Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

What will a factory headunit play? (CD files)

Go down 
+2
albertj
VegasScott
6 posters
AuthorMessage
VegasScott
Enthusiast
VegasScott

Name : Scott
Merit : 8

What will a factory headunit play? (CD files) Empty
PostSubject: What will a factory headunit play? (CD files)   What will a factory headunit play? (CD files) EmptyTue Jan 11, 2011 2:50 pm

Hey guys,
I wanted to know if the factoy headunit will play CDs that you burn on your PC. I know its probably file dependent, but what are the supported file formats and CD types?
Thanks!
VegasScott
Back to top Go down
http://www.german-pride.com
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: What will a factory headunit play? (CD files)   What will a factory headunit play? (CD files) EmptyTue Jan 11, 2011 2:54 pm

Have not had problems playing CDs burned with Windows Media Player.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: What will a factory headunit play? (CD files)   What will a factory headunit play? (CD files) EmptyTue Jan 11, 2011 2:57 pm

Our factory head will play uncompressed formats WAV, AIFF, maybe a few others (will not play MP4 or other compressed formats). I've played many burned CD-Rs in mine without problems. I think the issue some players have is with the CD-RW discs, which use a different system for encoding the disc.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: What will a factory headunit play? (CD files)   What will a factory headunit play? (CD files) EmptyTue Jan 11, 2011 4:08 pm

Yep. The only thing I ever got it to play was WMA on a CD-R. MP3, MP4, or any other format won't play. I just looked in my Owners manual....it doesn't even say what formats it plays neutral
Back to top Go down
VegasScott
Enthusiast
VegasScott

PostSubject: Re: What will a factory headunit play? (CD files)   What will a factory headunit play? (CD files) EmptyTue Jan 11, 2011 4:44 pm

Thanks guys. I'll have to check what file types I have on my CDs. Its been quite a while since I did any burning of CDs since the mp3 craze started last decade. wink

VegasScott
Back to top Go down
VegasScott
Enthusiast
VegasScott

PostSubject: Re: What will a factory headunit play? (CD files)   What will a factory headunit play? (CD files) EmptyWed Jan 12, 2011 1:47 pm

Do any of you know if Windows Media Player will convert a MP3 to WMA or AIFF file format?
Back to top Go down
VegasScott
Enthusiast
VegasScott

PostSubject: Re: What will a factory headunit play? (CD files)   What will a factory headunit play? (CD files) EmptyWed Jan 12, 2011 1:58 pm

I think I answered my own question on that last one with a google search... Now to try to put it into practice... smile

VegasScott
Back to top Go down
VegasScott
Enthusiast
VegasScott

PostSubject: Re: What will a factory headunit play? (CD files)   What will a factory headunit play? (CD files) EmptyWed Jan 12, 2011 2:21 pm

Score! Done Deal! Man it's been a long time since I've had to do this... I need to go make some sales so I can buy a new headunit! LOL!

VegasScott
Back to top Go down
BMD
Aficionado
BMD

Name : BMD
Merit : 36

PostSubject: Re: What will a factory headunit play? (CD files)   What will a factory headunit play? (CD files) EmptySat Jan 15, 2011 10:57 am

I now this is a crazy question, but what would it take to mod our head unit to play MP3 CDs? You know how guys mod or "chip" gaming consoles to play burnt games? I am not saying that it would be easy or cost effective, but is it possible to do that with our HD? ?
Back to top Go down
VegasScott
Enthusiast
VegasScott

PostSubject: Re: What will a factory headunit play? (CD files)   What will a factory headunit play? (CD files) EmptySat Jan 15, 2011 12:18 pm

I haven't the slightest idea as to how to do that. Yeah, I'm "BONE STOCK" man, but I can't wait to find the right touch screen, buttonless, double din set up for my car. I hate having to look at the cassette deck opening! LOL! lol

VegasScott
Back to top Go down
BMD
Aficionado
BMD

PostSubject: Re: What will a factory headunit play? (CD files)   What will a factory headunit play? (CD files) EmptyMon Jan 17, 2011 2:42 pm

BMD wrote:
I now this is a crazy question, but what would it take to mod our head unit to play MP3 CDs? You know how guys mod or "chip" gaming consoles to play burnt games? I am not saying that it would be easy or cost effective, but is it possible to do that with our HD? ?

Thanks for your reply Scott, anyone else have any ideas?
Back to top Go down
7901mark
Enthusiast

Name : Mark
Merit : 6

PostSubject: Re: What will a factory headunit play? (CD files)   What will a factory headunit play? (CD files) EmptyTue Jan 18, 2011 11:25 am

You would need to replace the CD lens (eye) that is currently in your head unit, and install a "MP3" lens....not really possible, and if it can be done, not worth the effort. I think there are some cheap double dinn units out there that play mp3's. I think Ive seen them for as little as $50.
Back to top Go down
BMD
Aficionado
BMD

PostSubject: Re: What will a factory headunit play? (CD files)   What will a factory headunit play? (CD files) EmptyTue Jan 18, 2011 1:24 pm

Thanks for that Mark. I just thought it would be cool to have MP3 playback capability and keep the interior looking stock. But why do you say it is not really possible?
Back to top Go down
7901mark
Enthusiast

Name : Mark
Merit : 6

PostSubject: Re: What will a factory headunit play? (CD files)   What will a factory headunit play? (CD files) EmptyTue Jan 18, 2011 1:44 pm

BMD wrote:
Thanks for that Mark. I just thought it would be cool to have MP3 playback capability and keep the interior looking stock. But why do you say it is not really possible?

I guess it is possible, but would take a lot of work, effort and knowledge of the stock stereo HU's. If you really want to keep the stock HU, check this page out. I did a very basic search and found this site:

http://www.wonderbarman.com/

Looks like he services AC Delco HU's and might be able to create a "line in or AUX" where you could run an external mp3 player mounted in the dash or something.

I wouldn't retain the stock HU also because of the lack of power, but if I was going for the completely stock look with the ability to play mp3's, i may go the AUX cd player route rather than try to install a new lens (which may require different internal programming, not sure). It looks as if this guy is very knowledgeable about the ac delco stuff, maybe shoot him a quick email asking about the lens change.

I checked ebay and saw a lot of ac delco stereo's claiming mp3 playability with the AUX option. Not the exact stereo, but looks close.

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=delco+mp3&_sacat=0&_odkw=ac+delco+mp3&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

Back to top Go down
BMD
Aficionado
BMD

PostSubject: Re: What will a factory headunit play? (CD files)   What will a factory headunit play? (CD files) EmptyTue Jan 18, 2011 4:33 pm

Cool, thanks for the info man.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What will a factory headunit play? (CD files)   What will a factory headunit play? (CD files) Empty

Back to top Go down

What will a factory headunit play? (CD files)
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Riv Performance ::   General Tech :: Audio & Electronics-
Jump to: