Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

My '95 is MAAAADDDD at me.

Go down 
+4
albertj
Cmurphy
flyineagle96
crazyjackcsa
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
crazyjackcsa

Name : Trevor
Merit : 0

My '95 is MAAAADDDD at me. Empty
PostSubject: My '95 is MAAAADDDD at me.   My '95 is MAAAADDDD at me. EmptyTue Feb 01, 2011 5:38 pm

Got the car a few months ago. So far, new plugs, new wires, new alt, new bat. No big deal. Today is a brand new problem. The car bucks and snorts and pops and shudders at 50mph in OD. Take the foot off the gas to coast, and it goes away. Come to a stop and accelerate @2k rpm up to 60 mph and it is fine. Drop into OD and the same thing, misfiring away.

I'd think plugs and wires if I hadn't just done them. Now I'm thinking coil pack.

Thoughts?
Back to top Go down
flyineagle96
Junkie
flyineagle96

Name : James E
Merit : 23

PostSubject: Re: My '95 is MAAAADDDD at me.   My '95 is MAAAADDDD at me. EmptyTue Feb 01, 2011 7:19 pm

Dirty fuel filter,pump or mass air?
Back to top Go down
crazyjackcsa

PostSubject: Re: My '95 is MAAAADDDD at me.   My '95 is MAAAADDDD at me. EmptyTue Feb 01, 2011 7:25 pm

flyineagle96 wrote:
Dirty fuel filter,pump or mass air?

I haven't checked to be honest. It just started today at the start of 150 mile trip, so I had to turn around and take another vehicle.

I thought all of those too, but it's such a narrow range, I would think that a bad fuel filter or pump would be an issue as RPM increased, not decreased to a cruising range.

Again, I'm just formulating a plan of attack for when I get back next week.
Back to top Go down
flyineagle96
Junkie
flyineagle96

PostSubject: Re: My '95 is MAAAADDDD at me.   My '95 is MAAAADDDD at me. EmptyTue Feb 01, 2011 7:33 pm

Some times with load, such as 4 gear, a clogged, dirty fuel filter, will do those symptoms. I would start there, and some dry gas, maybe water?
Back to top Go down
Cmurphy
Cmurphy

Name : Charlie Murphy
Merit : 1

PostSubject: Re: My '95 is MAAAADDDD at me.   My '95 is MAAAADDDD at me. EmptyTue Feb 01, 2011 8:02 pm

Sounds like a TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) to me. But If its only in OD maybe its a trans problem or a balance issue.
Back to top Go down
crazyjackcsa

PostSubject: Re: My '95 is MAAAADDDD at me.   My '95 is MAAAADDDD at me. EmptyTue Feb 01, 2011 8:19 pm

I was kinda thinking water too, I'll give that a look. And Cmurphy, at this point I'm just praying it isn't the tranny, because if it is, that's the end of the car.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: My '95 is MAAAADDDD at me.   My '95 is MAAAADDDD at me. EmptyTue Feb 01, 2011 10:12 pm

crazyjackcsa wrote:
I was kinda thinking water too, I'll give that a look. And Cmurphy, at this point I'm just praying it isn't the tranny, because if it is, that's the end of the car.

Hmmm.....

do you have any maintenance history on the car?

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Cmurphy
Cmurphy

PostSubject: Re: My '95 is MAAAADDDD at me.   My '95 is MAAAADDDD at me. EmptyTue Feb 01, 2011 11:08 pm

crazyjackcsa wrote:

Honestly the tranny part i'm thinking of is electrical and very cheap but a good trans shop will test it for free, hell the ones here actually will read every code and look at your live data to help with any problem transmission or not for free.

I'm still sticking with TPS though, i just went through this on a caviler of all things and it had the same symptoms he went through $700 worth of other parts till he listened to me and bought a $7 TPS, and now it runs great.
Back to top Go down
crazyjackcsa

PostSubject: Re: My '95 is MAAAADDDD at me.   My '95 is MAAAADDDD at me. EmptyWed Feb 02, 2011 4:12 pm

I have very little history on the car, I do know the tranny was rebuilt 5 years ago, and I have reciepts for various parts in the same time frame, brakes, an SC, gas lines, brake lines, but no real history.

I'm going to try the filter first, and some "dry" gas.

From there; Mass air, test the coil packs, TPS, and from there, the junker! (kidding)

Again, I won't get a chance to do this until next week, so it'll take some time.
Back to top Go down
95rivy
Enthusiast
95rivy

Name : curt
Merit : 3

PostSubject: Re: My '95 is MAAAADDDD at me.   My '95 is MAAAADDDD at me. EmptyWed Feb 02, 2011 4:32 pm

hey try this. when you get up to 50mph and starts acting up, shift the car down to third gear, out of od. the rpms wont go to high to do any damage. we need to see if problem goes away. when not in OD.
Back to top Go down
crazyjackcsa

PostSubject: Re: My '95 is MAAAADDDD at me.   My '95 is MAAAADDDD at me. EmptyWed Feb 02, 2011 5:11 pm

95rivy wrote:
hey try this. when you get up to 50mph and starts acting up, shift the car down to third gear, out of od. the rpms wont go to high to do any damage. we need to see if problem goes away. when not in OD.

Tried, and it continues. BUT: If I come to a stop and accelerate to 50 mph, It doesn't do it, only once it attains 50 mph, and I hold it there.
Back to top Go down
flyineagle96
Junkie
flyineagle96

PostSubject: Re: My '95 is MAAAADDDD at me.   My '95 is MAAAADDDD at me. EmptyWed Feb 02, 2011 6:25 pm

Than drive the speed limit,75......
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: My '95 is MAAAADDDD at me.   My '95 is MAAAADDDD at me. EmptyWed Feb 02, 2011 6:30 pm

I reread the thread and I am a little surprised no one asked what wires you put on and did you recheck the installation. Rivs have a high energy ignition system and the factory wires are pretty good - most aftermarkets fit but don't work all that well unless you get Magnecor, Taylor or other reasonably hi-spec wire.

What wires did you use? and it would not be a waste of time to pull and inspect them, maybe one popped loose for some reason. Did you put the heat shields back on? I assume so but I kinda have to ask...

Not sure what else to look at at this point, I've never had the failure pattern you outlined.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: My '95 is MAAAADDDD at me.   My '95 is MAAAADDDD at me. EmptyWed Feb 02, 2011 9:45 pm

I had this happen to me when I cracked a spark plug while installing it. (the #6 plug of course). Pull your plugs and re-check them. Look closely for cracks in the ceramic.

Under most driving conditions it was fine, until it dropped into OD/TCClock and then it bucked like crazy.
Back to top Go down
florence_x
Enthusiast
florence_x

Name : Florence
Merit : 21

PostSubject: Re: My '95 is MAAAADDDD at me.   My '95 is MAAAADDDD at me. EmptySat Feb 05, 2011 2:01 pm

Mine would stutter a bit once I got up to the 50-60mph mark, took my foot off the gas and then it would stop.
After cleaning out my crank case and getting a tune-up, it turned out it was the engine coils (#1 & 4) that were wayyy burnt out on my Riv. I got those replaced when I got her tuned up. It runs much more smoothly now.
Back to top Go down
crazyjackcsa

PostSubject: Re: My '95 is MAAAADDDD at me.   My '95 is MAAAADDDD at me. EmptyTue Feb 08, 2011 4:27 pm

Alright, I'm back at home with the Riv, and here's what I got:

Fuel filter changed, gas changed. The plugs are brand new platnium tipped. The wires are brand new NGK. Haven't had a chance to check them. Will do so this weekend.

The car is worse now... What ever went bad, went bad quickly. It went from driving fine, to driving poorly to now, he car now misses at idle, and throughout the RPM band, even in park. I's scared to take it out to see how it acts on the road. This happened in the course of a 20 minute drive.

But it does start fine.

I had to replace the alt two weeks ago, I had it rebuilt, and the rectifier had gone bad. Put a new battery in it too.

Any chance the bad alt could have fried something out?

Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: My '95 is MAAAADDDD at me.   My '95 is MAAAADDDD at me. EmptyTue Feb 08, 2011 5:25 pm

I had similar problems.Check your TPS sensor.clean it out along with the EGR-AIC-PCV-BCS-MAF
addresing these sensors cleared up plenty of problems. Its a good idea to buy a injector refurb kit. My inj. filters were miles beyond filthy.
Back to top Go down
crazyjackcsa

PostSubject: Re: My '95 is MAAAADDDD at me.   My '95 is MAAAADDDD at me. EmptyThu Feb 10, 2011 1:15 pm

MAF has been cleaned, and seemed fine. Car still runs like junk. Where are the IAC and TPS exactly? How hard is it to clean the EGR and the PCV?
Back to top Go down
Cmurphy
Cmurphy

PostSubject: Re: My '95 is MAAAADDDD at me.   My '95 is MAAAADDDD at me. EmptyThu Feb 10, 2011 2:10 pm

crazyjackcsa wrote:
MAF has been cleaned, and seemed fine. Car still runs like junk. Where are the IAC and TPS exactly? How hard is it to clean the EGR and the PCV?

They are both on the throttle body, i don't think you would be cleaning a TPS its more of a mechanical/electrical part nothing really to clean on it.

The IACV can be cleaned and the passages for it. Its easier to clean it if you take off the throttle body, but that would require a gasket and i believe the IACV has a gasket too.
Back to top Go down
crazyjackcsa

PostSubject: Re: My '95 is MAAAADDDD at me.   My '95 is MAAAADDDD at me. EmptyThu Feb 10, 2011 2:50 pm

One other thing, which I didn't notice until today... In park when I rev it up it chugs up to 4k... then it makes a single popping/whoshing noice throught the exhaust, and drops about 300 rpm. Then it goes back up, makes the noise again, and drops back down 300 rpm.

