Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Underhood light plug?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Cam
Rookie

Name : Cam
Merit : 0

Underhood light plug?  Empty
PostSubject: Underhood light plug?    Underhood light plug?  EmptyWed Aug 17, 2011 8:19 pm

So, I haven't been here in ages. Last time I was, the transmission was acting up a bit. Well it's completely ruined itself now, but to add more injury to injury, I crashed the Riv. Total cost to fix it will be more than it's worth on the market, and so I put it up for sale and bought a Honda - long story short, driving it has made me realise how much I miss the boat. Thank goodness I slacked off and never actually got rid of the Riv. Now the Honda is going back for sale, I've got a new hood for the Riv and I want to send the Buick into the transmission shop for a replacement rebuilt transmission this weekend. Just need to get the new hood on, but I can't figure out where the underhod lights wire's lead to in the engine bay, or if I'll need to cut and splice. If I can get away with it, only the hood end needs to be disconnected, and I'll remove the mat if I need to, but if there's nothing under there and I need to cut and splice, I'd like to save myself the time. For anyone who's replaced or removed their hood, I appreciate the help.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Underhood light plug?    Underhood light plug?  EmptyWed Aug 17, 2011 9:54 pm

If for some reason you pulled the old one without noticing the wiring, don't wig out. All you have to do is tap the underhood light into the circuit for the parking lights. The underhood light has a mercury switch in it already but if you just wire it hot all the time then it will come on when parked on a steep hill.)

Do you think the easiest thing would be to look at the old one? There's no other wiring going onto the hood. And removing the mat is a piece of cake, just remove the plastic 'christmas trees' with a trim tool and it falls right off. You need to remove the mat to check the light's wiring.
Back to top Go down
Cam
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Underhood light plug?    Underhood light plug?  EmptyThu Aug 18, 2011 12:23 am

I haven't pulled any hood yet, the junkyard hood was already pulled from the donor car when I got to the yard, they cut the wire to that hood but if there's some sort of disconnect up inside the hood under the mat I'll pull it off. I did look at the old hood, but I can't see any connection, so I was asking it was soldered in place or otherwise hard-wired in, such that the only way to remove the hood was to cut the wires. You seem to indicate that their should be a way to pull the wire's without cutting them If I take the mat off, so I'll do that.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Underhood light plug?    Underhood light plug?  EmptyThu Aug 18, 2011 12:45 am

Cam wrote:
I haven't pulled any hood yet, the junkyard hood was already pulled from the donor car when I got to the yard, they cut the wire to that hood but if there's some sort of disconnect up inside the hood under the mat I'll pull it off. I did look at the old hood, but I can't see any connection, so I was asking it was soldered in place or otherwise hard-wired in, such that the only way to remove the hood was to cut the wires. You seem to indicate that their should be a way to pull the wire's without cutting them If I take the mat off, so I'll do that.

I get it. Thanks for the details, I needed those details to give an answer but did not know to ask for them.

That said - I'd just pull the mat off. IIRC the light housing unplugs from the harness. If not just splice the wires at a convenient spot. If any of those 'christmas trees' break you can get replacements at any reasonable auto parts store.
Back to top Go down
Cam
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Underhood light plug?    Underhood light plug?  EmptyThu Aug 18, 2011 10:46 pm

I could have sworn I saw a write-up on how to pull the mat off on here before, but I can't seem to find it. Not wanting to break anything, do I just pry on the plastic clips or is there a technique to it?
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Underhood light plug?    Underhood light plug?  EmptyThu Aug 18, 2011 11:27 pm

Cam wrote:
I could have sworn I saw a write-up on how to pull the mat off on here before, but I can't seem to find it. Not wanting to break anything, do I just pry on the plastic clips or is there a technique to it?

Use a trim tool such as this:

(LINK)

to get under the plastic fastener and remove it. Usually the fastener can be reused, sometimes not. Replacement fasteners are sold in packs at auto parts stores.
Back to top Go down
Cam
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Underhood light plug?    Underhood light plug?  EmptyFri Aug 19, 2011 6:53 pm

I think my brother's got one of those. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Underhood light plug?    Underhood light plug?  Empty

Back to top Go down

Underhood light plug?
Page 1 of 1