Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

How to unclog a heater core?

Go down 
+3
albertj
AA
IBx1
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Name : Mark
Merit : 104

How to unclog a heater core? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: How to unclog a heater core?   How to unclog a heater core? - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 08, 2011 12:12 am

[quote="IBx1"...the place flushed it forwards and backwards multiple times until it was clear. Symptom is no heat until higher revs, so I can keep it at 4k and get heat.[/quote]

Something doesn't add up here... If they could put water through it a month ago, the damned thing should flow coolant... How about bypassing the valve anyway? Is there any chance of a stat or hose being mis-installed? How about the core hoses being reversed?

(And I assume you've checked the blend-air door with your own eyes, and/or fingers? - Not the bell-crank, the door itself?)
Back to top Go down
IBx1
Expert
IBx1

Name : ILAN
Merit : 69

PostSubject: Re: How to unclog a heater core?   How to unclog a heater core? - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 08, 2011 7:55 am

I'll check the blend motor again, since it really is in plain sight and easy to get to, and the heater core already is on an offshoot of the coolant system. Like I said, no overheating problems at all. I'll take a good look at everything today when I'm putting the center console back in.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 251

PostSubject: Re: How to unclog a heater core?   How to unclog a heater core? - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 08, 2011 10:39 am

Quote :
Symptom is no heat until higher revs, so I can keep it at 4k and get heat.
Thermostat missing or stuck open might cause this, or wrong t-stat value. You say the cooling system is working, but is it working too well? Maybe someone swapped out the t-stat for a different one at some point?

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
IBx1
Expert
IBx1

PostSubject: Re: How to unclog a heater core?   How to unclog a heater core? - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 08, 2011 10:59 am

The first thing I did was have the dealership install an OEM thermostat. Didn't really help back then either, so the t-stat's fine. It was my first suspicion, since new thermostats are designed to fail open so the car doesn't break for a $30 part.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 251

PostSubject: Re: How to unclog a heater core?   How to unclog a heater core? - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 08, 2011 11:26 am

Could still be stuck open. Might be an easy thing to check. Can you read engine coolant temp with engine warm?

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
IBx1
Expert
IBx1

PostSubject: Re: How to unclog a heater core?   How to unclog a heater core? - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 08, 2011 10:12 pm

Both coolant lines for the heater core are hot with no big difference between inlet and outlet...I'm gonna check the blend motor again, even though that wouldn't open more as revs get higher, or when the coolant system gets serviced. I'm confused to say the least. pale

If this turns out to be the blend motor, I'll be relieved and pissed at the same time, although I doubt that's the culprit.
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

PostSubject: Re: How to unclog a heater core?   How to unclog a heater core? - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 08, 2011 10:27 pm

Well, if the core was plugged, one hose should be cold(er)...
And as I mentioned, I wouldn't be surprised if it actually mattered which way the hoses were attached to the core.
Back to top Go down
IBx1
Expert
IBx1

PostSubject: Re: How to unclog a heater core?   How to unclog a heater core? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 13, 2011 9:34 pm

Well, I can't get to anything because there's too much stuff in the way, like ECU's and other vital parts. The HVAC has a self-diagnostic procedure which I ran three times and it's code-free so the blend motor is fine. Time to really save up.
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

PostSubject: Re: How to unclog a heater core?   How to unclog a heater core? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 13, 2011 11:04 pm

....and what about the way the hoses are connected to the core?
Back to top Go down
IBx1
Expert
IBx1

PostSubject: Re: How to unclog a heater core?   How to unclog a heater core? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 13, 2011 11:26 pm

They're correct. Inlet goes on top, outlet on the bottom. If you hook them up in reverse, it'll blow all the crap over to the engine and make a bigger problem.
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: How to unclog a heater core?   How to unclog a heater core? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 13, 2011 11:30 pm

I had a Acura Legend that had a similar problem to yours. I unhooked the heater hoses at the core,and found them to be so clogged with sediment that i wasnt getting any heat.All I had to do was dig out the debris and problem solved. Did you check the hoses that way?
Back to top Go down
IBx1
Expert
IBx1

PostSubject: Re: How to unclog a heater core?   How to unclog a heater core? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 13, 2011 11:32 pm

I haven't checked them recently, but I'll take a look. Couldn't hurt to dig anything out if there is anything in the hoses, but I'm just afraid of there being too much crap that I couldn't get out.
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: How to unclog a heater core?   How to unclog a heater core? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 13, 2011 11:35 pm

IBx1 wrote:
I haven't checked them recently, but I'll take a look. Couldn't hurt to dig anything out if there is anything in the hoses, but I'm just afraid of there being too much crap that I couldn't get out.

