Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Power Seat Problems - Seat Leans or Wont Move

Go down 
+26
cryoburned
DEMonte1997
pbrktrt
Andysdorm
otto95
rk0ehn
flyineagle96
VincentVega
Fastbuick95
BigRay1125
96scriviera
Joby70739
BMD
robotennis61
GMFreak8
T Riley
deekster_caddy
ibmoses
Eldo
Rickw
albertj
rivman96
R1V13RA
BrokenDownInTheYard
blackbart95
SupersportSteve
30 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

Power Seat Problems - Seat Leans or Wont Move - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Power Seat Problems - Seat Leans or Wont Move   Power Seat Problems - Seat Leans or Wont Move - Page 4 EmptySun Feb 20, 2011 10:44 pm

albertj wrote:
robotennis61 wrote:
there are no cables in the Riv seats.They are operated via a long Screw..At least thats the way it is a 95.most likely the screw track is damaged.its a white plastic

I thought he meant the electric cables to the motors.

Albertj

Arent they just gears? I could be wrong....
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Power Seat Problems - Seat Leans or Wont Move   Power Seat Problems - Seat Leans or Wont Move - Page 4 EmptySun Feb 20, 2011 10:46 pm

robotennis61 wrote:
there are no cables in the Riv seats.They are operated via a long Screw..At least thats the way it is a 95.most likely the screw track is damaged.its a white plastic

The motors have wires to them for electricity.

Some people like to put stuff on the floor of the car and slide it under the seats, which is a bad idea in the Riv.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Name : Mark
Merit : 104

PostSubject: Re: Power Seat Problems - Seat Leans or Wont Move   Power Seat Problems - Seat Leans or Wont Move - Page 4 EmptyTue Feb 22, 2011 2:44 am

I'm pretty sure he's referring to the drive-cables at the front of the seat, which transfer force from the motor to the worm-screws that run down the sides of the seat... which would probably best be had at a wrecking yard. I'd bet there are a lot of GM bucket seats that use that system, and a flash light and extension mirror would find 'em before pulling the seat bolts.
Back to top Go down
96scriviera
Amateur

Name : steve b
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: Power Seat Problems - Seat Leans or Wont Move   Power Seat Problems - Seat Leans or Wont Move - Page 4 EmptyTue Feb 22, 2011 3:29 am

Eldo wrote:
I'm pretty sure he's referring to the drive-cables at the front of the seat, which transfer force from the motor to the worm-screws that run down the sides of the seat... which would probably best be had at a wrecking yard. I'd bet there are a lot of GM bucket seats that use that system, and a flash light and extension mirror would find 'em before pulling the seat bolts.
exactly what im talking about lol!!!!!
i think we can fix the ganasta lean without replacing them..t the power recline wont work but at least the seat will sit even
Back to top Go down
BigRay1125
Enthusiast
BigRay1125

Name : Ray
Merit : 5

PostSubject: Power Seat Problems - Seats Wont Move    Power Seat Problems - Seat Leans or Wont Move - Page 4 EmptyTue Mar 01, 2011 8:58 am

In My 95 Riviera The Driver Side Seat Wont Move From The Switch On The Seat But Will Move From The Memory on The Door HELP Is It The Switch On The Seat Or What
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2687212/1995-buick-riviera
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

PostSubject: Re: Power Seat Problems - Seat Leans or Wont Move   Power Seat Problems - Seat Leans or Wont Move - Page 4 EmptyTue Mar 01, 2011 3:47 pm

'95 had a totally different Remote Entry system and may well have a totally different seat/memory system... On my own '97, If the memory functions then all the fuses & breakers are good.

Do none of the manual seat switches work on your car? If so, the only think I can think of is a bad connection or break in the fat red wire that feeds the switch.
Back to top Go down
BigRay1125
Enthusiast
BigRay1125

PostSubject: Re: Power Seat Problems - Seat Leans or Wont Move   Power Seat Problems - Seat Leans or Wont Move - Page 4 EmptyTue Mar 01, 2011 8:13 pm

The Switch Does Nothing Forward Backward Or Recline But If You Press #1 Or #2 On The Door It Will Adjust To Driver 1 & 2 Even The Exit
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

PostSubject: Re: Power Seat Problems - Seat Leans or Wont Move   Power Seat Problems - Seat Leans or Wont Move - Page 4 EmptyTue Mar 01, 2011 8:31 pm

BigRay1125 wrote:
The Switch Does Nothing Forward Backward Or Recline But If You Press #1 Or #2 On The Door It Will Adjust To Driver 1 & 2 Even The Exit

Well, I'd say the recline is the kicker - that one doesn't go through the memory module. So unless the guts of the switch have come apart, you're going to be tracking down the positive feed to the swich. If you have the FSM, get out the schematics to confirm that there is not a fuse that feeds only the switch, otherwise start by removing the switch and testing the feed with a meter or test lamp.

Good luck!
Back to top Go down
BigRay1125
Enthusiast
BigRay1125

PostSubject: Re: Power Seat Problems - Seat Leans or Wont Move   Power Seat Problems - Seat Leans or Wont Move - Page 4 EmptyTue Mar 01, 2011 8:49 pm

Thanx For Your Help I Was Hopeing It Would Be The Switch Easy Fix
Back to top Go down
BigRay1125
Enthusiast
BigRay1125

PostSubject: Re: Power Seat Problems - Seat Leans or Wont Move   Power Seat Problems - Seat Leans or Wont Move - Page 4 EmptyWed Mar 09, 2011 7:41 pm

HEY ELDO IF THE SEAT IS MOVING VIA MEMORY WOULDNT THAT MEAN ITS GETTING POWER ?
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Power Seat Problems - Seat Leans or Wont Move   Power Seat Problems - Seat Leans or Wont Move - Page 4 EmptyWed Mar 09, 2011 9:03 pm

BigRay1125 wrote:

...what you missed is that the memory does not adjust the rake of the seatback. It adjusts the tilt of the seat cushion.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

PostSubject: Re: Power Seat Problems - Seat Leans or Wont Move   Power Seat Problems - Seat Leans or Wont Move - Page 4 EmptyWed Mar 09, 2011 10:13 pm

albertj wrote:
BigRay1125 wrote:

...what you missed is that the memory does not adjust the rake of the seatback. It adjusts the tilt of the seat cushion.

Albertj

Ray- Yes, which is why I said earlier that "On my own '97, If the memory functions then all the fuses & breakers are good."
Therefore the problem has to be with the manual switch or the (+) wire feeding it.

Albert- I didn't miss the recline, I added it to the previous evidence: the memory may work for the other adjustments, but there has to be power to the manual switch to work the recliner... Ergo, the switch or the (+) wire.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Power Seat Problems - Seat Leans or Wont Move   Power Seat Problems - Seat Leans or Wont Move - Page 4 EmptyThu Mar 10, 2011 1:35 pm

Eldo wrote:
albertj wrote:
BigRay1125 wrote:

Albertj

Ray- Yes, which is why I said earlier that "On my own '97, If the memory functions then all the fuses & breakers are good."
Therefore the problem has to be with the manual switch or the (+) wire feeding it.

Albert- I didn't miss the recline, I added it to the previous evidence: the memory may work for the other adjustments, but there has to be power to the manual switch to work the recliner... Ergo, the switch or the (+) wire.

Hi Eldo, you did not miss it, I think Ray inadvertently did. Prolly not important at this point anyway.

do you think that at this point, thing to do is either get the switch out and check the wiring (it's way easier to work on with the switch out) or pull the seat then troubleshoot - problem with pulling the seat is you have to scoot it all the way fwd to expose the bolts. Only 2 hold it in, the front has hooks that engage slots in the floor pan.

Ray if you need more on how to do this troubleshooting you might want to re-post. There was a good pointer I put on this site to another site that taught how to troubleshoot with a multimeter, but I can't find it at the moment. A multimeter will cost less than $30 fro walmart or radioshack.

IIRC the switches can be partly disassembled and may be repairable. Usually worn contacts can be renewed with dots of rosincore solder, and old clotted grease dissolved with deep creep or wd40 and replaced with tune-up grease (the stuff can be purchased in little paks for a buck at most auto parts stores counters).

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

PostSubject: Re: Power Seat Problems - Seat Leans or Wont Move   Power Seat Problems - Seat Leans or Wont Move - Page 4 EmptyThu Mar 10, 2011 2:37 pm

Yes, at this point I still advise pulling the switch & checking both it and the connector for damage.
Also, he can jumper across the connector to test that way as well.
Back to top Go down
BigRay1125
Enthusiast
BigRay1125

PostSubject: Re: Power Seat Problems - Seat Leans or Wont Move   Power Seat Problems - Seat Leans or Wont Move - Page 4 EmptyTue Mar 22, 2011 9:37 pm

Today I Tested The Seat & Its Not The Switch The Switch Isnt Getting Power So I Jumped It To Move It So I Can Remove The Seat To find The Problem ...Sorry I Missed what Y`all Said I Guess i Was Listening Wit My Ears Wide Shut ............Thanx ELDO & albertj
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Power Seat Problems - Seat Leans or Wont Move   Power Seat Problems - Seat Leans or Wont Move - Page 4 EmptyTue Mar 22, 2011 11:11 pm

BigRay1125 wrote:
Today I Tested The Seat & Its Not The Switch The Switch Isnt Getting Power So I Jumped It To Move It So I Can Remove The Seat To find The Problem ...Sorry I Missed what Y`all Said I Guess i Was Listening Wit My Ears Wide Shut ............Thanx ELDO & albertj

You're welcome of course.

Give you a hint. The bundle of wires to the power seat probably got pinched in the seat track at some point, or the wire broke off in the pin connector crimp in one or another side of the connector. Careful visual inspection should reveal the actual problem.

I am *very* glad you found the problem was not the switch - this is why testing is so important.

Now I gotta go pack.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Fastbuick95
Enthusiast
Fastbuick95

Name : Chris Harvey
Merit : 1

PostSubject: Re: Power Seat Problems - Seat Leans or Wont Move   Power Seat Problems - Seat Leans or Wont Move - Page 4 EmptyWed Mar 23, 2011 1:32 pm

I had the same problem, I don't know if it will be as simple as a fix for you, but under the seat, there were wires under my seat that were like twisted up and as soon as I unraveled those wires the seat worked just fine like it should, hope this helps
Back to top Go down
Fastbuick95
Enthusiast
Fastbuick95

Name : Chris Harvey
Merit : 1

PostSubject: Re: Power Seat Problems - Seat Leans or Wont Move   Power Seat Problems - Seat Leans or Wont Move - Page 4 EmptyWed Mar 23, 2011 1:32 pm

Oh, he already said what I did. my bad lol
Back to top Go down
BigRay1125
Enthusiast
BigRay1125

PostSubject: Re: Power Seat Problems - Seat Leans or Wont Move   Power Seat Problems - Seat Leans or Wont Move - Page 4 EmptyWed Mar 23, 2011 3:31 pm

I HOPE IT IS THAT SIMPLE ....THANX
Back to top Go down
VincentVega
Special

Name : Meh

PostSubject: Driver seat works off and on and when not working it beeps & Supercharger Q   Power Seat Problems - Seat Leans or Wont Move - Page 4 EmptyTue Apr 12, 2011 8:25 pm

Hey everyone!

Just bought a 95 Riv today and it has a few issues.

The drivers seat will work and then sometimes it wont. Seems like there is no rhyme or reason for it. Also when it is not working there is a constant, and annoying, beaping or churping coming from under the seat.

I'm thinking maybe a ground? But before I go digging I figured I's ask some fellow owners to see if anyone has had a similar issue.

Second questions is when you get on these cars should you feel the supercharger kick in? I've never had a SC car but I have had turbo fed cars and I could feel the turbo when I got on them.

Thanks for any help or recommendations!
Back to top Go down
flyineagle96
Junkie
flyineagle96

Name : James E
Merit : 23

PostSubject: Re: Power Seat Problems - Seat Leans or Wont Move   Power Seat Problems - Seat Leans or Wont Move - Page 4 EmptyTue Apr 12, 2011 8:29 pm

No spooley in the super charger.......
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: Power Seat Problems - Seat Leans or Wont Move   Power Seat Problems - Seat Leans or Wont Move - Page 4 EmptyWed Apr 13, 2011 12:10 am

My 95 had a similar issue with the seat.Apparently some wiring behind the seat control panel can chafe.unscrew the panel cover and check things out.mine was sparking all over the place.
Back to top Go down
VincentVega
Special

Name : Meh

PostSubject: Re: Power Seat Problems - Seat Leans or Wont Move   Power Seat Problems - Seat Leans or Wont Move - Page 4 EmptyWed Apr 13, 2011 5:34 am

Thanks,

I'll open that up and check it out!
Back to top Go down
rk0ehn
Enthusiast
rk0ehn

Name : Christian Rolf Köhn
Merit : 14

PostSubject: Power Seats Not Working   Power Seat Problems - Seat Leans or Wont Move - Page 4 EmptySat Aug 13, 2011 3:43 pm

I just got a Riviera 1995 Supercharged series I 3 days ago and as I was looking for a Haynes manual desperately online But I had no luck so yesterday I found this helpful forum and looking to find a solution for my problem with my Power Seats.

The problem I have is that they don't work, the car itself is not on very good conditions but I like the car and would like to repair it as much as I can, so the driver side is in a very front position to the point that my knees are very near to the bottom of the dashboard and I can't drive very well, so it will be the very first thing I need to repair.

OK, now the issue here is that the switch is completely broken doesn't work at all not even for trouble shooting, and unfortunately I can't take off the seat because is not forward enough to reach the bolts and I can't access the bottom of it very well, so yesterday the passenger's side was working but as I was looking through the fuse box on the rear seat and I noticed that the PWR ST 25amp CB got very hot and I took it off and tried to put it back in, but it made a spark and I can't use it so obviously there is a very big short, so what I’m trying to do is to get a wiring diagram or if you can tell which wire is the one I can power at the switch (because I was able to open the switch) so the seat can get forward enough so I can take it off and inspect it for any issues.

If you have any ideas on how I can fix my problem I would GREATLY appreciate it happy

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Power Seat Problems - Seat Leans or Wont Move   Power Seat Problems - Seat Leans or Wont Move - Page 4 EmptySat Aug 13, 2011 10:00 pm

First, check the seat power thermal fuses. I bet that one or both of the power seat thermal breakers are very hot. Remove the hot one with a pair of pliers holding it gently so you don't break it and let it cool off.

Nest get a flashlight and look under the seat. Gently pull the wires away from the seat tracks.

When the thermal breakers cool off then try putting them back in and moving the seat switches. They may start working. Even so, DO NOT reinstall the thermal breakers until you check the wires and pull them away from the seat tracks. All they will do is shoot sparks like you noticed. That is - simply removing and reinstalling the breaker will not fix the short circuit. What you are doing is removing the breaker until you actually find the problem cause, so that other electrical stuff does not get messed up in the meantime.

Oh by the way, unless your switch got water/mud in it, the problem's not very likely to be the switch. Because of the way the wires are routed and the tie-downs break, the problem is likely to be the wiring.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Power Seat Problems - Seat Leans or Wont Move   Power Seat Problems - Seat Leans or Wont Move - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Power Seat Problems - Seat Leans or Wont Move
Page 4 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next