Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Air bag light question?

Go down 
+2
Abaddon
98RIV7777
6 posters
AuthorMessage
98RIV7777
Fanatic
98RIV7777

Name : Anthony
Merit : 1

Air bag light question? Empty
PostSubject: Air bag light question?   Air bag light question? EmptyTue Mar 15, 2011 12:09 am

My air bag light was on today when I started the car and while I was driving. Kind of made me nervous. I turned off the car and started it a few times to see if it would cycle it self off. It still stays on, just wont turn off, its making me nervous and Im kind of affraid of a malfunction or something and it popping out on me for no reason:/ Aso I do have a obdII scanner but I dont know if I can read Air Bag codes with it, and again Im nervous of somehow making it, or both of them going off. Any and all help is greatly appriciated:)
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: Air bag light question?   Air bag light question? EmptyTue Mar 15, 2011 9:24 am

Your airbags aren't going to blow out on you. You will need a "good" scanner (not a code reader) to pull SRS codes.

A lot of times, the connectors under the dash acquire some corrosion causing the code(s) to set. Most of the time, you can simply disconnect and reconnect those connections and solve your problem. But, we won't know if this is the case until you pull and post the codes. I forgot the exact code(s), but it reads something like Driver or Passenger Deployment Loop High Voltage or High Resistance. These codes are victims of corroded connectors.

Again, obtain the codes if you can.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 251

PostSubject: Re: Air bag light question?   Air bag light question? EmptyTue Mar 15, 2011 10:16 am

Only time the airbag lamp has illuminated in my car was when the alternator (regulator) failed and produced high voltage (~17 volts). The lamp came on randomly a day or two before other odd things started happening, and finally the car's electronics went bonkers. Maybe worth a quick voltage check?

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
black shadow
Enthusiast
black shadow

Name : walter
Merit : 2

PostSubject: Re: Air bag light question?   Air bag light question? EmptyWed Mar 16, 2011 3:00 pm

when you start the car and all of the lights come on does your airbag light cycle at all or does it just come on and stay right on?
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Air bag light question?   Air bag light question? EmptyWed Mar 16, 2011 4:08 pm

black shadow wrote:
when you start the car and all of the lights come on does your airbag light cycle at all or does it just come on and stay right on?

pretty much all the idiot lights cycles during the initial self-test... if airbag light is staying on do you think you should check the connections per wiring diagram/location diagrams in the FSM. Do you have a diagram?

Albertj
Back to top Go down
black shadow
Enthusiast
black shadow

PostSubject: Re: Air bag light question?   Air bag light question? EmptyWed Mar 16, 2011 4:39 pm

when you turn the key on the airbag light is supposed to flash 7 times and then go out and stay out if it flashes and then stays on then turn it off and turn it back on and count the flashes and which ever number that is is what is causing it to stay on
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: Air bag light question?   Air bag light question? EmptyWed Mar 16, 2011 5:09 pm

black shadow wrote:
when you turn the key on the airbag light is supposed to flash 7 times and then go out and stay out if it flashes and then stays on then turn it off and turn it back on and count the flashes and which ever number that is is what is causing it to stay on

No. You are thinking of Fords? Fords do that. The Riviera simply stays on if there is a problem....it will flash 7 times regardless of problems or not. All SIR DTC's are stored in the SDM and can't be retrieved without a scan tool.
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Name : Mark
Merit : 104

PostSubject: Re: Air bag light question?   Air bag light question? EmptyWed Mar 16, 2011 5:47 pm

Abaddon is right about needing a 'good' scanner to get into the subsystem codes, like ABS & SIR.
Having said that, my first thought would be to check the air bag fuse in the IP fuse panel.
Back to top Go down
black shadow
Enthusiast
black shadow

PostSubject: Re: Air bag light question?   Air bag light question? EmptyThu Mar 17, 2011 7:16 pm

well all I now is that when I changed all of the airbags in my car I didn't change the arming switch and when I turned on the key it flashed 6 times and then stayed on and so I had it scanned and he told me that it was because of the arming switch and then he printed out a guide that told me what the codes were from 1-7 and the arming switch was # 6 and then he printed out the area where the arming switch was to replace it which was wrong but I found it anyway and changed it and then the light flashed 7 times and then went out and all is well.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Air bag light question?   Air bag light question? Empty

Back to top Go down

Air bag light question?
Page 1 of 1