Done be skeered! Usually the sediment just bottles up at the connection point.
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

PostSubject: Re: How to unclog a heater core?   How to unclog a heater core? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 13, 2011 11:38 pm

Okay, fine... Since Rick isn't here lately to comment, I'm going to do it for him (a-hem):

FIND A F@#$^NG HONDA FORUM YOU IDIOT!!!!
!!

The comments expressed do not reflect the opinions of the network... pirate

PS - I do think that some cars have crazy piping... just like everything else that isn't "American!"
And, hey! I was going for comedy, anyway.... lol

Last edited by Eldo on Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:03 am; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
IBx1
Expert
IBx1

PostSubject: Re: How to unclog a heater core?   How to unclog a heater core? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 13, 2011 11:47 pm

A heater core works the same on any car. That's why I asked this question here. I wouldn't ask you guys stuff that's expressly specific to my car.
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: How to unclog a heater core?   How to unclog a heater core? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 13, 2011 11:53 pm

IBx1 wrote:
A heater core works the same on any car. That's why I asked this question here. I wouldn't ask you guys stuff that's expressly specific to my car.

This in theory is true. But each car has peculiarities that can only be addressed by someone experienced with that model. If you take the time to learn and are willing to "dive in" and have a good Haynes manual handy,then you can do all the work yourself. But in the dead of an east coast winter a heated work space really really really is not a bad thing at all!
And if your problem is the heater core that provides heat in thedead of east coast winters,Well ya better get crackin my friend! im jus sayin
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: How to unclog a heater core?   How to unclog a heater core? - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 14, 2011 12:00 am

http://www.hondacarforum.com/honda-2/13861-2003-honda-civic-heater-not-working-properly.html

...not apparent what they know about this on that Honda forum, have a look.

or this

http://www.justanswer.com/honda/1nxj0-2004-honda-civic-ex-90k-miles-heating-problem-s.html

which basically says the head gasket is wacking out. specifically the honda mechanic says that "...the way Honda engine head gaskets usually fail is, that there is no fluid transfer like oil to water or vise versa. But the combustion starts to bow past the gasket into the cooling system. Eventually, depending on how bad, you either loose heat, or when the pocket gets very large, the coolant stops circulation and the engine overheats."

Sounds a little more like he may know what he is talking about.

Read more: Honda Questions - 2004 Honda Civic EX 90K miles Heating Problem(s) since - JustAnswer http://www.justanswer.com/honda/1nxj0-2004-honda-civic-ex-90k-miles-heating-problem-s.html

...and we won't talk about this article, which points out that the Honda Civic has chronic heater issues:

http://www.autos.com/car-buying/7-honda-civic-problems-every-buyer-needs-to-be-aware-of

Ahem... happy reading.

Albertj

Last edited by albertj on Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: How to unclog a heater core?   How to unclog a heater core? - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 14, 2011 12:13 am

I read somewhere too (on Mitchell Tech Tips) that if the A/C is on (defrost) for too long in the winter, the Evaporator freezes and blocks air flow. I'll assume it blows air.....just cold.
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

PostSubject: Re: How to unclog a heater core?   How to unclog a heater core? - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 14, 2011 12:45 am

Abaddon wrote:
I read somewhere too (on Mitchell Tech Tips) that if the A/C is on (defrost) for too long in the winter, the Evaporator freezes and blocks air flow. I'll assume it blows air.....just cold.

Technically, unless the engineers fucked up (!), the system cycles the compressor to prevent icing, regardless of the type of system... Now, compared to the other GM systems, our own A/C systems don't normally cycle. They adjust the stroke (the displacement) of the pump to adapt to the requirements... That's why these cars lose no mileage to the pump in mild or cold temps.
Back to top Go down
IBx1
Expert
IBx1

PostSubject: Re: How to unclog a heater core?   How to unclog a heater core? - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 14, 2011 7:11 am

Albert, thanks for those articles. The HVAC problems in the last article are not what I'm experiencing where the fan isn't working, and I replaced the thermostat already and that didn't work, but that thing about the head gasket is interesting. I don't know what to hope for in this case, but it shouldn't be as expensive to replace if that's the problem.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to unclog a heater core?   How to unclog a heater core? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

How to unclog a heater core?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2