Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Write-Up: Fuel Filter Replacement

Go down 
+2
AA
GreenMonster
6 posters
AuthorMessage
GreenMonster
Amateur

Name : Todd
Merit : 3

Write-Up: Fuel Filter Replacement Empty
PostSubject: Write-Up: Fuel Filter Replacement   Write-Up: Fuel Filter Replacement EmptyThu Jun 23, 2011 6:03 pm

Ok so after searching these boards and not seeing any actual write-ups on the subject I decided to make one.

For starters this can be a very easy 5 minute job ( my case ). or this can be a pita depending on the condition of your fuel lines and old filter, if your situation happens to be very old and rusty expect to have more trouble. I lucked out and my lines had absolutley no rust and the filter only a few spots. My filter came off without any use of PB blaster or similar products. If your filter and or lines are very rusted soak the area with PB blaster and let is sit for at least a half hour.

OK, to start your going to obviously need a filter, I was not picky about which one I used, I just grabbed what was on the shelf at the parts store. There is some controversy on the subject so you can do your research if you decide.
Write-Up: Fuel Filter Replacement 1

Tools required for this job is pretty basic. the compression fitting on the fuel line is a 5/8, the fitting on the filter is larger, either 7/8's or 13/16's, I ended up using vice grips because I did not have a open end in either of these sizes. either way you must have a wrench on the filter to prevent it from spinning. if your filter and line is very rusted a set of line wrenches would be a good idea to prevent stripping.
Write-Up: Fuel Filter Replacement 3

other misc items can include something to catch the excess fuel in ( such as a oil drain pan ), and rags to keep things clean. It would also be a VERY good idea to have a fire extinguisher handy, after all you are dealing with gas.

The next step is optional, but very easy so I recommend it to keep things clean. under the hood locate the bleed valve on the fuel rail and remove the cap, using something small ( like a small drill bit ) press down on the pin on the valve to relive the pressure. I cut the top of a small water bottle off and ran the drill bit through the center of the cap to prevent fuel from spraying up, I cut the base out of that same bottle and put it under the fuel rail to catch the fuel, this proved to be very successful as no fuel was spilled during this process.
Write-Up: Fuel Filter Replacement 2
Write-Up: Fuel Filter Replacement 059
Write-Up: Fuel Filter Replacement 060

Next locate the location of your filter. At first glance I could not see it, mainly because the filter is actually tucked up under the car and not really visible unless you really get under there. you can always follow the fuel lines under the car to locate the filter. You should be looking under the driver side, just in front of the rear tire.
Write-Up: Fuel Filter Replacement 4
Write-Up: Fuel Filter Replacement 5
There she is! I was really lucky with the condition of my old filter, very little rust! this is the first time I have done it since owning the car so im not sure of the age.
Assuming you have already let the compression fitting soak in PB blaster if needed, go ahead and place your fuel catch bin under the filter and break the fitting loose. I clamped the vise grip onto the filter and broke the compression fitting loose with the 5/8's, it was surprisingly easy despite punching myself in the face when it broke free. you should not get any fuel to pour out by simply breaking this fitting loose, however once you separate the filter from the fitting you will get a decent amount of fuel coming from the lines. the filter can now be moved into position for easy removal of the rear fitting.
Write-Up: Fuel Filter Replacement 7
This should be the easy side, simply locate the two tabs on the clip and squeeze and separate the fuel line from the filter. be careful, more fuel will come from either the fuel line or the filter. now you can compare the new vs. the old.
Write-Up: Fuel Filter Replacement 6
Now the rest should be fairly simple, install the new filter in reverse order. After the new filter is installed turn the ignition to accessory and allow roughly 5 seconds for the fuel pump to pressurize the fuel system before attempting to start the engine. now would be a good time to look for any initial signs of a fuel leak. if everything checks out ok start the engine, it might take a crank or two more than usual , this is normal. now that the engine is running re-check for any leaks. Enjoy!

