Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required)

Go down 
+18
bigdave
Johnny5
al_roethlisberger
simba510
T Riley
albertj
turtleman
nigelf
RidzRiv
charlieRobinson
Mr.Riviera
Eldo
AA
Jack the R
Abaddon
robotennis61
22 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required) Empty
PostSubject: Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required)   Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required) EmptyWed Dec 22, 2010 9:19 pm

GROUP BUY IS OVER.I'LL LEAVE THE INFO FOR ANYONE WHO MIGHT WANT TO TACKLE SUCH A PROJECT.

Read this:   Suspension modifications are done at your own risk. Any suspension ideas or mods involving cutting of the OEM suspension mounting points or fabricating and welding brackets or plates to a location other than OEM to customize the suspension travel or height is done at your own risk.If you run into problems its your own fault.
I play it by ear most of the time regarding mods and take my chances at the possibility of failure. I do my best to think things through but my ideas don't always come out as I expected.  Its my car and I will do with it as I see fit. If you do to yours you do it at your own risk.

Hello folks.
I found a "uni strut kit" availble in limited quantities(16 kits) this is a complete coil over strut kit that comes with adjuster wrenches,gland nuts(to keep the shock in place) adjuster spring nuts(not shown in kit pic) and weld on ears(tab that bolts to knuckle.  >>pic  Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required) DSCF4058  kit cost$200

This kit accepts many high performance cartridge inserts like,KONI,BILSTEIN and others. these inserts are adjustable for REBOUND and COMPRESSION. they start @ $280ea up to $319ea they come in many different lengths for stock height or lowered>>>picCustom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required) 8611...if you dont need a fully adjustable cartridge(why wouldnt you?) other less expensive cartridges are out there.

I spoke to the distributor and expressed interest in a bulk buy. He would consider this if enough buyers come forth. He has to speak to the powers that be..but he will come down in $.  he has 16 kits left.Once they are gone there will be no more. The unistrut kit is sold by others but much more. If anybody has any questions let me know or pm me.  This is an opportunity to step it up in the suspension dept and turn the riv into a real contender.
All that is needed to complete the set up are 2.5" springs and a caster/camber plate. The same supplier sells them for $100.All steel! say good buy to the everyday squishys!

Last edited by robotennis61 on Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:32 am; edited 8 times in total
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required)   Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required) EmptyWed Dec 22, 2010 10:26 pm

Damn. Sounds good. If someone wants to start a "Mod Abaddons suspension (more)" fund.....I'm in Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required) 570872
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

Merit : 105

PostSubject: Re: Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required)   Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required) EmptyWed Dec 22, 2010 10:57 pm

Abaddon wrote:
Damn. Sounds good. If someone wants to start a "Mod Abaddons suspension (more)" fund.....I'm in Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required) 570872

I'll fund your's halfway if you'll fund mine twice wink
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required)   Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required) EmptyWed Dec 22, 2010 11:10 pm

its a great set up. all you have to do is cut to the same length of the stocker,or an inch or 2 shorter if you want your riv lowered,and buy the cartridge that fits the cut length.screw on the gland nut(to hold the insert in place) and bolt back up and away you go! easy peasy nice and easy!

Last edited by robotennis61 on Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
DEMonte1997
Aficionado
DEMonte1997

Name : Rick
Merit : 37

PostSubject: Re: Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required)   Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required) EmptyThu Dec 23, 2010 12:41 am

Hmmmm coilovers for the Riv... I dunno man. This is so tempting but I'm actually overhauling the coilovers on the Regal now so the poor Riv has to take a back seat. frown
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required)   Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required) EmptyThu Dec 23, 2010 1:35 am

DEMonte1997 wrote:
Hmmmm coilovers for the Riv... I dunno man. This is so tempting but I'm actually overhauling the coilovers on the Regal now so the poor Riv has to take a back seat. frown

think about it dude...the more of us in it the better the price.i can give the guy an approximate and he can give us an idea how much less they might be. even if the guy drops 20 to 30% I'm happy. And remember,with this set up our choice of premium adjustable shocks is limitless. imagine being able to adjust rebound and compression like a true sports car! i hate the fact that the after market supports every tiny little buzz bomb that comes from Japan but we cant even find a decent pair of shocks for our riv! now we can. and these shocks are rebuildable! down the road when the shock needs new shims and what not,all we need is to unscrew them,re valve,fill to limit,pressurize,and good to go for another 100 thou miles! how cool is that? Need an extra set of ultra stiff shocks for that once year autocross course? NO problem! have a nice soft pair for the street,and an extra set for the track. you think the riv loves you now,wait till you give her a new set of heels

p.s our choice of springs is now wide open too! every top manufacture of spring makes coil over springs in 2.5". everything from 150lb springs to 500lb springs! the choice will be ours...AAARGGGHHH!!!!

Last edited by robotennis61 on Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required)   Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required) EmptyThu Dec 23, 2010 2:33 am

robotennis61 wrote:
its a great set up. all you have to do is cut to the same length of the stocker,or an inch or 2 shorter if you want your riv lowered,and buy the cartridge that fits the cut length,screw on the gland nut(to hold the insert in place) and bolt back up and away you go! easy peasy nice and easy!

Hmm can I call in that comic book support now? jump
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required)   Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required) EmptyThu Dec 23, 2010 2:55 am

Jack the R wrote:
robotennis61 wrote:
its a great set up. all you have to do is cut to the same length of the stocker,or an inch or 2 shorter if you want your riv lowered,and buy the cartridge that fits the cut length,screw on the gland nut(to hold the insert in place) and bolt back up and away you go! easy peasy nice and easy!

Hmm can I call in that comic book support now? jump

its interesting that you should ask. i chose your drawing and i got sent to someones elses comic
Back to top Go down

Name : Andrew
Merit : 123

PostSubject: Re: Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required)   Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required) EmptyThu Dec 23, 2010 12:55 pm

Ok, you sold me. If the limited available kits are around 200$, I'm in.
And if you can work out some kind of deal to save money when you get your 2.5" springs and caster/camber plates, I'll probably go in on that too.

I'll probably sit on the parts for a while though, till I can get to installing them.(of till you do a nice write-up with pics!) wink

Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required)   Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required) EmptyThu Dec 23, 2010 1:23 pm

Karma wrote:
Ok, you sold me. If the limited available kits are around 200$, I'm in.
And if you can work out some kind of deal to save money when you get your 2.5" springs and caster/camber plates, I'll probably go in on that too.

I'll probably sit on the parts for a while though, till I can get to installing them.(of till you do a nice write-up with pics!) wink

kool! i count at least 1 member. i need firepower when i approach the distributor.the more the merrier. BTW karma,as a machinist,you can see the beauty of the system ,no?

Last edited by robotennis61 on Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

PostSubject: Re: Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required)   Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required) EmptyThu Dec 23, 2010 1:36 pm

Dude. I want to sooo bad. I just can't right now. You had to find this shit at X-mas time!!!! gripe
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required)   Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required) EmptyThu Dec 23, 2010 1:38 pm

And I just bought a new set of KYBs for install in the spring. sad

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required)   Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required) EmptyThu Dec 23, 2010 1:52 pm

Abaddon wrote:
Dude. I want to sooo bad. I just can't right now. You had to find this shit at X-mas time!!!! gripe

save your receipts. depending on the interest,the guy might drop the price of the kit +springs+caster/camber plate to a price that really makes sense to buy...ill keep working on it and see what happens.

AA wrote:
And I just bought a new set of KYBs for install in the spring. sad

save your receipt? send em back!
and just think,no more buying new shocks. rebuild em your self,or send em out for $50 and get them revalved and renewed. still cheaper than buying new.
Back to top Go down

Name : Andrew
Merit : 123

PostSubject: Re: Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required)   Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required) EmptyThu Dec 23, 2010 6:11 pm

Come on guys! Whats 200$ but a couple of gas tank fills of 94 octane?('95 bigger gas tank FTW!, ugh, and now I remember that I'm feeding two rivs with hi-test...)
I see this as a once in a lifetime chance to get something for the riv that you will probably regret not buying later.

Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required)   Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required) EmptyThu Dec 23, 2010 7:11 pm

HERE!HERE! once they're gone,they're gone.
currently no one offers a set up like this. "Noltec" manufactures the kit but they sold the rights to "whiteline suspension" who has no plans to reproduce them. the kit originally costs over $350. my distributor bought the last sets. to have a set up like this done up by a machine shop would cost well over $500 or more!
For all those who wished there was something else besides grannys "KYB" struts, here it is. just requires some welding. we now have our choice of springs too! if youre not happy riding 2" lower,no problem.raise it back up! its that simple. all you have to do is measure what height you want,wether you want a 1" lower riv or 2" lowered riv, put the "ears" or "knuckle tabs" in the exact spot that the kybs are in,weld on. then once that's done,you cut the bottom off and weld in the bottom plug with the hole(this allows you to adjust rebound if you've gotten the konis) now you drop in the koni insert,screw down the "gland nut" with the big hole,screw on the adjusting nuts,drop over your choice of spring,place top hat over the whole assembly,then bottom half of your caster/camber plate,put through the wheel well,place top half of your C/C plate over that,bolt down. the C/C plate is a universal type and needs to be drilled for our 3 bolt pattern. done. align-enjoy.

The kit and all supporting accessories are distributed by, PSI performance shock inc. the dealers name is BO,and he can be reached @ (707) 938-5664
he is a cool guy and patient with the questions. let him know that you are from rivperformance and a bulk buy was presented to him by a member and he'll know where to start.
come on fellas just a little work and we can have primo suspension up front!

P.S a total package deal might be possible too! caster/camber plates + springs...he will match prices too!

Last edited by robotennis61 on Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:20 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

PostSubject: Re: Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required)   Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required) EmptyFri Dec 24, 2010 12:06 am

F#$k it. If it really is do-able, meaning that they will work, I'll round up $200 mad . You just HAD to twist my arm....
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required)   Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required) EmptySat Dec 25, 2010 1:42 am

lol.   And your interest is greatly appreciated.  The response isn't as great as i hoped it would be though. Its difficult for some i guess to envision the possibilities here with the kit.  Ill probably order the kit and get it set up.  I'm a few $s short for the shocks and springs so..maybe by then others will see the possibilities too.  by then....

Last edited by robotennis61 on Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:04 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Name : Mark
Merit : 104

PostSubject: Re: Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required)   Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required) EmptySat Dec 25, 2010 3:19 am

You're kidding - NO one had anything to say about 'glands' and 'nuts'??

jump
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required)   Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required) EmptySat Dec 25, 2010 3:53 am

robotennis61 wrote:
lol. and your interest is greatly appreciated. the response isn't as great as i hoped it would be though, its difficult for some ,i guess,to envision the possibilities here with the kit. ill probably order the kit and get it set up. I'm a few $s short for the shocks and springs,so..maybe by then others will see the possibilities too by then....

Bad timing, and the thread needs to run a little longer.

It is a fair amount of work too. I've been considering it, but I'd have to get a mechanic to do the cutting and welding, and I don't trust anyone that much.

Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required)   Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required) EmptySat Dec 25, 2010 4:09 am

Eldo wrote:
You're kidding - NO one had anything to say about 'glands' and 'nuts'??

jump

lol...if only words could convey what sensations a well set up suspension package can do to the "glands" and make your "nuts" seem ten times bigger..."beware corners..i come for you!"
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required)   Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required) EmptySat Dec 25, 2010 4:23 am

Jack the R wrote:
robotennis61 wrote:
lol. and your interest is greatly appreciated. the response isn't as great as i hoped it would be though, its difficult for some ,i guess,to envision the possibilities here with the kit. ill probably order the kit and get it set up. I'm a few $s short for the shocks and springs,so..maybe by then others will see the possibilities too by then....

