HomeDashboardFAQSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksMemberlistLog in
Share | 

Gauge lights

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Dello

Name : justin
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Gauge lights   Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:33 pm

I have a 96 riv and the gauge lights work slightly but go out completly when i turn the headlights on. Anyone deal with this i'd realy like to know what my speed is at night.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Guru

Name :
Merit : 123

PostSubject: Re: Gauge lights   Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:26 am

Dello wrote:
I have a 96 riv and the gauge lights work slightly but go out completly when i turn the headlights on. Anyone deal with this i'd realy like to know what my speed is at night.

Simple stuff first:

I assume you tried adjusting the dimmer? If not, then next time it's dark try. Just turn the headlight knob left and right (it moves pretty easily) to the brightness you want. They should be brightest just before the detent that turns on the interior courtesy lights. The slider on the headlight control adjusts exterior headlamp delay not interior panel brightness. Now, if this works then I need to point out to you that if you do not have an owner's manual I think if you use Google or other search tool you will find a .pdf of one on line. The Buick web site used to have them as well but I don't know anymore. They are still available new, also.

Next thing to try would be to replace the lighting module I suppose, after checking the wiring.

The way it is supposed to work is...

- there's a 10A fuse INT LPS. It should be good or else you'd have no lights at all, you might want to check it though.You can check by swapping it with another known good 10A fuse. Usually you can tell just by looking but once in a while these things will blow and not look it.
- the headlamp switch has a 150 ohm variable resistor connected to a dimmer module. Current from the resistor biases a transitor to do the actual dimming. I suspect that if that transistor has gone bad or if there is a problem in the headlamp switch your instrument lights won't work right.
- trace the gray wire back through the splices and see that you're getting power
- finally, *check the ground* the light control should be grounded at the left front of the passenger compartment under the kick panel trim plate (it is on my 98)

hope this helps

Back to top Go down
Dello

Name : justin
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: Gauge lights   Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:54 pm

Ya Thanks ill try those things. I picked up a new switch from a junk yard ill throw that in and check the grounds.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Guru

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Gauge lights   Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:21 pm

Dello wrote:
Ya Thanks ill try those things. I picked up a new switch from a junk yard ill throw that in and check the grounds.

Actually, it's probably the lighting contorl module or the dimmer module - the switch basically sends a variable voltage signal to the dimmer module, it does not really modulate the lights. I hope your headlight switch swap works but I doubt it will. Do you think you would know for sure if you did the circuit testing and not just replace parts? I think so.

We will see what you find. Good luck.
Back to top Go down
rivy96
Amateur

Name : Matt
Merit : 2

PostSubject: Re: Gauge lights   Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:35 pm

So what was the final result... I'm having the same issue...
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert

Name : Mark
Merit : 100

PostSubject: Re: Gauge lights   Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:03 am

Damn!
I realize the digital displays might need something more than a plain rheostat, but why the hell do they have to add "modules" to something as simple as the gauge lights?
Another great idea from the people that brought you the intake manifold gaskets, door sills and fuel-module lock rings...
Back to top Go down
albertj
Guru

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Gauge lights   Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:40 am

Eldo wrote:
Damn!
I realize the digital displays might need something more than a plain rheostat, but why the hell do they have to add "modules" to something as simple as the gauge lights?
Another great idea from the people that brought you the intake manifold gaskets, door sills and fuel-module lock rings...
The module lets the BCM control the dash lights so that for instance if you turn them on during the day they *don't* dim the radio display. You can use the same signal, effectively, to modulate the brightness of the incandescent (dash gauges) and vac fluorescent (shift indicator, odometer, radio, hvac head) displays.

That said they could have simply controlled the incandescents directly and read the voltage somewhere (Stick a relatively high resistor in parallel with the bulbs and read voltage there) and used that voltage signal to modulate the brightness of the fluorescents. The solution they used was probably fewer parts/fewer failure points, if not cheaper in $$.
Back to top Go down
c0reyl
Addict

Name : Corey
Merit : 2

PostSubject: Re: Gauge lights   Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:06 pm

Eldo wrote:
Damn!

I never got the point of a manifold gasket if it's an upper intake manifold. It's just air, so why would you need a $50 piece of plastic with a plenum shaped o ring on it to change a manifold? Couldn't they have just made santoprene linings on manifolds with a better flow design like the Holden intake runners? I want a Holden intake :c

Anyway is that fuse next to the door or under the seat?
Back to top Go down

Gauge lights
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1