Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Supercharger not working WTF

Go down 
+8
turtleman
DEMonte1997
jonly
BMD
Hometown Hero
Drivinmofo
12 posters
AuthorMessage
Drivinmofo
Special

Name : Ronnie
Merit : 0

Supercharger not working WTF Empty
PostSubject: Supercharger not working WTF   Supercharger not working WTF EmptyFri Apr 08, 2011 5:25 pm

Hey guys Im new to the forum... i recently bought a 95 Riviera that needed a lil work, Ive been fixing things here and there but i cant figure out why the charger isnt working no whining noise at all when i get in it. any ideas please help!
Back to top Go down
Hometown Hero
Junkie
Hometown Hero

Name : Klix
Merit : 16

PostSubject: Re: Supercharger not working WTF   Supercharger not working WTF EmptyFri Apr 08, 2011 5:29 pm

If its functional but not whining while it idles thats to be expected. You really only hear the whine of the sc in these cars when hard on the throttle.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Supercharger not working WTF   Supercharger not working WTF EmptyFri Apr 08, 2011 5:47 pm

Hometown Hero wrote:
If its functional but not whining while it idles thats to be expected. You really only hear the whine of the sc in these cars when hard on the throttle.
Not only that but each blower (supercharger) sounds a little different.

I mean, check the air cleaner box and make sure it's closed right (and that it indeed has an air filter in it) and check the air intake horn... but it's not a given that the blower whines when you get it it (unlike a turbocharger, which almost always does.

Also, even when they are fully working they are not that loud, you won't hear it over your radio nor over the ambient road noise and wind rush on the passenger compartment if you are cruising.

Just for fun you can slip the belt off the supercharger and flick the pulley fast by hand. It shoud huff a little, if it is quiet enough you may be able to hear it.

bounce
Back to top Go down
Drivinmofo
Special

PostSubject: Re: Supercharger not working WTF   Supercharger not working WTF EmptyFri Apr 08, 2011 5:58 pm

Thanks for the help I will take the belt off and try that....I had an 04 cobra with the same kind of super charger on it, and ive drove a couple of GTP's so i know what its supposed to sound like, and there is nothing there its like the blower is just acting like an intake...
Back to top Go down

Name : Andrew
Merit : 123

PostSubject: Re: Supercharger not working WTF   Supercharger not working WTF EmptyFri Apr 08, 2011 6:11 pm

I'd find yourself a boost gauge and see if its making any boost. The control solenoid can go on them causing it to make

Aficionado
BMD

Name : BMD
Merit : 36

PostSubject: Re: Supercharger not working WTF   Supercharger not working WTF EmptyFri Apr 08, 2011 10:33 pm

Karma wrote:
I'd find yourself a boost gauge and see if its making any boost. The control solenoid can go on them causing it to make

Where is the solenoid located?
Back to top Go down
jonly
Enthusiast
jonly

Name : james
Merit : 9

PostSubject: Re: Supercharger not working WTF   Supercharger not working WTF EmptyFri Apr 08, 2011 11:03 pm

bypass valve failed on mine also and caused some problems like this.
Back to top Go down
DEMonte1997
Aficionado
DEMonte1997

Name : Rick
Merit : 37

PostSubject: Re: Supercharger not working WTF   Supercharger not working WTF EmptyFri Apr 08, 2011 11:12 pm

You won't hear the blower much on any L67 with a stock air box. With an open cone, things are a little different though. smile
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Supercharger not working WTF   Supercharger not working WTF EmptySat Apr 09, 2011 5:09 pm

DEMonte1997 wrote:
You won't hear the blower much on any L67 with a stock air box. With an open cone, things are a little different though. smile

thanks rick I forgot to mention that -- the stock air box has a trick muffler that cuts air flow a little but cuts sound a *lot* - many people "gut the air box" (just means remove the muffler) to get a little more HP. And as it turns out a lot more noise.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Drivinmofo
Special

PostSubject: Re: Supercharger not working WTF   Supercharger not working WTF EmptySun Apr 10, 2011 5:06 pm

well i took the belt off and i can hear the blower huffing and there is very little play in the pulley so Ive got a boost solenoid on order...hopefully that will work.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Supercharger not working WTF   Supercharger not working WTF EmptySun Apr 10, 2011 10:04 pm

Drivinmofo wrote:
well i took the belt off and i can hear the blower huffing and there is very little play in the pulley so Ive got a boost solenoid on order...hopefully that will work.

Keep in mind I recommended checking with a boost gauge(should be 6 ish PSI stock) first before throwing parts at it. As other have pointed out, the stock air intake tube does quite a job of removing any blower whine.

Expert
turtleman

Name : Codith
Merit : 140

PostSubject: Re: Supercharger not working WTF   Supercharger not working WTF EmptySun Apr 10, 2011 10:10 pm

Drivinmofo wrote:

The way that the solenoid works, it has to energize to allow boost. You can just try bypassing it. Basically just disconnect it from both the s/c and the actuator and then obviously cap off the line it was connected to on the blower. Like Karma said, see if you can check boost to get a positive answer but you definitely should feel the difference between boost and no.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Supercharger not working WTF   Supercharger not working WTF EmptySun Apr 10, 2011 10:13 pm

Did the '95 air boxes offer the same degree of silencing as the '96-up? I thought the Series SC had less restriction on the intake and were louder under throttle. Can anyone with a '95 confirm?

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4

PostSubject: Re: Supercharger not working WTF   Supercharger not working WTF EmptySun Apr 10, 2011 10:17 pm

The 95 had less restriction, but the exact same silencers... Basically a pre-gutted air box.

Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: Supercharger not working WTF   Supercharger not working WTF EmptySun Apr 10, 2011 11:30 pm

I guess the point I was going for, those restrictive plates in the airbox are silencers, too. When I gutted mine, it got louder even with the stock tube & resonators still in place. That led me to believe a stock '95 had a louder whine than a stock Series II SC engine. Also the '95 pulley is smaller, so should be more noticeable in stock form. He should be hearing some whine even with the stock intake, imo.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
Derek
Fanatic

Name : Derek
Merit : 10

PostSubject: Re: Supercharger not working WTF   Supercharger not working WTF EmptyMon Apr 11, 2011 4:18 pm

The whine on a bone stock 95 is not very noticeable unless you know what you're listening for. Yes there is less restrictions in the airbox then the 96-up as there is only the resonator and no other silencers, but it doesn't really come on strong until about 3k at wide open throttle. Most of the time it just sounds like engine noise, especially if you have the windows up. Even with the resonator removed its not exceedingly loud but it does become more noticeable. Credit gm engineers with a point for noise insulation, tho I read an article once saying that 75-80% of ppl who bought a 95 riv new were 65 and up so I almost don't know why they bothered lol. Seriously tho before I removed the resonator on my 95 I had to have the window wide open and almost lean out a little to hear it well.
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: Supercharger not working WTF   Supercharger not working WTF EmptyMon Apr 11, 2011 4:30 pm

Mine is really loud after removing the air box.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Supercharger not working WTF   Supercharger not working WTF EmptyMon Apr 11, 2011 4:55 pm

... mine also is loud. cool

Aficionado
DEMonte1997

Name : Rick
Merit : 37

PostSubject: Re: Supercharger not working WTF   Supercharger not working WTF EmptyMon Apr 11, 2011 8:05 pm

With the 3.4 pully and an open cone I can hear mine anything past 2300 rpms. smile
Back to top Go down
Z-type
Aficionado
Z-type

Name : Andrew Zamiska
Merit : 63

PostSubject: Re: Supercharger not working WTF   Supercharger not working WTF EmptyMon Apr 11, 2011 11:30 pm

My 'charger was pretty nice with just a K&N drop-in, then when I switched to a FWI it got louder still. It was a pretty impressive sound inside tunnels. Couldn't hear a thing before the K&N's.
Back to top Go down
Drivinmofo
Special

PostSubject: Re: Supercharger not working WTF   Supercharger not working WTF EmptyWed May 04, 2011 1:48 pm

Ok, I got the blower problem solved but the car still has no power....Ive replaced the cat, plugs, plug wires, o2 sensor, boost solenoid. Any ideas??? I also took the blower off and cleaned all the carbon out thinking that would be the problem and of course that didnt work.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: Supercharger not working WTF   Supercharger not working WTF EmptyWed May 04, 2011 2:13 pm

So what was wrong with the blower?

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
Drivinmofo
Special

PostSubject: Re: Supercharger not working WTF   Supercharger not working WTF EmptyWed May 04, 2011 2:39 pm

Boost solenoid...I can definitely hear it now
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Supercharger not working WTF   Supercharger not working WTF EmptyWed May 04, 2011 2:53 pm

Karma wrote:
I'd find yourself a boost gauge and see if its making any boost. The control solenoid can go on them causing it to make half the boost it should, which results in half the noise. With the factory intake it would probably sound like nothing if this was the case.

Hah! I totally called that!

And response to the lack of power, might need to scan it to see if you are getting any KR, or it could be that the transmission is just slipping and eating all your power. Old car.. wearing transmission.

PostSubject: Re: Supercharger not working WTF   Supercharger not working WTF Empty

Back to top Go down

Supercharger not working WTF
Page 1 of 1