Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Power Seat Problems - Seat Leans or Wont Move

Go down 
+26
cryoburned
DEMonte1997
pbrktrt
Andysdorm
otto95
rk0ehn
flyineagle96
VincentVega
Fastbuick95
BigRay1125
96scriviera
Joby70739
BMD
robotennis61
GMFreak8
T Riley
deekster_caddy
ibmoses
Eldo
Rickw
albertj
rivman96
R1V13RA
BrokenDownInTheYard
blackbart95
SupersportSteve
30 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

Power Seat Problems - Seat Leans or Wont Move - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Power Seat Problems - Seat Leans or Wont Move   Power Seat Problems - Seat Leans or Wont Move - Page 3 EmptyMon Apr 05, 2010 1:22 pm

What I read is that the EXIT button just goes all the way down and back, and is not programmable. It's there in the owners manual.

Whoops I see Eldo beat me to it.

edit: NM didn't even see page 2. Oops.
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Name : Mark
Merit : 104

PostSubject: Re: Power Seat Problems - Seat Leans or Wont Move   Power Seat Problems - Seat Leans or Wont Move - Page 3 EmptyMon Apr 05, 2010 1:47 pm

BMD wrote:
Eldo, which one is the MSM?...
Power Seat Problems - Seat Leans or Wont Move - Page 3 385287181
(thanks turtleman for the pic wink )

The smaller black box at the top-right is the heater controller, and the larger black box mounted on the metal plate below and to the left is the MSM module. (The white things are the positions sensors.)
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Power Seat Problems - Seat Leans or Wont Move   Power Seat Problems - Seat Leans or Wont Move - Page 3 EmptyMon Apr 05, 2010 1:49 pm

deekster_caddy wrote:
What I read is that the EXIT button just goes all the way down and back, and is not programmable. It's there in the owners manual.

Whoops I see Eldo beat me to it.

edit: NM didn't even see page 2. Oops.

I did some checking - as for the standard installation, I stand corrected. Let me just say I talked with a certain dealer mechanic at lunchtime while out running errands - I'm ordering one of those modules Eldo talked about (or getting a junkyard one) and am going to do some pin-picking probably this weekend. Mine works but is, in fact, not the one that is supposed to be in there and was "hacked" to work. I had no idea. But I'll replace it. Eldo is probably correct about the position sensor.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

PostSubject: Re: Power Seat Problems - Seat Leans or Wont Move   Power Seat Problems - Seat Leans or Wont Move - Page 3 EmptyMon Apr 05, 2010 2:04 pm

albertj wrote:

I did some checking - as for the standard installation, I stand corrected. Let me just say I talked with a certain dealer mechanic at lunchtime while out running errands - I'm ordering one of those modules Eldo talked about (or getting a junkyard one) and am going to do some pin-picking probably this weekend. Mine works but is, in fact, not the one that is supposed to be in there and was "hacked" to work. I had no idea. But I'll replace it. Eldo is probably correct about the position sensor.

Albertj

How did you find out, did you pull the seat today? And if it's been working, it would be interesting to know what part # it is... Come to think of it, if it's working, why change it - no parallel-park assist?
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Power Seat Problems - Seat Leans or Wont Move   Power Seat Problems - Seat Leans or Wont Move - Page 3 EmptyMon Apr 05, 2010 2:20 pm

Eldo wrote:
albertj wrote:

Albertj

How did you find out, did you pull the seat today? And if it's been working, it would be interesting to know what part # it is... Come to think of it, if it's working, why change it - no parallel-park assist?

No I was BSing with a dealer mechanic about how UFOs were phreaking car electronics (there supposedly was a UFO sighting in our area the other day) and I mentioned the thread. He mentioned they'd hacked my memory seat module. Did not have to pull the seat, just had to raise it with the seat controls adn look under.

Why replace it? I don't like hacks. And it explains why I'd have problems with it cutting out from time to time (loose connection/chafed wire, whcih they re-taped when I complained about it).

By the way what parallel park assist are you talking about? the Mirror Down or sth. else?

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: Power Seat Problems - Seat Leans or Wont Move   Power Seat Problems - Seat Leans or Wont Move - Page 3 EmptyMon Apr 05, 2010 3:35 pm

Albert, do you know who did the "hacking" on your module.?

I think Eldo was referring to the passenger mirror down as parallel park assist.
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

PostSubject: Re: Power Seat Problems - Seat Leans or Wont Move   Power Seat Problems - Seat Leans or Wont Move - Page 3 EmptyMon Apr 05, 2010 3:42 pm

Rickw wrote:

I think Eldo was referring to the passenger mirror down as parallel park assist.

Yeah, that's what I was wondering, but I think he just said that he talked to the guy(s) who actually hacked it.

And yes, the passenger side tilt-down is what I meant. As I mentioned a while back, the unit on my brother's '03 Silverado lets you adjust how far down it goes. I don't think either of ours are adjustable in that way, and because mine has the original module problem, it has 2 different angles that it pulls purely at random: too far and not enough... rolleyes
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Power Seat Problems - Seat Leans or Wont Move   Power Seat Problems - Seat Leans or Wont Move - Page 3 EmptyMon Apr 05, 2010 3:49 pm

I never use the parallel park assist feature to know if it is erratic or consistent.
I find I can back up and park without it.
I just find it to be not in the correct place for me.
If it were adjustable maybe I would use it. But I think I tried it the first week or so after buying the car and have turned it off ever since.
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

PostSubject: Re: Power Seat Problems - Seat Leans or Wont Move   Power Seat Problems - Seat Leans or Wont Move - Page 3 EmptyMon Apr 05, 2010 3:51 pm

Probably the same problem I have... Sometimes it's nice to see the rear tire, but then you can't see the tree that you're about to hit with the fender.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Power Seat Problems - Seat Leans or Wont Move   Power Seat Problems - Seat Leans or Wont Move - Page 3 EmptyMon Apr 05, 2010 6:11 pm

Eldo wrote:
Rickw wrote:

Yeah, that's what I was wondering, but I think he just said that he talked to the guy(s) who actually hacked it.

And yes, the passenger side tilt-down is what I meant. As I mentioned a while back, the unit on my brother's '03 Silverado lets you adjust how far down it goes. I don't think either of ours are adjustable in that way, and because mine has the original module problem, it has 2 different angles that it pulls purely at random: too far and not enough... rolleyes

Yes, talked to 'em, see prior post. I ordered parts but am thinking I should have left well enough alone. Thanks again Eldo for the P/N. Although I am feeling stripped, it was almost $300 *after* discount.

I'll try to remember to ask about the mirror-down angle. I would not be surprised to learn it's adjustable via the Tech II - and I will bet that there is some reason they are *not* suppsed to adjust it. Hopefully one of the former GM techs will chime in.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Power Seat Problems - Seat Leans or Wont Move   Power Seat Problems - Seat Leans or Wont Move - Page 3 EmptyMon Apr 05, 2010 6:52 pm

Albert,
Is there a reason you didn't order from Monsterparts and save almost $100.00 ?
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Power Seat Problems - Seat Leans or Wont Move   Power Seat Problems - Seat Leans or Wont Move - Page 3 EmptyMon Apr 05, 2010 7:29 pm

Rickw wrote:
Albert,
Is there a reason you didn't order from Monsterparts and save almost $100.00 ?

multiple choice (one, any or all) :-)

a) temporary insanity,

b) was down there and did not demur to go order the part

c) 'free' consulting from the dealer to undo the small mess

I have a good relationship with the parts and service part of the dealership. i have little/no reason to think i'd buy a car there, the auto sales side is "typical" and GM's consolidation (leaving them standing) did not help.

albertj
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

PostSubject: Re: Power Seat Problems - Seat Leans or Wont Move   Power Seat Problems - Seat Leans or Wont Move - Page 3 EmptyMon Apr 05, 2010 10:54 pm

albertj wrote:

Yes, talked to 'em, see prior post. I ordered parts but am thinking I should have left well enough alone. Thanks again Eldo for the P/N. Although I am feeling stripped, it was almost $300 *after* discount.

I'll try to remember to ask about the mirror-down angle. I would not be surprised to learn it's adjustable via the Tech II - and I will bet that there is some reason they are *not* suppsed to adjust it. Hopefully one of the former GM techs will chime in.

Albertj

God knows that they're *not* supposed to do anything that we want them to do, like changing (for the safer) the fan temperature settings...

Yes, it is TOTAL BS that a MSM module should cost nearly as much as a PCM!
My price would've been over $260, and I just wasn't anal enough to pay that much... Between wet weather and getting ready to move, my time to play around in a wrecking yard has been severely curtailed - but I still hope to be able to drive my car up next to the '98 in my nearest yard and use jumper cables and extension cord to pull the manual switch on the side of the seat and power the seat forward, so I can get a (presumably) post-problem module... headbutt
Back to top Go down
Joby70739
Joby70739

Name : Tori
Merit : 4

PostSubject: Power Seat Problems - Seat Leans or Wont Move   Power Seat Problems - Seat Leans or Wont Move - Page 3 EmptyMon Apr 19, 2010 10:11 pm

Is there a chance the back of the seat could be off track? I have to hold pressure forward to get the back to move forward or back. After holding and letting it back as far as it will go you cant push it forward to get in the back seat. I have seen the sticky for removing the seat but if I remove it can this be repaired without replacing the whole seat?
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Power Seat Problems - Seat Leans or Wont Move   Power Seat Problems - Seat Leans or Wont Move - Page 3 EmptyMon Apr 19, 2010 10:54 pm

Are you talking about the recliner or the seat bottom?

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Joby70739
Joby70739

PostSubject: Re: Power Seat Problems - Seat Leans or Wont Move   Power Seat Problems - Seat Leans or Wont Move - Page 3 EmptyMon Apr 19, 2010 10:56 pm

Recliner, the bottom works fine.
It wont recline or move back forward unless I push forward on the seat. I was going to take the seat out and see if something came loose but then I was thinking if it did it wouldnt move at all. All the motors are working fine its like the belt/chain whatever moves it is stretched out or not on right. This are just one of the many things I have to fix since I got it back from my son. And thanks because you helped me with the last few problems I have had to fix.
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

PostSubject: Re: Power Seat Problems - Seat Leans or Wont Move   Power Seat Problems - Seat Leans or Wont Move - Page 3 EmptyTue Apr 20, 2010 8:19 pm

Hmmm, it almost sounds like some problem with the inertial latch for the seat-back...

Unfortunately, I have no info on how those work. But, I CAN tell u that the recliner itself is actually controlled by a pair of worm-drive screws that run along the outer edges of the seat bottom. The recliner motor is down there among the tilt and horizontal motors, and the screws move fore & aft in the seat bottom to control the angle of the seat back...
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Power Seat Problems - Seat Leans or Wont Move   Power Seat Problems - Seat Leans or Wont Move - Page 3 EmptyTue Apr 20, 2010 10:14 pm

Eldo wrote:
Hmmm, it almost sounds like some problem with the inertial latch for the seat-back...

Unfortunately, I have no info on how those work. But, I CAN tell u that the recliner itself is actually controlled by a pair of worm-drive screws that run along the outer edges of the seat bottom. The recliner motor is down there among the tilt and horizontal motors, and the screws move fore & aft in the seat bottom to control the angle of the seat back...

Might have a stripped sprocket or a screw that was taken past its normal travel, as if for instance one tried to recline the seat into being a bed of sorts (they just don't recline that far in this car).

There was one thread or another that showed a seat disassembley, anyone know what it was?

Joby you might wind up getting a working seat shipped from Ed Morad then putting your upholstery on it. Not sure, let's see what others post.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Joby70739
Joby70739

PostSubject: Re: Power Seat Problems - Seat Leans or Wont Move   Power Seat Problems - Seat Leans or Wont Move - Page 3 EmptyWed Apr 21, 2010 2:31 pm

I will be redoing the all of the interior in about a month so if it's a new seat I'll wait till then and just deal with it.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Power Seat Problems - Seat Leans or Wont Move   Power Seat Problems - Seat Leans or Wont Move - Page 3 EmptyWed Apr 21, 2010 3:47 pm

Not necessarily a new seat. With some patience, parts form one GM power seat can often be used on others. It is worth your while to figure out what broke.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
GMFreak8
Addict
GMFreak8

Name : Kyle
Merit : 15

PostSubject: Re: Power Seat Problems - Seat Leans or Wont Move   Power Seat Problems - Seat Leans or Wont Move - Page 3 EmptySat Apr 24, 2010 2:09 pm

Albert, if you would happen to know what vehicles a lumbar motor could be found in that would replace the one in the Riviera, that would make my day. wink
Back to top Go down
96scriviera
Amateur

Name : steve b
Merit : 0

PostSubject: fixing seat   Power Seat Problems - Seat Leans or Wont Move - Page 3 EmptySun Feb 20, 2011 2:57 pm

the drivers side seat on my riv has a gangster lean...on one side of the rear part of seat,,after doing some tearing into the seat...i found one of the cables is shot...does anyone know where in the world i could find a replacmnet cable? thanks!
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Power Seat Problems - Seat Leans or Wont Move   Power Seat Problems - Seat Leans or Wont Move - Page 3 EmptySun Feb 20, 2011 6:20 pm

96scriviera wrote:
the drivers side seat on my riv has a gangster lean...on one side of the rear part of seat,,after doing some tearing into the seat...i found one of the cables is shot...does anyone know where in the world i could find a replacmnet cable? thanks!

Maybe - just maybe - moradpartscompany.com -- otherwise you might want to plan to splice in replacement cable. Can you solder?

Albertj
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: Power Seat Problems - Seat Leans or Wont Move   Power Seat Problems - Seat Leans or Wont Move - Page 3 EmptySun Feb 20, 2011 9:28 pm

there are no cables in the Riv seats.They are operated via a long Screw..At least thats the way it is a 95.most likely the screw track is damaged.its a white plastic
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Power Seat Problems - Seat Leans or Wont Move   Power Seat Problems - Seat Leans or Wont Move - Page 3 EmptySun Feb 20, 2011 10:43 pm

robotennis61 wrote:
there are no cables in the Riv seats.They are operated via a long Screw..At least thats the way it is a 95.most likely the screw track is damaged.its a white plastic

I thought he meant the electric cables to the motors.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Power Seat Problems - Seat Leans or Wont Move   Power Seat Problems - Seat Leans or Wont Move - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Power Seat Problems - Seat Leans or Wont Move
Page 3 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next