Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

so I just bought a 95 SC....

Go down 
+10
stan
jimmyriv
Hometown Hero
95rivy
ghpcnm
Riv95SC
robotennis61
themanwithsauce
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Derek
Fanatic

Name : Derek
Merit : 10

so I just bought a 95 SC.... - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: so I just bought a 95 SC....   so I just bought a 95 SC.... - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 14, 2011 11:25 am

When the solenoid for the supercharger goes bad it will usually set a check engine light, tho it may not do it right away. On a 95 the code is p1640 (ask me how I know lol). When the supercharger solenoid (also known as a boost control solenoid(bcs) or a wastegate solenoid) goes bad you will usually experience a pretty significant drop in gas mileage. And depending on what position the boost bypass valve (bbv) is in when it does fail you could experience either boost down in the low rpm range where you don't want it (possible engine damage) or almost no boost at all. While not extremely expensive these can be very difficult to find (not many still available and if I recall they sold under a very weird part name) if you need help tracking one down let me know or if you're interested I have a used one for sale cheap. For more info on code 1640 read Nigelf's very informative writeup on the subject found under the series 1 scanning section. Hope that helps.
Back to top Go down
themanwithsauce
Enthusiast
themanwithsauce

Name : Chris
Merit : 8

PostSubject: Re: so I just bought a 95 SC....   so I just bought a 95 SC.... - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 14, 2011 1:23 pm

Scan tool says "quad driver 4 error" and I also tested my o2 sensors and I've got a lazy one...the one in the engine bay is slow to respond at idle but reacts fine at or above 2k rpm
Back to top Go down
Derek
Fanatic

Name : Derek
Merit : 10

PostSubject: Re: so I just bought a 95 SC....   so I just bought a 95 SC.... - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 14, 2011 2:13 pm

Ahhh ok, quad driver 4 relates to the boost control solenoid, transmission ttc lockup solenoidor the evap purge solenoid. The majority of the time it appears its usually the bcs that goes bad. That write-up I reffered to gives detailed step by step instructions for diagnosing a code 1640. And just a word of warning, do no go with the Bosch o2 sensor. From what I've read on this site the bosch is too slow to respond and will give lazy readings. Denso seems to be the preferred choice of the board. Good luck!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: so I just bought a 95 SC....   so I just bought a 95 SC.... - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

so I just bought a 95 SC....
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2