There is no check engine light, and I don't have a scanner so I don't know if it's throwing a code.
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: My '95 is MAAAADDDD at me.   My '95 is MAAAADDDD at me. EmptyThu Feb 10, 2011 7:03 pm

its sounds like a TPS. if you google it,you will find dozens of ways to test it using a voltmeter.Cleaning it can sometimes help. just spray elec cleaner into the connections and plug back in. because the TPS is so close to the crossover exhaust pipe they have a tendency to bake.also they don't cost a whole lot. yours might need one if its the original. do the volt test

Unplug the TPS electrical connector. Turn on the ignition switch, but do not start the engine. Using a voltmeter, probe the connector’s terminals coming from the computer side to test for supply voltage. Touch the negative lead to the connector’s terminal ground--most likely the black wire--and the meter’s positive or red lead to the connector’s terminal reference voltage wire, a blue or gray color wire. Your meter should read a steady 5.0 volts at the terminal. If you don’t receive this voltage reading, there is an open or short in the supply wire. Turn off the ignition switch and plug the electrical connector back to the TPS.

3Test the TPS for signal voltage to the computer. Insert a pin through the ground wire and another pin through the signal voltage wire and connect the voltmeter probes to the pins using alligator clips. Start the engine. As you manually open and close the throttle plate, watch the voltage readings at the meter. The voltage should gradually increase from 1 to 5 volts and back to 1 volt. If you see erratic movement or no movement of voltage signal, replace the TPS. Turn off the engine.

4Test the TPS’ resistance. This is an alternate method to test a TPS equipped with a variable resistor. Unplug the TPS electrical connection. Set your multimeter to ohms. Connect the ohmmeter probes to the sensor’s supply and signal wire contacts. Manually open and close the throttle plate and watch the resistance reading at the meter. The resistance should gradually increase and decrease as you open and close the throttle plate. If there is an erratic resistance change, no change, or no resistance at all, replace the TPS

also replace all the rubber vac lines.they can leak imperceptibly. Auto zone sells by the foot. some of the vac lines are not equal size on either end of the line. ya just have to get creative there.

and at some point on your 95 you will have to break down and get a inj. service kit. MRinjector.com sells em. smarter yet is to pick up a junked set and send em out for cleaning so as to have a set in rotation.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: My '95 is MAAAADDDD at me.   My '95 is MAAAADDDD at me. EmptyThu Feb 10, 2011 8:41 pm

crazyjackcsa wrote:
One other thing, which I didn't notice until today... In park when I rev it up it chugs up to 4k... then it makes a single popping/whoshing noice throught the exhaust, and drops about 300 rpm. Then it goes back up, makes the noise again, and drops back down 300 rpm.

There is no check engine light, and I don't have a scanner so I don't know if it's throwing a code.

you might simply have hit the 4K rev limiter, it cuts off fuel without cutting off ignition so you get a very lean low power detonation as the engine slows back down then it turns the fuel back on... now that you know it's the rev limiter, don't do that....

...by the way are you sure the spark plug wires are on in the correct order?

albertj
Back to top Go down
crazyjackcsa

PostSubject: Re: My '95 is MAAAADDDD at me.   My '95 is MAAAADDDD at me. EmptyThu Feb 10, 2011 8:56 pm

Hmmmm... I didn't know there was a 4k rev limiter. Interesting. Yes, the plugs are on in the right order. The car was running great, and then all of a sudden, Poof! Problems. And I don't mean like all of a sudden over the course of a week, I mean all of a sudden like flipping a switch. No check engine light, no nothing.
Just garbage.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: My '95 is MAAAADDDD at me.   My '95 is MAAAADDDD at me. EmptyThu Feb 10, 2011 9:24 pm

crazyjackcsa wrote:
Hmmmm... I didn't know there was a 4k rev limiter. Interesting. Yes, the plugs are on in the right order. The car was running great, and then all of a sudden, Poof! Problems. And I don't mean like all of a sudden over the course of a week, I mean all of a sudden like flipping a switch. No check engine light, no nothing.
Just garbage.

You hit the 4K rev limiter if you accelerate the engine without a corresponding transmission load. Proxy for that load is the rate of engine acceleration.

You don't think someone tampered with the car?!?

Back to top Go down
crazyjackcsa

PostSubject: Re: My '95 is MAAAADDDD at me.   My '95 is MAAAADDDD at me. EmptyFri Feb 11, 2011 9:26 am

Nobody touched the car. I was driving, it was good. Suddenly, it went bad. I'm going out tomorrow to take a close look at it.

It seems to be ignition related. Or maybe a plugged convertor, or maybe gremlins.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My '95 is MAAAADDDD at me.   My '95 is MAAAADDDD at me. Empty

Back to top Go down

My '95 is MAAAADDDD at me.
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Riv Performance ::   Supercharged 3800 Tech :: Series I Engine & Transmission-
Jump to: