Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Leaky oil pressure switch

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

Leaky oil pressure switch Empty
PostSubject: Leaky oil pressure switch   Leaky oil pressure switch EmptyThu Jun 02, 2011 4:43 pm

For anyone with a 95 ,or I'm assuming series2 also,if you are running the original OPS,and are experiencing rough running issues,and have exhausted(your wallet too)all avenues,consider examining the OPS wiring where it connect to the switch.If your OPS is weepy,the leaking oil will migrate up and into the wiring loom and basically send nasty messages to the computer.It will also shut off the fuel pump intermittently.the fuel pump is connected to the OPS,and when the engine oil pressure drops,the fuel pump will shut off.saving the engine. after finding the leak,put a new OPS and strip back the wires and thoroughly clean with elec cleaner,and heat shrink all wires back together,individually,and put the plastic loom back on.this should at least solve most of the running issues. If the wires are wet,your car will run rough! this can eventually lead to fuel pump failure.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Leaky oil pressure switch   Leaky oil pressure switch EmptyThu Jun 02, 2011 5:04 pm

robotennis61 wrote:
For anyone with a 95 ,or I'm assuming series2 also,if you are running the original OPS,and are experiencing rough running issues,and have exhausted(your wallet too)all avenues,consider examining the OPS wiring where it connect to the switch.If your OPS is weepy,the leaking oil will migrate up and into the wiring loom and basically send nasty messages to the computer.It will also shut off the fuel pump intermittently.the fuel pump is connected to the OPS,and when the engine oil pressure drops,the fuel pump will shut off.saving the engine. after finding the leak,put a new OPS and strip back the wires and thoroughly clean with elec cleaner,and heat shrink all wires back together,individually,and put the plastic loom back on.this should at least solve most of the running issues. If the wires are wet,your car will run rough! this can eventually lead to fuel pump failure.

I s'pose this is one reason not to let the oil pan gasket drip...

smile
Back to top Go down
97 park ave
Addict
97 park ave

Name : Tyler
Merit : 21

PostSubject: Re: Leaky oil pressure switch   Leaky oil pressure switch EmptyThu Jun 02, 2011 6:15 pm

albertj wrote:
robotennis61 wrote:

smile

Oil pressure switch is above the oil pan, only oil that can get on it is from the rear valve cover or from itself like robo is talking about.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Leaky oil pressure switch   Leaky oil pressure switch EmptyFri Jun 03, 2011 12:39 am

97 park ave wrote:
albertj wrote:
robotennis61 wrote:

smile

Oil pressure switch is above the oil pan, only oil that can get on it is from the rear valve cover or from itself like robo is talking about.

my bad puzzled
Back to top Go down
97 park ave
Addict
97 park ave

Name : Tyler
Merit : 21

PostSubject: Re: Leaky oil pressure switch   Leaky oil pressure switch EmptyFri Jun 03, 2011 1:45 am

Not necissarily, you still shouldnt let the oil pan drip because then you can see where most of the oil is really coming from. For instance i always thought my oil pan was leaking pretty bad until i finally changed my dead oil pressure switch that was also leaking oil, ever since its been fixed there hasnt been a drop of oil on my pan. Theres a very slight bit of oil still coming from the pan gasket, but no drips on the floor anymore, which tells me that the oil pressure switch was leaking quite a bit. Just a reminder to check "upstream" for oil leaks before having to mess with the oil pan because changing an oil pressure switch takes less than 10 minutes.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Leaky oil pressure switch   Leaky oil pressure switch Empty

Back to top Go down

Leaky oil pressure switch
Page 1 of 1