Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Aligning my headlights

Go down 
+3
AA
Rickw
Buapo
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Buapo
Addict
Buapo

Name : Ben
Merit : 2

Aligning my headlights Empty
PostSubject: Aligning my headlights   Aligning my headlights EmptyFri Oct 15, 2010 1:16 am

I've never done this procedure before, but it seems that there are THREE alignment posts. A tiny one, and two larger ones.

My left headlight seems to have the beam aimed directly at the ground, but my right seems fine. Taking a closer look, I noticed that the left headlight's inside looked like a broken mirror, while the right side is fine.

Is the "broken mirror effect" causing my headlight to have a problem, or should it still be similar to the right side? Can this be fixed by aligning the bulbs?

Also, what does each alignment post do? If there's already a thread on this, then please direct me. The search function didn't really lead me to an acceptable answer.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: Aligning my headlights   Aligning my headlights EmptyFri Oct 15, 2010 10:00 am

The procedure is in the FSM and may be mentioned in the Owners Manual as well, Although I can't be sure about the Owner's Manual.
I don't have either here at the moment, but your FSM has the best info.
When you say your left Headlight looks like a broken mirror on the inside and the right side does not, tells me there is something wrong with the internal reflector on the left one and you'll probably have to replace it to get the headlight beam to shine properly on the road.
I've never had to adjust mine as they don't go out of adjustment on there own.
The only thing's I can think of that would affect the light trajectory would be the lens itself being bad or you have lifted the rear if the car higher than the spec's call out for and that will cause the beam to be pointing too low.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Aligning my headlights   Aligning my headlights EmptyFri Oct 15, 2010 10:06 am

If your lens is broken, I'd try replacing it without adjusting the alignment settings (if you can). Maybe it will be close to correct alignment when the new lens is installed.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: Aligning my headlights   Aligning my headlights EmptyFri Oct 15, 2010 11:21 am

you can do an online search for the procedure or you can,i think,park 10 feet from a wall on level ground and put tape at roughly the same height as the headlights and adjust the headlights to the tape level.play around with the adjustments too so you can see what the "A tiny one, and two larger ones." do. aiming the headlights on the riv is a snap.they have that built in level that makes it super easy.and adjusting the "sweep" is easy too.

Back to top Go down
GMFreak8
Addict
GMFreak8

Name : Kyle
Merit : 15

PostSubject: Re: Aligning my headlights   Aligning my headlights EmptyFri Oct 15, 2010 6:20 pm

robotennis61 wrote:
you can do an online search for the procedure or you can,i think,park 10 feet from a wall on level ground and put tape at roughly the same height as the headlights and adjust the headlights to the tape level.play around with the adjustments too so you can see what the "A tiny one, and two larger ones." do. aiming the headlights on the riv is a snap.they have that built in level that makes it super easy.and adjusting the "sweep" is easy too.

Except for when the bubbles apparently leak and dry up. Both my headlight bubble levels are nothing but decorations now. frown
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: Aligning my headlights   Aligning my headlights EmptyFri Oct 15, 2010 6:24 pm

dat sux
Back to top Go down
Buapo
Addict
Buapo

PostSubject: Re: Aligning my headlights   Aligning my headlights EmptyFri Oct 15, 2010 10:42 pm

Thanks for all the replies, fellas!

I'm thinking the damaged internal reflector is what's causing it not to work properly. How much is a replacement one of these? Do I have to replace the entire headlight assembly?

I'm going to mess around some more with adjusting the headlights, but my "leveling bubbles" are also dried up as well.

I discovered that you can buy Silverstar Ultras on eBay for just about half price, so I ordered some, then realized that my left headlight is basically useless right now. Luckily one bulb does the job, but I still would like both to give me some nice visibility. The high-beams are both perfect, though.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Aligning my headlights   Aligning my headlights EmptyFri Oct 15, 2010 10:56 pm

Buapo wrote:
Thanks for all the replies, fellas!

I'm thinking the damaged internal reflector is what's causing it not to work properly. How much is a replacement one of these? Do I have to replace the entire headlight assembly?

I'm going to mess around some more with adjusting the headlights, but my "leveling bubbles" are also dried up as well.

I discovered that you can buy Silverstar Ultras on eBay for just about half price, so I ordered some, then realized that my left headlight is basically useless right now. Luckily one bulb does the job, but I still would like both to give me some nice visibility. The high-beams are both perfect, though.

damaged reflector = get a good used headlight form Morad or elsewhere. Headlights are $$$ new.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Name : Mark
Merit : 104

PostSubject: Re: Aligning my headlights   Aligning my headlights EmptyFri Oct 15, 2010 11:46 pm

So Ben, you've come crawling back... jump

Anyway, the 2 large adjusters are the ones that actually move the headlamp unit.
The 'tiny' one is the factory calibration of the bubble-levelers... which dry up on us anyway. headbutt

As far as replacing the unit if the internals are indeed messed up, you may well want to try a wrecking yard, since they don't have the same crappy plastic lenses that the cornering lights do. I paid about $150 for a new OEM assy before GM started discontinuing parts at the 10-year mark... Also, as far as bulbs, you may want to look at the chart I made in the same writeup where I replaced my driver's side headlamp assy:
Link

(PS - As long as you're logging back in, how about reading my reply to your last PM that I sent you... poke )
Back to top Go down
Buapo
Addict
Buapo

PostSubject: Re: Aligning my headlights   Aligning my headlights EmptySat Oct 16, 2010 5:06 pm

I'll try Morads and see if I can get a nice used headlight assembly.

Eldo - just read your headlamp study... wow! No wonder my headlamps keep burning out. I think after this set of Silverstars go, I'm going to try your Philips brand for sure.

And... I think I'll read and reply to your PM now. Sorry about that!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Aligning my headlights   Aligning my headlights Empty

Back to top Go down

Aligning my headlights
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Riv Performance ::   General Tech :: Exterior-
Jump to: