Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Project Number 2: Paint and Body

Go down 
+15
ghpcnm
J. Chris Davis
bigdave
99Rivman
BlownRiv
albertj
crlombardi69
stan
DEMonte1997
Eldo
BMD
robotennis61
nebstewart07
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
nebstewart07
Fanatic
nebstewart07

Name : Ben Stewart
Merit : 6

Project Number 2: Paint and Body Empty
PostSubject: Project Number 2: Paint and Body   Project Number 2: Paint and Body EmptyFri Feb 25, 2011 1:52 am

Alright guys car is getting ready for paint so there will be lots of pictures, just like my last project, alot of help will come from the paint and body guy. You guys are the only ones too see pictures or the car except my body guy. So feel special. Here they are:

Tailights removed:
Project Number 2: Paint and Body DSCF1216

Headlights, grille, etc, removed:
Project Number 2: Paint and Body DSCF1217

Trim & weatherstripping removed:
Project Number 2: Paint and Body DSCF1218

Drivers side trim and weatherstripping removed:
Project Number 2: Paint and Body DSCF1219

Door trim removed:
Project Number 2: Paint and Body DSCF1220

Front End Shot again:
Project Number 2: Paint and Body DSCF1221

More pics to come since I wil be working on it tommorow.

Last edited by nebstewart07 on Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
nebstewart07
Fanatic
nebstewart07

PostSubject: Re: Project Number 2: Paint and Body   Project Number 2: Paint and Body EmptyFri Feb 25, 2011 2:14 am

O yah here is some backgroung info:

Car is going to be two tone(Black Nighthawk Pearl on top with Candy Red Mettalic Pearl on bottom) Line wll almost follow body lines about 1 inch below but with a dip at the tailights.
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: Project Number 2: Paint and Body   Project Number 2: Paint and Body EmptyFri Feb 25, 2011 8:49 am

cant wait to see the finished car.BTW,whats a "my by guy" ? sounds like a gremlin or something??
Back to top Go down
BMD
Aficionado
BMD

Name : BMD
Merit : 36

PostSubject: Re: Project Number 2: Paint and Body   Project Number 2: Paint and Body EmptyFri Feb 25, 2011 10:10 am

robotennis61 wrote:
cant wait to see the finished car.
agree Keep the pics comin' and I hope everything goes well.
Back to top Go down
nebstewart07
Fanatic
nebstewart07

PostSubject: Re: Project Number 2: Paint and Body   Project Number 2: Paint and Body EmptyFri Feb 25, 2011 11:25 am

robotennis61 wrote:
cant wait to see the finished car.BTW,whats a "my by guy" ? sounds like a gremlin or something??

haha its been fixed. It was supposed to be "my body guy"
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Name : Mark
Merit : 104

PostSubject: Re: Project Number 2: Paint and Body   Project Number 2: Paint and Body EmptyFri Feb 25, 2011 8:40 pm

That's quite a job, converting the whole interior to another color!
That is my favorite interior color, but I wouldn't have had the stamina to do a complete conversion...

thumbsup
Back to top Go down
nebstewart07
Fanatic
nebstewart07

PostSubject: Re: Project Number 2: Paint and Body   Project Number 2: Paint and Body EmptyFri Feb 25, 2011 10:03 pm

Not too hard eldo. You pay for me to come there Ill help you lol
Back to top Go down
nebstewart07
Fanatic
nebstewart07

PostSubject: Re: Project Number 2: Paint and Body   Project Number 2: Paint and Body EmptySat Feb 26, 2011 3:45 am

Update:

Came to the shop today and body guy had started to fix dents on car so here are some pics:

Three dents on quarter panel:
Project Number 2: Paint and Body Dscf1210

2 or 3 dents on passenger door:
Project Number 2: Paint and Body Dscf1211

Trunk had some gouges down to the metal. Prolly the worst piece on the car:
Project Number 2: Paint and Body Dscf1212

Couple dents on drivers quarter(dont pay attention to drivers door different one is going on:
Project Number 2: Paint and Body Dscf1213

More pics
Back to top Go down
nebstewart07
Fanatic
nebstewart07

PostSubject: Re: Project Number 2: Paint and Body   Project Number 2: Paint and Body EmptySat Feb 26, 2011 3:52 am

Image loader quit working so here are the rest of the pics:

Fender came in second and then hood prolly for the worst pieces but the dents are very minor if you cant tell from the pics no puller needed:
Project Number 2: Paint and Body Dscf1214

One or two dents on passenger fender:
Project Number 2: Paint and Body Dscf1215

Quarter with very little body filler for dents:
Project Number 2: Paint and Body Dscf1216

Other quarter with very little filler for dents:
Project Number 2: Paint and Body Dscf1217

Drivers door one dent:
Project Number 2: Paint and Body Dscf1218

Trunk again
Project Number 2: Paint and Body Dscf1219

I have more pics just need to be included in seperate post
Back to top Go down
nebstewart07
Fanatic
nebstewart07

PostSubject: Re: Project Number 2: Paint and Body   Project Number 2: Paint and Body EmptySat Feb 26, 2011 4:05 am

Damn camera lens is dirty.

Well me masked some stuff up to primer the spots sanded down as well as the whole hood and trunk since they will be black and seen the most. Next guiding coat will be laid down to ensured all dents and gouges were removed then sand everything down then ready to really start going to town. O yah bumpers will be removed because they need some work too.

Front end Taped up to ensure no overspray where we dont want it:
Project Number 2: Paint and Body Dscf1220

Rear taped up:
Project Number 2: Paint and Body Dscf1221

Windows taped up:
Project Number 2: Paint and Body Dscf1222

Back end taped up:
Project Number 2: Paint and Body Dscf1223

Side taped up:
Project Number 2: Paint and Body Dscf1224

Trunk primered:
Project Number 2: Paint and Body Dscf1225

Hood primered and most of the fender:
Project Number 2: Paint and Body Dscf1226

Side spots primered:
Project Number 2: Paint and Body Dscf1227

Other side spots primered:
Project Number 2: Paint and Body Dscf1228

More pics to come. Tommorow bumpers will be removed and more He said should be ready for paint wednesday but who knows. i dont want him hurrying. I can wait. O yah by the way guys I am helping with prep and etc he is painting. i dont want to take all the credit making you guys think I did this. i need to find rims and an hid kit now. Project 3 is about done (Headlights and corner lamps) look good no pics yet
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

PostSubject: Re: Project Number 2: Paint and Body   Project Number 2: Paint and Body EmptySat Feb 26, 2011 4:11 am

A small thing, but while you've got the car apart put new long-life (LL) bulbs in all the exterior lamps...
Back to top Go down
nebstewart07
Fanatic
nebstewart07

PostSubject: Re: Project Number 2: Paint and Body   Project Number 2: Paint and Body EmptySat Feb 26, 2011 4:39 am

HID's are going in the low beams for the headlights. And yes all the tailights will get new bulbs. For some reason someone cut both wires going to the corner lights so they will be put back together. What are the corne lights used for and when
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: Project Number 2: Paint and Body   Project Number 2: Paint and Body EmptySat Feb 26, 2011 9:21 am

If your going through all this work,why dont you get the "sqrivi bumper"? it would look so cool
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

PostSubject: Re: Project Number 2: Paint and Body   Project Number 2: Paint and Body EmptySat Feb 26, 2011 5:09 pm

nebstewart07 wrote:
For some reason someone cut both wires going to the corner lights so they will be put back together. What are the corner lights used for and when

If you're talking about the lights at the corner of the bumper below the tail lights, they are just marker lights that come on with the parking or headlights. If you mean the clear cornering lights in the front fenders, they come on when the headlights are on and the turn signals are used, sending light in the direction you're cornering... They are also handy for reading address numbers on curbs at night, and can be left on with the Twilight Sentinel timer if you want to light your way in one direction when you get out of the car.
reindeer
Back to top Go down
nebstewart07
Fanatic
nebstewart07

PostSubject: Re: Project Number 2: Paint and Body   Project Number 2: Paint and Body EmptySat Feb 26, 2011 5:25 pm

Yes I was talkig about the lights next to the headlights. Ok that makes sense eldo. I was wondering why I couldnt see as good when turning in my car compared to my dads car.
Back to top Go down
DEMonte1997
Aficionado
DEMonte1997

Name : Rick
Merit : 37

PostSubject: Re: Project Number 2: Paint and Body   Project Number 2: Paint and Body EmptySun Feb 27, 2011 12:54 am

nebstewart07 wrote:
Yes I was talkig about the lights next to the headlights. Ok that makes sense eldo. I was wondering why I couldnt see as good when turning in my car compared to my dads car.

I actually unplugged the cornering lights in my car. Pretty much worthless, IMO. shocked (i know... a lot of people will not agree with me... oh well).
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

PostSubject: Re: Project Number 2: Paint and Body   Project Number 2: Paint and Body EmptySun Feb 27, 2011 1:11 am

You're right - I disagree... and you unplugged them why, to save electricity? lmao

Whether it's the address numbers I mentioned, or going up the dark, twisty driveway to the Elk's Club, I've never wanted to do without them since my Dad's '71 Continental.
Back to top Go down
nebstewart07
Fanatic
nebstewart07

PostSubject: Re: Project Number 2: Paint and Body   Project Number 2: Paint and Body EmptyMon Feb 28, 2011 11:52 pm

Here are some update pics:

Car sanded down on primered spots with guidecoat to make sure dents were removed:
Project Number 2: Paint and Body Dscf1210

Trunk with bumper removed
Project Number 2: Paint and Body Dscf1211

Driver's side:
Project Number 2: Paint and Body Dscf1212

Passenger side:
Project Number 2: Paint and Body Dscf1213

Driver's door:
Project Number 2: Paint and Body Dscf1214

Rear:
Project Number 2: Paint and Body Dscf1215

Rear again:
Project Number 2: Paint and Body Dscf1217

More pics to come. Going to look at a riviera tommorow for 300 bucks no motor. I need a good bumper and maybe it has the woodgrain dash.
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

PostSubject: Re: Project Number 2: Paint and Body   Project Number 2: Paint and Body EmptyTue Mar 01, 2011 1:06 am

2 things that just occurred to me:

- Can't you paint and/or woodgrain your own existing dash panel?
- If it hasn't been done, now looks like the perfect time to replace your lower radiator hose and get rid of the factory "installation aid" pipe & hose...
Back to top Go down
nebstewart07
Fanatic
nebstewart07

PostSubject: Re: Project Number 2: Paint and Body   Project Number 2: Paint and Body EmptyTue Mar 01, 2011 1:14 am

Eldo:

1. it will prolly be painted
2. What are you meaning by the radiator hose? TB is going to be removed and cleaned after paint job so i believe i will have to drain it anyways. Correct?
Back to top Go down
stan
Expert

Merit : 12

PostSubject: Re: Project Number 2: Paint and Body   Project Number 2: Paint and Body EmptyTue Mar 01, 2011 1:19 am

ever thought of HUD it shouldn't be hard to do.Now is the time for you to do it with the dash off the car.
Here 's how it's done on a regal.
http://www.bonnevillepro.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=12273
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

PostSubject: Re: Project Number 2: Paint and Body   Project Number 2: Paint and Body EmptyTue Mar 01, 2011 1:25 am

Quote :
2. What are you meaning by the radiator hose? TB is going to be removed and cleaned after paint job so i believe i will have to drain it anyways. Correct?

Ben,
Our cars are all reaching the age where the hoses should be replaced if the factory ones are still in place. The upper hose is a breeze, but the lower hose is the Devil's own hell. The factory put a stub-hose on the radiator with a metal nipple, and when it was installed in the car it made it easier to connect to the hose coming from the water pump...

What this means is that there are THREE clamps squeezed down between the radiator & the frame rail, below the tranny-cooler lines and low-coolant sensor. The replacement lower hoses are long enough to go all the way to the radiator without the nipple, and of course that last few inches of stub-hose is 14 years old as well... I was just looking at your pics and thinking that with everything you've removed from the RF corner of the car, this would be a good time to do it.

(As I said, IF it's still original. Next time you open the hood, look down below the radiator cap and you'll see what I mean.)

EDIT: Here's a photo from Abaddon that shows the installation aid I referred to:
Project Number 2: Paint and Body 100616_164037
Back to top Go down
nebstewart07
Fanatic
nebstewart07

PostSubject: Re: Project Number 2: Paint and Body   Project Number 2: Paint and Body EmptyTue Mar 01, 2011 1:41 am

stan wrote:
ever thought of HUD it shouldn't be hard to do.Now is the time for you to do it with the dash off the car.

And this would do what for me? show me my speed on the window? if so doesnt seem worth the hassle
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

PostSubject: Re: Project Number 2: Paint and Body   Project Number 2: Paint and Body EmptyTue Mar 01, 2011 1:42 am

Ben, we were posting at the same time - I just added a photo to my radiator hose post...
Back to top Go down
DEMonte1997
Aficionado
DEMonte1997

Name : Rick
Merit : 37

PostSubject: Re: Project Number 2: Paint and Body   Project Number 2: Paint and Body EmptyTue Mar 01, 2011 1:47 am

nebstewart07 wrote:
stan wrote:

And this would do what for me? show me my speed on the window? if so doesnt seem worth the hassle

I agree with you Ben. There's quite a few people who get a huge kick out of seeing their speed and a blinker symbol staring them back through the windshield. Just like you, I don't get it... scratch
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Project Number 2: Paint and Body   Project Number 2: Paint and Body Empty

Back to top Go down

Project Number 2: Paint and Body
Page 1 of 6Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next