The 8th Gen Riviera Resource
 
HomeDashboardSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Share
 

 My car = Cursed?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Cmurphy
Member
Cmurphy

Name : Charlie Murphy
Age : 36
Location : Lincoln, NE
Joined : 2010-05-10
Post Count : 53
Merit : 1

My car = Cursed? Empty
PostSubject: My car = Cursed?   My car = Cursed? EmptySun Jan 30, 2011 7:50 pm

I think if there's a problem out there my car has or had it...

I've been pulling my hair out lately with all the things going wrong with it.

The biggest thing was the transmission stopped wanting to go into first... it also was making plenty of noise going down the road coming from the trans. I took it into a couple shops and both said a overhaul was needed. Turns out it belw some seals inside and burn up quite a few parts.

A smaller problem was my oil pan gasket decided it didn't want to seal any more, so i had to replace it. Has anyone done this? Anyway its a huge plastic gasket with a windage tray built into it. FYI get the 2nd gen gasket its made to fix the seal from failing again.

Next my Auto lights stopped working, this one still has me a little confused i'm guessing i need the $70 sensor?

My traction light keeps turning on but the abs still works and the abs light stays off so its not the wheel sensors.

My security Light comes on some days when it feels like it.

I had an Air shock explode in the rear, fixed and replaced with new ones and the ride is better than ever.

and besides the HVAC fan being stuck on that i fixed now it won't blow air out on my feet.

But Still all in all I love this car, with a freshly rebuilt transmission, and the engine tuneups and mods it drive so amazingly well.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master


Name : Derek
Age : 47
Location : Reading, MA
Joined : 2007-01-31
Post Count : 7717
Merit : 109

My car = Cursed? Empty
PostSubject: Re: My car = Cursed?   My car = Cursed? EmptySun Jan 30, 2011 8:19 pm

Sounds pretty normal for a 16 year old car. I went through many similar issues. Also replaced the light sensor, two wheel bearing/WSS, rear shocks, front struts, HVAC head, radio head... replaced transmission, complete engine (and the replacement engine has a leaky OP gasket too, although very minor)... so this stuff sounds pretty normal, not a curse at all, unless your rental car while things are being repaired is a Ford or Toyota or Chrysler or ...... wink
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Location : Finger Lakes of New York State
Joined : 2007-05-31
Post Count : 7570
Merit : 153

My car = Cursed? Empty
PostSubject: Re: My car = Cursed?   My car = Cursed? EmptySun Jan 30, 2011 8:35 pm

...which problem do you want to work on first; did you search the site for the writeups and when did you last check the battery for CCAs?
Back to top Go down
Cmurphy
Member
Cmurphy

Name : Charlie Murphy
Age : 36
Location : Lincoln, NE
Joined : 2010-05-10
Post Count : 53
Merit : 1

My car = Cursed? Empty
PostSubject: Re: My car = Cursed?   My car = Cursed? EmptySun Jan 30, 2011 10:10 pm

deekster_caddy wrote:
Sounds pretty normal for a 16 year old car. I went through many similar issues. Also replaced the light sensor, two wheel bearing/WSS, rear shocks, front struts, HVAC head, radio head... replaced transmission, complete engine (and the replacement engine has a leaky OP gasket too, although very minor)... so this stuff sounds pretty normal, not a curse at all, unless your rental car while things are being repaired is a Ford or Toyota or Chrysler or ...... wink

Oh man, my rental car for 3 days while getting the transmission rebuilt was a Toyota Corolla... that was the worst car I've ever driven.

I'm hoping my engine last to maybe 150k-200k (i'm at 95k now and i run full synthetic) before i get the pleasure of rebuilding because then my wife will be out of college but maybe next tax return i'll start getting parts together and buy a cheap auction car for the down time.

albertj wrote:
...which problem do you want to work on first; did you search the site for the writeups and when did you last check the battery for CCAs?

I have searched and read allot, i'm just not sure where to start.
Well the auto dim thing doesn't bother me so much, i'd like to get the auto lights working but if its gonna be expensive i might just wait till i get a big pay check and its warm.

The problems that bother me is the traction control because of the light that comes on and the security light.
Back to top Go down
VegasScott
Enthusiast
VegasScott

Name : Scott
Location : Las Vegas, Nevada
Joined : 2010-12-21
Post Count : 117
Merit : 8

My car = Cursed? Empty
PostSubject: Re: My car = Cursed?   My car = Cursed? EmptySun Jan 30, 2011 11:11 pm

Fix mechanical issues first. I did my intake manifold gaskets and my oil pan gasket first. They weren't severe enough to effect the performance or reliability of my car, but I hate oil leaks. So I takled them first. Then I changed the transmission filter and fluid.

Unless it's 100+ degrees in the desert and the AC goes out, I'd attack the creature comforts last, as they won't prevent you from getting to and from work.

Just my suggestion...

