Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

My L67 swap from LesabreT.com

Go down 
+25
69GSColorado
joshuadalegrimes
denim
L67GAMSE93
rivparadise
gmann3001
AA
pbrktrt
LARRY70GS
ghpcnm
charlieRobinson
bigdave
deekster_caddy
BMD
stan
robotennis61
RoughNecks17
flyineagle96
albertj
RidzRiv
Hometown Hero
turtleman
Z-type
29 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
AuthorMessage

Name : Andrew
Merit : 123

My L67 swap from LesabreT.com - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: My L67 swap from LesabreT.com   My L67 swap from LesabreT.com - Page 6 EmptySun Apr 01, 2012 10:45 pm

Z-type wrote:
Holy cow, looks awesome! I'm very familiar with Hometown Hero's build from a few years ago and this looks similar, but I do see the differences you pointed out.

I cannot wait! i can feel the torque already...

And yeah I guess I should probably start saving money for a trans happy .

Thanks, Andrew, I owe you huge.

Hometowns was a few years ago? was it that long ?? scratch

I'm very happy with this latest version of my efforts. Maybe I'll just send you my 1st gen version and keep this one. smile
It will be neat to see how the improved gen V one works, and what ends up happening with the m112. Got to make it scream like the m62.

Aaron:
Too bad you are selling your riv eh Aaron? wink

Junkie
Hometown Hero

Name : Klix
Merit : 16

PostSubject: Re: My L67 swap from LesabreT.com   My L67 swap from LesabreT.com - Page 6 EmptyMon Apr 02, 2012 12:10 am

Yeah it was awhile ago. Looks like Karma is still doing work that is worthy of his own segment on SPEED television. He is like the "Chip Foose" of superchargers. clown 1 day I hope to have my Series I huffing off a Karma kustoms Ford M90. For now I'm content with the custom M62. razz
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: My L67 swap from LesabreT.com   My L67 swap from LesabreT.com - Page 6 EmptyMon Apr 02, 2012 12:52 am

Quote :
Aaron:
Too bad you are selling your riv eh Aaron? :wink:
Uhh, yeah, I'm selling it... Just wanted you to modify my blower so I can look at it every day, maybe rub it for good luck.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
Z-type
Aficionado
Z-type

Name : Andrew Zamiska
Merit : 63

PostSubject: Re: My L67 swap from LesabreT.com   My L67 swap from LesabreT.com - Page 6 EmptyMon Apr 02, 2012 1:04 am

No thanks Andrew, I'll take my blower back smile . That way I don't have to paint another...
Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

Name : Codith
Merit : 140

PostSubject: Re: My L67 swap from LesabreT.com   My L67 swap from LesabreT.com - Page 6 EmptyMon Apr 02, 2012 2:25 pm

Nice! This thing's finna be sick!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My L67 swap from LesabreT.com   My L67 swap from LesabreT.com - Page 6 EmptyMon Apr 02, 2012 9:22 pm

Hometown Hero wrote:
Yeah it was awhile ago. Looks like Karma is still doing work that is worthy of his own segment on SPEED television. He is like the "Chip Foose" of superchargers. clown 1 day I hope to have my Series I huffing off a Karma kustoms Ford M90. For now I'm content with the custom M62. razz

Ha ha!
Karma Kustoms! ... "Sometimes when you win, its just Karma." 3gears

Aficionado
Z-type

PostSubject: Re: My L67 swap from LesabreT.com   My L67 swap from LesabreT.com - Page 6 EmptyMon Apr 02, 2012 10:03 pm

Nice...one of the best taglines I've ever heard smile . I think I'll put that in my engine bay somewhere...
Back to top Go down
Hometown Hero
Junkie
Hometown Hero

PostSubject: Re: My L67 swap from LesabreT.com   My L67 swap from LesabreT.com - Page 6 EmptyTue Apr 03, 2012 11:11 am

Karma wrote:

