Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Misfire #2 Cylinder Code 0302

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
98CincyRiv
Special
98CincyRiv

Name : Jerry
Merit : 0

Misfire #2 Cylinder Code 0302 Empty
PostSubject: Misfire #2 Cylinder Code 0302   Misfire #2 Cylinder Code 0302 EmptyWed Dec 22, 2010 1:50 pm

Hi all !
A little about the car. I got the car from my Mother at 58,000 miles who ordered the car herself
from the factory. The car was always garage kept. Oil changed every 2,000 miles, she's a freak,
in a good way.She would take it in and have a scan run on it just in case something wasent showing up.

Somehow the Engine Cradle was rusted out so, I had the whole cradle welded up. Rides and handles great.
The car as you know is a beast, it ran awesome. About 5,000 miles into driving the car the
belts blew off due to the Supercharger Pully blowing apart.
So, AFTER reading here on changing the belts and pullys, I did change them, and replaced the pullys.
The spacer is a BITCH let me say !
After I got it back up and running, Check Engine Light came on, and started bucking and shaking
like the old vapor lock would act. Ran a scan and got a code 0302 says it's a Misfire on # 2 Cylinder.
Thinking I would not waste time on it, I replaced the Plugs the Wires AND the Coil Pack for #2.
Though is does run a bit better, just as soon as I put a load on it the bucking and
shaking starts and the lights back on.
I have a code reader the reads and resets the codes, I know it's not the best scanner or
a pro scanner but, it is what I used. If I stay out of it the light never comes on and no bucking.
As soon as I get in the gas to pass or just playing, the light comes on and the bucking starts again.
And yeah I know, don't play or pass but remember, this is a V6 SCFI Riv, we have to. 3gears

Anyone have any ideas to help me get the Riv back to
the feared supercharged V6 beast it really is ?

PS: If they don't resize my pic I will remove it. For some reason it would not let me resize it.
I am still a newbie here but learing so, please don't bitch slap me here, I will remove it if it's too big.
Thank you all !
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Misfire #2 Cylinder Code 0302   Misfire #2 Cylinder Code 0302 EmptyWed Dec 22, 2010 2:09 pm

my guess is the supercharger belt took out one or more wires on the ignition module, maybe... when those pullies frag apart they send shrapnel all over the engine compartment, you'd be amazed what they can sever.

what to so:

- check the wires to the ignition module CAREFULLY for damage

- catch up on other maintenance, like cleaning the throttle body for instance

- do you have any reson t think that you may have an issue with fuel pump or fuel filter?

I am sure others will chime in.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: Misfire #2 Cylinder Code 0302   Misfire #2 Cylinder Code 0302 EmptyWed Dec 22, 2010 2:13 pm

#2 Injector is right there by the S/C pulley too......I'd be checking the fuel injector harness and the rail/injector.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 251

PostSubject: Re: Misfire #2 Cylinder Code 0302   Misfire #2 Cylinder Code 0302 EmptyWed Dec 22, 2010 2:24 pm

clap Congrats on the largest ever attempted signature image (click on OP's sig to view original). lol

Regarding your issue, I would have said wires for sure if you hadn't replaced them. What you're experiencing is exactly the symptom of a bad ignition wire under load (can't really tell a bad wire by inspecting it). What type of wires did you use for replacement? This could still be one of the other coils, even if the code is for cylinder 2. Try swapping your new coil with each of the other two.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Misfire #2 Cylinder Code 0302   Misfire #2 Cylinder Code 0302 EmptyWed Dec 22, 2010 3:02 pm

AA wrote:
clap Congrats on the largest ever attempted signature image (click on OP's sig to view original). lol

Regarding your issue, I would have said wires for sure if you hadn't replaced them. What you're experiencing is exactly the symptom of a bad ignition wire under load (can't really tell a bad wire by inspecting it). What type of wires did you use for replacement? This could still be one of the other coils, even if the code is for cylinder 2. Try swapping your new coil with each of the other two.

