Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

97 riv..with slight smoke coming frome front of engine

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
dboydakid
Enthusiast
dboydakid

Name : noah rose
Merit : 0

97 riv..with slight smoke coming frome front of engine Empty
PostSubject: 97 riv..with slight smoke coming frome front of engine   97 riv..with slight smoke coming frome front of engine EmptyFri Sep 09, 2011 4:00 pm

i dont know what it is ,,maybe a oil leak??? n e body had this problem?
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: 97 riv..with slight smoke coming frome front of engine   97 riv..with slight smoke coming frome front of engine EmptyFri Sep 09, 2011 4:16 pm

Have you changed the oil recently?

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
dboydakid
Enthusiast
dboydakid

PostSubject: Re: 97 riv..with slight smoke coming frome front of engine   97 riv..with slight smoke coming frome front of engine EmptyFri Sep 09, 2011 4:22 pm

yea about a month ago..it was doing it before that too..just a small amount of smoke
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: 97 riv..with slight smoke coming frome front of engine   97 riv..with slight smoke coming frome front of engine EmptyFri Sep 09, 2011 4:26 pm

Oil leak from the front valve cover dripping onto the manifold? scratch
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: 97 riv..with slight smoke coming frome front of engine   97 riv..with slight smoke coming frome front of engine EmptyFri Sep 09, 2011 7:38 pm

might be smoke - or might be steam.

Hey Noah - if there is already condensation on your car (you park your car outside and there is dew on it for instance) there is probably condensation on your radiator and it will start to "smoke" as soon as the circulating coolant begins to warm up.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
dboydakid
Enthusiast
dboydakid

PostSubject: Re: 97 riv..with slight smoke coming frome front of engine   97 riv..with slight smoke coming frome front of engine EmptyFri Sep 09, 2011 8:37 pm

imma check the valve covers tomorrow...if it is coming fromthere ..how do i fix it?

and your right it might be the radiator.imma chek dat too
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: 97 riv..with slight smoke coming frome front of engine   97 riv..with slight smoke coming frome front of engine EmptyFri Sep 09, 2011 11:02 pm

dboydakid wrote:
imma check the valve covers tomorrow...if it is coming fromthere ..how do i fix it?

and your right it might be the radiator.imma chek dat too

if coming from valve covers, you replace the valve cover gaskets. If it is really coming from that vicinity it might well be the lower intake manifold gaskets, which are known to leak until you replace the OE (plastic) ones with aftermarket (metal) ones available form the dealers or many parts stores.
Back to top Go down
dboydakid
Enthusiast
dboydakid

PostSubject: Re: 97 riv..with slight smoke coming frome front of engine   97 riv..with slight smoke coming frome front of engine EmptySat Sep 10, 2011 4:50 pm

wich is better metal or plastic???? if i get them from rock auto???
Back to top Go down
rk0ehn
Enthusiast
rk0ehn

Name : Christian Rolf Köhn
Merit : 14

PostSubject: Re: 97 riv..with slight smoke coming frome front of engine   97 riv..with slight smoke coming frome front of engine EmptySat Sep 10, 2011 9:35 pm

Some of the improved aftermarket gaskets are made of steel or aluminum which will fix de OEM LIM gasket failure and yes you can get them from rockauto.com wink
Back to top Go down
dboydakid
Enthusiast
dboydakid

PostSubject: Re: 97 riv..with slight smoke coming frome front of engine   97 riv..with slight smoke coming frome front of engine EmptySat Sep 10, 2011 10:24 pm

thanks..im on there now..and kinda confused at wich ones to get..smh..u can tell im new to this..
Back to top Go down
rk0ehn
Enthusiast
rk0ehn

PostSubject: Re: 97 riv..with slight smoke coming frome front of engine   97 riv..with slight smoke coming frome front of engine EmptySat Sep 10, 2011 11:04 pm

I'll go with the 2nd desing the FEL-PRO one (PART#: MS959771) $42.89

This is the description directly from FEL-PRO:

"Leaks at the intake manifold allow too much air to enter the engine, creating problems such as rough idling and stumbling on acceleration. Fel-Pro intake manifold gaskets solve the problem.

The intake gaskets, made of a rubber or fiber facing over a steel core, use the Fel-Pro PermaTorque® design. Fel-Pro also offers PermaDryPlus® intake manifold gaskets designed specifically to address tough sealing issues and to help ensure a tight seal and prevent leaks."

Last edited by rk0ehn on Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
dboydakid
Enthusiast
dboydakid

PostSubject: Re: 97 riv..with slight smoke coming frome front of engine   97 riv..with slight smoke coming frome front of engine EmptySun Sep 11, 2011 2:11 am

hey thanks alot bro..i see your rivi is stock...why no mods?
Back to top Go down
rk0ehn
Enthusiast
rk0ehn

PostSubject: Re: 97 riv..with slight smoke coming frome front of engine   97 riv..with slight smoke coming frome front of engine EmptyThu Sep 15, 2011 9:56 pm

dboydakid wrote:
hey thanks alot bro..i see your rivi is stock...why no mods?

LOL, I'll be working on it, money is tight and gas price is just going up and up, i'll do only slight mods no big ones and i'll most likely work on exterior and multimedia. smile

and no problem wink
Back to top Go down
rk0ehn
Enthusiast
rk0ehn

PostSubject: Re: 97 riv..with slight smoke coming frome front of engine   97 riv..with slight smoke coming frome front of engine EmptyThu Sep 15, 2011 10:04 pm

By the way I’m having this problem too, Oil is coming from the valve covers falling onto the exhaust manifolds: rolleyes:
Back to top Go down
dboydakid
Enthusiast
dboydakid

PostSubject: Re: 97 riv..with slight smoke coming frome front of engine   97 riv..with slight smoke coming frome front of engine EmptySat Sep 17, 2011 1:34 pm

^^^ damn...i just recently went under my car and it is drops of oil dripping from corners and stuff but there is no leak under the car..so it has to be coming from the engine area or something SMH..could it still be the valve covers?
Back to top Go down
rk0ehn
Enthusiast
rk0ehn

PostSubject: Re: 97 riv..with slight smoke coming frome front of engine   97 riv..with slight smoke coming frome front of engine EmptySat Sep 17, 2011 4:10 pm

It could be.... have you checked the spark plug boots to see if there is sign of oil? On the exhaust manifolds? Oil filter? Under the SC near the LIM? What about the cylinder heads? Oil pan gasket? Oil pan bolts?

For instance I have oil drops right below the AC compressor, pure engine oil, not AC oil. confused

Try to check those areas, but you might get some dirty hands...
Back to top Go down
dboydakid
Enthusiast
dboydakid

PostSubject: Re: 97 riv..with slight smoke coming frome front of engine   97 riv..with slight smoke coming frome front of engine EmptySat Sep 17, 2011 4:25 pm

I CHECKED UNDER THE CAR..AT THE FILTER, BOLTS, EXHAUST MANIFOLDS...THERE IS NO OIL ON THE SCREW ON THE PAN ...SOMEBODY TOLD ME I NEED TO GET MY ENGINE CLEANED ..SO I CAN SEE WHERE THE OIL IS COMING FROM BUT THERE IS REALLY NO SIGN OF OIL UNDER THE HOOD..JUST THE LIGHT SMOKE AT TIMES..AND SMELL ...WHEN I LOOKED UNDER THE CAR YESTERDAY WAS REALLY THE FIRST TIME I ACTUALLY SAW THE OIL DRIPPING..BEFORE I COULD ONLY SMELL AND SEE THE SMOKE
Back to top Go down
rk0ehn
Enthusiast
rk0ehn

PostSubject: Re: 97 riv..with slight smoke coming frome front of engine   97 riv..with slight smoke coming frome front of engine EmptySat Sep 17, 2011 4:47 pm

Hmm... Well yes you should clean the engine first with engine degreser and do an "engine wash" drive it for 100 miles or so and check again it should give you a better idea where exactly the oil dripping is coming from.
Back to top Go down
dboydakid
Enthusiast
dboydakid

PostSubject: Re: 97 riv..with slight smoke coming frome front of engine   97 riv..with slight smoke coming frome front of engine EmptySat Sep 17, 2011 5:15 pm

ok..see thats where i get lost..because i dont know how to clean it..i always think im going to mess something up..ive been looking for a place to do it..but cant find one
Back to top Go down
rk0ehn
Enthusiast
rk0ehn

PostSubject: Re: 97 riv..with slight smoke coming frome front of engine   97 riv..with slight smoke coming frome front of engine EmptySat Sep 17, 2011 10:15 pm

Ok, well if you buy a can of engine degreaser it will tell you the instruction on the back of the can.

But here is a more detail and easy way to do it, relatively inexpensive but effective...

http://www.ehow.com/how_2118568_clean-engine-compartment.html

Note: step number 3 will not apply in our engines as the battery is located under the back seat.

and finally on step number 8 will tell you what you’re looking for wink be sure to cover very well the IGN COILS and Alternator very well with plastic bags or aluminum foil!
Back to top Go down
dboydakid
Enthusiast
dboydakid

PostSubject: Re: 97 riv..with slight smoke coming frome front of engine   97 riv..with slight smoke coming frome front of engine EmptySun Sep 18, 2011 2:03 am

thanx bro
Back to top Go down
rk0ehn
Enthusiast
rk0ehn

PostSubject: Re: 97 riv..with slight smoke coming frome front of engine   97 riv..with slight smoke coming frome front of engine EmptyMon Sep 19, 2011 7:49 pm

Not a problem my Firend! tavis
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 97 riv..with slight smoke coming frome front of engine   97 riv..with slight smoke coming frome front of engine Empty

Back to top Go down

97 riv..with slight smoke coming frome front of engine
Page 1 of 1