HomeDashboardFAQSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksMemberlistLog in
Share | 
 

 Power Seat Problems - Seat Leans or Wont Move

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
deekster_caddy
Master


Name : Derek
Age : 45
Location : Reading, MA
Joined : 2007-01-31
Post Count : 7716
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Power Seat Problems - Seat Leans or Wont Move   Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:22 pm

What I read is that the EXIT button just goes all the way down and back, and is not programmable. It's there in the owners manual.

Whoops I see Eldo beat me to it.

edit: NM didn't even see page 2. Oops.
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
avatar

Name : Mark
Location : West Salem, Oregon... FINALLY
Joined : 2009-04-09
Post Count : 3014
Merit : 100

PostSubject: Re: Power Seat Problems - Seat Leans or Wont Move   Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:47 pm

BMD wrote:
Eldo, which one is the MSM?...

(thanks turtleman for the pic wink )

The smaller black box at the top-right is the heater controller, and the larger black box mounted on the metal plate below and to the left is the MSM module. (The white things are the positions sensors.)
Back to top Go down
albertj
Guru
avatar

Name :
Location : Finger Lakes of New York State
Joined : 2007-05-31
Post Count : 6699
Merit : 123

PostSubject: Re: Power Seat Problems - Seat Leans or Wont Move   Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:49 pm

deekster_caddy wrote:
What I read is that the EXIT button just goes all the way down and back, and is not programmable. It's there in the owners manual.

Whoops I see Eldo beat me to it.

edit: NM didn't even see page 2. Oops.

I did some checking - as for the standard installation, I stand corrected. Let me just say I talked with a certain dealer mechanic at lunchtime while out running errands - I'm ordering one of those modules Eldo talked about (or getting a junkyard one) and am going to do some pin-picking probably this weekend. Mine works but is, in fact, not the one that is supposed to be in there and was "hacked" to work. I had no idea. But I'll replace it. Eldo is probably correct about the position sensor.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
avatar

Name : Mark
Location : West Salem, Oregon... FINALLY
Joined : 2009-04-09
Post Count : 3014
Merit : 100

PostSubject: Re: Power Seat Problems - Seat Leans or Wont Move   Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:04 pm

albertj wrote:


I did some checking - as for the standard installation, I stand corrected. Let me just say I talked with a certain dealer mechanic at lunchtime while out running errands - I'm ordering one of those modules Eldo talked about (or getting a junkyard one) and am going to do some pin-picking probably this weekend. Mine works but is, in fact, not the one that is supposed to be in there and was "hacked" to work. I had no idea. But I'll replace it. Eldo is probably correct about the position sensor.

Albertj

How did you find out, did you pull the seat today? And if it's been working, it would be interesting to know what part # it is... Come to think of it, if it's working, why change it - no parallel-park assist?
Back to top Go down
albertj
Guru
avatar

Name :
Location : Finger Lakes of New York State
Joined : 2007-05-31
Post Count : 6699
Merit : 123

PostSubject: Re: Power Seat Problems - Seat Leans or Wont Move   Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:20 pm

Eldo wrote:
albertj wrote:


I did some checking - as for the standard installation, I stand corrected. Let me just say I talked with a certain dealer mechanic at lunchtime while out running errands - I'm ordering one of those modules Eldo talked about (or getting a junkyard one) and am going to do some pin-picking probably this weekend. Mine works but is, in fact, not the one that is supposed to be in there and was "hacked" to work. I had no idea. But I'll replace it. Eldo is probably correct about the position sensor.

Albertj

How did you find out, did you pull the seat today? And if it's been working, it would be interesting to know what part # it is... Come to think of it, if it's working, why change it - no parallel-park assist?

No I was BSing with a dealer mechanic about how UFOs were phreaking car electronics (there supposedly was a UFO sighting in our area the other day) and I mentioned the thread. He mentioned they'd hacked my memory seat module. Did not have to pull the seat, just had to raise it with the seat controls adn look under.

Why replace it? I don't like hacks. And it explains why I'd have problems with it cutting out from time to time (loose connection/chafed wire, whcih they re-taped when I complained about it).

By the way what parallel park assist are you talking about? the Mirror Down or sth. else?

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru


Name : Rick
Age : 58
Location : Lancaster, MA
Joined : 2008-09-13
Post Count : 6081
Merit : 105

PostSubject: Re: Power Seat Problems - Seat Leans or Wont Move   Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:35 pm

Albert, do you know who did the "hacking" on your module.?

I think Eldo was referring to the passenger mirror down as parallel park assist.
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
avatar

Name : Mark
Location : West Salem, Oregon... FINALLY
Joined : 2009-04-09
Post Count : 3014
Merit : 100

PostSubject: Re: Power Seat Problems - Seat Leans or Wont Move   Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:42 pm

Rickw wrote:
Albert, do you know who did the "hacking" on your module.?

I think Eldo was referring to the passenger mirror down as parallel park assist.

Yeah, that's what I was wondering, but I think he just said that he talked to the guy(s) who actually hacked it.

And yes, the passenger side tilt-down is what I meant. As I mentioned a while back, the unit on my brother's '03 Silverado lets you adjust how far down it goes. I don't think either of ours are adjustable in that way, and because mine has the original module problem, it has 2 different angles that it pulls purely at random: too far and not enough... rolleyes
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru


Name : Rick
Age : 58
Location : Lancaster, MA
Joined : 2008-09-13
Post Count : 6081
Merit : 105

PostSubject: Re: Power Seat Problems - Seat Leans or Wont Move   Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:49 pm

I never use the parallel park assist feature to know if it is erratic or consistent.
I find I can back up and park without it.
I just find it to be not in the correct place for me.
If it were adjustable maybe I would use it. But I think I tried it the first week or so after buying the car and have turned it off ever since.
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
avatar

Name : Mark
Location : West Salem, Oregon... FINALLY
Joined : 2009-04-09
Post Count : 3014
Merit : 100

PostSubject: Re: Power Seat Problems - Seat Leans or Wont Move   Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:51 pm

Probably the same problem I have... Sometimes it's nice to see the rear tire, but then you can't see the tree that you're about to hit with the fender.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Guru
avatar

Name :
Location : Finger Lakes of New York State
Joined : 2007-05-31
Post Count : 6699
Merit : 123

PostSubject: Re: Power Seat Problems - Seat Leans or Wont Move   Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:11 pm

Eldo wrote:
Rickw wrote:
Albert, do you know who did the "hacking" on your module.?

I think Eldo was referring to the passenger mirror down as parallel park assist.

Yeah, that's what I was wondering, but I think he just said that he talked to the guy(s) who actually hacked it.

And yes, the passenger side tilt-down is what I meant. As I mentioned a while back, the unit on my brother's '03 Silverado lets you adjust how far down it goes. I don't think either of ours are adjustable in that way, and because mine has the original module problem, it has 2 different angles that it pulls purely at random: too far and not enough... rolleyes

Yes, talked to 'em, see prior post. I ordered parts but am thinking I should have left well enough alone. Thanks again Eldo for the P/N. Although I am feeling stripped, it was almost $300 *after* discount.

I'll try to remember to ask about the mirror-down angle. I would not be surprised to learn it's adjustable via the Tech II - and I will bet that there is some reason they are *not* suppsed to adjust it. Hopefully one of the former GM techs will chime in.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru


Name : Rick
Age : 58
Location : Lancaster, MA
Joined : 2008-09-13
Post Count : 6081
Merit : 105

PostSubject: Re: Power Seat Problems - Seat Leans or Wont Move   Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:52 pm

Albert,
Is there a reason you didn't order from Monsterparts and save almost $100.00 ?
Back to top Go down
albertj
Guru
avatar

Name :
Location : Finger Lakes of New York State
Joined : 2007-05-31
Post Count : 6699
Merit : 123

PostSubject: Re: Power Seat Problems - Seat Leans or Wont Move   Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:29 pm

Rickw wrote:
Albert,
Is there a reason you didn't order from Monsterparts and save almost $100.00 ?


multiple choice (one, any or all) :-)

a) temporary insanity,

b) was down there and did not demur to go order the part

c) 'free' consulting from the dealer to undo the small mess

I have a good relationship with the parts and service part of the dealership. i have little/no reason to think i'd buy a car there, the auto sales side is "typical" and GM's consolidation (leaving them standing) did not help.

albertj
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
avatar

Name : Mark
Location : West Salem, Oregon... FINALLY
Joined : 2009-04-09
Post Count : 3014
Merit : 100

PostSubject: Re: Power Seat Problems - Seat Leans or Wont Move   Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:54 pm

albertj wrote:


Yes, talked to 'em, see prior post. I ordered parts but am thinking I should have left well enough alone. Thanks again Eldo for the P/N. Although I am feeling stripped, it was almost $300 *after* discount.

I'll try to remember to ask about the mirror-down angle. I would not be surprised to learn it's adjustable via the Tech II - and I will bet that there is some reason they are *not* suppsed to adjust it. Hopefully one of the former GM techs will chime in.

Albertj

God knows that they're *not* supposed to do anything that we want them to do, like changing (for the safer) the fan temperature settings...

Yes, it is TOTAL BS that a MSM module should cost nearly as much as a PCM!
My price would've been over $260, and I just wasn't anal enough to pay that much... Between wet weather and getting ready to move, my time to play around in a wrecking yard has been severely curtailed - but I still hope to be able to drive my car up next to the '98 in my nearest yard and use jumper cables and extension cord to pull the manual switch on the side of the seat and power the seat forward, so I can get a (presumably) post-problem module... headbutt
Back to top Go down
Joby70739
Member
avatar

Name : Tori
Age : 41
Location : Louisiana
Joined : 2010-02-10
Post Count : 64
Merit : 4

PostSubject: Power Seat Problems - Seat Leans or Wont Move   Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:11 pm

Is there a chance the back of the seat could be off track? I have to hold pressure forward to get the back to move forward or back. After holding and letting it back as far as it will go you cant push it forward to get in the back seat. I have seen the sticky for removing the seat but if I remove it can this be repaired without replacing the whole seat?
Back to top Go down
albertj
Guru
avatar

Name :
Location : Finger Lakes of New York State
Joined : 2007-05-31
Post Count : 6699
Merit : 123

PostSubject: Re: Power Seat Problems - Seat Leans or Wont Move   Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:54 pm

Are you talking about the recliner or the seat bottom?

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Joby70739
Member
avatar

Name : Tori
Age : 41
Location : Louisiana
Joined : 2010-02-10
Post Count : 64
Merit : 4

PostSubject: Re: Power Seat Problems - Seat Leans or Wont Move   Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:56 pm

Recliner, the bottom works fine.
It wont recline or move back forward unless I push forward on the seat. I was going to take the seat out and see if something came loose but then I was thinking if it did it wouldnt move at all. All the motors are working fine its like the belt/chain whatever moves it is stretched out or not on right. This are just one of the many things I have to fix since I got it back from my son. And thanks because you helped me with the last few problems I have had to fix.
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
avatar

Name : Mark
Location : West Salem, Oregon... FINALLY
Joined : 2009-04-09
Post Count : 3014
Merit : 100

PostSubject: Re: Power Seat Problems - Seat Leans or Wont Move   Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:19 pm

Hmmm, it almost sounds like some problem with the inertial latch for the seat-back...

Unfortunately, I have no info on how those work. But, I CAN tell u that the recliner itself is actually controlled by a pair of worm-drive screws that run along the outer edges of the seat bottom. The recliner motor is down there among the tilt and horizontal motors, and the screws move fore & aft in the seat bottom to control the angle of the seat back...
Back to top Go down
albertj
Guru
avatar

Name :
Location : Finger Lakes of New York State
Joined : 2007-05-31
Post Count : 6699
Merit : 123

PostSubject: Re: Power Seat Problems - Seat Leans or Wont Move   Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:14 pm

Eldo wrote:
Hmmm, it almost sounds like some problem with the inertial latch for the seat-back...

Unfortunately, I have no info on how those work. But, I CAN tell u that the recliner itself is actually controlled by a pair of worm-drive screws that run along the outer edges of the seat bottom. The recliner motor is down there among the tilt and horizontal motors, and the screws move fore & aft in the seat bottom to control the angle of the seat back...

Might have a stripped sprocket or a screw that was taken past its normal travel, as if for instance one tried to recline the seat into being a bed of sorts (they just don't recline that far in this car).

There was one thread or another that showed a seat disassembley, anyone know what it was?

Joby you might wind up getting a working seat shipped from Ed Morad then putting your upholstery on it. Not sure, let's see what others post.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Joby70739
Member
avatar

Name : Tori
Age : 41
Location : Louisiana
Joined : 2010-02-10
Post Count : 64
Merit : 4

PostSubject: Re: Power Seat Problems - Seat Leans or Wont Move   Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:31 pm

I will be redoing the all of the interior in about a month so if it's a new seat I'll wait till then and just deal with it.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Guru
avatar

Name :
Location : Finger Lakes of New York State
Joined : 2007-05-31
Post Count : 6699
Merit : 123

PostSubject: Re: Power Seat Problems - Seat Leans or Wont Move   Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:47 pm

Not necessarily a new seat. With some patience, parts form one GM power seat can often be used on others. It is worth your while to figure out what broke.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
GMFreak8
Addict
avatar

Name : Kyle
Age : 29
Location : Malone, New York
Joined : 2009-03-15
Post Count : 638
Merit : 15

PostSubject: Re: Power Seat Problems - Seat Leans or Wont Move   Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:09 pm

Albert, if you would happen to know what vehicles a lumbar motor could be found in that would replace the one in the Riviera, that would make my day. wink
Back to top Go down
96scriviera
Amateur


Name : steve b
Joined : 2011-02-13
Post Count : 23
Merit : 0

PostSubject: fixing seat   Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:57 pm

the drivers side seat on my riv has a gangster lean...on one side of the rear part of seat,,after doing some tearing into the seat...i found one of the cables is shot...does anyone know where in the world i could find a replacmnet cable? thanks!
Back to top Go down
albertj
Guru
avatar

Name :
Location : Finger Lakes of New York State
Joined : 2007-05-31
Post Count : 6699
Merit : 123

PostSubject: Re: Power Seat Problems - Seat Leans or Wont Move   Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:20 pm

96scriviera wrote:
the drivers side seat on my riv has a gangster lean...on one side of the rear part of seat,,after doing some tearing into the seat...i found one of the cables is shot...does anyone know where in the world i could find a replacmnet cable? thanks!

Maybe - just maybe - moradpartscompany.com -- otherwise you might want to plan to splice in replacement cable. Can you solder?

Albertj
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
avatar

Name : robotennis
Age : 55
Location : las vegas
Joined : 2007-12-17
Post Count : 5559
Merit : 142

PostSubject: Re: Power Seat Problems - Seat Leans or Wont Move   Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:28 pm

there are no cables in the Riv seats.They are operated via a long Screw..At least thats the way it is a 95.most likely the screw track is damaged.its a white plastic
Back to top Go down
albertj
Guru
avatar

Name :
Location : Finger Lakes of New York State
Joined : 2007-05-31
Post Count : 6699
Merit : 123

PostSubject: Re: Power Seat Problems - Seat Leans or Wont Move   Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:43 pm

robotennis61 wrote:
there are no cables in the Riv seats.They are operated via a long Screw..At least thats the way it is a 95.most likely the screw track is damaged.its a white plastic

I thought he meant the electric cables to the motors.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
 
Power Seat Problems - Seat Leans or Wont Move
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Similar topics
-
» Power seat problem
» Heated Seat Problem
» Gel seat coming to market soon, perhaps?
» FAQ: Power Window Problems
» GSX650F POWER AND TORQUE????

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Riviera Performance ::   General Tech :: Interior-
Jump to: