK, then I'll order the rest of his stuff for the GM. Which just consists of the proper cable needed to hook it up to the ALDL. I don't know if there is anything special installed in his cable that allows it to work though.? Otherwise a cable can be had for much less.
If anyone knows if a proper OBD2 cable can be purchased from www.obd2cables.com , then that would substantially decrease the price. Free software and about a $20.00 cable.?

Anybody have any knowledge on the OBD2 cable needed for proper hook up.
Do I have to buy the one from Alex Peper or can I buy one from OBD2Cables.com.?
Anybody know.?
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

OBD II to USB Empty
PostSubject: Re: OBD II to USB   OBD II to USB EmptyFri Jan 08, 2010 4:15 pm

dont know much about making your own OBD2 scanner, but i'll share what i do know.
i have the auterra scan tool with pda hookup. i'm also well versed in the powrtuner.
from what i am gathering of all the scanners, they all have the same plug, like those sold on obd2cables.com. what makes them different is the software and the "converter box". with the dhp, all you need is some way to go from car to usb, then the software does the rest.
with my auterra i have a little box inline with the cables to covert the pinouts from the car into something readable for pc's and pda's then i also have software on the pda to display the data.

Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

OBD II to USB Empty
PostSubject: Re: OBD II to USB   OBD II to USB EmptyFri Jan 08, 2010 4:28 pm

Matt,
Could you do me a favor and take a look at what Alex Peper's site has to say. (He did the site himself and apparently he is the OBD genius, so it can be hard to decipher the first time around. He worked with the EPA and SAE to come up with the OBD protocol)

And then if you could just take a look at OBD2cables.com for me, as they have every cable imaginable. I think I just need a ALDL (OBD2) on one end and either a USB or Serial plug on the other end to connect to the computer, preferably a USB, I think. The problem I have is they have different technical names, stuff I'm not familiar with.
Alex Peper offer's what he simply calls an OBD2 to USB cable. I am just wondering why it's over $100.00 dollars if it really is just a simple cable that can be purchased through OBD2cables for a lot less.
Alex's software is free. This is comprehensive scanning software, not tuning software.
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

OBD II to USB Empty
PostSubject: Re: OBD II to USB   OBD II to USB EmptyFri Jan 08, 2010 4:40 pm

i dont see a obd2 to usb cable on the site, most of the ones are either extensions for use with other cables or converter cables for audi/MB/german cars.

alex peper defiantly knows his stuff and his software has been around for some time now. i dont see any reason his software wouldnt work with almost any cable that goes from obd2-pc.
as for his prices on cables, remember his software if free he has to make the money somewhere. and $100 isnt that bad for a scan tool.
do you have a part number or link for the cable you were specificaly looking at on obd2cables.com?

Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

OBD II to USB Empty
PostSubject: Re: OBD II to USB   OBD II to USB EmptyFri Jan 08, 2010 4:52 pm

No, I don't.
#1: My biggest concern was did Alex Peper's cables have something embedded in them that was unique to his cables and software and that was necessary.
#2: When looking at the OBDCables.com site I need some help in determining what cable will hook up to the OBD2 ALDL port and then to the computer. They use terminology I'm not familiar with, so I just want to purchase what will work, Or I will just buy Alex's stuff to be sure.
But I would like to save some money right now as I'm near broke after the holiday's.
But I have a problem with the car that needs analyzing
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

OBD II to USB Empty
PostSubject: Re: OBD II to USB   OBD II to USB EmptyFri Jan 08, 2010 5:10 pm

if your laptop still has the old serial connection you can try the
J1962M to DB9 cables (not sure if you need male or female, but they have both)
that is the only one i see that may work.
note that their site says "cables to be used with - http://www.scantool.net/scan-tools/pc-based/ "
i think you will need the adapty that scantools.net sells for $99 to make it work.

you are probably better of just biting the bullet and getting alex pepers cable and software so you know it works and dont keep spending $10 here and there trying to piece it all together only to find you need a $100 adapter.

Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

OBD II to USB Empty
PostSubject: Re: OBD II to USB   OBD II to USB EmptyFri Jan 08, 2010 5:14 pm

Thanks a lot for looking into this for me.
That's exactly what I needed to hear, I was trying to save money but i also didn't want to nickle and dime myself to death only to find what I have purchased won't work.
I will order everything from Alex Peper and be done with it.
Thanks again for your time and analysis. I truly appreciate it. I am semi-clueless when it comes to these things.
I will order the USB cable from Peper with the software.
Rick

Last edited by Rickw on Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

OBD II to USB Empty
PostSubject: Re: OBD II to USB   OBD II to USB EmptyFri Jan 08, 2010 5:17 pm

no problem Rick.

Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

OBD II to USB Empty
PostSubject: Re: OBD II to USB   OBD II to USB EmptyFri Jan 08, 2010 8:54 pm

Rick keep your eyes open for deals. I just picked up a used autotap w/ GM enhanced parameters for $100.
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

OBD II to USB Empty
PostSubject: Re: OBD II to USB   OBD II to USB EmptyFri Jan 08, 2010 9:07 pm

there is a aeroforce for sale on clupgp for 140shipped. a very nice scanner btw.

Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

OBD II to USB Empty
PostSubject: Re: OBD II to USB   OBD II to USB EmptyFri Jan 08, 2010 9:20 pm

i just got in a actron scanner after sending the first one i got that was defective. my car sez obd1 but the plug in is obd2...hope it works
Back to top Go down
nigelf
Enthusiast
nigelf

Name : Nigel
Merit : 20

OBD II to USB Empty
PostSubject: Re: OBD II to USB   OBD II to USB EmptyFri Jan 08, 2010 9:47 pm

actron work fine..as long as you have the correct connector .. its the scanner i have (for my 95) there is an OBDII connector which actualy runs ALDL 96 onwards uses the OBDII connector

Nigel
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

OBD II to USB Empty
PostSubject: Re: OBD II to USB   OBD II to USB EmptySun Jan 10, 2010 9:38 am

robotennis61 wrote:
i just got in a actron scanner after sending the first one i got that was defective. my car sez obd1 but the plug in is obd2...hope it works

nigelf wrote:
actron work fine..as long as you have the correct connector .. its the scanner i have (for my 95) there is an OBDII connector which actualy runs ALDL 96 onwards uses the OBDII connector

Nigel

Keep in mind the S/C 95 is a Series I and uses OBD 1.5, which does not use OBDI or OBDII.

robo let us know if it works. Based on past information I don't think it will.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

OBD II to USB Empty
PostSubject: Re: OBD II to USB   OBD II to USB EmptyTue Jan 19, 2010 7:05 pm

deekster_caddy wrote:
Rick keep your eyes open for deals. I just picked up a used autotap w/ GM enhanced parameters for $100.
Are you interested in selling it for a profit.?
Especially if your buying the new software. HPT
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

OBD II to USB Empty
PostSubject: Re: OBD II to USB   OBD II to USB EmptyTue Jan 19, 2010 7:27 pm

Rickw wrote:
deekster_caddy wrote:
Are you interested in selling it for a profit.?
Especially if your buying the new software. HPT

Yep. Haven't got around to listing yet.
Back to top Go down
chrldo
Special
chrldo

Name : CHRLDO
Merit : 0

OBD II to USB Empty
PostSubject: Re: OBD II to USB   OBD II to USB EmptyThu Jan 21, 2010 8:01 am

can you guys give me info to hook up with Alex Peper's site?
Back to top Go down
nigelf
Enthusiast
nigelf

Name : Nigel
Merit : 20

OBD II to USB Empty
PostSubject: Re: OBD II to USB   OBD II to USB EmptyThu Jan 21, 2010 8:24 am

how about here.....

http://www.google.com/search?q=Alex+Peper%27s+site&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=com.ubuntu:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Nigel
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

OBD II to USB Empty
PostSubject: Re: OBD II to USB   OBD II to USB EmptyThu Jan 21, 2010 2:40 pm

chrldo wrote:
can you guys give me info to hook up with Alex Peper's site?

http://www.obd-2.com

Albertj
Back to top Go down
chrldo
Special
chrldo

Name : CHRLDO
Merit : 0

OBD II to USB Empty
PostSubject: Re: OBD II to USB   OBD II to USB EmptyThu Jan 21, 2010 9:20 pm

hey Nigel and Albertj thank you!
Back to top Go down
Natesriv
Addict
Natesriv

Name : Nate
Merit : 16

OBD II to USB Empty
PostSubject: OBD II to USB   OBD II to USB EmptyFri Sep 10, 2010 6:00 pm

Anyone have this "tool' or ever tried it.

I've got a program on my notebook which should read the OBD II info and other stuff (temps, pressures, etc..) and I want to check it ou. I need a GM OBD II to USB connector... I THINK

Anyone hook their laptop to their Riv?? Am I missing a part I'd need besides an OBD II to USB connection cable?
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

OBD II to USB Empty
PostSubject: Re: OBD II to USB   OBD II to USB EmptyFri Sep 10, 2010 6:16 pm

I use Alex Peper's "Car Code" (www.obd-2.com) with a dongle he built. It has a serial output that works with a serial-to-USB converter (actually, any OBD-2 -> Serial dongle should work with with an USB converter attached, as long as you have the software to read the serialized output).

Albert
Back to top Go down
Natesriv
Addict
Natesriv

Name : Nate
Merit : 16

OBD II to USB Empty
PostSubject: Re: OBD II to USB   OBD II to USB EmptyFri Sep 10, 2010 6:59 pm

man that's a COMPLEX webpage!
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

OBD II to USB Empty
PostSubject: Re: OBD II to USB   OBD II to USB EmptySat Sep 11, 2010 6:35 pm

Nate,
I thought the same thing at first.
But you just have to read through it a few times and it becomes sensible.
He clearly did the page himself and being a genius didn't know how to dumb it down for us mortals. But it is actually legible once you read and look for the info you need and ignore the other stuff.
Bottom line is, the OBDII protocol can be involved or simple, depends how much you want to get out of it.
I would rather buy a comprehensive program that allows me to pick out what I want to learn and then progress without having to keep buying more modules, if you will.
Back to top Go down
GMFreak8
Addict
GMFreak8

Name : Kyle
Merit : 15

OBD II to USB Empty
PostSubject: Re: OBD II to USB   OBD II to USB EmptyTue Oct 12, 2010 12:52 pm

You can get a bluetooth OBDII dongle that plugs into your OBDII diagnostic port and allows you to use a computer, or in my case an android phone. Shows all sorts of information, and all you need is a smartphone, or bluetooth enabled laptop. You can customize the display to show anything, and it also lets you reset any codes the car throws and also find out exactly what the code means. Program I use costs $5 and the dongle was $25 off of ebay. Can't go wrong.

Here's a screen shot of mine:

OBD II to USB 82056957
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

OBD II to USB Empty
PostSubject: Re: OBD II to USB   OBD II to USB Empty

Back to top Go down

OBD II to USB
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Riv Performance ::   Supercharged 3800 Tech :: Series II Scans, Tuning, PCM-
Jump to: