Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Engine storage

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Z-type
Aficionado
Z-type

Name : Andrew Zamiska
Merit : 63

Engine storage Empty
PostSubject: Engine storage   Engine storage EmptyWed May 04, 2011 7:43 pm

Hi everyone,

As some of you may know, since I'm parting out the 'ol girl I'm using the engine and tranny for my Lesabre T-type. I won't be doing the swap until Fall at the earliest so I was curious as to what steps I need to take to keep the engine in prime condition as it sits. The transmission fluid was drained when I pulled the axles out, and I haven't touched the oil. I would assume not having coolant in there is no big deal. Any tips are much appreciated!

Thanks!

-Andrew Z
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

Engine storage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine storage   Engine storage EmptyWed May 04, 2011 9:02 pm

No problem... if you ask at one of the old-line auto parts dealers in the Pittsburgh area you'll be able to get a fogging spray for inside the cylinders that will keep things good while your engine sits. It's the same as what's sold by marine dealers to put up the engines in boats uses seasonally, for winter storage. This LINK goes to the high priced stuff from AMSOil.

I am thinking your best bet is to find a NAPA somewhere near a marina. You are in Cecil so that should not be hard; if not at your local store you will have no problem finding the stuff in Sewickley.

Consider spraying a light silicone coating onto the electrical plugs when you disconnect them. clean with electric contact cleaner spray when you go back to assemble.

Lotsa luck.
Back to top Go down
Z-type
Aficionado
Z-type

Engine storage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine storage   Engine storage EmptyWed May 04, 2011 9:20 pm

Great tips albert! I didn't even consider the cylinders because I thought they'd be relatively sealed...duh, the exhaust and intake are both wide open lol. I didn't think of the silicone spray either...makes sense. I'll be working on the engine periodically , but mostly changing mount brackets and painting things.

So the transmission should be ok? I know it still has a bit of fluid in it...
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

Engine storage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine storage   Engine storage EmptyThu May 05, 2011 2:21 pm

I am aware of the tendency of ATF and Dexron III to gel when sitting long but I am not aware of what to do about that.
Back to top Go down
Riv6495
Special

Name : Riv6495
Merit : 0

Engine storage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine storage   Engine storage EmptyThu May 05, 2011 6:12 pm

You might want to be a little careful about the water jackets. I have a '53 Jaguar project with the radiator out. I put new hoses on the engine and bought some of the expandable rubber plugs in the correct sizes..
I plugged the hoses and left the upper, heater hose in my case, open to fill with coolant. The Jag has an aluminum head, but I think I'd do the same for any engine I stored.
Back to top Go down
Z-type
Aficionado
Z-type

Engine storage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine storage   Engine storage EmptyThu May 05, 2011 9:37 pm

Hmm...I didn't know they could really gel. I'll have to keep and eye on it, and I like your idea Riv 6495.

I do have a quick mechanical question. When I pulled the axles out of the transmission and the fluid drained, that's the only thing that happened. But I noticed that the driver's side portion where the axles slides into still spins even when the trans is in 'park'. I didn't try spinning the other side. Would the driver's side still spin because there's no fluid and the differential is on the other side?
Back to top Go down
Z-type
Aficionado
Z-type

Engine storage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine storage   Engine storage EmptyThu Jan 05, 2012 12:07 am

Hey guys....bringing back my old post because it is relevant to not only the topic, but the same engine in question as originally posted.

I'm tearing down the top end of the Lesabre's L67 to begin mods, but it won't be put back together until probably March or even April. Is it right to assume that the same techniques apply, as mentioned above?

Since the 'lifter valley' will be all exposed and whatnot over the winter (indoors, though), I was just going to stuff the head ports with clean rags and cover the engine with something, as well as the car cover I use for the Lesabre. Any other suggestions?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Engine storage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine storage   Engine storage Empty

Back to top Go down

Engine storage
Page 1 of 1