Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required)

Go down 
+18
bigdave
Johnny5
al_roethlisberger
simba510
T Riley
albertj
turtleman
nigelf
RidzRiv
charlieRobinson
Mr.Riviera
Eldo
AA
Jack the R
Abaddon
robotennis61
22 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

Name : Codith
Merit : 140

Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required) - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required)   Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required) - Page 4 EmptyThu Nov 22, 2012 1:10 am

That looks awesome
So the original spring is gone and now the shock tower is holding the rear weight of the car now? That's some pretty serious re-engineering, risky no?
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required) - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required)   Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required) - Page 4 EmptyThu Nov 22, 2012 1:27 am

no,i dont think so. if i see any rippling ill weld in steel.simple. dont forget the quarter panel on these cars are pretty stout.besides,the upper oem shock mount is reinforced.i left in the oem steel plate and the upper mount is made of 1/4 steel.all sandwiched together and stupid strong.
Back to top Go down
RidzRiv
Addict
RidzRiv

Name : Greg
Merit : 17

PostSubject: Re: Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required)   Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required) - Page 4 EmptyThu Nov 22, 2012 9:21 am

Lets see some drifting wink
Back to top Go down

Name : Andrew
Merit : 123

PostSubject: Re: Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required)   Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required) - Page 4 EmptyThu Nov 22, 2012 9:26 am

So your bilstiens needed a 7" spacer down from where the OEM rear shcoks mounted, and I see this time with the Koni coilover you have it right up against the stock mount point. (Which renders any concern I had about deflection moot.) Is the Koni setup a bit taller then that you don't need such a spacer at the top? or is it your new bracket at the bottem that addes a bit of height?

And concerning the added stress of removing the stock spring, when I do mine I intend to tie the tops of the shocks together with a tower brace, as well as add in some cross bracing in the trunk. Its not like there is anything in the truck of my riv anyway.

Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required)   Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required) - Page 4 EmptyThu Nov 22, 2012 1:34 pm

Good morning!    
The Koni setup is roughly the same height. The body of the Koni is a little shorter than the Bilstein so i can run it a little lower in the car.I also dropped the car about an inch and change.My goal is 2 inches. The Koni has circlip channels machined into the body to allow you to place the coilover sleeve up and down the body in 3 different locations.Neat.I have the circlip in the middle local,I might move it to the bottom local to see how things look and ride.Right now its ok.I have to trim my quarter panel extensions a little because the tires are kinda close to the rim of the extension.

There is absolutely NO stress to the shock tower at all!  If you peel back the carpet you'll see that GM has a sheet of steel running from the OEM upper shock mount down to the floor of the trunk. really strong.  I took her for a little spin and I felt no issues whatsoever.

Regarding possible camber issues from dropping the rear..None.Because the rear control arms are mounted longitudinally. The tire remains true and perpendicular to the road.They were mounted this way imo to keep things straight when the auto height kicked in.

My initial driving impression on smooth roads the car drives really nicely.Very smooth and controlled. You can feel everything the car is rolling over but in a good way.not harsh or stupid feeling like when you're in a jap car that is lowered by way of cut springs and over compressed shocks and struts. This set up is taylor made to operate on a lowered car.The struts have they're close to 5 inch compression working range as do the rears.  With the rear shocks being hard mounted via spherical bearings and over the rough stuff,I do feel some more nvh but I can live with that.
The Riv is still a heavy car and knows how to keep things planted.The almost complete package has me stubbornly fighting G-forces in the corners.  Before,the tires and body sent out alarms if I went into corners too fast.Not any more.
All that remains for me to do is to replace the rubber bushings with sphericals bearings,and install Nascar sway bars front and rear. Then the package will be complete and I can then concentrate on body and paint.

Last edited by robotennis61 on Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required)   Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required) - Page 4 EmptyMon Nov 26, 2012 2:23 pm

Driving impressions with the front and rear in synch:Awsome.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required)   Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required) - Page 4 EmptyMon Nov 26, 2012 3:07 pm

robotennis61 wrote:
Driving impressions with the front and rear in synch:Awsome.