Ha ha!
Karma Kustoms! ... "Sometimes when you win, its just Karma." 3gears

GOLDEN! clap
Back to top Go down
gmann3001
Fanatic
gmann3001

Name : Glenn W. Peck
Merit : 9

PostSubject: Re: My L67 swap from LesabreT.com   My L67 swap from LesabreT.com - Page 6 EmptyWed Apr 04, 2012 1:33 am

I Like that!
Back to top Go down
http://gmann3001@yahoo.com
Z-type
Aficionado
Z-type

PostSubject: Re: My L67 swap from LesabreT.com   My L67 swap from LesabreT.com - Page 6 EmptyThu Apr 05, 2012 8:52 pm

Another decent update on the project! I found a non-walled LIM and purchased it, and was expecting delivery in about 2 weeks. Around 1:00 this afternoon, FedEx pulls into the driveway and has my LIM!! Holy crap...exactly 27 hours from payment to receiving this thing. That's crazy. But it gave me something else to do on my day off!

Horribly dirty and oily. I wonder what this poor car went through. Oh, and I found out this was from a '92 Park Avenue Ultra.
My L67 swap from LesabreT.com - Page 6 MaroonT378

New one on the left, old one on the right. No outside differences other than the thermostat housing.
My L67 swap from LesabreT.com - Page 6 MaroonT379

For those of you who may not know, here's the difference and why I looked high and low to get one of these damn things. This is the '95 LIM - it has vertical walls to dampen sound, but creates turbulence and heat. Bad.
My L67 swap from LesabreT.com - Page 6 MaroonT380

'92 LIM - No walls to be found, and the casting is a little smoother, visually.
My L67 swap from LesabreT.com - Page 6 MaroonT381

Soaked it in GUNK Engine Brite, and powerwashed the everliving hell out of it.
My L67 swap from LesabreT.com - Page 6 MaroonT383

Turned out pretty nice! But, on to more important things. The side cover on my old LIM has the temperature sender for the gauge in it, so it needs swapped.
My L67 swap from LesabreT.com - Page 6 MaroonT384

My L67 swap from LesabreT.com - Page 6 MaroonT385

Looks the same to me, let's move on.
My L67 swap from LesabreT.com - Page 6 MaroonT386

Scraped and cleaned the gasket surfaces...
My L67 swap from LesabreT.com - Page 6 MaroonT387

And resealed the surfaces with black RTV.
My L67 swap from LesabreT.com - Page 6 MaroonT388

Project garage! Lots of stuff going on in here.
My L67 swap from LesabreT.com - Page 6 MaroonT389

My L67 swap from LesabreT.com - Page 6 MaroonT390

Next step - install a new thermostat seal and housing gasket. Then, get threadlocker for the old temperature sensor (not the gauge sender on the cover) since the one with the new LIM was broken off. Also, there's a plug behind the LIM that would normally hold another sensor, but that sensor is missing so I need to fill it. Probably going to use the broken sensor to fill it.

In addition to all that, next week I'll be porting the LIM and installing it back onto the engine. Once that's all done and settled, I'll install the Yella Terras!

Last edited by Z-type on Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
RidzRiv
Addict
RidzRiv

Name : Greg
Merit : 17

PostSubject: Re: My L67 swap from LesabreT.com   My L67 swap from LesabreT.com - Page 6 EmptyThu Apr 05, 2012 9:17 pm

Looks pretty sweet! So are you going to using the thermostat housing from the 95 LIM?
Back to top Go down
Z-type
Aficionado
Z-type

PostSubject: Re: My L67 swap from LesabreT.com   My L67 swap from LesabreT.com - Page 6 EmptyThu Apr 05, 2012 9:19 pm

Thanks! And yes I'm going to use the '95 housing for two reasons - one, it will look the same as it used to and is 'engine correct', and since I broke the head of a bolt from the other one, Trying to remove it from the LIM I ruined the old housing. I was a little disappointed, but it's not the end of the world.
Back to top Go down
Hometown Hero
Junkie
Hometown Hero

PostSubject: Re: My L67 swap from LesabreT.com   My L67 swap from LesabreT.com - Page 6 EmptyThu Apr 05, 2012 9:24 pm

Talk to Karma about the fitment of that non-walled intake. It will work, but from what I remember in some discussions I had with him when my PP was on the mill he had mentioned some issues with fit and finish when mounting.
Back to top Go down
Z-type
Aficionado
Z-type

PostSubject: Re: My L67 swap from LesabreT.com   My L67 swap from LesabreT.com - Page 6 EmptyThu Apr 05, 2012 9:26 pm

Thanks Klix, luckily, he warned me about it already. I'm going to do my best to get it to fit correctly! I'm not messing around cool .
Back to top Go down
Z-type
Aficionado
Z-type

PostSubject: Re: My L67 swap from LesabreT.com   My L67 swap from LesabreT.com - Page 6 EmptyThu Apr 12, 2012 12:47 am

Did a little work today, in preparation for tomorrow. I'm probably highlighting too many minor details, but I haven't heard anyone complain about pictures yet happy .

First thing I wanted to do today before I forgot (and this is an extremely important step) is soak the new rocker arms and pedestals/alignment plates in oil overnight (in this case, 24 hours). I remembered I had more than a few sets of valve covers laying around, and borrowed two rear covers for this.
My L67 swap from LesabreT.com - Page 6 MaroonT391

Insert rocker arms:
My L67 swap from LesabreT.com - Page 6 MaroonT392

Fill with oil, preheat oven to 350 degrees, bake for 20 minutes...wait. Nevermind.
My L67 swap from LesabreT.com - Page 6 MaroonT393

Moving on, I started prep work with the LIM as well. I had to re-install the PCM's coolant temperature sensor and plug a hole where another sensor would have gone from the LIM donor car.
My L67 swap from LesabreT.com - Page 6 MaroonT394

Namely, this hole:
My L67 swap from LesabreT.com - Page 6 MaroonT395

To plug the rear hole (keep your jokes to yourselves) I decided to use this broken sensor that came with the '92 LIM - and only because I couldn't get the real plug out of the '95 LIM. No biggie. You can't see it once the blower is installed.
My L67 swap from LesabreT.com - Page 6 MaroonT396

Apply sealant:
My L67 swap from LesabreT.com - Page 6 MaroonT397

And install:
My L67 swap from LesabreT.com - Page 6 MaroonT398

I also had to install the 180 degree thermostat and the '95 housing, and used new thermostat seals and a new housing gasket:
My L67 swap from LesabreT.com - Page 6 MaroonT399

My L67 swap from LesabreT.com - Page 6 MaroonT400

Ready to port - but not until tomorrow.
My L67 swap from LesabreT.com - Page 6 MaroonT401

Installed new fuel injector O-rings:
My L67 swap from LesabreT.com - Page 6 MaroonT402

One thing I almost forgot while I was working - the throttle body is dirty and needs some attention.
My L67 swap from LesabreT.com - Page 6 MaroonT403

Ugh...miserable sight.
My L67 swap from LesabreT.com - Page 6 MaroonT404

That's a bit better. I also cleaned the MAF sensor and IAC sensors, even though they probably didn't need it.
My L67 swap from LesabreT.com - Page 6 MaroonT405

Just because I could, I test fit the '95 gasket on the '92 LIM. Everything looks cool! I've been told probably a hundred times this is essentially a bolt-on LIM for this later engine, but I had to check. More on that tomorrow...
My L67 swap from LesabreT.com - Page 6 MaroonT406

The LIM I got was from eBay, if you recall. It had originally been an auction for the LIM AND supercharger, but I was able to buy the LIM by itself. The guy I got it from said he was sick of seeing the blower laying around so it got shipped to my house for the cost of said shipping. Don't know what I'll ever do with it, but I have a Gen 2 M62 now razz . And a spare 2.55" pulley.
My L67 swap from LesabreT.com - Page 6 MaroonT407

Lots more coming tomorrow. Stay tuned.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My L67 swap from LesabreT.com   My L67 swap from LesabreT.com - Page 6 EmptyThu Apr 12, 2012 10:40 am

Harder to give it a bath after porting with the sensors and t-stat installed eh?
(It'll probably be ok, tape up the coolant ports though when you are porting, alumn dust gets everywhere...and the less you need to clean out again after...)
oh.. and make sure that coolant bung on the left is the metal one. You will kick yourself later if you use the composite one. wink

Aficionado
Z-type

PostSubject: Re: My L67 swap from LesabreT.com   My L67 swap from LesabreT.com - Page 6 EmptyThu Apr 12, 2012 11:05 am

Doh headbutt ...I haven't made too many stupid mistakes on this project, but this is certainly one of them.

Thanks Andrew!
Back to top Go down
Z-type
Aficionado
Z-type

PostSubject: Re: My L67 swap from LesabreT.com   My L67 swap from LesabreT.com - Page 6 EmptyThu Apr 12, 2012 11:32 pm

From LesabreT.com:

Ok - you stayed tuned, now here's the 'lots more' .

Back to the LIM to port it. I was pretty familiar with the process as I had 'practiced' successfully with my SSEi's manifold. This was about the same...not really any easier or harder.
My L67 swap from LesabreT.com - Page 6 MaroonT408

This is almost an embarrassing set of ports lol. This is one of the worst.
My L67 swap from LesabreT.com - Page 6 MaroonT409

This is the same port, but I took all the rough casting off of it and smoothed it out quite a bit.
My L67 swap from LesabreT.com - Page 6 MaroonT410

You can see a distinct difference after one port is nearly finished:
My L67 swap from LesabreT.com - Page 6 MaroonT412

All three shaped - not smoothed and finished yet.
My L67 swap from LesabreT.com - Page 6 MaroonT413

Fitted the LIM, made sure of the alignment, then pulled the old gaskets off and cleaned the heads.
My L67 swap from LesabreT.com - Page 6 MaroonT414

Nice new gaskets. The old ones were only 400 miles old, but I'm not one to take risks like that.
My L67 swap from LesabreT.com - Page 6 MaroonT416

Nice finished and clean LIM - sorry, no finished pictures of the ports. I got excited razz .
My L67 swap from LesabreT.com - Page 6 MaroonT415

Front valve cover was, as usual, fairly easy to remove.
My L67 swap from LesabreT.com - Page 6 MaroonT417

Popped off two of the rockers - again, quite easy.
My L67 swap from LesabreT.com - Page 6 MaroonT418

All gone!
My L67 swap from LesabreT.com - Page 6 MaroonT419

I didn't end up getting any in-between pictures because my hands were essentially covered in oil, but here's some new Yella Terras! The hardest part was lining up the roller with the valve tip and keeping it there.
My L67 swap from LesabreT.com - Page 6 MaroonT420

Rear cover removed. Quite a pain in the behind, but could have been much worse. There's LOTS of room in this car compared to my Riviera. Even with the engine fully installed, the rear spark plugs are quite easy to reach.
My L67 swap from LesabreT.com - Page 6 MaroonT424

All the leftover rockers. Like most things I've read, the rear ones are filthier than the front ones. This is because of heat, correct? Also, How do I store these rockers? Wrap them in plastic and put them in a box?
My L67 swap from LesabreT.com - Page 6 MaroonT425

Rear rockers basically installed.
My L67 swap from LesabreT.com - Page 6 MaroonT426

Disconnected the fuel pump relay, plugged in the PCM (still with the old tune), and cranked the engine over for 15 seconds at a time, then retorqued the rockers. Only one was loose on the first shot, then all of them stayed tight the other two times. Then I started re-construction.
My L67 swap from LesabreT.com - Page 6 MaroonT427

Valve covers and spark plug wire cover on the front, various brackets reconnected.
My L67 swap from LesabreT.com - Page 6 MaroonT428

