HomeDashboardFAQSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksMemberlistLog in
Share | 

Gas shoots out from tank?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
nebstewart07

Name: Ben Stewart
Merit: 6

PostSubject: Gas shoots out from tank?   Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:55 am

The past three times I have filled up the pump gets done filling it up it shoots gas out of the tank. This has been at three different stations. wtf is going on. I need to get this fixed b4 i get my new paint hjob
Back to top Go down
DEMonte1997
Fanatic

Name: Rick
Merit: 37

PostSubject: Re: Gas shoots out from tank?   Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:25 am

out the filler neck where the nozzle goes in???

that's odd indeed....

i suspect you might have a leak in the neck but i'll let the experts chime in. or you have poor gas station service in your area. if memory serves

:\

this link explains some things in a very simplistic fashion:

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/fuel-efficiency/fuel-consumption/gas-pump-full-tank.htm

HTH
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Addict

Name: Mark
Merit: 100

PostSubject: Re: Gas shoots out from tank?   Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:37 am

Have your 'representatives' forced new nozzles down your throat?

Out here in MexiFornia, the POS Air Resources Board has forced a new generation of vapor-recovery nozzles on us that not only added 10 cents/gallon to the price, but the damned things are so FUBAR that they had to remove the lock-on clips from them because they can cause overflows and fires...

Typical: Vapor-recovery nozzles that cause more overflows than the old, paid-for ones... clap
Back to top Go down
albertj
Expert

Name:
Merit: 114

PostSubject: Re: Gas shoots out from tank?   Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:04 am

nebstewart07 wrote:
The past three times I have filled up the pump gets done filling it up it shoots gas out of the tank. This has been at three different stations. wtf is going on. I need to get this fixed b4 i get my new paint hjob

Is your check engine or service engine soon light on, and if so what is the code? please?

Back to top Go down
nebstewart07

PostSubject: Re: Gas shoots out from tank?   Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:28 am

Check enginelight was on but i cleaned up the coil pack which was wghat the scanner read and now light is off. If you want more info on my other problem which seems not related to htis one but could be who knows Here is the link

http://rivperformance.editboard.com/t7989-starting-problems#125239
Back to top Go down
nebstewart07

PostSubject: Re: Gas shoots out from tank?   Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:31 am

DEMonte1997 wrote:
out the filler neck where the nozzle goes in???

that's odd indeed....

i suspect you might have a leak in the neck but i'll let the experts chime in. or you have poor gas station service in your area. if memory serves

:\

this link explains some things in a very simplistic fashion:

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/fuel-efficiency/fuel-consumption/gas-pump-full-tank.htm

HTH

yes where the nozel goes in at. I have been to three different gas statrions, one in nebraska, one in Iowa, and one in missouri the all did it on the same day. Today I didnt fill the tank up all the way and it didnt do it. so idk whats going on
Back to top Go down
nebstewart07

PostSubject: Re: Gas shoots out from tank?   Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:35 am

I must mention my fuel gauge is not working properly. My dad replaced the fuel pump and i think he forgot to put the float all the way down because when it is full it is at 1/4 and then it drops down to e after a little while and stays there. Then when i fill it up again it goes back to 1/4 so i will tear that apart next week to see if that is the problem with the gauge but i really want to find out about the gas shooting out cause it is gonna get paint in two weeks and i dont want gas to get on my brand new custom paint job!
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Addict

Name: Mark
Merit: 100

PostSubject: Re: Gas shoots out from tank?   Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:00 am

Uh, you didn't drop the tank to do that fuel pump job, did you ?

I only ask because the tank has a ball-valve to prevent overflow into the vent-circuit... But if you only removed the "fuel-module" via the panel in the trunk, then it shouldn't apply.
Back to top Go down
nebstewart07

PostSubject: Re: Gas shoots out from tank?   Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:23 am

yah no dropping the tank. we changed the fuel pump through the panel in the trunk
Back to top Go down
flyineagle96
Enthusiast

Name: James
Merit: 22

PostSubject: Re: Gas shoots out from tank?   Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:52 pm

[quote="Eldo"' forced new nozzles down your throat?

lmfao
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Junkie

Name: Scott
Merit: 134

PostSubject: Re: Gas shoots out from tank?   Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:41 pm

It sounds like your EVAP Vent System is clogged/frozen/stuck/inop. If the system is closed all the time, the tank will build pressure, especially when filling up, causing the fuel puke. I would have the EVAP system tested for function.

As for the fuel gauge, did your dad replace the whole unit or did he simply replace the pump itself?
Back to top Go down
http://www.somersetbuickgmc.com Online
BMD
Fanatic

Name: BMD
Merit: 36

PostSubject: Re: Gas shoots out from tank?   Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:37 pm

My FSM says that when doing any work on the fuel system, the fuel pressure should be eliminated first, any chance you guys didn't do that when replacing the fuel pump?
Back to top Go down
nebstewart07

PostSubject: Re: Gas shoots out from tank?   Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:27 pm

Abaddon wrote:
It sounds like your EVAP Vent System is clogged/frozen/stuck/inop. If the system is closed all the time, the tank will build pressure, especially when filling up, causing the fuel puke. I would have the EVAP system tested for function.

As for the fuel gauge, did your dad replace the whole unit or did he simply replace the pump itself?

how do you test the EVAP system?

As for the fuel pump. Is the sending unit on the pump or not if so we took the whole pump assembly with everything attached out of one of the parts cars and put it in my car
Back to top Go down
nebstewart07

PostSubject: Re: Gas shoots out from tank?   Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:28 pm

BMD wrote:
My FSM says that when doing any work on the fuel system, the fuel pressure should be eliminated first, any chance you guys didn't do that when replacing the fuel pump?

i guess i am unsure on how you would do this but my dad did all of te fuel pump stuff while I was gone so he may have. I will have to check
Back to top Go down
BMD
Fanatic

Name: BMD
Merit: 36

PostSubject: Re: Gas shoots out from tank?   Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:37 pm

There is a pressure relief valve on the fuel rail, similar to that on a tire. Cover the valve with shop towels and depress the valve to release pressure.
Back to top Go down

Gas shoots out from tank?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Riviera Performance ::  :: -