Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Smell under hard acceleration?

Go down 
+7
robotennis61
Eldo
Riv95SC
DEMonte1997
albertj
Mr.Riviera
jlaw
11 posters
AuthorMessage
jlaw
jlaw

Name : Jay
Merit : 2

Smell under hard acceleration? Empty
PostSubject: Smell under hard acceleration?   Smell under hard acceleration? EmptyFri Apr 22, 2011 10:44 pm

So I took the 98 Riv out to drive hard on the highway for the first time today. Love the ride, had a great cruise to the beach, but every time I accelerated quickly I could smell something.... It was only while accelerating and it went away almost right after. It smelled like burnt something, but not burning oil. I'm thinking either catalytic converter or torque converter. Any thoughts or tips?
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

PostSubject: Re: Smell under hard acceleration?   Smell under hard acceleration? EmptyFri Apr 22, 2011 10:50 pm

need more info than that.
Was the A/C on? Were the windows down? Was the smell like something burnt or something rotten? Did you see any smoke from under the hood? Did anything look out of place under the hood? (ie belts)

Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Smell under hard acceleration?   Smell under hard acceleration? EmptyFri Apr 22, 2011 11:41 pm

jlaw wrote:
So I took the 98 Riv out to drive hard on the highway for the first time today. Love the ride, had a great cruise to the beach, but every time I accelerated quickly I could smell something.... It was only while accelerating and it went away almost right after. It smelled like burnt something, but not burning oil. I'm thinking either catalytic converter or torque converter. Any thoughts or tips?

No.

But have you checked your valve covers?

Back to top Go down
jlaw
jlaw

PostSubject: Re: Smell under hard acceleration?   Smell under hard acceleration? EmptySat Apr 23, 2011 12:01 am

A/c was off, belts are good, everything looks fine under the hood. I'd say burnt more than rotten. No smoke but I only caught the smell at highway speeds, I wouldn't have seen a little smoke. I'll have a look at the valve covers tomorrow but I gave it a good look before I bought it and couldn't see any leaks. Checked the tranny fluid and it seems normal, no wierd smell or dipstick sludge.
Back to top Go down
DEMonte1997
Aficionado
DEMonte1997

Name : Rick
Merit : 37

PostSubject: Re: Smell under hard acceleration?   Smell under hard acceleration? EmptySat Apr 23, 2011 3:02 am

I'm guessing valve covers too. If you're saying this on hard acceleration, there's a good chance it could be the rear VC.... which you wouldn't see a leak from.
Back to top Go down
jlaw
jlaw

PostSubject: Re: Smell under hard acceleration?   Smell under hard acceleration? EmptySat Apr 23, 2011 11:32 am

So how much of my engine do I have to dismantle to change it?
Back to top Go down
jlaw
jlaw

PostSubject: Re: Smell under hard acceleration?   Smell under hard acceleration? EmptySat Apr 23, 2011 1:55 pm

So, pulled the engine cover, took it for a rip (I do love this car) and tried to recreate the issue. Didn't get the smell in the cabin this time but I checked under the hood and it looks like a small amount of clean oil is on the rear engine cover mount, down near the rear valve cover. I guess this must be the source. Looks like I'd have to pull the fuel injection to change the gasket? I'm gonna leave it until I'm ready to do a few upgrades I think, it definitely doesn't look serious.

I also noted that there was actually more oil in the motor than neccesary, maybe an extra pint more - I drained it a bit - it's obviously had a fresh, but sloppy oil change right before purchase. I wonder if the excess oil caused the issue?
Back to top Go down
Riv95SC
Enthusiast
Riv95SC

Name : Riv95SC
Merit : 6

PostSubject: Re: Smell under hard acceleration?   Smell under hard acceleration? EmptySat Apr 23, 2011 5:11 pm

I had this too. Turned out apparently a transmission mount was cracking and starting to move around--must have been the friction. When it finally broke, it was obvious what was wrong, and the smell went away after it was replaced.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Smell under hard acceleration?   Smell under hard acceleration? EmptySat Apr 23, 2011 10:03 pm

I am stumped, and I think you should consider taking it to a mechanic.
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Name : Mark
Merit : 104

PostSubject: Re: Smell under hard acceleration?   Smell under hard acceleration? EmptySun Apr 24, 2011 1:20 am

I wouldn't worry... You've found a little leakage AND an overfilled crankcase. Add into this the fact that WOT runs generally burn crap out of the exhaust system, and without having first-hand (first-nose?) experience I'd say that you're probably smelling good ol' carbon burnoff.
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: Smell under hard acceleration?   Smell under hard acceleration? EmptySun Apr 24, 2011 1:50 am

Oh the joys of WOT!!!
Back to top Go down
jlaw
jlaw

PostSubject: Re: Smell under hard acceleration?   Smell under hard acceleration? EmptySun Apr 24, 2011 5:56 pm

After some more monitoring I'm really not worried. Good point about burnoff who knows how often this thing was opened up by the previous owner. Not getting the smell now so it really might have been the extra oil.
Back to top Go down
mike97
Rookie

