Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

FAQ: Series I to Series II / Series III Engine Swap

Go down 
+34
setsuna57
hollywood11
Riv95SC
Hometown Hero
Ryan from Ohio
98inSFl
T Riley
IBx1
Rickw
87TurboRiviera
robotennis61
L67
albertj
triton
manofmany
Lucas
Shintsu
Jeremy
dboy
Buickman104
oldsman105
deekster_caddy
superchargedmoney
BillBoost37
1998 Riv
palermocorey90
RivMan
98riv65lark
AA
Brad95Riv
nothincame2mind
jax95riv
38 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
jax95riv
Aficionado
jax95riv

Name : Jack
Merit : 6

FAQ: Series I to Series II / Series III Engine Swap Empty
PostSubject: FAQ: Series I to Series II / Series III Engine Swap   FAQ: Series I to Series II / Series III Engine Swap EmptyThu May 10, 2007 6:01 pm

Has anyone put a Series II engine in a 95 model Riv? I have an opportunity to get a 98 series II engine and tranny w/ 6?,000 mile for $600. Any idea what's involved in the swap? PCM, engine mounts? wiring harness? Advice please. I won't ask if it's worth the trouble the way you guys talk about the Series II. Thanks for the input.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/468780
jax95riv
Aficionado
jax95riv

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Series I to Series II / Series III Engine Swap   FAQ: Series I to Series II / Series III Engine Swap EmptyThu May 10, 2007 11:33 pm

umm...anyone?
Back to top Go down
nothincame2mind
Aficionado

Name : Ryan
Merit : 20

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Series I to Series II / Series III Engine Swap   FAQ: Series I to Series II / Series III Engine Swap EmptyFri May 11, 2007 1:24 am

Rob was on RegalGS for awhile, but I haven't seen him lately. He was/is RivMan2.

i kinda wish he was on here

http://www.rivman.com/95mods/95mods.htm

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/225449

This is a video of him on a Dyno.

Http://www.RivMan.com/Dyno2005.wmv

There's more on it, but you'll have to do some searching.
Back to top Go down
jax95riv
Aficionado
jax95riv

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Series I to Series II / Series III Engine Swap   FAQ: Series I to Series II / Series III Engine Swap EmptyFri May 11, 2007 6:30 am

Thanks Ryan. I thought 600 is a great price. Am I off the mark or do you guys agree?

Last edited by on Fri May 11, 2007 12:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
jax95riv
Aficionado
jax95riv

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Series I to Series II / Series III Engine Swap   FAQ: Series I to Series II / Series III Engine Swap EmptyFri May 11, 2007 12:49 pm

wow...I thought the Series II guys would have a little more input...rolleyes
Back to top Go down
Brad95Riv
Brad95Riv

Name : Brad
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Series I to Series II / Series III Engine Swap   FAQ: Series I to Series II / Series III Engine Swap EmptyFri May 11, 2007 4:38 pm

Maybe they don't read the Series I section much. happy
Back to top Go down
jax95riv
Aficionado
jax95riv

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Series I to Series II / Series III Engine Swap   FAQ: Series I to Series II / Series III Engine Swap EmptyFri May 11, 2007 5:53 pm

Brad95Riv wrote:
Maybe they don't read the Series I section much. happy

Yeah, kinda feel like we're the black sheep of the riv fam. lol
Back to top Go down
nothincame2mind
Aficionado

Name : Ryan
Merit : 20

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Series I to Series II / Series III Engine Swap   FAQ: Series I to Series II / Series III Engine Swap EmptyFri May 11, 2007 6:49 pm

600 sounds like a great price. I got my L32 for about 1200. Sounds like you got one hell of a deal. Ya, I don't come here often, I just happen to glance through here and saw your post.
Back to top Go down
jax95riv
Aficionado
jax95riv

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Series I to Series II / Series III Engine Swap   FAQ: Series I to Series II / Series III Engine Swap EmptyFri May 11, 2007 7:20 pm

The dyno video is awesome and he's got an unbelievable Riviera! I'm not a big fan of black rims but they look good on his car, EVERYTHING looks good on his car. Looks like I should make this deal happen. Thanks for the links. smile
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 251

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Series I to Series II / Series III Engine Swap   FAQ: Series I to Series II / Series III Engine Swap EmptySat May 12, 2007 9:57 am

I think the biggest issue will be the electronics. I'm sure you can keep a lot of the wiring, but it's probably best to swap the main harnesses along with the engines, as well as the PCMs.

Rob is a member here, he just doesn't post much. You need to communicate with him about this. Try to IM him on AOL at: robstccg, or visit his website: http://www.rivman.com/. Ask him to join in this thread. Rob is a cool guy and will help you out. He has done exactly what you are thinking about with the series II swap.

I think it is worth doing if you want to make your car go faster. There is just so much more aftermarket for the Series II. $600 is a good price for an engine, and you can always sell your Series I to someone in need.

A few links at RegalGS.org:

http://www.regalgs.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22855

http://www.regalgs.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17616

http://www.regalgs.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16859

Good luck!

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
98riv65lark
98riv65lark

PostSubject: Series I to Series II??   FAQ: Series I to Series II / Series III Engine Swap EmptyThu Jun 14, 2007 10:41 pm

How hard would it be? What all would have to be swapped? Theres a cheap Riv for sale in NC but its a 95 (Series I) I have a a wrecked 98 ( Series II ). How much would it cost to swap?
Back to top Go down
RivMan
Amateur

Name : Rob
Merit : 2

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Series I to Series II / Series III Engine Swap   FAQ: Series I to Series II / Series III Engine Swap EmptySun Jun 17, 2007 12:37 am

I did mine with a 97 Riv engine / Trans, 99 GTP PCM / Wiring harness, and a bunch of Wiring. It's not too expensive, but it's a lot of work.

-Rob
Back to top Go down
http://www.RivMan.com
98riv65lark
98riv65lark

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Series I to Series II / Series III Engine Swap   FAQ: Series I to Series II / Series III Engine Swap EmptySun Jun 17, 2007 7:53 am

Did you have to modify the wiring harness?
Back to top Go down
RivMan
Amateur

Name : Rob
Merit : 2

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Series I to Series II / Series III Engine Swap   FAQ: Series I to Series II / Series III Engine Swap EmptyTue Jun 26, 2007 1:09 am

Extensively, it's not an easy job.

-Rob
Back to top Go down
http://www.RivMan.com
palermocorey90
Expert
palermocorey90

Name : Corey
Merit : -24

PostSubject: from series 1 to series 2 swap   FAQ: Series I to Series II / Series III Engine Swap EmptyThu Dec 06, 2007 3:49 pm

i want to know is it really worth it. to swap the engine for just 15 more HP, and is there any difference between series 1 and series 2 other then the M62 and the M90.

i just want to know is it worth the money and time to do the swap
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/glowinstrat
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

Name : Dave
Merit : 44

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Series I to Series II / Series III Engine Swap   FAQ: Series I to Series II / Series III Engine Swap EmptyThu Dec 06, 2007 4:22 pm

Corey, I think you have to ask yourself why you would be doing the swap? If your Series I runs fine and you are OK with your current performance level, then I'd say the answer is not, not worth the time and money. But if you are not satisfied with your Series I performance or general engine operation/condition, it makes more sense to go Series II if you are planning to swap anyway. Of course that may depend on the cost difference, and your own ability to do some of the actual swap work. If you have to pay someone to do a lot of this job, it may not be what you want to do. Don't do the swap just for the hell of it, unless the cost is not a concern. I say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it, but if it IS broke, why not make it better? smile
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

Name : Dave
Merit : 44

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Series I to Series II / Series III Engine Swap   FAQ: Series I to Series II / Series III Engine Swap EmptyThu Dec 06, 2007 4:26 pm

palermocorey90 wrote:
.... and is there any difference between series 1 and series 2 other then the M62 and the M90......

There are significant physical differences between SI and SII engines besides the SC. I can't detail all of them myself, but I believe the valve arrangement is different, heads don't interchange, exhaust manifolds are different.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Series I to Series II / Series III Engine Swap   FAQ: Series I to Series II / Series III Engine Swap EmptyThu Dec 06, 2007 4:28 pm

My opinion is, swap to Series II only if you really plan to take advantage of the aftermarket support (aiming for 13s or better). Otherwise, it's not worth it. Rivman, who is quite knowledgeable and mechanically experienced, will be the first to tell you its not an easy job at all.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
jax95riv
Aficionado
jax95riv

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Series I to Series II / Series III Engine Swap   FAQ: Series I to Series II / Series III Engine Swap EmptyThu Dec 06, 2007 11:26 pm

Lots of the bells and whistles are not going to work if you do the swap. It's seems to be a bigger PITA than what one might think. MY QUESTION IS...Do they make a piggyback for the ECU that will work with our Series I that would allow for "some" tuning??
Back to top Go down
BillBoost37
Junkie

Merit : 26

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Series I to Series II / Series III Engine Swap   FAQ: Series I to Series II / Series III Engine Swap EmptyFri Dec 07, 2007 7:23 am

Hiya guys.. Great thread..

I've done a few swaps. One was a 90 B'ville retro fitted with a 97 L67 and trans one of the others was a B'ville (NA) to SC.

As the others have outlined, it can be done cost effectively if you are doing most of the work yourself/friends. Otherwise it can be cost prohibitive. With the right tools and proper research up front it's rather easy and only time consuming. My thoughts are also 100% on swap if the reasoning is right.

On the last swap I did the car drove in from Plattsburgn NY (~5hours away) we put a fan on the engine to cool it and got to work at 7pm. With much goofing off it took four guys until 5am when we had the car running again with a new heart and legs.

Research is the key here. Know the systems and the wiring changes needed. Make a patch cable from two junkyard wiring harnesses instead of cutting and splicing. An OBD2 pcm can be programmed to ignore vats, most of your inputs to the dash are identical. It's a matter of labor.

Here's a teaser of the 90 B'ville swap. This one was a when time allowed project.
FAQ: Series I to Series II / Series III Engine Swap 072405Supercharged
Back to top Go down
palermocorey90
Expert
palermocorey90

Name : Corey
Merit : -24

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Series I to Series II / Series III Engine Swap   FAQ: Series I to Series II / Series III Engine Swap EmptyFri Dec 07, 2007 8:38 pm

can you give me some tips, i want to have a reasonably quick car, i want mid to low 14, its not fast but quick. quick would a series 2 be better for me or should i stick with series 1. as for mods, i dotn want to do like a full blown engine like just valve train, cam roller rockers ECt. FWI pulley, exhaust and thats about it, i can get a 60K or less series 2 for anywear from 500-900
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/glowinstrat
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Series I to Series II / Series III Engine Swap   FAQ: Series I to Series II / Series III Engine Swap EmptySat Dec 08, 2007 12:33 pm

I think if you do all the basic mods to a Series I, it would be plenty quick. Definitely in the mid 14s. Think of it as money/time saved on a Series II install - to be used for lots of Series I mods. A bonus of a Series I is that high-pitched scream you get from using tiny pulleys.

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
superchargedmoney
Amateur

PostSubject: series I - series II transformation   FAQ: Series I to Series II / Series III Engine Swap EmptyWed Mar 05, 2008 9:31 am

Hi evereyone. I'm new to this forum. I just recently bought a 95 Riviera this past monday and decided to do a little reserch on it, and I ended up here.I didn't even know there where guys out there supping up 3800s. I had no Idea the damn thing is as quick as it is. Actualy I only bought the Riv because the cops pig took my Caprice and I have to get back and forth to school. Istill plan on buying another price but I think I'm gonna end up keeping the Riv. If its gonna be part of the squad it cant stay stock. I was reading about the differences in the series I and series II. I was wondering has anyone tried putting the series II heads on the Series I block. i read that the series II heads increase compression. If the series II heads will fit I want to purchase the whole top end of a series II L67 (cyl. heads, lower intake, M90, etc.) port and polish it and slap it on my series I block. any feedback welcome.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Series I to Series II / Series III Engine Swap   FAQ: Series I to Series II / Series III Engine Swap EmptyWed Mar 05, 2008 10:00 am

Welcome! I don't think you can swap those parts from a series II onto a series I. You'd be better off doing a Series II conversion, getting a full engine/trans, PCM and harness from a later model if you really want to go that route. The Series II have more power and more mods available, plus if you really want to mod it's easier to reprogram an ODB-II PCM.

That said, there is some stuff you can do to a series I so see what fun you can have there before considering a more complicated series II swap.

Welcome to the site! Good luck with your Riv!
-Derek
Back to top Go down
oldsman105
Junkie
oldsman105

Name : Enrique Patino
Merit : 10

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Series I to Series II / Series III Engine Swap   FAQ: Series I to Series II / Series III Engine Swap EmptyWed Mar 05, 2008 10:02 am

the series 2 engine parts will nto bolt up. pushrod length, deck hieght, cam , etc. are all diffrent. .

If you really want to do a series 2 I would look up rivman. He did a full series 2 swap.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Series I to Series II / Series III Engine Swap   FAQ: Series I to Series II / Series III Engine Swap Empty

Back to top Go down

FAQ: Series I to Series II / Series III Engine Swap
Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next