Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Decision Time and Some Help on $$ Prices $$

Go down 
+4
Riv95SC
sburch23
albertj
Natesriv
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Natesriv
Addict
Natesriv

Name : Nate
Merit : 16

Decision Time and Some Help on $$ Prices $$ Empty
PostSubject: Decision Time and Some Help on $$ Prices $$   Decision Time and Some Help on $$ Prices $$ EmptySun Mar 20, 2011 5:57 pm

Okay, sorry Moderator, but I'm kinda all over the place on this post...

Decision time on the Riv...I've got some repairs needing to be done and some cosmetic stuff to finalize too. BUT, I need some thoughts as to the worth and cost associated with some of this...hence...the experts on Riv Performance!

* I think I need a new A/C compressor. Last summer it took quite awhile to cool down. The center vent never got real cold, but the sides did (I suspect I have a bad HVAC actuator and one door is in the wrong spot...easy fix) but today it's warm'ish on all vents...should be far colder.. Have noticed oil on the underside of the compressor...foul tasting oil.. I suspect the compressor is gettng ready to kaput. Looks like Rock Auto has a rebuilt unit around $162. No biggie.... Hard to have installed? Major $$$ ????

* Possibly ball joint or tie rod...struts are new'ish, but I have a wobble on sweeing left curves...suspect ball joint. $$ ??? (tires new too)

*Traction Light and Antilock lights on. I have a spare EBTCM and I suspect I may have a bad wheel hub.. ???

* Body work, needs paint bad...I have pearl white paint and whole car needs it... Anyone ever had their Riv painted?? I know pearl is expensive. But it's in dire need. the hood has bad delamination..

And last year I put a new (used) S/C in it. Runs fine, but I suspected worse gas mileage (somewhere on here is a post for how I changed the S/C)... So I did the freeway loop at 65mpg and got 27.19 mpg...so I think that's acceptable... What are you guys getting for freeway MPG??

AND SO THE FINAL QUESTION
I'm thinking close to $2k for paint, and possibly $1.5K in other repairs...that's still far cheaper than a new car...but she is 15-16 years old...and parts are still there, but exterior stuff & such...

BUT...I was gassing her up today before the MPG check...man there's no other car on the road guys like this.. A big Amercian brute with power and soft leather, room for 4 comfortably....I love it!!

Suppose I'm asking, would you sink another possible $3k into your Riv???

Decision Time and Some Help on $$ Prices $$ Standard

Albertj I welcome your expert opinion!!!
Back to top Go down
Natesriv
Addict
Natesriv

PostSubject: Re: Decision Time and Some Help on $$ Prices $$   Decision Time and Some Help on $$ Prices $$ EmptySun Mar 20, 2011 5:59 pm

BTW this is my other car... The 2004 Si...nice, fast as sh_t, but it's too "roller skatish"...the seat is too narrow for long days....
Decision Time and Some Help on $$ Prices $$ Standard
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Decision Time and Some Help on $$ Prices $$   Decision Time and Some Help on $$ Prices $$ EmptySun Mar 20, 2011 7:08 pm

do you think you want to keep the Riv more than a year or two?
Back to top Go down
sburch23
Addict
sburch23

Name : Scott
Merit : 14

PostSubject: Re: Decision Time and Some Help on $$ Prices $$   Decision Time and Some Help on $$ Prices $$ EmptySun Mar 20, 2011 8:38 pm

$3k is cheap compared to even a older used car.
Back to top Go down
Natesriv
Addict
Natesriv

PostSubject: Re: Decision Time and Some Help on $$ Prices $$   Decision Time and Some Help on $$ Prices $$ EmptySun Mar 20, 2011 8:39 pm

more important.....would the fixes last more than 2 years?
Back to top Go down
Riv95SC
Enthusiast
Riv95SC

Name : Riv95SC
Merit : 6

PostSubject: Re: Decision Time and Some Help on $$ Prices $$   Decision Time and Some Help on $$ Prices $$ EmptySun Mar 20, 2011 9:47 pm

No need to ask if I'd sink more than $3K into my Riv--I've done it!

I had the paint debate with myself just like you. Mine had pretty bad delam, but mostly on the roof and rear fenders. In the end I got a good, medium-quality Maaco job, with pinstripes, for a bit over $800. That's only a single layer, with no clearcoat, and i have the regular white, not pearlescent. After two years, it's holding up fine.

Image hosted by servimg.com

The repairs you outline are major components I've also replaced and definitely should last more than two years in my experience--a/c compressor, struts, etc. Ditto the used S/C. I won't say what might be up with your warning lights, though--I haven't had that issue. Your highway mileage is about what I get, so I see no indication of problems there.

Your car looks pretty much worth the investment to me, However, as the other posters note, how long do you want to keep the car, and what's the price for replacing it? In the end, you just gotta make the call.

Keep us posted on what you decide!
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Decision Time and Some Help on $$ Prices $$   Decision Time and Some Help on $$ Prices $$ EmptySun Mar 20, 2011 9:52 pm

Natesriv wrote:
more important.....would the fixes last more than 2 years?

it depends on how they are done and how the car is used. winter exposure to salt and such will cost longevity. Parking outdoors versus in a garage will cost from the sun beating down on everything.

Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Name : Mark
Merit : 104

PostSubject: Re: Decision Time and Some Help on $$ Prices $$   Decision Time and Some Help on $$ Prices $$ EmptySun Mar 20, 2011 11:06 pm

- Yes, I would spend that much.

- 27 MPG is exactly what I've always gotten. thumbsup

- While they work well and save fuel, these V-5 pumps are known to blow seals, so I think you're right about the compressor going away. I'd get a price from a (local, long-time) A/C shop for this job... They know the tricks to make the job less miserable, plus you have to go to them for the sucking & filling anyway.
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

Merit : 105

PostSubject: Re: Decision Time and Some Help on $$ Prices $$   Decision Time and Some Help on $$ Prices $$ EmptyTue Mar 22, 2011 4:34 pm

Changing my compressor only cost $45/labor.
Back to top Go down
nebstewart07
Fanatic
nebstewart07

Name : Ben Stewart
Merit : 6

PostSubject: Re: Decision Time and Some Help on $$ Prices $$   Decision Time and Some Help on $$ Prices $$ EmptyWed Mar 23, 2011 1:31 pm

Since you live in kcmo i have the guy doing my car pm me if you wanna know price. He is about an hour and a half from you. i can give you his number too
Back to top Go down
ghpcnm
Aficionado
ghpcnm

Name : Dave
Merit : 23

PostSubject: Re: Decision Time and Some Help on $$ Prices $$   Decision Time and Some Help on $$ Prices $$ EmptyWed Mar 23, 2011 4:32 pm

Damn right I would invest the $$$$. Your Rivi is a much more classy car than that skate. If your interior is in good shape that's even more reason to put extra $ into it. I say...GO FOR IT !!! burnout
Back to top Go down
http://www.americantorque.com/page/0/1189/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Decision Time and Some Help on $$ Prices $$   Decision Time and Some Help on $$ Prices $$ Empty

Back to top Go down

Decision Time and Some Help on $$ Prices $$
Page 1 of 1