Name : mike
Merit : 1

PostSubject: what the smell !   Smell under hard acceleration? EmptyMon May 14, 2012 6:14 pm

any more regarding odor? I get slight foul odor only with wot & roof open.
seems to come through roof and reminds me of bad catalytic converter.
I dont seam to have any performance problems or exaust leaks.
any ideas?
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: Smell under hard acceleration?   Smell under hard acceleration? EmptyMon May 14, 2012 7:21 pm

I crap in my pants when I take a corner too fast.maybe its happening to you too?
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 251

PostSubject: Re: Smell under hard acceleration?   Smell under hard acceleration? EmptyMon May 14, 2012 7:40 pm

lmfao lmfao lmfao lmfao lmfao

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
IBx1
Expert
IBx1

Name : ILAN
Merit : 69

PostSubject: Re: Smell under hard acceleration?   Smell under hard acceleration? EmptyMon May 14, 2012 8:19 pm

mike97 wrote:
any more regarding odor? I get slight foul odor only with wot & roof open.
seems to come through roof and reminds me of bad catalytic converter.
I dont seam to have any performance problems or exaust leaks.
any ideas?

Mike? Is that who I think it is?
Back to top Go down
mike97
Rookie

PostSubject: smel under hard acceleration   Smell under hard acceleration? EmptyMon May 14, 2012 11:41 pm

nope.. got my gramps pants on and their leak proof!
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: Smell under hard acceleration?   Smell under hard acceleration? EmptyTue May 15, 2012 12:14 am

haha lol
Back to top Go down
IBx1
Expert
IBx1

Name : ILAN
Merit : 69

PostSubject: Re: Smell under hard acceleration?   Smell under hard acceleration? EmptyTue May 15, 2012 12:51 am

One of my friends from grade school with a Riv is named Mike, he has a white one in Yorktown, and I used to have the blue one. Not sure if you ever saw either of us going around!
Back to top Go down
mike97
Rookie

PostSubject: smell under hard acceleration   Smell under hard acceleration? EmptyTue May 15, 2012 3:10 pm

Have seen a few around. met an nice older woman last week
driving a very clean white super charged riv. she said she
liked and cleaned it alot.
Back to top Go down
mike97
Rookie

PostSubject: what the smell !!   Smell under hard acceleration? EmptySun Jun 24, 2012 1:00 am

found the oder problem !
slight amount of gas is leaking around fuel module on top of gas tank. under normal conditions,gas just evaporated or dripped off side of tank to ground unnoticed.
found at speed with wot gas was hitting exhaust and muffler making the stink. under the right conditions when the roof happened to be open the oder was entering the cabin.
now the major problem !! the leak , its from the fuel module seal. the lock ring and tank lock ring tabs have rusted away enough to loosen and cause the leak.
I was going to replace lock ring and seal until I cleaned the area and found condition of the tank tabs . would any one have any fixes short of replacing the tank or
is tank the ONLY way to go? alot of work on the garage floor ! help
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Smell under hard acceleration?   Smell under hard acceleration? EmptySun Jun 24, 2012 2:51 pm

mike97 wrote:
found the oder problem !
slight amount of gas is leaking around fuel module on top of gas tank. under normal conditions,gas just evaporated or dripped off side of tank to ground unnoticed.
found at speed with wot gas was hitting exhaust and muffler making the stink. under the right conditions when the roof happened to be open the oder was entering the cabin.
now the major problem !! the leak , its from the fuel module seal. the lock ring and tank lock ring tabs have rusted away enough to loosen and cause the leak.
I was going to replace lock ring and seal until I cleaned the area and found condition of the tank tabs . would any one have any fixes short of replacing the tank or
is tank the ONLY way to go? alot of work on the garage floor ! help

well, at least you can get a replacement tank, they were Unobtainium for a while.

There was another thread on this site posted by a member who fabbed a repair to that lock ring, but I can't find it. Maybe another member bookmarked it?
Back to top Go down
Jamax
Enthusiast

Name : Jim Fleck
Merit : 8

PostSubject: Re: Smell under hard acceleration?   Smell under hard acceleration? EmptyMon Jun 25, 2012 12:32 pm

If what I found is the answer, it's not surprising that Albert (one of the sharpest guys on this site) couldn't find it. Try this:
N/A 3800 Tech: Write-Up: Fuel Pump/ Sending Unit (N/A Series II)
7 pages. Start on p3. Looks as if this might have the answer.
Of course the N/A uses a different capacity pump, but that wouldn't come into play for this fix.
Best of luck.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Smell under hard acceleration?   Smell under hard acceleration? EmptyMon Jun 25, 2012 12:37 pm

Jamax wrote:
If what I found is the answer, it's not surprising that Albert (one of the sharpest guys on this site) couldn't find it. Try this:
N/A 3800 Tech: Write-Up: Fuel Pump/ Sending Unit (N/A Series II)
7 pages. Start on p3. Looks as if this might have the answer.
Of course the N/A uses a different capacity pump, but that wouldn't come into play for this fix.
Best of luck.

Thanks, I need to navigate thru the writeups some more, great info there. Missed it with the Search function.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Smell under hard acceleration?   Smell under hard acceleration? Empty

Back to top Go down

Smell under hard acceleration?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Riv Performance ::   General Tech :: Care & Maintenance-
Jump to: