Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

'96 Riviera S/C problems

Go down 
+5
albertj
deekster_caddy
AA
RidzRiv
vegasdgk
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

'96 Riviera S/C problems - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: '96 Riviera S/C problems   '96 Riviera S/C problems - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 11, 2011 6:54 am

vegasdgk wrote:
i do understand that....i love the car, it has potential but my roommate has a 95 z28 camaro, which obviously is a bigger motor and said that it doesnt seem right.
i rarely check the rpms when it was working :/ so I'm not sure what the normal rpm is.

it's not that big a deal, just a difference in engineering. Your roomie probably would not know that low-rev trivia about the 3800.

do you think you might look on ebay for a service manual set?

Back to top Go down
vegasdgk
Amateur

Name : Aarion
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: '96 Riviera S/C problems   '96 Riviera S/C problems - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 11, 2011 12:40 pm

albertj wrote:
vegasdgk wrote:
i do understand that....i love the car, it has potential but my roommate has a 95 z28 camaro, which obviously is a bigger motor and said that it doesnt seem right.
i rarely check the rpms when it was working :/ so I'm not sure what the normal rpm is.

it's not that big a deal, just a difference in engineering. Your roomie probably would not know that low-rev trivia about the 3800.

lol true, i have looked for something like a "haynes" or a "chilton" but no luck, does anyone know why they don't make one???
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: '96 Riviera S/C problems   '96 Riviera S/C problems - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 11, 2011 1:17 pm

vegasdgk wrote:
albertj wrote:
vegasdgk wrote:

lol true, i have looked for something like a "haynes" or a "chilton" but no luck, does anyone know why they don't make one???

Not enough Rivs on the road to make it worth Haynes' while.

Don't wig out though, the manuals go for reasonable $$ on ebay. New the set is over $100. Used it's usually under $50.
Back to top Go down
vegasdgk
Amateur

PostSubject: Re: '96 Riviera S/C problems   '96 Riviera S/C problems - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 16, 2011 10:12 am

sorry everyone, been working.

but here's a little update.

still can't get it running, my buddy said that he tested the fuel pressure and it will go up to 20psi then drop back to 0.

he said it could be the fuel pressure regulator, but he doesn't know about rivieras.

any truth behind his guess??
Back to top Go down
themanwithsauce
Enthusiast
themanwithsauce

Name : Chris
Merit : 8

PostSubject: Re: '96 Riviera S/C problems   '96 Riviera S/C problems - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 16, 2011 10:42 am

Sounds liks the issue I had when I got my riv. The guy thought it was a bad catalytic converter so he drilled a hole in front of it to get it to run. The car did run (barely( but had really rough idle and problems exceeding 40mph. So my dad and I replaced the fuel pump to solve what was actually a fuel starvation issuedo realize you should get around 30 to 40 psi at idle and your regulator will limit the maximum pressure, not restrict an already poor pressure. Since you're only making 20 psi, you don't have the pressure to cause the regulator to even kick in.

If you're sure the pump isn't the issue, then check your regulator but also check your exhaust and make sure you're putting in premium fuel.
Back to top Go down
vegasdgk
Amateur

PostSubject: Re: '96 Riviera S/C problems   '96 Riviera S/C problems - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 06, 2011 4:40 pm

so finally got a day off lol, started on the fuel filter, the pcv valve and it started up after two tries then idled perfect.
drove around the block a few times.
then only problem now, seems to be that accelerating at a turn it bogs down a bit. :/

but other than that it ran perfectly lol
any ideas about that bogging?
Back to top Go down
Derek
Fanatic

Name : Derek
Merit : 10

PostSubject: Re: '96 Riviera S/C problems   '96 Riviera S/C problems - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 06, 2011 6:12 pm

Have you rechecked the fuel pressure since replacing the fuel filter? Rivs are known for having the fuel pump go bad so if you're still not seeing the correct pressure the pump would be where I'd look next. When cornering are you at WOT? Are you losing traction when you feel the bogging? Does it bog when you hold it steady thru a corner or are you gassing it when exiting the corner? Not to be a pain but you have to be a bit more specific. Are you still getting the SES light?
Back to top Go down
vegasdgk
Amateur

PostSubject: Re: '96 Riviera S/C problems   '96 Riviera S/C problems - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 06, 2011 9:17 pm

im gassing it when exiting, i dont race it or anything so its just daily driving.

but im not able to check the fuel pressure right now. :/

my friend is out of town right now and i dont have the money to get one or get one loaned out to me frown
Back to top Go down
vegasdgk
Amateur

PostSubject: Re: '96 Riviera S/C problems   '96 Riviera S/C problems - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 14, 2011 4:13 pm

ok i got it fixed, i took it to a shop when i got paid.

turns out it was the fuel pump.....it was only putting out 10 lbs

long story short its running great lol

thanks for all your help smile
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: '96 Riviera S/C problems   '96 Riviera S/C problems - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 14, 2011 4:45 pm

Glad to know we helped, and you got it fixed. Turned out the first 4-5 posts were steering you towards the right answer in the end.
Back to top Go down
vegasdgk
Amateur

PostSubject: Re: '96 Riviera S/C problems   '96 Riviera S/C problems - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 15, 2011 2:03 pm

deekster_caddy wrote:
Glad to know we helped, and you got it fixed. Turned out the first 4-5 posts were steering you towards the right answer in the end.
i know, right? lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: '96 Riviera S/C problems   '96 Riviera S/C problems - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

'96 Riviera S/C problems
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2