VegasScott
Back to top Go down
http://www.german-pride.com
T Riley
Guru
T Riley

Name : Travis
Age : 29
Location : Your wife's box
Joined : 2007-02-08
Post Count : 5126
Merit : 9

My car = Cursed? Empty
PostSubject: Re: My car = Cursed?   My car = Cursed? EmptySun Jan 30, 2011 11:55 pm

my diff exploded 2 days after my Traction control light remained on by itself LOL GOOD LUCK
Back to top Go down
http://www.rivperformance.com
Cmurphy
Member
Cmurphy

Name : Charlie Murphy
Age : 36
Location : Lincoln, NE
Joined : 2010-05-10
Post Count : 53
Merit : 1

My car = Cursed? Empty
PostSubject: Re: My car = Cursed?   My car = Cursed? EmptyTue Feb 01, 2011 1:00 pm

VegasScott wrote:
Fix mechanical issues first. I did my intake manifold gaskets and my oil pan gasket first. They weren't severe enough to effect the performance or reliability of my car, but I hate oil leaks. So I takled them first. Then I changed the transmission filter and fluid.

Unless it's 100+ degrees in the desert and the AC goes out, I'd attack the creature comforts last, as they won't prevent you from getting to and from work.

Just my suggestion...

VegasScott

I got the head gaskets up with new bolts in the heads when my intake gaskets went out, i just figured it was another 30-45min tear down and another hour assembly at the point after you get the lower intake off.
The AC compressor got replaced by a AC specialist before i got the car. Also my supercharger was replaced 25k Ago.

My car has records of the trans. fluid and filter replaced 3 time which i surprised when it failed.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Location : Finger Lakes of New York State
Joined : 2007-05-31
Post Count : 7570
Merit : 153

My car = Cursed? Empty
PostSubject: Re: My car = Cursed?   My car = Cursed? EmptyTue Feb 01, 2011 1:06 pm

Cmurphy wrote:
VegasScott wrote:
Fix mechanical issues first. I did my intake manifold gaskets and my oil pan gasket first. They weren't severe enough to effect the performance or reliability of my car, but I hate oil leaks. So I takled them first. Then I changed the transmission filter and fluid.

Unless it's 100+ degrees in the desert and the AC goes out, I'd attack the creature comforts last, as they won't prevent you from getting to and from work.

Just my suggestion...

VegasScott

I got the head gaskets up with new bolts in the heads when my intake gaskets went out, i just figured it was another 30-45min tear down and another hour assembly at the point after you get the lower intake off.
The AC compressor got replaced by a AC specialist before i got the car. Also my supercharger was replaced 25k Ago.

My car has records of the trans. fluid and filter replaced 3 time which i surprised when it failed.

maybe some tech with larceny in his/her heart took your good valve body and swapped it for a cruddy one...?!?

just sayin
Back to top Go down
brian10962001
Member


Name : Brian Tucker
Joined : 2010-04-26
Post Count : 51
Merit : 3

My car = Cursed? Empty
PostSubject: Re: My car = Cursed?   My car = Cursed? EmptyThu Feb 24, 2011 8:26 am

Cmurphy wrote:
I think if there's a problem out there my car has or had it...

I've been pulling my hair out lately with all the things going wrong with it.

The biggest thing was the transmission stopped wanting to go into first... it also was making plenty of noise going down the road coming from the trans. I took it into a couple shops and both said a overhaul was needed. Turns out it belw some seals inside and burn up quite a few parts.

A smaller problem was my oil pan gasket decided it didn't want to seal any more, so i had to replace it. Has anyone done this? Anyway its a huge plastic gasket with a windage tray built into it. FYI get the 2nd gen gasket its made to fix the seal from failing again.

Next my Auto lights stopped working, this one still has me a little confused i'm guessing i need the $70 sensor?

My traction light keeps turning on but the abs still works and the abs light stays off so its not the wheel sensors.

My security Light comes on some days when it feels like it.
I had an Air shock explode in the rear, fixed and replaced with new ones and the ride is better than ever.

and besides the HVAC fan being stuck on that i fixed now it won't blow air out on my feet.

But Still all in all I love this car, with a freshly rebuilt transmission, and the engine tuneups and mods it drive so amazingly well.

This is the strangest thing I have EVER had happen. My car does the same "traction control" light but ABS works from time to time. Last night we made an hour long trip to meet some friends at Hooters, and on the ride back, the security light illuminated! I had read this thread yesterday and found it very odd that the first time it did this was right after I read about it LOL.
Back to top Go down
Cmurphy
Member
Cmurphy

Name : Charlie Murphy
Age : 36
Location : Lincoln, NE
Joined : 2010-05-10
Post Count : 53
Merit : 1

My car = Cursed? Empty
PostSubject: Re: My car = Cursed?   My car = Cursed? EmptyThu Feb 24, 2011 9:29 am

My security pulses with my break pedal, that's pretty strange too
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




My car = Cursed? Empty
PostSubject: Re: My car = Cursed?   My car = Cursed? Empty

Back to top Go down
 
My car = Cursed?
Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» Are we cursed

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Riviera Performance ::   Supercharged 3800 Tech :: Series I Engine & Transmission-
Jump to: