Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Write-Up: Custom Rear Adjustment Links

Go down 
+19
matt270avian
Sir Psycho Sexy
charlieRobinson
al_roethlisberger
Mr.Riviera
Z-type
joshuadalegrimes
flyineagle96
stan
sniperdude
Jason
turtleman
AA
Derek
Abaddon
BMD
robotennis61
23 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

Name : Matt
Merit : 54

Write-Up: Custom Rear Adjustment Links - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Custom Rear Adjustment Links   Write-Up: Custom Rear Adjustment Links - Page 4 EmptySat Dec 27, 2014 11:51 am

It's a bit of a struggle to read, but the concept is sound enough for us to use.
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Custom Rear Adjustment Links   Write-Up: Custom Rear Adjustment Links - Page 4 EmptyMon Dec 29, 2014 8:34 am

That trailing arm link you posted is for an arm that the Riv doesn't even have. We have Lower Control Arms in the rear, Grand Prixs don't. That's why it's called a "Trailing Arm".
Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Custom Rear Adjustment Links   Write-Up: Custom Rear Adjustment Links - Page 4 EmptyMon Dec 29, 2014 10:49 am

I know we don't have it, but shouldn't the idea be the same for us to use? The only foreseeable issue is the length, the trailing arms are probably shorter than the adjustment links.
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Custom Rear Adjustment Links   Write-Up: Custom Rear Adjustment Links - Page 4 EmptyMon Dec 29, 2014 11:04 am

matt270avian wrote:
I know we don't have it, but shouldn't the idea be the same for us to use? The only foreseeable issue is the length, the trailing arms are probably shorter than the adjustment links.

They are wayyyy shorter. They only go from where our LCM mounts at the body, then to the knuckle. So, literally only the length of the LCM.
Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Custom Rear Adjustment Links   Write-Up: Custom Rear Adjustment Links - Page 4 EmptyMon Dec 29, 2014 1:32 pm

So we couldn't just grab 2 of these (longer ones):

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/countylinereg%3B-adjustable-top-link-cat-1-extra-long

or

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/countylinereg%3B-adjustable-top-link-cat-2

Since they come with pretty much everything needed except the bolts?
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Custom Rear Adjustment Links   Write-Up: Custom Rear Adjustment Links - Page 4 EmptyMon Dec 29, 2014 2:03 pm

As long as bolt hole size and what-not is the same, I don't see why not. I just went out with a tape measure....it's roughly 23" from the center stud to the tie rod. The only problem I see with trying those is the angle that it will be at on the tie rod side. Our lateral arms have a bend in them to fix the angle problem. If the angle/travel of that ball socket isn't enough, the rear toe would go extreme negative with extended suspension travel upwards. Like going over a hump.
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

Merit : 105

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Custom Rear Adjustment Links   Write-Up: Custom Rear Adjustment Links - Page 4 EmptyFri Aug 13, 2021 11:22 am

Write-Up: Custom Rear Adjustment Links - Page 4 Torn-link-boot

I've developed an occasional clunk in the rear. I jacked up the rear and couldn't find any obvious culprits, other than these end links. Everything feels tight and I can't reproduce the clunk by shaking stuff.

So these end links are no longer available anywhere?

I'll PM Turtleman and see if he's willing to make a set of rods but it doesn't sound like it. Unfortunately, I can't ream or weld like robotennis61.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Custom Rear Adjustment Links   Write-Up: Custom Rear Adjustment Links - Page 4 EmptyFri Aug 13, 2021 11:45 am

Jack the R wrote:
Write-Up: Custom Rear Adjustment Links - Page 4 Torn-link-boot

I've developed an occasional clunk in the rear.  I jacked up the rear and couldn't find any obvious culprits, other than these end links.  Everything feels tight and I can't reproduce the clunk by shaking stuff.  

So these end links are no longer available anywhere?

I'll PM Turtleman and see if he's willing to make a set of rods but it doesn't sound like it.  Unfortunately, I can't ream or weld like robotennis61.