Good point about the wires. ACDelco, Taylor, and Magnecor wires are best, not for silly reasons but rather because the Riv has a high energy ignition system and if the wires are marginal new in any way it will blow them quickly. IF you put AutoZone (Valucraft), Bosch, Autolite or other wires on I'd reconsider or at least do some more troubleshooting.
Back to top Go down
98CincyRiv
Special
98CincyRiv

PostSubject: Re: Misfire #2 Cylinder Code 0302   Misfire #2 Cylinder Code 0302 EmptyWed Dec 22, 2010 6:46 pm

albertj,I had no clue it would make any difference as long as they wernt just cheapos so,
not knowing better yes I did go to autozone and got duralast wires.The $36.00 ones.
I just thought it kinda strange the same code would come up BUT,
there again as Aaron pointed out, it can. As far as the fuel filter or pump,
I really don't think so but, I'm saying not that I know of. I have run FI cleaner through it, last time about 1,000 miles ago.
I know that's not an end all to it but, it has to help, I guess.
As far as fuel injector harness and the rail/injector, there again, not that I'm aware of but, that is something to think about.
I don't know why really I know just enough to get myself in trouble about cars anymore but,
it feels like a wire or some sort of spark issue but,
That why I'm here with the guys in the know cuz, I don't.

Aaron Thank you man , thank you sure send um right on to my blunder,
that's just not right man hahahaa.You crack me up.
But hey, sure looks good that big ! And sorry too. bow
Looks better now. I guess you fixed me,still looks good too, thank you Aaron ! Man Newbie's huh.

Nice idea! I am going to swap out the packs and see what happens.
Now I'm freaking out a bit about the wires but, I guess that might not be it but as you said, could be.
I shall let ya know when I get it done.

NOW another question on this. I mis-spoke before.
I did replace the Idl. Pully for the supercharger only " so far ".
Autozone, I know okay hahaaa.. Anyway, they had a 3" and a 3 1/2" me being me and not knowing the difference got the 3".
Now as I said I did replace the belts both at the same time of course. They have the number and name deal stamped on them in color,
hush yeah duralast belts but, the main belt letters and numbers look brand new. The one on the supercharger looks like it's rubbing off.
I'm not the sharpest tool but, I'm guessing that means the belts slipping right !?
Now, a shortcut maybe here, did I maybe get the wrong pully ? I am guessin again that if it's bigger it wont slip.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Misfire #2 Cylinder Code 0302   Misfire #2 Cylinder Code 0302 EmptyWed Dec 22, 2010 8:27 pm

And oh by the way - the GM OE coils are high output units. It's a good bet that a coil you pull from a junkyard GM car with the same engine/engine managment will be working fine (people don't junk their cars over coils). That would be buick park ave/pontiac bonneville/buick regal with the supercharged 3800 engine.

As for the FI cleaner... it's interesting maintenance but usually ineffective repair.

By the way do you have any oil in the coolant?

Albertj
Back to top Go down
98CincyRiv
Special
98CincyRiv

PostSubject: Re: Misfire #2 Cylinder Code 0302   Misfire #2 Cylinder Code 0302 EmptyMon Dec 27, 2010 1:37 pm

Okay just an update. Hope you all had a great Christmas / Honica ect...
I switched all the coils around to each spot and really never saw any change.
I did see a change when I got the 3.5" Smooth Tensioner Pully #3 put on. It still feels like it's slipping or missing, ( I ) can't tell which. My Tensioner adjustment looks dead on now, the knotch lines up just inside between the first and second lines, just like the pix I've seen here.
Also, after two tanks of 93 octain with injector cleaner added, it seems to run a bit better but, still when I hit it, it stumbles and the lights back on and runns rough until I reset the code.
Back to top Go down
L67
Aficionado

Name : Matt
Merit : 37

PostSubject: Re: Misfire #2 Cylinder Code 0302   Misfire #2 Cylinder Code 0302 EmptyMon Dec 27, 2010 3:42 pm

98CincyRiv wrote:
Okay just an update. Hope you all had a great Christmas / Honica ect...
I switched all the coils around to each spot and really never saw any change.
I did see a change when I got the 3.5" Smooth Tensioner Pully #3 put on. It still feels like it's slipping or missing, ( I ) can't tell which. My Tensioner adjustment looks dead on now, the knotch lines up just inside between the first and second lines, just like the pix I've seen here.
Also, after two tanks of 93 octain with injector cleaner added, it seems to run a bit better but, still when I hit it, it stumbles and the lights back on and runns rough until I reset the code.

Shot in the dark here, but I've been having a miss on my #2 cylinder (no SES light though), which turned out to be a leaking injector o-ring. Smell any gas?
Back to top Go down
98CincyRiv
Special
98CincyRiv

PostSubject: Re: Misfire #2 Cylinder Code 0302   Misfire #2 Cylinder Code 0302 EmptyMon Dec 27, 2010 7:14 pm

Good idea thanks I will pay good attention to that and see if I do smell anything but, I have had the hood up with it running standing there scratching my head and havent noticed any smell. But, I will check that.

I should also add just for info, the tach does not move or bounce around. At idle it sits at 800 steady.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Misfire #2 Cylinder Code 0302   Misfire #2 Cylinder Code 0302 EmptyThu Dec 30, 2010 8:33 am

bump...

Update? how's it going? find the problem yet?

Albertj
Back to top Go down
98CincyRiv
Special
98CincyRiv

PostSubject: Re: Misfire #2 Cylinder Code 0302   Misfire #2 Cylinder Code 0302 EmptyThu Dec 30, 2010 7:09 pm

Nope, no change and nothing found as of yet. I don't see or smell any gas at the rail or near it. Oil looks clean. I am going to stop by autozone and at least see what code they read though. It's normally a bit more than mine reads. Anyway, still the same really as my last update post sad to say.
Back to top Go down
L67
Aficionado

Name : Matt
Merit : 37

PostSubject: Re: Misfire #2 Cylinder Code 0302   Misfire #2 Cylinder Code 0302 EmptyThu Dec 30, 2010 8:57 pm

98CincyRiv wrote:
Nope, no change and nothing found as of yet. I don't see or smell any gas at the rail or near it. Oil looks clean. I am going to stop by autozone and at least see what code they read though. It's normally a bit more than mine reads. Anyway, still the same really as my last update post sad to say.

Did you check while it was running? I'm sure you would most likely see a pool if there was a leak, but i discovered mine due to an obvious misting at idle.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Misfire #2 Cylinder Code 0302   Misfire #2 Cylinder Code 0302 EmptyFri Dec 31, 2010 10:23 am

98CincyRiv wrote:

You might need to use a scanner (autotap, carcode) rather than a code reader to diagnose running problems. As you've learned the code tells you there's a misfire but does not really tell why.

#2 plug's not loose, is it?

Albertj
Back to top Go down
98CincyRiv
Special
98CincyRiv

PostSubject: Re: Misfire #2 Cylinder Code 0302   Misfire #2 Cylinder Code 0302 EmptyFri Dec 31, 2010 4:01 pm

Yep Albert I know I just might have to get a proper scan on it if I don't track this down, I agree, the only real reason I said that was just to see what codes they come up with. My wifes HHR CEL comes on when it feels like it and they come up with other ideas with their results so, really just a kinda back-up deal..Granted may not be it but, just another shot to check.
No I just rechecked and , no plugs are loose, no wires and I slipped the SC belt off and checked for play or noise and, no noise no play no slop at all.

Yes, I did check for leakes while it was running. I can't rev it and make the problem show up but, I did rev it quite a bit to check for leakes and see nor smell anything. BUT,

When checking the injectors I noticed this funny looking thing and it kinda looked like a mouse staring at me.
Well, it was a mouse but a very fried mouse so I'm thinking that stare was maybe just his WTF SHIT look at he was coming to understanding his ass was about to fry, just a thought.

As a foot note to that little deal. I did check really good to see if he had decided he was going to eat on anything and , I see nothing at all he messed with anyplace and I looked good.
He was found right where he is but tucked in next to the injector looking out...Must have been too warm smoke

.Misfire #2 Cylinder Code 0302 AmouseInMyRiv
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

PostSubject: Re: Misfire #2 Cylinder Code 0302   Misfire #2 Cylinder Code 0302 EmptyFri Dec 31, 2010 4:16 pm

LOL! Well, that being found, you need to check the Injector wires that are tucked behind that harness. The little taped pair that dives behind the harness in front of the Schrader valve is the Injector plug. Inspect those REAL good. Little mouse teeth can chew through chit with little evidence (I mentioned injector a long time ago dammit)! Even the slightest slice in one of those wires can cause the copper to turn green and corrode.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Misfire #2 Cylinder Code 0302   Misfire #2 Cylinder Code 0302 EmptyFri Dec 31, 2010 4:40 pm

Abaddon wrote:
LOL! Well, that being found, you need to check the Injector wires that are tucked behind that harness. The little taped pair that dives behind the harness in front of the Schrader valve is the Injector plug. Inspect those REAL good. Little mouse teeth can chew through chit with little evidence (I mentioned injector a long time ago dammit)! Even the slightest slice in one of those wires can cause the copper to turn green and corrode.

Glad I bumped this - looks like you may finally have found the problem. Although it was not the #2 plug per se.
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

PostSubject: Re: Misfire #2 Cylinder Code 0302   Misfire #2 Cylinder Code 0302 EmptyFri Dec 31, 2010 5:09 pm

Hell, it coulda been anything. It kinda funny that he found a totally toasted mouse though!
flame
Back to top Go down
98CincyRiv
Special
98CincyRiv

PostSubject: Re: Misfire #2 Cylinder Code 0302   Misfire #2 Cylinder Code 0302 EmptyFri Dec 31, 2010 5:24 pm

LOL ! That blows me away as many time as I've looked in there and not seen the little chit and, yeah that baby was toasted alright, chrispy little thing he is !

I did check everything all over just in case and, I really see nothing at all he messed with.
Seeing how I may be a bit blind after seeing this find, I will be rechecking that as well !

Oh well, I shall let you all know if I turn up any little teeth evidence after another recheck..
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

PostSubject: Re: Misfire #2 Cylinder Code 0302   Misfire #2 Cylinder Code 0302 EmptyFri Dec 31, 2010 6:36 pm

Yeah, just check it thoroughly. It may or may not be an Injector problem, but that lil guy sure makes it feasible. Check the connector, the wires, all the way around the fuel rail. Who knows where or what else may have gotten eaten. He could've eaten the #2 harness somewhere else....

If that mouse was the cuplrit, karma's a bitch lol Misfire #2 Cylinder Code 0302 Twak
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Misfire #2 Cylinder Code 0302   Misfire #2 Cylinder Code 0302 EmptyFri Dec 31, 2010 8:38 pm

98CincyRiv wrote:
LOL ! That blows me away as many time as I've looked in there and not seen the little chit and, yeah that baby was toasted alright, chrispy little thing he is !

I did check everything all over just in case and, I really see nothing at all he messed with.
Seeing how I may be a bit blind after seeing this find, I will be rechecking that as well !

Oh well, I shall let you all know if I turn up any little teeth evidence after another recheck..

you will need to pull off the wire loom (that black plastic) and look closely at the wires. it goes back on pretty easy and you local NAPA or CarQuest should have the different sizes as shop supplies (not necessarily on the sales floor).
Back to top Go down
98CincyRiv
Special
98CincyRiv

PostSubject: Re: Misfire #2 Cylinder Code 0302   Misfire #2 Cylinder Code 0302 EmptyWed Jan 12, 2011 1:31 pm

Sorry for the delay, it's cold , snowly, icy and I don't have a garage burrrr.

Anyway, I did look really good and still no signs of the little fried ones teeth marks show up anyplace.
I am thinking my next move might be to have to the fuel injectors checked and cleaned right.
I say this because, " I'm not crazy about this but, it is what it is ".
I stopped by autozone just to see what codes they came up with. Much to my supprise, they came up with, a misfire on #2 and that was it. They had some gunk all in one injector and so on cleaner on sale so I bought a bottle and put it in even though I only had a little over 1/2 tank, 93 octane and up only. After about 5 miles of , kicking it in and trying to get it started through the system. It started running a bit better then, even better and the CEL went off. I did have it back on by the time I got home but, that makes me wonder if maybe it is an injector !?
I'll have to get me a price on the job and get it done and , I'll get back and let everyone know what's up !
Thank you all so far for your help and input !
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Misfire #2 Cylinder Code 0302   Misfire #2 Cylinder Code 0302 EmptyWed Jan 12, 2011 3:13 pm

98CincyRiv wrote:
Sorry for the delay, it's cold , snowly, icy and I don't have a garage burrrr.

Anyway, I did look really good and still no signs of the little fried ones teeth marks show up anyplace.
I am thinking my next move might be to have to the fuel injectors checked and cleaned right.
I say this because, " I'm not crazy about this but, it is what it is ".
I stopped by autozone just to see what codes they came up with. Much to my supprise, they came up with, a misfire on #2 and that was it. They had some gunk all in one injector and so on cleaner on sale so I bought a bottle and put it in even though I only had a little over 1/2 tank, 93 octane and up only. After about 5 miles of , kicking it in and trying to get it started through the system. It started running a bit better then, even better and the CEL went off. I did have it back on by the time I got home but, that makes me wonder if maybe it is an injector !?
I'll have to get me a price on the job and get it done and , I'll get back and let everyone know what's up !
Thank you all so far for your help and input !

You are welcome

the injector is not pristine clean but you bought time (months) until you can swap 'em or get new. You could get a junkyard set, refurbish them then install.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Misfire #2 Cylinder Code 0302   Misfire #2 Cylinder Code 0302 Empty

Back to top Go down

Misfire #2 Cylinder Code 0302
Page 1 of 1