Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

flexplate/torque converter conversion... redrilling

Go down 
+2
Mr.Riviera
wee-one
6 posters
AuthorMessage
wee-one
wee-one

Name : Randy
Merit : 3

flexplate/torque converter conversion... redrilling Empty
PostSubject: flexplate/torque converter conversion... redrilling   flexplate/torque converter conversion... redrilling EmptyFri May 27, 2011 12:38 am

OK... so some thoughts tonight would be AWESOME!.... doing the swap still from the gtp motor... the 4t60e tyranny in my 96 riv is different from the gtp that the engine is from... the tourque converter bolts are BARELY not matching up... so my buddy and I are going to take out about 1/32 of an inch or about a millimeter off of the top off of the flexplate bolt holes so they match up because the bolts are going in a little cockeyed.... any thoughts? Otherwise we have to pull the engine again and unhooking everything and hook it all back up because everything but this and some vaccine lines and the starter are hooked up... and we are not into doing that....

He said at his work they have some sort of drill thing that will grind it out since the thing is like super uper strong steel... will this effect anything at all? We don't think so... the gtp had a 4t65e trany and is BARELY diffent bolt pattern... I mean soooooooo close... what do y'all think if you know anything about this... ill let y'all know how it goes. Thanks guys(we are doing this in the morning... 6 hours from now...)
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

PostSubject: Re: flexplate/torque converter conversion... redrilling   flexplate/torque converter conversion... redrilling EmptyFri May 27, 2011 9:46 am

Are you drilling the converter or the flex plate?
Which flex plate are you using and which converter are you using?

Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 251

PostSubject: Re: flexplate/torque converter conversion... redrilling   flexplate/torque converter conversion... redrilling EmptyFri May 27, 2011 9:58 am

Not sure if this is relevant to your situation, but might be worth a read:

https://rivperformance.editboard.com/t2042-faq-what-transmissions-swap-into-our-rivieras-97-99

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
95rivy
Enthusiast
95rivy

Name : curt

PostSubject: Re: flexplate/torque converter conversion... redrilling   flexplate/torque converter conversion... redrilling EmptyFri May 27, 2011 3:21 pm

Hey just a thought but are'nt the electronics different? and stall converter?
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: flexplate/torque converter conversion... redrilling   flexplate/torque converter conversion... redrilling EmptyFri May 27, 2011 4:16 pm

If you do this, you're setting yourself up for catastrophic FA!Lure in the future.......
Back to top Go down
wee-one
wee-one

PostSubject: Re: flexplate/torque converter conversion... redrilling   flexplate/torque converter conversion... redrilling EmptySat May 28, 2011 12:28 am

Yeah.. well we drilled it... the flexplate... I believe... and the holes are just off too much... the only thing.. the worst that would've happened is a little ding from drive to reverse from the bolts not touching both sides.. otherwise they all would've locked against the plate when turning and would be fine... but it doesn't matter because the holes are off too much where the bolt head could slip through...

So now we have to pull the engine again..... the third time... but right now it sucks buzz all we had left to hookup was the air filter and coolant overflow.... and change the oilpan gasket.... oh BTW.. the bottom trany cooler line is a BIATCH to get in... OMG it took like an hour
Back to top Go down
wee-one
wee-one

PostSubject: Re: flexplate/torque converter conversion... redrilling   flexplate/torque converter conversion... redrilling EmptyFri Jun 03, 2011 7:51 pm

Alright guys... we pulled the engine again and are using the gtp motor... Riviera flexplate... and Riviera transmission..... but again... the torque converter/flexplate bolts are a Tad too long and hitting the bell housing.... the bolts ate 10x1.5 grade 8 of course.... neither bolts off the original or new engine work.... what should I do Cuzco I'm gonna finish this tomorrow... thanks guys.. I can't figure this out..
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

PostSubject: Re: flexplate/torque converter conversion... redrilling   flexplate/torque converter conversion... redrilling EmptyFri Jun 03, 2011 9:09 pm

Ok, so go to your local nut/bolt joint and buy the exact same bolts......just shorter.
Back to top Go down
wee-one
wee-one

PostSubject: Re: flexplate/torque converter conversion... redrilling   flexplate/torque converter conversion... redrilling EmptyFri Jun 03, 2011 11:28 pm

Yeah... kindof hard... LOL.. 10x1.5 15mm is what I have.... 3 sets of them... I need 10x1.5 12mm or even 10mm maybe... I really wish it was that easy to find in a grade 8.. I would already have them inland the car running. Well... guess I'm going to have to see what Lowes and home depot carry....
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

PostSubject: Re: flexplate/torque converter conversion... redrilling   flexplate/torque converter conversion... redrilling EmptySat Jun 04, 2011 2:15 am

No. Don't go to Lowes or Home Depot for those. Look for a fastener supply place in your area. They can usually match exactly what you need. There is place right by my work that I frequent quite often called Metrics Unlimited. I love that place. A giant warehouse dedicated to nothing but every type of fastener on the planet.

When you find a place, take the bolt(s) with you. Tell them how much shorter you need them, and they should have some bolts within a mm or 1/8' of what you need, and of the same automotive grade.
Back to top Go down
Kustom Kreationz
Amateur
Kustom Kreationz

Name : Buck
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: flexplate/torque converter conversion... redrilling   flexplate/torque converter conversion... redrilling EmptySat Jun 04, 2011 7:18 pm

Why not run a nut up on the too long bolt, cut off the part u dont need, and when u take the nut back off the bolt it will clean the threads off for you?
smoke
Back to top Go down
wee-one
wee-one

PostSubject: Re: flexplate/torque converter conversion... redrilling   flexplate/torque converter conversion... redrilling EmptySat Jun 04, 2011 7:40 pm

I'm going to have to cut it I guess... and yeah the Guy at Lowes said the same thing about the nut cleaning it... its going to have to mainly keep the cut straight.. and second purpose of cleaning it... and I looked for places near me that might just sell fasteners... no luck.. all are like disributers and stuff so... that's a no go.... the thing is they are too short to even cut so I'm gonna try filing them down... if that doesn't work then ill have to get longer bolts that I can actually keep ahold of cut it... this sucks... frown
Back to top Go down
wee-one
wee-one

PostSubject: Re: flexplate/torque converter conversion... redrilling   flexplate/torque converter conversion... redrilling EmptyMon Jun 06, 2011 9:47 pm

OK... so now I figured its the bolt head hitting the bell housing... not... good.. the oil pressure is right behind it ob the engine side.... the worst news of all!!!!! We need to pull the engineAGAIN... the freaking bolt somehow came undone.... and is stuck in between the block and flexplate... like lodged in there... its locked up the flexplate.. so we have to pull the flexplate off and get itout... the fourth time so far the engine has needed pulled.... fml
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: flexplate/torque converter conversion... redrilling   flexplate/torque converter conversion... redrilling Empty

Back to top Go down

flexplate/torque converter conversion... redrilling
Page 1 of 1