Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Trunk Weatherstrip

Go down 
+3
albertj
Eldo
BMD
7 posters
AuthorMessage
BMD
Aficionado
BMD

Name : BMD
Merit : 36

Trunk Weatherstrip Empty
PostSubject: Trunk Weatherstrip   Trunk Weatherstrip EmptyTue Apr 26, 2011 2:18 pm

Can you use a generic type or must it be OEM replacement?
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Name : Mark
Merit : 104

Trunk Weatherstrip Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trunk Weatherstrip   Trunk Weatherstrip EmptyTue Apr 26, 2011 8:08 pm

OEM is best of course, and Morad surely has some decent ones... For generics, you'd need to take a picture of the cross section of your strip for reference and see what they have for GM applications.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

Trunk Weatherstrip Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trunk Weatherstrip   Trunk Weatherstrip EmptyTue Apr 26, 2011 8:49 pm

BMD wrote:
Can you use a generic type or must it be OEM replacement?

I purchased an OE trunk strip from GMPartsDirect some months ago (almost 2 yrs ago), it was not that expensive you ought to consider just buying it that way, maybe buy it from monsterpartsonline.com b/c they won't rook you on shipping.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
BMD
Aficionado
BMD

Name : BMD
Merit : 36

Trunk Weatherstrip Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trunk Weatherstrip   Trunk Weatherstrip EmptyTue Apr 26, 2011 10:15 pm

Thanks guys, GMPartsDirect doesn't ship to Canada. I'll check monsterpartsonline.com and also see what the dealer is charging these days.
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Name : Mark
Merit : 104

Trunk Weatherstrip Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trunk Weatherstrip   Trunk Weatherstrip EmptyTue Apr 26, 2011 11:15 pm

Morad ships to Canada, but I think only by Priority Mail.
Back to top Go down
joshuatim
Special

Name : Joshua timber
Merit : -5

Trunk Weatherstrip Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trunk Weatherstrip   Trunk Weatherstrip EmptyWed Aug 03, 2011 2:58 pm

OEM are not always best. I am not referring any company but the companies who provide OEM products most of them do not make themselves. They also hire some third parties to manufacture for them and they just put their brand name on them.
Back to top Go down
http://www.engineperformancechip.com
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

Trunk Weatherstrip Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trunk Weatherstrip   Trunk Weatherstrip EmptyWed Aug 03, 2011 3:09 pm

joshuatim wrote:
OEM are not always best. I am not referring any company but the companies who provide OEM products most of them do not make themselves. They also hire some third parties to manufacture for them and they just put their brand name on them.

However they are usually under an exclusive supply contract to the OEM and do not sell the same product under any other brand name, or to anyone besides the OEM.

Third party sellers often do the same thing. This is not really newsworthy.

What is your experience with this?
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

Trunk Weatherstrip Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trunk Weatherstrip   Trunk Weatherstrip EmptyWed Aug 03, 2011 3:10 pm

Quote :
joshuatim, please provide a specific example where this was determined to be the case. Thanks.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
96riv
Fanatic
96riv

Name : Dennis
Merit : 8

Trunk Weatherstrip Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trunk Weatherstrip   Trunk Weatherstrip EmptyWed Aug 03, 2011 6:12 pm

joshuatim wrote:

This is correct, on my 87 lots of the OEM parts now are not made by the same manufacturer and the fit is not the same. Crank sensor, door weather stripping are a couple of examples.
Quality is not the same on the parts that may come from China now.
Back to top Go down
http://www.arizonagn.com
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

Trunk Weatherstrip Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trunk Weatherstrip   Trunk Weatherstrip EmptyWed Aug 03, 2011 6:49 pm

joshuatim wrote:

Hey Joshua that's interesting.

What year is your Riviera and when did you last replace the trunk weatherstrip?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Trunk Weatherstrip Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trunk Weatherstrip   Trunk Weatherstrip Empty

Back to top Go down

Trunk Weatherstrip
Page 1 of 1