Bad timing, and the thread needs to run a little longer.

It is a fair amount of work too. I've been considering it, but I'd have to get a mechanic to do the cutting and welding, and I don't trust anyone that much.

true...but not as much work as you might think. its a simple matter of measuring the stock strut at full extension(jacked up in the air) and at ride height with the weight of the car on the ground. then you deduct the amount of drop that you want,and buy the appropriate insert. for example,if oem strut is extended,21" and you want to lower 2" you would order a 19" insert.and then cut the unistrut to fit the insert. from there you can raise or lower as you wish. this will allow you to have a fully functional shock in compression and in rebound. no bottoming out and no topping out. its a simplified explanation but very close to what the experts will tell you. this is a formula Ive used before and got perfect results. if one goes radically lower then other factors start to amplify like,bump steer and caster and camber angles...etc..etc..a 2" drop is fairly safe. call the # i posted and Bo will rattle off all kinds of specs and geometries.confusing,but one needs to understand suspension basics to understand the potential this kit has....my nuts are tingling all ready.....and my glands? fuhgeht a,bout it!

Last edited by robotennis61 on Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required)   Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required) EmptySat Dec 25, 2010 5:23 pm

I'm not even sure I can get an alignment done anymore. The guy who couldn't do it the last time is running that garage now. The guy who could do it has his own garage, but I don't think he has the equipment.

Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required)   Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required) EmptySat Dec 25, 2010 5:48 pm

Jack the R wrote:
I'm not even sure I can get an alignment done anymore. The guy who couldn't do it the last time is running that garage now. The guy who could do it has his own garage, but I don't think he has the equipment.

alignments are also fairly simple to do in ones own garage. it only takes patience. youtube "string alignment" and you will have a step by step tutorial on how to do it. when making the "toe"adjustments,its done in very small increments. 1/8th of a turn,then test drive.repeat until done. the most important rule to obey is making sure the steering wheel doesn't move while making adjustments. an alignment supplier can sell you a long reach tool that hooks to the steering wheel and loops behind the brake pedal,this way when you adjust your toe the wheel doesn't move and when you're done the steering wheel isn't cockeyed. it works. caster and camber angles is a little more complicated.Its good to have a caster/camber gauge.Longacre.com makes a nice one for not allot of money.If you go to their site and look in their "blems" section,they sell factory seconds that are fully functional but scratched or other,but work just fine. you can also use a protractor level as outlined in HERB ADAMS book "chassis engineering" but I've tried this method and think that having a real C/C gauge is just easier..... all this requires allot of fiddling and patience,but once you get the hang of it ( making mistakes isn't disastrous) it comes along pretty smoothly....

Last edited by robotennis61 on Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:26 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

PostSubject: Re: Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required)   Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required) EmptySat Jan 01, 2011 6:32 pm

i missed this thread due to the holidays, but i am VERY interested in a front coilover setup. I just blew a KYB today headbutt . It was less than 2 years old and I blew it on the bump for my driveway frown
My lowering springs must give stock height struts hell causing them to fail fast. I definitely want to up my setup but for now i will have to buy another strut to keep the car on the road.

Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required)   Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required) EmptySat Jan 01, 2011 7:46 pm

Mr.Riviera wrote:
i missed this thread due to the holidays, but i am VERY interested in a front coilover setup. I just blew a KYB today headbutt . It was less than 2 years old and I blew it on the bump for my driveway frown
My lowering springs must give stock height struts hell causing them to fail fast. I definitely want to up my setup but for now i will have to buy another strut to keep the car on the road.

my sympathies. please feel free to call Bo,he can answer questions that you have. also do a search for "koni inserts" you will find another extremely doable mod that while not coil over compatible,is still worlds better than OEM(crap).... personally i am holding out for the Full adjust mod. being able to tune my suspension to my likeing is worth the extra $$..... ps,let me know if youre in?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required)   Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required) Empty

Back to top Go down

Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required)
Page 1 of 7Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next