...so now it's time for the body & paint thread.
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required)   Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required) - Page 4 EmptyFri Jan 18, 2013 11:09 pm

..anyday now...soon..many projects on the burner
Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

Name : Charlie
Merit : 31

PostSubject: Re: Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required)   Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required) - Page 4 EmptyFri Jan 18, 2013 11:11 pm

robotennis61 wrote:
..anyday now...soon..many projects on the burner
Can you at least get us some pics of where you left off so we can keep prodding at you for more? poke
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required)   Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required) - Page 4 EmptyFri Jan 18, 2013 11:15 pm

id love to my man but my car looks like a heap o dog doo right now. my friends proclaim shame when they see me drive up! they run and hide and refuse to ride cry
Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

PostSubject: Re: Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required)   Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required) - Page 4 EmptyFri Jan 18, 2013 11:18 pm

robotennis61 wrote:
id love to my man but my car looks like a heap o dog doo right now. my friends proclaim shame when they see me drive up! they run and hide and refuse to ride cry
lmfao Well props to you for keeping it out on the road and driving it! 3gears
Back to top Go down
T Riley
Guru
T Riley

Name : Travis
Merit : 10

PostSubject: Re: Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required)   Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required) - Page 4 EmptySat Jan 19, 2013 1:53 am

so whats this look like slammed? STANCE BRO wooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Back to top Go down
http://www.rivperformance.com
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required)   Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required) - Page 4 EmptySat Jan 19, 2013 2:07 am

its not really slammed.just lowered a little under 2"s.i might drop it to about an inch more.as is it rides great.
Back to top Go down
T Riley
Guru
T Riley

Name : Travis
Merit : 10

PostSubject: Re: Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required)   Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required) - Page 4 EmptySat Jan 19, 2013 2:12 am

robotennis61 wrote:
its not really slammed.just lowered a little under 2"s.i might drop it to about an inch more.as is it rides great.
cool awesome! I just looked at a Slammed Audi A6 Wagon tonight. razz It handles amazing but i just can't go to a euro car.. sofa king gay
Back to top Go down
http://www.rivperformance.com
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

PostSubject: Re: Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required)   Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required) - Page 4 EmptyWed Mar 06, 2013 10:50 am

Ok, so a parts list recap.

Do you have the link for this?
Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required) - Page 4 DSCF4058

A link for the pillow ball mounts? And the blue pieces?
Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required) - Page 4 HPIM1107

A link for the Eibach springs you used?
Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required) - Page 4 HPIM1563-2
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required)   Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required) - Page 4 EmptyWed Mar 06, 2013 10:54 am

@ charlie robinson,uh,go to page one my man
Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

PostSubject: Re: Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required)   Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required) - Page 4 EmptyWed Mar 06, 2013 11:01 am

robotennis61 wrote:
@ charlie robinson,uh,go to page one my man

No links! and no part number for the uni strut kit either!
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required)   Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required) - Page 4 EmptyWed Mar 06, 2013 11:03 am

no links.
go to, performanceshock.com
everything you need is there.
i put the ordering info on page one.
no links.ya just got to read.
Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

PostSubject: Re: Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required)   Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required) - Page 4 EmptyWed Mar 06, 2013 11:07 am

Sweet. Thank you. Has anyone other than Robo successfully converted to coilovers?
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required)   Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required) - Page 4 EmptyWed Mar 06, 2013 11:08 am

charlieRobinson wrote:
Sweet. Thank you. Has anyone other than Robo successfully converted to coilovers?

NO!!!!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required)   Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required) - Page 4 EmptyWed Mar 06, 2013 11:32 am

Not yet. smile

"The kit and all supporting accessories are distributed by, PSI performance shock inc. the dealers name is BO,and he can be reached @ (707) 938-5664"

Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required) - Page 4 Prices10

Price and part list. Thats what I'm gettting, but with 350lb front and 300lb rear springs.

Expert
charlieRobinson

PostSubject: Re: Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required)   Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required) - Page 4 EmptyWed Mar 06, 2013 11:47 am

And that part list is for 95-99?

Only variable is what spring rates you want?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required)   Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required) - Page 4 EmptyWed Mar 06, 2013 11:50 am

The entire coil-over package is only 97+. I'm doing other things to convert my front end to the 97+ design. (as did Robo)

Spring rates are variables, and I suppose you could go with a diferent vendor race strut insert if you really wanted...

Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required)   Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required) - Page 4 EmptyWed Mar 06, 2013 11:55 am

the kit can be made to fit all years.only difference between series 1 and series 2,is the bolt hole spacing on the strut tab.the spacing is closer together on the series 2.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required)   Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required) - Page 4 EmptyWed Mar 06, 2013 11:58 am

robotennis61 wrote:
the kit can be made to fit all years.only difference between series 1 and series 2,is the bolt hole spacing on the strut tab.the spacing is closer together on the series 2.

Ah, so for series one you would just drill the tabs differently. Good to know. I'm still doing the conversion. I want big brakes. cool

PostSubject: Re: Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required)   Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required) - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required)
Page 4 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next