Last edited by GreenMonster on Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:54 pm; edited 2 times in total

treasureoak likes this post

Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 251

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Fuel Filter Replacement   Write-Up: Fuel Filter Replacement EmptyThu Jun 23, 2011 7:00 pm

Nice write-up, thanks for posting. Only thing I'd add is to have a small fire extinguisher within arm's reach, ready to go. I actually do this every time I work on fuel lines. Again, nice job!

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
ghpcnm
Aficionado
ghpcnm

Name : Dave
Merit : 23

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Fuel Filter Replacement   Write-Up: Fuel Filter Replacement EmptyThu Jun 23, 2011 7:02 pm

Thanks !!! I give you two thumbs up and a big + thumbsup
Back to top Go down
http://www.americantorque.com/page/0/1189/
GreenMonster
Amateur

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Fuel Filter Replacement   Write-Up: Fuel Filter Replacement EmptyThu Jun 23, 2011 7:55 pm

AA wrote:
Nice write-up, thanks for posting. Only thing I'd add is to have a small fire extinguisher within arm's reach, ready to go. I actually do this every time I work on fuel lines. Again, nice job!
I added your recommendation to the write-up
Back to top Go down
ZEP
Fanatic
ZEP

Name : Zach
Merit : 11

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Fuel Filter Replacement   Write-Up: Fuel Filter Replacement EmptyThu Jun 23, 2011 9:29 pm

Great write-up, Todd. I'm loving the water bottle contraption!
Back to top Go down
GreenMonster
Amateur

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Fuel Filter Replacement   Write-Up: Fuel Filter Replacement EmptyThu Jun 23, 2011 10:54 pm

ZEP wrote:
Great write-up, Todd. I'm loving the water bottle contraption!

Thanks, That was kinda a on the fly idea...
Back to top Go down
Jason
Aficionado
Jason

Name : Jason
Merit : 65

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Fuel Filter Replacement   Write-Up: Fuel Filter Replacement EmptyFri Jun 24, 2011 5:01 pm

sort of a placeholder for now, but different fuel filters are not all the same. Some, myself included, have seen a fuel mileage decrease with various brands of super-fine filters.
Will update.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/id/Doctor_Meltdown
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Fuel Filter Replacement   Write-Up: Fuel Filter Replacement EmptyFri Jun 24, 2011 5:36 pm

Some discussion on different filter brands here: https://rivperformance.editboard.com/t2479-fuel-filters

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
9ty7rivi
Enthusiast

Name : terrance
Merit : 2

PostSubject: Fuel Filter   Write-Up: Fuel Filter Replacement EmptyMon May 22, 2017 7:28 pm

I have a problem with a rusty as hell fuel line screw that I'am unable to loose from the line for the life of me. I've applied PB blaster and let it soak for a few days and no go. Would there be any other alternative besides cutting the line that could possibly be done in order to free this fuel filter (not original about 50k on it oops ) from my car? At the moment I just put some SEAFOAM in there. Any comments will be appreciated.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Fuel Filter Replacement   Write-Up: Fuel Filter Replacement EmptyTue May 23, 2017 5:37 am

These can be a bear to remove. Last time I did it was not easy (around 250k miles). Use of PB was a good idea. Another trick is vinegar, which dissolves rust. Finally, transmission or power steering fluid mixed 50/50 with acetone is one of the best penatrants known to man!

For the wrenching, I'd try getting the car up (on a lift?) high enough that you can clearly see the connection, put a flare wrench on the large nut, vice-grip on the small nut, and apply sharp taps to the small nut with a hammer. Try moving them back and forth until it breaks free. In case of failure, be prepared to patch in a new piece of tubing + threaded fitting. Good luck.

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
9ty7rivi
Enthusiast

Name : terrance
Merit : 2

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Fuel Filter Replacement   Write-Up: Fuel Filter Replacement EmptyFri Jun 02, 2017 3:00 pm

I just saw this reply and really appreciate the opinion! I hope to get it off because I just hate knowing the damn thing hasn't been replaced even before I installed my new fuel pump.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Fuel Filter Replacement   Write-Up: Fuel Filter Replacement Empty

Back to top Go down

Write-Up: Fuel Filter Replacement
Page 1 of 1