Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Engine coolant

Go down 
+4
95rivy
AA
Abaddon
Lenrapkins
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

Engine coolant - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine coolant   Engine coolant - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 07, 2011 10:38 am

Lenrapkins wrote:
I did not realise how passionatesome of you are when it comes to posts. I am sorry if I stirred things up. The reason that I am asking questions at 69 years old is because I am on a learning curve with my first American car and want to know as much as I can about it so that I can enjoy it better. The reason that I want to totally drain the system is because the PO mixed several coolants together and I want to put in some good stuff. I have concluded that if my tech removes a bottom hose and then jacks the car up as much as possible at the rear we might be able to get it all out.
Thanks for all the interest and happy motoring to all.
Len

Got it.

Actually, you can get it all out with a 'power flush' kit installed on a heater hose per directions, they are $10 or less for the kit at autopoarts stores or walmart. When the drainage runs clear you have all the coolant out, it's just that you have water in the system.

The way to reckon how much coolant is in the system is not too tough. Start by topping it off, engine stone cold, with water at the radiator cap (NOT the overflow bottle). Then drain it however you plan to drain it. Here's the trick: *measure* what you drain out. Then 13.2 quarts (that's total capacity, remember?), minus the quarts drained, is the amount remaining. Depending on where you drain from and the attitude of the car when draining the amount you get out will vary... but it does not matter.

Next thing is, since you know how much is still "in" just flush the thing with water. When the water runs clear, you will have the calculated amount of fluid still in the system but it will all be water.

So then you fill and burp the system with whatever antifreeze you plan to use, being aware that however much water was left in the system is already there. Suppose 4 quarts of water is the amount remaining. Then if you want a 50/50 mix of antifreeze/water, you have to add about 6.5 to 7 quarts of antifreeze then top off with distilled or deionized water. And refill the overflow bottle to the COLD mark (if engine is cold) with 50/50 mix. OR put 7 quarts straight antifreeze in, top off with distilled or deionized water, then add distilled/deionized water to the overflow bottle to the appropriate level.

You have to adjust the amounts I listed to be correct depending on the amount of water left in teh system after flushing.

Point is to change *all* the antifreeze you don't actually have to get all the fluid out, just have to displace it all via powerflush.

The other way to do what you want is to take the car to a reputable garage where they will flush the system and refill it with "recycled" coolant. Probably a dealer or larger independent garage; probably not a quicklube shop.

Hope this helps

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Name : Mark
Merit : 104

PostSubject: Re: Engine coolant   Engine coolant - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 07, 2011 11:11 pm

Abaddon, whether someone uses air, a water hose, or an inline flush kit, which heater hose is the right one to use? i.e. which way is the flow going, so as to go through the most passages before dumping out the bottom of the radiator? (Don't say it - I'm having my own blockage here... sick )
Back to top Go down
BMD
Aficionado
BMD

Name : BMD
Merit : 36

PostSubject: Re: Engine coolant   Engine coolant - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 07, 2011 11:45 pm

Lenrapkins wrote:
I did not realise how passionatesome of you are when it comes to posts. I am sorry if I stirred things up.

Don't be, your question has resulted in a wealth of info for all members hear to learn from! happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Engine coolant   Engine coolant - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Engine coolant
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2