I think the rear arms with links are still available from rockauto...
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Custom Rear Adjustment Links   Write-Up: Custom Rear Adjustment Links - Page 4 EmptyFri Aug 13, 2021 2:07 pm

I wouldn't have thought to look for them under "control arm."

There's "Genuine GM," that doesn't have the end link, for $156 and $164 dollars.

Then there's Dorman for $25 each - Link

Then there's Mevotech for $24, with a different design end link.  I don't know how this is supposed to work - Link

Turtleman's looking into it though so perhaps that's the route I'll go with.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Custom Rear Adjustment Links   Write-Up: Custom Rear Adjustment Links - Page 4 EmptyFri Aug 13, 2021 9:22 pm

The Mevotech link is maybe a mistake on RockAuto's part, I think it's the style used on the later G- and H- body GMs (Lucerne). I'd ignore it. I bet the Dormans are fine.
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Custom Rear Adjustment Links   Write-Up: Custom Rear Adjustment Links - Page 4 EmptyWed Sep 01, 2021 1:39 am

I got the Dorman's in today, interestingly enough they are a one piece design, with no adjustability at the end link. Given all the horror stories of aligment techs breaking the end links, I think the Dorman may be an "improved" design. It looks a little beefier than the GM part. It's wider, but I haven't compared the depth yet. I think this is the reason why we can't get the original GM part anymore - it's a bad design and this is the upgraded replacement design.
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Custom Rear Adjustment Links   Write-Up: Custom Rear Adjustment Links - Page 4 EmptySat Sep 04, 2021 2:02 pm

I'm getting ready to put the new adjustment links on. I'm going to have to set the toe to a base useable amount so I can take it to an alignment shop. Is there a special tool for getting at the head of the cam bolts? It's too tight for a regular socket wrench.
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Custom Rear Adjustment Links   Write-Up: Custom Rear Adjustment Links - Page 4 EmptySat Sep 04, 2021 11:55 pm

Write-Up: Custom Rear Adjustment Links - Page 4 New-link-boot

New links are almost on. The FSM says to tighten this nut down to 88 ft/lbs, then half a turn, but the amount of squash in the boot is alarming me already, and the nut hasn't begun to tighten up yet. Does this seem right?
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

Name : Larry
Merit : 149

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Custom Rear Adjustment Links   Write-Up: Custom Rear Adjustment Links - Page 4 EmptySun Sep 05, 2021 4:02 pm

Being this is a non stock part, I think stock torque specs go right out the window. Tighten it down so there is no play and call it done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHCda-t_Jls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfT2tEO4XcU
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Custom Rear Adjustment Links   Write-Up: Custom Rear Adjustment Links - Page 4 EmptySun Sep 05, 2021 7:09 pm

Here's what the Dorman looks like when it hasn't been cinched down -

Write-Up: Custom Rear Adjustment Links - Page 4 Dorman-install-01

I started cranking down on the driver's side and noticed that the nut was spinning the ball joint instead of screwing onto the threads.  The tip of the ball joint has a hex head, so I was able to put a socket on that and tighten the nut down with an adjustable wrench.  I didn't have this problem with the passenger side.

I tightened the driver's side until the boot began to deform -

Write-Up: Custom Rear Adjustment Links - Page 4 Dorman-install-03

I would have liked to have had at least one thread visible under the nut, but this is where it's at -

Write-Up: Custom Rear Adjustment Links - Page 4 Dorman-install-02

This appears to be a lock nut.   I doubt it will back off, and if it does I imagine I'll get a few clunks of warning before it comes off.  I'm not too worried, but I'm not happy either.

I backed the passenger side off, and here's where it is now -

Write-Up: Custom Rear Adjustment Links - Page 4 Dorman-install-04

I don't like the way it's deformed.  Maybe I should knock the link out and try to fix it, but I may have to drop the back of the suspension support to get the link back in the control arm again.  

Anyway, I carefully marked the positions of the cam bolts before removing them, and put them back into the same place -

Write-Up: Custom Rear Adjustment Links - Page 4 Dorman-install-05

The Dormans may have been ever-so-slightly longer than the length the stock adjustment links were set at.  Say, a 1/16" or so.  I may have a little more toe-in now, but I'm hoping it will be the same amount of toe-in on each side.  This adjustment can't be too exacting at any rate, given the way the suspension support floats around on those rubber bushings.  Robotennis was right, the toe is going to constantly be changing as the car goes down the road.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Custom Rear Adjustment Links   Write-Up: Custom Rear Adjustment Links - Page 4 EmptyMon Sep 06, 2021 10:13 am

...Robotennis has a visceral practical understanding of suspension geometry and operation. It's uncanny.
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Custom Rear Adjustment Links   Write-Up: Custom Rear Adjustment Links - Page 4 EmptyMon Sep 06, 2021 12:21 pm

That's what happens when you do things instead of just talking about it.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Custom Rear Adjustment Links   Write-Up: Custom Rear Adjustment Links - Page 4 EmptyMon Sep 06, 2021 2:15 pm

Jack the R wrote:
That's what happens when you do things instead of just talking about it.  

I appreciate that he shares with us.
Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

Name : Codith
Merit : 140

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Custom Rear Adjustment Links   Write-Up: Custom Rear Adjustment Links - Page 4 EmptyMon Sep 06, 2021 2:44 pm

After a fair amount of miles put on the robo racecar adjustment link solution, I have no complaints about it really. I'm not running it on the new riv yet - stock stuff is still fine since that car's not rotting like the old one was, but i'd definitely go for it again. I would probably get fancy and get the aluminum heims though since i'm noticing the steel ones have lost their tightness anyway between the ball and the housing.
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Custom Rear Adjustment Links   Write-Up: Custom Rear Adjustment Links - Page 4 EmptyMon Sep 06, 2021 2:44 pm

Or did. I suspect he's moved on and his Riv has been crushed for a while now.
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

turtleman wrote:
After a fair amount of miles put on the robo racecar adjustment link solution, I have no complaints about it really. I'm not running it on the new riv yet - stock stuff is still fine since that car's not rotting like the old one was, but i'd definitely go for it again. I would probably get fancy and get the aluminum heims though since i'm noticing the steel ones have lost their tightness anyway between the ball and the housing.

How did it affect the ride?
Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Custom Rear Adjustment Links   Write-Up: Custom Rear Adjustment Links - Page 4 EmptyMon Sep 06, 2021 2:49 pm

I didn't notice any difference at all but as a disclaimer i don't think i'm too handling-conscious
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Custom Rear Adjustment Links   Write-Up: Custom Rear Adjustment Links - Page 4 EmptyMon Sep 06, 2021 3:20 pm

Why would you do it again if you can't tell the difference? Because it looks fancy? It does look fancy, I can't argue with that.
Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Custom Rear Adjustment Links   Write-Up: Custom Rear Adjustment Links - Page 4 EmptyMon Sep 06, 2021 3:43 pm

Jack the R wrote:
Why would you do it again if you can't tell the difference?  Because it looks fancy?  It does look fancy, I can't argue with that.

I do think it would make a difference if you get the solid control arm bushings and maybe solid or at least harder insulators for the rssa like robo did. But for me i just prefer it as a replacement option to the stock style. With a lot of these oem parts supplies dwindling, i'm inclined towards making very available universal parts work out.
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Custom Rear Adjustment Links   Write-Up: Custom Rear Adjustment Links - Page 4 EmptyMon Sep 06, 2021 4:30 pm

Is it possible to just replace the outer link with a spherical ball joint? The bushings in my stock inner adjustment links look like they're still good.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Custom Rear Adjustment Links   Write-Up: Custom Rear Adjustment Links - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Write-Up: Custom Rear Adjustment Links
Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next