Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

timing cover

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

timing cover Empty
PostSubject: timing cover   timing cover EmptyFri May 13, 2011 1:37 pm

Quick question from the peanut gallery,Does anybody know if the timing cover from a 95 is the same as a non S/C unit from say a ,regal or other of the same year? my timing cover has a couple cracks in it,I called Morad,and they dont have any! amazing,usually they have everything! all answers greatly appreciated......
Back to top Go down
ghpcnm
Aficionado
ghpcnm

Name : Dave
Merit : 23

timing cover Empty
PostSubject: Re: timing cover   timing cover EmptyFri May 13, 2011 3:09 pm

Robo: I have a non-supercharged '95 Park Avenue that I am getting ready to sell sitting in my driveway. After eyeballing it...everything appears to be identical. smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.americantorque.com/page/0/1189/
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

timing cover Empty
PostSubject: Re: timing cover   timing cover EmptyFri May 13, 2011 3:24 pm

No shit!? Morad informed me that the 95 series 1, had Two casting numbers.And a replacement timing cover had to be ordered by going off the vin!WTF!
Back to top Go down

Name : Andrew
Merit : 123

timing cover Empty
PostSubject: Re: timing cover   timing cover EmptyFri May 13, 2011 3:40 pm

The VIN should tell you when your RIv was made, which would tell you what parts you can use. Can't remember the cut off, but the series one SC had a point where they were built using many series 2 parts. This explains some of the 95SC "factory freaks" that seem so have much more power than others. They got the series two crank which is lighter, and gives the engine more oomph where the series one really needs it, in the upper RPMs. The timing cover and oil-pan are examples of this. You can actually find 95 series one supercharged engines with series 2 stamped into their pans. For instance if you look up the 95sc for an oil pan, there are two available that depend on your casting number-> VIN.

(also we need to keep in mind that a non-sc 95 would have been a series 2 motor.)

Aficionado
ghpcnm

Name : Dave

timing cover Empty
PostSubject: Re: timing cover   timing cover EmptyFri May 13, 2011 4:07 pm

Karma wrote:
The VIN should tell you when your RIv was made, which would tell you what parts you can use. Can't remember the cut off, but the series one SC had a point where they were built using many series 2 parts. This explains some of the 95SC "factory freaks" that seem so have much more power than others. They got the series two crank which is lighter, and gives the engine more oomph where the series one really needs it, in the upper RPMs. The timing cover and oil-pan are examples of this. You can actually find 95 series one supercharged engines with series 2 stamped into their pans. For instance if you look up the 95sc for an oil pan, there are two available that depend on your casting number-> VIN.

(also we need to keep in mind that a non-sc 95 would have been a series 2 motor.)
Hmmm...very interesting. The engine in the Park Avenue says SERIES II , but the timing cover "appears" to be indentical...go figure. THANKS FOR THE GOOD INFO !!! burnout
Back to top Go down
http://www.americantorque.com/page/0/1189/

timing cover Empty
PostSubject: Re: timing cover   timing cover EmptyFri May 13, 2011 4:25 pm

yeah, I'm trying to find where I'd read that info...

hrm, not what I was looking for but useful:
"the SII cover on the left and the SI cover is on the right...essentially the covers are the same but Al's fingers are pointing to the major difference...the SII cover has one bolt hole deleted and the other moved...

by now you have rfigured that the cleaner piece is the SII cover...the filthy one the SI unit...here are the two oil filter mount units...both are interchangable between covers (W body unit on the filthy SI cover.)

here is a side by side view of the SII and SI covers near the oil filter adapter mountings here also you can see the (minor) differences between the two units"

http://www.3800pro.com/forum/general-tech/2953-si-ev6-tall-deck-block-sii-heads.html
Post # 8

Guru
robotennis61

timing cover Empty
PostSubject: Re: timing cover   timing cover EmptyFri May 13, 2011 4:58 pm

I called GM,and the only difference they know of is,Non,and S/C timing covers. The timing cover from a 93 to 95 pk.av regal,s/c will fit my 95.I hope they had the correct info,cause im taking a trip to the pick-a-part in the next few min.....
Back to top Go down

timing cover Empty
PostSubject: Re: timing cover   timing cover EmptyFri May 13, 2011 5:01 pm

Do a nice write-up with pics when changing it!! smile

Junkie
flyineagle96

Name : James E

timing cover Empty
PostSubject: Re: timing cover   timing cover EmptyFri May 13, 2011 5:42 pm

Ya,we want to see those hands dirty.........POST THE VID!!! razz
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

timing cover Empty
PostSubject: Re: timing cover   timing cover EmptyFri May 13, 2011 7:52 pm

Karma wrote:
Do a nice write-up with pics when changing it!! smile

Man ! I think its too late! The cover is allready off.I can take pics on the install if yall want?
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

timing cover Empty
PostSubject: Re: timing cover   timing cover EmptyTue May 17, 2011 1:06 am

I finally found a cover off a 94 s/c bonnieville.identical. grimace its a mofo,tryin to get a cover off in the blaring nevada sun,with nothing but hand tools and a greasy as shit engine burnt all to hell.
Best day of the month for sure! no nagging girl friend,just a bunch of junked cars and a whole bunch of mexicans just a roamin' round the yard lookin for parts...heaven!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

timing cover Empty
PostSubject: Re: timing cover   timing cover Empty

Back to top Go down

timing cover
Page 1 of 1