Ran the rear plug wires under where the blower snout will be, along with the wire I loomed up a few weeks ago.
My L67 swap from LesabreT.com - Page 6 MaroonT429

Done for now! Only one part left - the supercharger. After that's together, I'm going to plug in the new Sinister tune to the PCM, check all my data readings, install a bigger tensioner pulley for the supercharger belt, put the belts on, and take it for a drive! Once I'm satisfied with everything, I'll install the rear air shocks.
My L67 swap from LesabreT.com - Page 6 MaroonT431

Only a matter of time now! happy

Last edited by Z-type on Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: My L67 swap from LesabreT.com   My L67 swap from LesabreT.com - Page 6 EmptyThu Apr 12, 2012 11:35 pm

Lotsa cool stuff happening in yer neck of the woods buddy!
Back to top Go down
ghpcnm
Aficionado
ghpcnm

Name : Dave
Merit : 23

PostSubject: Re: My L67 swap from LesabreT.com   My L67 swap from LesabreT.com - Page 6 EmptyFri Apr 13, 2012 12:05 am

Gotta give you a point for all the fine work thumbsup
Back to top Go down
http://www.americantorque.com/page/0/1189/
gmann3001
Fanatic
gmann3001

Name : Glenn W. Peck
Merit : 9

PostSubject: Re: My L67 swap from LesabreT.com   My L67 swap from LesabreT.com - Page 6 EmptyFri Apr 13, 2012 2:16 am

Wow! that's going to be sweet!
Back to top Go down
http://gmann3001@yahoo.com

PostSubject: Re: My L67 swap from LesabreT.com   My L67 swap from LesabreT.com - Page 6 EmptyFri Apr 13, 2012 1:26 pm

7 questions: lol

Did you match the LIM passages to the heads? or go with the more conserative 1.85" by .85"?
How did you find the left to right allignment was on the runners to the head ports? Bang on? or as mine was and needing movement to the side a bit? Isn't it so much easier porting the shorter 92 lim runners wink ?

Its debated, but did you use locktite on the rocker bolts?

Aficionado
Z-type

PostSubject: Re: My L67 swap from LesabreT.com   My L67 swap from LesabreT.com - Page 6 EmptySat Apr 14, 2012 12:11 am

Thanks guys! Believe it or not, a lot of this work is first-time work for me and I'm continuing to surprise myself with how well it's all going. I didn't really start 'getting into' engines until about a year and a half ago, when the coupler on my Riviera gave up. This is fun stuff!

Andrew, if it's ok, I'm going to answer in a list form razz .

1 & 2 - Yes kind of - measured the head ports (individually) with a caliper thing and just slightly under-cut the LIM ports. They're slightly smaller than the heads, but by like .05 mm - not much.
3 - Surprisingly, after I rough-shaped the ports, it was...
4 - ...bang on.
5 - No adjustment needed - the one bolt hole you had trouble with was clear for me - no issues.
6 - oh my yes!
7 - No locktite - didn't see any on the old bolts so I decided not to use it. Luckily, I'm in the position that if something were to come loose, the car can have as much downtime as it needs to be fixed. I don't think that even at 25 ft-lbs it should be much of an issue. I don't run my cars hard at all, anyway.

Thanks for all the advice! You're the best, man!

And thanks everyone else for the compliments and enjoying the show! Much more to come in the next 2 or 3 weeks smile .
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My L67 swap from LesabreT.com   My L67 swap from LesabreT.com - Page 6 EmptySat Apr 14, 2012 6:17 pm

My L67 swap from LesabreT.com - Page 6 IMG_2676

.. I wonder if I should post more pics of this thing? dunno

Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: My L67 swap from LesabreT.com   My L67 swap from LesabreT.com - Page 6 EmptySat Apr 14, 2012 6:29 pm

wow!that looks pretty
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My L67 swap from LesabreT.com   My L67 swap from LesabreT.com - Page 6 Empty

Back to top Go down

My L67 swap from LesabreT.com
Page 6 of 13Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11, 12, 13  Next